Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any idea how to save this game?

2»

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Rider071

They need to fix the invisible armies in WvWvW.

Everything else is secondary.

Anyone with any iota of PvP-manship has left long ago for better pvp games because of this one bug/exploit, that ANet will not fix nor announce any plans to.

The ones saying it's not a problem, are the ones clamoring to the ability like a fly to dung.

This

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by palulalula
    What could be done to save this game? People was already bored after few weeks and now you can't find anyone for grouping. What was going wrong? Maybe open world pvp or gear with stats?

Nothing is wrong with the game. People are grouping less for traditional dungeons because once you have a full set, there is no reason to keep doing them.

Open world PvP will never work in this game, ever, and it is never going to happen because the game is built around everyone working together from outside of groups.

The answer to the grouping problem has already been started by ANet, but has recieved severe backlash. ANet really cant win on the subject. Either they add long term PvE goals, and the anti-grinders will rant and rave, or they leave it as is and people will complain that noone wants to run dungeons with their 5th alt. Personally I think they need rare drop unique items in each of the dungeons. Kind of like how they used to have rare drop unique weapons in GW1.

When something is guaranteed after X amount of runs, like the faction armor and weapons, people will stop as soon as they have everything they need. Its just common sense. There needs to be rare drop long term goals in each of the dungeons to keep them busy. This could either be appearance gear, or more powerful gear, depending on how ANet want to handle it. But there needs to be something other than legendary weapon grinds.

• SultrySyrenSultrySyren Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Theres nothing to save, the game is doing better then the Devs imagined and despite some issues the game continues to do good and have good retention.

Taken from the Colin Johanson interview: http://gamingbolt.com/guild-wars-2-interview-we-talk-to-areanet-about-how-the-mmorpg-has-been-doing-post-launch

more people who purchased the game so far since it came out than any of the numbers we expected. Our last big November weekend- at the high point in the weekend, we were using about 90% of our total server bandwidth for the demand of all the players logging in. And that was just awesome to see. It’s not something that we necessarily expected to be quite so big and we’re continuing to grow. And it’s just really humbling and really exciting to see how much people are falling in love with the game over a short period of time.

Yeah, but the 90% was during the trial weekend after content release. How many people stuck around after? Those numbers are really skewed. 

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Well ok, maybe i'm blind. I think they lie about server stats. How can server be a full and i see only few players around? AND guys i record now some movie to show how empty my server is, we will see who is liar  or troll
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I'm still loving GW2. For my playstyle I see no problems.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by tank017

Theres nothing to save, the game is doing better then the Devs imagined and despite some issues the game continues to do good and have good retention.

Taken from the Colin Johanson interview: http://gamingbolt.com/guild-wars-2-interview-we-talk-to-areanet-about-how-the-mmorpg-has-been-doing-post-launch

more people who purchased the game so far since it came out than any of the numbers we expected. Our last big November weekend- at the high point in the weekend, we were using about 90% of our total server bandwidth for the demand of all the players logging in. And that was just awesome to see. It’s not something that we necessarily expected to be quite so big and we’re continuing to grow. And it’s just really humbling and really exciting to see how much people are falling in love with the game over a short period of time.

Not saying the game is doing poorly,but a Dev isnt going to flat out say his game is doing terrible.

But in this case,GW2 is doing as well as any other theme park.After a couple months people get bored and move on to other things,with those still interested sticking around of course.As far as I go,Im really only interested in the special events at this point.

Even tough the game is free there is more content updates then in any previous MMO. The trick of a free 2 playmmo is not to keeppeople constantly playing, but to allow them to constantly return to the game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HedakeHedake Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I think the game if fine for the most part like it is, the only real issue I have with the game is the combat mechanics (specifically lack of abilities, still feels a little clunky) and the NPC AI. But the WvW is fun and the game is beautiful.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    What could be done to save this game? People was already bored after few weeks and now you can't find anyone for grouping. What was going wrong? Maybe open world pvp or gear with stats?

I didn't realise it has to be saved... I tought it was doing pretty damn well.

I find it odd that you can't find a group for a dungeon (unless you're looking for one at wee hours) since there's always a bunch of people standing in front of every dungeon and spamming chat with "LFG"/"LFM"...

Maybe you should switch servers so it suits your playing time better? Switch to EU if you're in US or vice-versa if the regular peak time doesn't suit your gaming habbit or just switch server in general if your server is not that populated?

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    The game does not need any saving, it is a success story.

I would hardly call it that :(

Where is the messiah of MMORPG gaming that the rabid fan boys promised?

Where is the game that would stomp ALL other MMORPGs into the dust that the rabid fan boys promised?

Where is the unique and innovative experience that the rabid fan boys promised?

All we have got is a lacklustre themepark game that simply copies ideas from a lot of other themepark games and then dumbs everything down...

This is NOT the game we were promised...which explains why people are bored of it after about 2 weeks...

Even SWTOR holds peoples interest a lot longer than 2 weeks ha ha :)

Driz

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

There are games that already have what you want. Why can't there be games out there for everyone else?

Open world PvP - totally non-balanced (every game I played with it) and just a gank fest. No fun, except for the little minds who think ganking is fun.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

Where is the game that would stomp ALL other MMORPGs into the dust that the rabid fan boys promised?

All we have got is a lacklustre themepark game that simply copies ideas from a lot of other themepark games and then dumbs everything down...

This is NOT the game we were promised...which explains why people are bored of it after about 2 weeks...

