Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long...

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

/crystal ball

/magic mirror

/magic eightball

"concentrate and ask again"   WTH!?!

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Do people Really believe when a guy says "my friend who works there says"  that he is telling the truth? How many times have people used that on this website.

I won't debate anymore on how big the sub base is as none of us will really know how small or large the sub base is till they feel like releasing some numbers.

What I will say is that There are lots of people ingame that I know that spent $100 to $200 on cartel packs and items. and there were people on the swtor forums saying the same thing. I don't know how anyone could say that the ftp/cartel shop is a failure like the poster above.

I will now give you HATORZ a knock out punch.

Warhammer online is still running which I believe we can all agree has a smaller player base. Until that game is shutdown SWTOR is safe.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Xirik

Do people Really believe when a guy says "They aren't bleeding out subs anymore and are stable around 500k-750k subs"  that he is telling the truth? How many times have people used that on this website. 

It works both way ;)

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Do people Really believe when a guy says "my friend who works there says"  that he is telling the truth? How many times have people used that on this website.

I won't debate anymore on how big the sub base is as none of us will really know how small or large the sub base is till they feel like releasing some numbers.

What I will say is that There are lots of people ingame that I know that spent $100 to $200 on cartel packs and items. and there were people on the swtor forums saying the same thing. I don't know how anyone could say that the ftp/cartel shop is a failure like the poster above.

Warhammer online is still running which I believe we can all agree has a smaller player base. Until that game is shutdown SWTOR is safe.

As to your knock out punch. Warhammer On Line is an IP under a multi-year license. If EA shuts it down, they still have to pay Games Workshop their fee. Also WAR is in utter maintence mode. There has been almost no new content since launch. The one thing that keeps its two remaining servers going is that unlike SWTOR, WAR's endgame is uder created content in the form of RvR. WAR also has a mini-proto cash shop. So long as the total revenue raised by the remaing subscriber base paying to battle each other in RvR is greater then the cost of the skelton (count on one hand) crew and keeping the servers open, the game will remain open till the license expires.

SWTOR's endgame is primarily not PVP They do not even have a functioning RvR zone (Ilum's dead).

Not really much of a knock-out punch, more of a dire warning for SWTOR.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Whilst it may be doing well now, I doubt it will be doing well in  a few months time, because there has not been added anything to it to keep people playing, History has proven that people do not want to play SWTOR long term, as there is not mch to do at max level. SWTORs game ends at max level, SWGs game started at max level. People on my friends list on Xfire, started playing SWTOR when it went F2P, now the amount of people playing is dropping and not logging in so much. The interest of SWTOR F2P is now declining.

F2P may not be a failure to you, but it no doubt is a failure to EA/Bioware. They probably were expecting billions dollars from it or way more than what you expect them to get for success.

Also Warhammer does not need 500K subs to break even, nor has a licence to deal with LA/Disney. It was not SOE who chose to shut down SWG, if they were the ones in total control, they would have kept it going, but LA were the ones who called the shots with SWG and Smedley said so, and the same would go for SWTOR - EA/Bioware are not in full control either , although things could be different with Disney, but to go by Warhammers survival is just plain naive, but chances are that as soon as the licence expires with SWTOR, it will probably be shut down. If SWTOR had a future, they would be bringing in content, left right and center.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

To me maintenance mode is equal to game shutting down.

When you kill the point of the game you kill the game.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Wait, I thought it was already dead... *scratches head*

Seriously though, an F2P MMO based on a very popular setting can potentially go on forever.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by wowfan1996

Wait, I thought it was already dead... *scratches head*

Seriously though, an F2P MMO based on a very popular setting can potentially go on forever.

Vanguard is "going forever" and its pretty much dead (just example, there are boatloads more).

To me its like when you squis a bug (or something similar) and then fiiddle with te remains ;P

Problem with SWTOR is that maintenance (or even shut down) limit is way higher than other MMOs due to its enormous expenses. Thats why you cannot really compare it to other MMOs, SWTOR is catgory of its own.

Originally posted by tiefighter25

As to your knock out punch. Warhammer On Line is an IP under a multi-year license. If EA shuts it down, they still have to pay Games Workshop their fee. Also WAR is in utter maintence mode. There has been almost no new content since launch. The one thing that keeps its two remaining servers going is that unlike SWTOR, WAR's endgame is uder created content in the form of RvR. WAR also has a mini-proto cash shop. So long as the total revenue raised by the remaing subscriber base paying to battle each other in RvR is greater then the cost of the skelton (count on one hand) crew and keeping the servers open, the game will remain open till the license expires.

SWTOR's endgame is primarily not PVP They do not even have a functioning RvR zone (Ilum's dead).

Not really much of a knock-out punch, more of a dire warning for SWTOR.

If Warhammer is under a license like SWTOR, and it is in maintenance mode then chances are that will be shut down when the license runs out.

Although SOE and LA did renew the license for SWG several times, even after the NGE, but  apparently they waived the fee to do so, but SOE was doing a lot for SWG though, unlike SWTOR. SWG had more content put in during 2011, its final year. than SWTOR ever has had. SOE did not want to shut down SWG, that is what kept it going for as long as it did..

Then comes along SWTOR, and gets millions of peoples attention, and LA see $$$ signs, so then decide to start to charge for the IP again, and it was more than what SOE could afford. If EA were paying for the IP then SOE would need too as well.

If LA can be generous and waive the IP fee, then any company can,  so it could be possible that Games Workshop may waive the fee to Warhammer too, if they want it to stay alive.

It is also possible that Disney will waive the fee too for SWTOR, but considering the deal was done with LA, they will probably want to start fresh, and only renew the licence if it was doing really well.

