Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World or The Secret Rip-Off?

dannicusdannicus Member UncommonPosts: 99

I just started playing this game, it has some nice features but so far little to none group involvement and it's pretty boring. Anyway I'm sure the game becomes more interesting and group involvement as you play but the issue that bothers me is the combination of an item-mall and a pay to play subscription. 

Not only is the game about 15 dollars a month but many of the appearance changes, titles, pets, wardrobe and even a haircut cost extra real life cash. That to me is ridiculous and unethical capitalism. This game is definitely not worth it when it cost you over a dollar USD just to change your toons lipstick.

Shame on Funcom.

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Appearance changes -- there are hundreds of different clothes obtainable ingame without paying anything.

Haircuts - you get 2 free haircut tokens obtainable via missions.

There are a few pets and titles that are shop-exclusive, pretty much equal to WoW.

The shop apart from a few pets does not really offer anything. Most of the people do not use it.

REALITY CHECK

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145

Do we need more people complaining about prices and such? The 15 dollars haven't risen with inflation like everything else so its an understandable way of doing things. Maybe not wise or w/e but the shop is cosmetic so its not a huge issue anyways.

The game had great story and I like the skill wheel but it really is just a straight grind at later levels unfortunately when you start running HM dungeons.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    If it's not worth it to you, i'd say dont bother. I played the beta and found the combat dull and the mystery solving even more dull (the game wasn't made for me, but i can sort of see how some people might like the so called puzzles). As for the micro transactions, if the 1 dollar just to change your lipstick is true, that's goofy. Otherwise it's just extra stuff you don't need. At the same time, other games handle it better. Thens like character rename and extra slots etc
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

What form of physical or mental torture have they used to make you spend more money then the subscription fee?

Nipple clamps?

Playing Rick Astley songs 24/7?

Forcing you to PvP in MO as F2P?

Or are you incapable of moderating yourself?

• dannicusdannicus Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by RandomDown

Do we need more people complaining about prices and such? The 15 dollars haven't risen with inflation like everything else so its an understandable way of doing things. Maybe not wise or w/e but the shop is cosmetic so its not a huge issue anyways.

The game had great story and I like the skill wheel but it really is just a straight grind at later levels unfortunately when you start running HM dungeons.

I do like the skill wheel, I think all mmo's should skip class creation and just base a toon on a talent tree or wheel like TSW.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    What is funny is nothign you can  buy in the item mall is actually game breaking, for the most part it is all vanity items, and so nothing wrong or unethical at all for charging for it. There is alot in tsw that is bad from the combat in ways, to the fact it is zoned oveer completely open-world, but the item mall so far is not part of that. Also there is alot you can purchase in game that is not for rl money that is vanity, and that if you do not find the item mall items worth the money, or just not willing to support the game by buying from the item mall can be gained via in game money. Also an item mall is a great way for the company to give the  players that stay playing the game the ability to gain somethign,  while still supporting a game they enjoy without it being a pay-to win shop like some other games do have.
    Originally posted by Thillian

Appearance changes -- there are hundreds of different clothes obtainable ingame without paying anything.

There are a few pets and titles that are shop-exclusive, pretty much equal to WoW.

The shop apart from a few pets does not really offer anything. Most of the people do not use it.

well that's good to know but I still don't trust a game that has so many angles on getting a persons real cash.

I believe TSW has the best combat system. All the critique about the combat in TSW comes from early beta players. The combat is extremely fast if your build is fast, or extremely slow, if your build is about survivabiltiy, or anything in between those two extremes. That's the beauty of it.

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by Maelwydd

What form of physical or mental torture have they used to make you spend more money then the subscription fee?

Nipple clamps?

no but I see this as a bad direction for MMO's in general. It's like Cable TV at one time had no commercials, it was sold as commercial-free tv for a fee but now it's loaded wth commercials and you still pay a fee.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by dannicus

well that's good to know but I still don't trust a game that has so many angles on getting a persons real cash.

So how they are supposed to make money? I don't mind cash shops for stuff that you don't need to have to play the game.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

It was fine until I got to transilvania, at that point it became what kind of content to repeat every 3 days, while grinding out the wheel. 