Driz

Actually, it does hold people's interest. The problem is, people who treat it like every other MMO out there and rush to 80 by playing 8-12 hours a day, would get bored with ANY game.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

:scratch self:

I should go make breakfast.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Well ok, maybe i'm blind. I think they lie about server stats. How can server be a full and i see only few players around? AND guys i record now some movie to show how empty my server is, we will see who is liar  or troll

The same way WoW servers can be full and yet you run through the world and see noone. Because everyone is hanging out at the hubs. In GW2's case, its Lions Arch, the Mists and WvW.

Although even on my 3rd alt I still see 3-4 people at pretty much every DE. Which is more than I see in low level zones of WoW, EQ2 or Rift.

Originally posted by botrytis

Driz

Actually, it does hold people's interest. The problem is, people who treat it like every other MMO out there and rush to 80 by playing 8-12 hours a day, would get bored with ANY game.

lol...and what about all the threads on these very boards that say things like "I have a level 32 X and cant force myself to log in any more" or "I only got two weeks in and am bored to tears"...there are many, many threads with similar experiences/opinions...

All of those players were not rushing, dont tell me, they are ALL doing it wrong or some other random excuse for the games many shortcoming....

It genuinely comes to something when even SWTOR has more interest than the "messiah of MMORPGs" lol...

Driz

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    I don't need some dev to tell me the game is doing well or some troll to say it isn't. I only have to log in and see players wherever I go 24/7 to make my own mind up.

Driz

lol...and what about all the threads on these very boards that say things like "I have a level 32 X and cant force myself to log in any more" or "I only got two weeks in and am bored to tears"...there are many, many threads with similar experiences/opinions...

All of those players were not rushing, dont tell me, they are ALL doing it wrong or some other random excuse for the games many shortcoming....

It genuinely comes to something when even SWTOR has more interest than the "messiah of MMORPGs" lol...

Driz

You have no idea whether the few negative posts are representative of the greater population.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I don't think there is anything wrong with GW2.  Once again, the MMO community at large overhyped itself into thinking GW2 would usher in a new generation of MMOs.  This happened with SWTOR.  I remember for months, the devs made it clear SWTOR wasn't going to be a huge a departure with the exception of a pillar gameplay largely dedicated to story.  And yet, the MMO community was "surprised".

I have the luxury of rotating between TSW, Rift and GW2 and enjoy each of those games very much on their own merits.  Each one has its own issues but are still very enjoyable.  Rift at times can be a bit too 'vanilla MMO'.  TSW still has a fairly lackluster endgame (instance grinding).  GW2 feels like its still trying to resolve what it wants to "be".  Each game is full of lots of love and game and each is far from perfect.

Originally posted by evilastro

Driz

Driz

You have no idea whether the few negative posts are representative of the greater population.

You have no idea whether the few positive posts are representative of the greater population.

See how that works? :)

Driz

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    GW2 doesnt need saving, despite the negativity I have about some areas, the game is doing well beyond expectations.  Anet never expected players to play GW2 like a sub based MMO, they said from the start they expect players to come and go and play other games.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

So... we trust everything Anet says but don't believe a word that comes out of Blizzard's mouth. Sounds about right for this site....

• VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72

I agree with the posts that push forward the need to fix the basic game first. Remove the list of knee-jerk hotfixes such as anti-farm code that ruined the game for the players more than it did for the goldsellers/botters. Re-examine the state of the Trading Post and crafting and understand something. Hardcore RPG'ers dont want their hand held in any phase of the game and there are more than just hardcore dungeon runners who want to enjoy a specific area of this game. The crafting choices need an overhaul that allows real commerce to occur, The trading post needs to remove the bid/sell crutches and install timelimits on items offered.

ANET's microtranactions need to be about buying gems to purchase upgrades from ANET and not about buying gold to purchase overinflated legendaries and exotics. As long as this mind-set is in place the argument exists that this is a form of pay to win. Gems should = snowflakes and not DPS.

Take care of glitched DE's and quests that leave you with an NPC stuck and the chain you had followed for 45 minutes now is an uncompletable waste of time.  Contrary to other posts, these most certainly are gamebreakers.

There is population in the start zones and in Lion's Arch ... why? Start zones - easy , some new players and some alts. Lions Arch has turned into nothing but the Fotm recruitment area for gear checking elitists. Everything in between has so few players because ANET's fractal decision took the rest of the gameworld and tossed it aside in favor of one dungeon.

This is an easy fix in one of 2 ways. The less viable option, drop the new gear items out of the fractals and replace it with top end exotic and legendaries. The more acceptable option. Encourage world exploration by putting these new drop items in all zones. mosty in DE's but even a chance to drop in standard events if they scale up beyond a certain level due to mass participation.

I would shelve the new content until all of this is fixed and functional.

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by tank017

Not saying the game is doing poorly,but a Dev isnt going to flat out say his game is doing terrible.

But in this case,GW2 is doing as well as any other theme park.After a couple months people get bored and move on to other things,with those still interested sticking around of course.As far as I go,Im really only interested in the special events at this point.

So him openly saying "We're doing well" isn't enough to believe GW2 is actually doing alright, instead you insist that GW2 is just another failing themepark, based on what? Until you can actually prove that GW2 is doing badly (with cash shop revenue dalling more than expected, ect.) you just come across as a disappointed gamer who wanted/wants GW2 to be something else than what it is - not that i'd blame you for that, but still, GW2 isn't doing badly.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Driz

Driz

Well. The game is everything I expected it to be!

With it's new content update in the first months live and with more content updates in the following months it's the most I ever got out of the mmorpg so far in my gaming history.

It's exactly what they told us it'll be (except the ascended gear, that remains to be seen how that'll work when they implement it fully in all dungeons or whatever).

P.S. Maybe for you, but SWTOR didn't kept me interested for even 2 full months... 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This thread was indeed made to stir people up. Locked.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.