Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] with Colin - huge content updates in the coming months

Comments

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    More Dungeons, Zones or Events wont bring people back, or will do for a few days since the game is free but they need to fix the PvP and the zerg-aoe-spam-fest that is the WvWvW at the moment, same with the Spvp, more maps without new mechanics, is still the same bored and casual PvP.  
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    I'm actually dying to see what they have in store for their first expansion if they're handing out so much in these free monthly updates.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Hoping for a reduction in grind to actually go in line with their zero grind philosophy (see reddit ama), less gated content, no additional VP, major bugfixing and gvg content in either wvw or spvp. Also, give me ladders, leaderboards, spectator, matchmaking for spvp. New modes/maps for spvp and wvw, which strategists (in spvp) can embrace would also be nice.

Don't make existing pve content redundant, scale players accordingly to make all pve content relevant, give comparable rewards across all regions and also scale gear down. Follow your own rule of making everything endgame. Add more dungeons like UW, FoW and DoA and add more diverse armor to light and medium. Add more maps to wvw and heavily reduce loading screens in all areas of the game. For the future, make the world seamless.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    Hoping for a reduction in grind to actually go in line with their zero grind philosophy (see reddit ama), less gated content, no additional VP, major bugfixing and gvg content in either wvw or spvp. Also, give me ladders, leaderboards, spectator, matchmaking for spvp. New modes/maps for spvp and wvw, which strategists (in spvp) can embrace would also be nice.

Don't make existing pve content redundant, scale players accordingly to make all pve content relevant, give comparable rewards across all regions and also scale gear down. Follow your own rule of making everything endgame. Add more dungeons like UW, FoW and DoA and add more diverse armor to light and medium. Add more maps to wvw and heavily reduce loading screens in all areas of the game. For the future, make the world seamless.

If long loading times annoy you, investing in a SSD will help.

Considering the way DE are set up and that sometimes DEs get stuck, the way overflow servers are set and the fact this game has a heavy physics engine compared to old MMORPGs (the game track all the projectiles and they interact with the vegetation as do players), I don't see a seamless world happening any time soon.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Volgore

Sounds good, but i guess alot of players would prefer them to fix their basic game in first place.

The state of many mechanics, systems and classes is still embarrasing, while ANet's communication (or shall i say "attitude") is just unprofessional.

Got my money's worth though, but no amount of content is going to bring me back as long as they don't get their basic game together.

I think you overstate the problems. Nothing you mentioned is "game breaking". Look at any of the other mmos that have been out for 5 years or more and they still are balancing classes. 

Ts not only ballancing, but many skills and traist have been bugged since BWE 1, they really needto pull their act together and startballancing for PvE and WvWvW instead of sPvP.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by remyburke

Hopefully they add something that makes me want to log in again. Here's my wishlist:

Fix your horrid dungeons. Bring in the trinity!

No to the trinity. If they can find a way to make both systems work I'm ok with it, but if we end up waiting for a particular class in our groups I'm out of the game.

I think most people agree with you. 

I do agree, the trinity has no place in GW2, if everyone only would understand the new combat system... And use their controll and support skills when needed, and on top of that get situational awareness, they would see that in GW2, the power of a good group is much more then the sum of the individuals

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by remyburke

Hopefully they add something that makes me want to log in again. Here's my wishlist:

Fix your horrid dungeons. Bring in the trinity!

No to the trinity. If they can find a way to make both systems work I'm ok with it, but if we end up waiting for a particular class in our groups I'm out of the game.

I think most people agree with you. 

I do agree, the trinity has no place in GW2, if everyone only would understand the new combat system... And use their controll and support skills when needed, and on top of that get situational awareness, they would see that in GW2, the power of a good group is much more then the sum of the individuals

People just want to mash the keys and not worry about anything else. Why should I heal, I am DPS........ Those are the issues.

It is nice to see they are planning for the future. I think the bugs they have right now are tricky and without a fine touch in fixing, could very well impact the game in a major way. I am happy they are not just slapping fixes out ehich break other things.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    I think by now we should all realize that this game will dish out more content than it will fix old one.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Even bigger content patches in Jan. and Feb.? And World vs World extensions in Feb. too?

For free?

And people still complain?

Thanks a lot for the link, that was really a good read, which reinforced my trust in the game.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Even bigger content patches in Jan. and Feb.? And World vs World extensions in Feb. too?

For free?

And people still complain?

Thanks a lot for the link, that was really a good read, which reinforced my trust in the game.

Same here. I know quite a few people that have been waiting for info on future WvW updates. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I don't want to see any new content from Anet until my class is fixed (ranger). Nor am I going back to the game until they do what they promised to do, which is fixing it.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by sudo

I don't want to see any new content from Anet until my class is fixed (ranger). Nor am I going back to the game until they do what they promised to do, which is fixing it.