Combat animations were boorking and half the time my toon with AR looked like his hands were empty and playing air guitar.  Then you load up fist weapons and it was the same 3 animations.  

So yes the game was good for a couple of months after that well it became a repeatable grind, and this so called stuff the added like the theater, did nothing to entice me to come back to play.  They honestly need a lot more content.   The rocket launcher mission only took 1 hour and boom done, then just more grind on the wheel, I am sure the chainsaw was the same.

If you like repeatable daily grinds then you will love this game otherwise stay away. 

Is there a company that wouldnt do it? 

I'm playing TSW since its release, and haven't pay a single cent in their cash shop. The shop is just a premium extra for some additional cosmetic needs; the shop cosmetic items don't even look any special really. If it helps to rise some more money for the company to fund more content, then I'm happy with it.

REALITY CHECK

I believe TSW has the best combat system. All the critique about the combat in TSW comes from early beta players. The combat is extremely fast if your build is fast, or extremely slow, if your build is about survivabiltiy, or anything in between those two extremes. That's the beauty of it.

It is not really for me or many i play with that the speed is the issue, but the fact of how generic the combat/abilties feel at large. Though in truth tsw was not really made a a combat focused game, but more of a story game, and lore exploration game with combat being more secondary. The idea, and concept are great, but i think many of the aspect implimented were not as fleshed out, and many of the abilties lacked a uniqueness that would have made the combat much better an less bland.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

So how they are supposed to make money? I don't mind cash shops for stuff that you don't need to have to play the game.

they already charge 15 dollars a month, about 12.5 a month for a year or 200 dollars for a life time sub.

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145

I like the skill wheel a lot too. Made/makes for some fun theorycraftin and gimmick builds. I enjoyed the combat as well.

Once again, 15 dollars just isnt that much. Once again, MMO sub prices did not rise with inflation like cable tv as that example was used earlier. Costs have gone up, currency value has changed, and they remained static for the last decade. If they changed their sub fee to 25+ then I tihnk it would be a reasonable argument that perhaps the cash shop wasn't necessary but even if it still had it, its a purely cosmetic cash shop that has no huge influence. Your character can look pretty awesome without anything there since its nothing special as the guy noted above.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

game is ok for me with all what have,sub,cash shop,combat,content,....i dont care for story & cut scenes but many others love it...

I am not change my mind,TSW is best mmorpg after 2005.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

they already charge 15 dollars a month, about 12.5 a month for a year or 200 dollars for a life time sub.

The fact is that they are a company which is in the business of making money, and if having a shop that you can buy item or survices for real money enables them to make more money they will do that. Nothign wrong, or unethical at all, as you have the choice to spend or not, and you still pay to play the content that the game has. None of the items are needed or required to do mission, instances, or combat,  just to customize the look of your character.  I would find a company that does not look for methods of creating more profit, and revenue from their product more problemic.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I won't play the game with a sub. I can't say that's because the game isn't worth it though. I think they've done a really good job, and the game is pretty close to what they said they were going to do. I'm just (a) tired of subs and (b) tired of quest hub driven MMORPG progression.

I think they did a great job with the quests, but it just felt too much like running between quest hubs, doing the same old stuff I did with every other quest hub game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Asuran24

It is not really for me or many i play with that the speed is the issue, but the fact of how generic the combatabilties feel at large. Thoughh in truth tsw was not really made a a combat focused game, but more of a story game, and lore exploration game with combat being more secondary. The idea, and concept are great, but i think many of the aspect implimented were not as fleshed out, and many of the abilties lacked a uniqueness that would have made the combat much better an less bland.

I respect your opinion, but I totally disagree with it. I think the abilities are well designed, there are a lot of unique abilities and picking up the right synergies between them is like a deck-building game. For instance, there are three types of healers, fist healers, which rely on critical hits of their dots multiplying by passive abilities, leech-healers that heal others by hitting enemies + giving life-leech buffs on others that can then acts as healer by themselves for a short time, or blood-healers that heal by adding barriers and prevention-bubbles.

Plus don't forget, you can use 2 weapons simultaneously, so as a healer you can mix those healing-specs any way you want, or even add some DPS specs (Assault Rifles + Shotguns) or buffing specs (Fists+Pistols) or even being a tank-healer (Sword/Hammer + Blood) or whatever you like. 

REALITY CHECK

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Nipple clamps?

no but I see this as a bad direction for MMO's in general. It's like Cable TV at one time had no commercials, it was sold as commercial-free tv for a fee but now it's loaded wth commercials and you still pay a fee.

Well just like TV, some channels have adverts some don't. Watch the ones that don't if it bothers you. But don't accuse a company of some sort of ethical money grabbing crime when they are OPTIONAL.

Nipple clamps?

Well just like TV, some channels have adverts some don't. Watch the ones that don't if it bothers you. But don't accuse a company of some sort of ethical money grabbing crime when they are OPTIONAL.

What are you talking about? I didn't accuse them of a crime or being ethical. I do think it's an unethical business practice by Funcom. 

Originally posted by Asuran24

It is not really for me or many i play with that the speed is the issue, but the fact of how generic the combatabilties feel at large. Thoughh in truth tsw was not really made a a combat focused game, but more of a story game, and lore exploration game with combat being more secondary. The idea, and concept are great, but i think many of the aspect implimented were not as fleshed out, and many of the abilties lacked a uniqueness that would have made the combat much better an less bland.

I respect your opinion, but I totally disagree with it. I think the abilities are well designed, there are a lot of unique abilities and picking up the right synergies between them is like a deck-building game. For instance, there are three types of healers, fist healers, which rely on critical hits of their dots multiplying by passive abilities, leech-healers that heal others by hitting enemies + giving life-leech buffs on others that can then acts as healer by themselves for a short time, or blood-healers that heal by adding barriers and prevention-bubbles.

Plus don't forget, you can use 2 weapons simultaneously, so as a healer you can mix those healing-specs any way you want, or even add some DPS specs (Assault Rifles + Shotguns) or buffing specs (Fists+Pistols) or even being a tank-healer (Sword/Hammer + Blood) or whatever you like. 

Yes but you  are talking about the function of the ability, which alot of speccs have an interesting way of working, but also many times within the same school of abilties (blood, chaos, what have you.) they do not diviate vary much. Also the look of the abiltiy can be quite bland looking and sometimes even very minor diferences in appeanrce to other abilties in the game wheel.  They kinda took the idea of focusing the areas of the wheel on one or maybe two facts too far, as if they had two or more ways of healing that were unique per school, such as a blood mage that could shield, or could redirect the damage being taken by the group around diffently or even funnel it to a certain person it would have gave more veriety to the wheel as well. Also the limited bar space lead to alot of feeling the abilties were confining as well as copied, i mean you do nnot need 20 active abilties, but having 10 to 15 would not have been bad an added more to the veiriety of the combat too.

I loved the idea of abilties having differing effects based on the status of the target when they are used, yet they kept the number of statuses rather limited as well, which seemed odd to me as you could have six types of statuses that would have lead to mroe abilties having alt effects based on the status of the target being target or casting it.  One of the killers for me was the lack of a true pet-based or partical pet-based school, as really in myths an legends summoner style character that use minions or such are quite common, an for me one of those styles of combat i like for the micro-management side of the aspect.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Nipple clamps?

What are you talking about? I didn't accuse them of a crime or being ethical. I do think it's an unethical business practice by Funcom. 

but tis ok for wow to have a sub and cash shop?

Nipple clamps?

Why? Is it needed/required for you to play to buy from the shop? Does it give the players that pay an un-fair advantage against you? Are they swindling you out of your money unfairly or cheating you out of your money? Because in truth the fact is no one at funcom is telling you that you have to buy the item in the shop to  play, or that you do not have other options to gain vanity items, but that you can buy items from the shop for a fee.  Also it is within standard practices to charge a customer for extra for items or services that are outside of the original purchase. Such as charging you extra for cheese on a sandwitch that does not come with  it, or extra letuce, or even for added features on a car that are not stadard issue.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

It has become commonplace to have a cash shop of some kind associated with mmos. The biggest arguments have to do with P2W items in the cash shop, and most folks don't seem to mind at all when the items are merely cosmetic or vanity items. This is the TSW model.

Welcome to 2012.