Right on, I have a Ranger and feel the pain. Also they need to fix the NERF they have placed in the game since the November update, forcing players to do one dungeon time and time again is not the way to go. The lack of communication in the official foruma nd the lack of an answer is staggering. I personally have sent several e-mails to the different outlets of A-NET and have got no answer.

Today I am going to write to the HQ of A-NET to see if anyone there care about the players.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by mayito7777

Right on, I have a Ranger and feel the pain. Also they need to fix the NERF they have placed in the game since the November update, forcing players to do one dungeon time and time again is not the way to go. The lack of communication in the official foruma nd the lack of an answer is staggering. I personally have sent several e-mails to the different outlets of A-NET and have got no answer.

Today I am going to write to the HQ of A-NET to see if anyone there care about the players.

I suggest you wait this month's big update (Wintersday) and see if they fix some of your concerns. If not, do what you must.

Originally posted by mayito7777

They do care but they also said they base their balances on data from the game, actual facts. The reason for the nerf was simple, it afforded bots a way to attack and that is the only skills they used. DOn't blame A.Net for what botters use.

A.Net alrady said they will not answer ALL posts - only when what they have to say is important.

Go ahead, I can guarrantee A.Net won't write back.

They care more than most game developers and there is NO SUB.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    At the moment I feel as if Anet is concentrating a large amount of its resources towards content rather than bugfixes at the moment. Having reached 80 and not enjoying karma trains or dungeons (except fractals, i love those) I feel as if it lacks side content for players to do. 80 stuff that doesn't involve killing things.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Even bigger content patches in Jan. and Feb.? And World vs World extensions in Feb. too?For free?And people still complain?Thanks a lot for the link, that was really a good read, which reinforced my trust in the game.

Stop being ignorant about other people concerns with the game. You might not see those concerns others are having, but that doesn't mean they don't exist or are not valid. People don't complain about the content itself, but the mechanics that go along with them.

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    If long loading times annoy you, investing in a SSD will help.

Considering the way DE are set up and that sometimes DEs get stuck, the way overflow servers are set and the fact this game has a heavy physics engine compared to old MMORPGs (the game track all the projectiles and they interact with the vegetation as do players), I don't see a seamless world happening any time soon.

I don't experience long loading times at all, even without an ssd loading times themselves are over quickly. However it is the number of loading times that I find disruptive. For example travelling from anywhere to LA, then from there via asura gate to something else, then take a WP closest to your destination takes time. Mostly because loading screens appear. I understand that things need to unload and load, but sometimes it is annoying. This probably is mostly the fault of the way WPs are used as gold sinks, tho.

On the other hand, one would like to think ANet is a state of the art developer. I get why they are doing a zoned MMO, but even smaller indie MMO devs can make worlds seamless. It is no big concern, just something I would like to see sometime.

On the points you raised, coming from a dev I think many of these things can be done with seamless worlds and a proper design of the servers. Nowadays no server/world/shard is a single physical object, it is a cluster. You just need to wrap your head around it and think outside the box in how to achieve a seamless world with a different game, but this blows the issue I am having with it way out of proportion. There are other much more pressing and gamebreaking issues.
    The reason for the loading is the areas are large and each one is a particular thread on the server. It is to make these areas as responsive as possible.

Originally posted by IPolygon
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter If long loading times annoy you, investing in a SSD will help.

I don't experience long loading times at all, even without an ssd loading times themselves are over quickly. However it is the number of loading times that I find disruptive. For example travelling from anywhere to LA, then from there via asura gate to something else, then take a WP closest to your destination takes time. Mostly because loading screens appear. I understand that things need to unload and load, but sometimes it is annoying. This probably is mostly the fault of the way WPs are used as gold sinks, tho.

On the other hand, one would like to think ANet is a state of the art developer. I get why they are doing a zoned MMO, but even smaller indie MMO devs can make worlds seamless. It is no big concern, just something I would like to see sometime.

On the points you raised, coming from a dev I think many of these things can be done with seamless worlds and a proper design of the servers. Nowadays no server/world/shard is a single physical object, it is a cluster. You just need to wrap your head around it and think outside the box in how to achieve a seamless world with a different game, but this blows the issue I am having with it way out of proportion. There are other much more pressing and gamebreaking issues.

The thing with seamless worlds.

Name me MMORPGs with seamless worlds that have a physics engine as good as guild wars 2.

As I said before, why do people think most FPS have map caps no larger than 64 players and most are just 32 or 16?

It is one thing to have a server that deals with skills that require a target and can only hit that target and have a server that have projectile spells that can be fired with no target and hit whatever crosses it path.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Thanks for the link! 

Yeah...I think GW2 is a great game and I've put a lot of time in since release now.  But I feel my interest waning a bit.  Maybe I was playing too much and just needed a break.

But I would like to see more social stuff added.  I hate to sound like a broken record, but more emotes, housing, image design.  Damn I am willing to play a monthly fee to have these things.  But I am not willing to pay $15 bucks to change my hairstyle one time...or however much it costs.  My character looks perfect, but I get bored and just want to change her appearance up from time to time.  Not willing to spend 40 or 50 bucks a month just because I want to change her hair from blond to red one day from the next.  Same with 'appearance tabs'.  I would be willing to pay for the feature as opposed to these silly transmutation coins...I actually have quite a few.  I've seen it implemented a lot better in other games. 

I love that they let me color my armor whenever I want though.  I love them for that.  But to use an example, in Fallen Earth you pick a hairstyle in character creation which allows you to switch between several similar styles in game.  I always loved that! 

Originally posted by Terranah

Thanks for the link! 

Yeah...I think GW2 is a great game and I've put a lot of time in since release now.  But I feel my interest waning a bit.  Maybe I was playing too much and just needed a break.

But I would like to see more social stuff added.  I hate to sound like a broken record, but more emotes, housing, image design.  Damn I am willing to play a monthly fee to have these things.  But I am not willing to pay $15 bucks to change my hairstyle one time...or however much it costs.  My character looks perfect, but I get bored and just want to change her appearance up from time to time.  Not willing to spend 40 or 50 bucks a month just because I want to change her hair from blond to red one day from the next.  Same with 'appearance tabs'.  I would be willing to pay for the feature as opposed to these silly transmutation coins...I actually have quite a few.  I've seen it implemented a lot better in other games. 

I love that they let me color my armor whenever I want though.  I love them for that.  But to use an example, in Fallen Earth you pick a hairstyle in character creation which allows you to switch between several similar styles in game.  I always loved that! 

800 gems =$10

So, $3.125 for a haircut and $4.375 for a complete change (not race or profession. though).

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Thanks for the link! 

800 gems =$10

So, $3.125 for a haircut and $4.375 for a complete change (not race or profession. though).

wow, thanks for breaking that down.  That's not too bad...but I'd rather pay $15 a month to do it as much as I like.  That's not the option given though.

Thanks for a constructive post.  I give you a gold star. :)

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    And so the themepark content chase begins.  Good luck with that, everyone.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Thanks for the link! 

800 gems =$10

wow, thanks for breaking that down.  That's not too bad...but I'd rather pay $15 a month to do it as much as I like.  That's not the option given though.

Thanks for a constructive post.  I give you a gold star. :)

Can always buy gems with in gold money (some 3g20s atm for the hair cut).

I guess the haircut is a bit too expensive compared to the full change kit.

I know what you mean though.

Just taking the opportunity to say at least it isn't crazy expensive.

Not that I'll be using these services much, which I see more as luxury than anything else..

HINT for anyone that rushed their chars to get the names reserved:

After you delete the character the name will be reserved to your account for 24 hours, so you can delete the char and change it to your taste for free.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

On topic in response to the article.....I'll believe it when I see it.  ANet now  has a history of blatantly saying one thing and doing another as well as promising to address certain issues without making a centimeter of progress (ex: player culling).  I also call no significant improvements or additions to PvP.  They really seem dedicated to the PvE crowd.  Maybe we see GvG, but really that's not what most PvP'ers want from what I have seen.  Probably more like another sPvP map of the same game type.

Also I think Colin needs to look up the definition of "giant" because none of the updates to date have been anything remotely close to that in size or scope.

I also really hope I'm wrong about all this stuff because I wanted to love GW2, but it seriously failed to deliver for the PvP player.

Steam: Neph

Originally posted by Nephaerius

On topic in response to the article.....I'll believe it when I see it.  ANet now  has a history of blatantly saying one thing and doing another as well as promising to address certain issues without making a centimeter of progress (ex: player culling).  I also call no significant improvements or additions to PvP.  They really seem dedicated to the PvE crowd.  Maybe we see GvG, but really that's not what most PvP'ers want from what I have seen.  Probably more like another sPvP map of the same game type.

Also I think Colin needs to look up the definition of "giant" because none of the updates to date have been anything remotely close to that in size or scope.

I also really hope I'm wrong about all this stuff because I wanted to love GW2, but it seriously failed to deliver for the PvP player.

The thing is - this game has ONLY been out 3 months. What game has given you ANY extra content in 3 months, including SUB games? Name one - you can't because there aren't any.Why do people say things that (see underlined) are just so ridiculous.

Most PvP players who like squad or group type PvP, love the game. People who want single PvP - go somethere else.

GvG was what put GW1 on the map. I know they will add it in, just when is the question.