Also EA/Bioware have not been doing any effort into trying to keep the game alive, by bringing in all that content they said they had for it, which makes the game last ten years - what a joke!. SWG was failing too, but at least LA got on the case and tried to turn things around by doing the CU and the NGE, which as we all know backfired, and at this point LA gave up on SWG and SOE took over completely still bringing things to the game and actually making it better and enhancing it, sustaining a regular flow of players, before doing server merges 3 years later in 2009.

But with SWTOR, EA/Bioware have done nothing, they just went straight to merges within only 6 months and now F2P. They seem to have given up on the game themselves.

SWTOR could end up shutting down before WAR, it all depends on how long they have the IPs for. If WAR has the IP for 3 more years,, and SWTOR only has it for 1 more year, then SWTOR could shut down next year. With all the money they spent on SWTOR, chances are they probably would have gotten a minimal length contract for the IP, and then when it succeeded bought a longer deal, with all the profits they expected to get, but have not now.

There is no 100% clairity whether it will last or not, but the prognosis is not good, not good at all. EA/Bioware need to pull out all the stops over the next few months, if they want to make it seem like it is going to last a long time. Which does not include talking, SWTOR needs full on action from EA/Bioware, like SOE were doing. SOE only had a handful of devs (2 or so), Bioware has what 200 still?  Yet SOE did more for SWG than EA/Bioware has done for SWTOR - total pathetic. Makeb is coming and a few other things, but all that should have been in game already.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

EA Louse says hi.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/ea-artist-soon-to-be-laid-off-burns-ea-management-2803

I would like to see SWTOR get more content, such as Ilum, space etc. but personally, I wouldn't bet my money on SWTOR living to see 2014.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Masonic1 also sent me a private message accusing me for marketing for money for EA LOL.

In his opinion any positive comments about SWTOR comes from EA employee.

Yesterday on The Ebon Hawk at 2 AM at night EST there were still 2 fleet instances. Server is packed with people. Judging from general chat F2P enjoy the game. The only negative comments I saw were about F2P restrictions, not about quality of game.  Not sure how many subs moved to F2P status, but not many. I am getting 800 CC every month and that is lowering my sub cost to 5 bucks a month. Why would I want to move to restricted F2P. Majority of people who sub are not even considering moving to F2P.

Like somebody said, the population that is right now in SWTOR are people who like/love the game and are going to continue to play.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Majority of people who sub are not even considering moving to F2P.

Like somebody said, the population that is right now in SWTOR are people who like/love the game and are going to continue to play.

Those statments will only be true after a few months. Those who started with F2P, the shine has not wore off yet, it has only been a couple of weeks

If the game had just launched that would be a cocky thing for me to say, but considering that is exactly what happened a few months after launch, and nothing has been added to the game to keep players playing, then the same will happen again.

Although there may be more people playing but they will move to F2P. If they do not move to F2P then they will just simply quit. History has proven this to be the case.

F2P will only temporarily boost population, but plenty of new content will boost population long term, and it is not getting enough content.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm playing the F2P and enjoying it well enough.  It reminds me more of a SP RPG than anything else.

On the other side, I'm not finding any motivation to subscribe.  Questing feels like it rides on rails, which isn't a selling point for me.  Performance on my machine (out of date but adequate for most games on low settings) is poor, borderlining unplayable.

Will it last?  Who knows.  I'm figuring I'll play for a month or so, maybe even use the cash shop, but honestly it's more out of curiousity to see how it's built.  I'm not intent on staying for a long time.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Majority of people who sub are not even considering moving to F2P.

Those statments will only be true after a few months. Those who started with F2P, the shine has not wore off yet, it has only been a couple of weeks

If the game had just launched that would be a cocky thing for me to say, but considering that is exactly what happened a few months after launch, and nothing has been added to the game to keep players playing, then the same will happen again.

Although there may be more people playing but they will move to F2P. If they do not move to F2P then they will just simply quit. History has proven this to be the case.

F2P will only temporarily boost population, but plenty of new content will boost population long term, and it is not getting enough content.

Subs are up. There is no question about it. Just go to the SWTOR forum and look at skyrocket increase of troll threads comparing to before F2P. You can only post if you are subbed, and increase is like 20x maybe more.... I think it's the most reliable proof of increase in subs LMAO

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by superniceguy Originally posted by Sevenstar61  
    Majority of people who sub are not even considering moving to F2P. Like somebody said, the population that is right now in SWTOR are people who like/love the game and are going to continue to play.  
    Those statments will only be true after a few months. Those who started with F2P, the shine has not wore off yet, it has only been a couple of weeks If the game had just launched that would be a cocky thing for me to say, but considering that is exactly what happened a few months after launch, and nothing has been added to the game to keep players playing, then the same will happen again. Although there may be more people playing but they will move to F2P. If they do not move to F2P then they will just simply quit. History has proven this to be the case. F2P will only temporarily boost population, but plenty of new content will boost population long term, and it is not getting enough content.
    Subs are up. There is no question about it. Just go to the SWTOR forum and look at skyrocket increase of troll threads comparing to before F2P. You can only post if you are subbed, and increase is like 20x maybe more.... I think it's the most reliable proof of increase in subs LMAO

In order to obtain the "earned" Cartel coins, you have to sub. I think that's what most of the people did.

Originally posted by TeknoBug

Majority of people who sub are not even considering moving to F2P. Like somebody said, the population that is right now in SWTOR are people who like/love the game and are going to continue to play.  
    Those statments will only be true after a few months. Those who started with F2P, the shine has not wore off yet, it has only been a couple of weeks If the game had just launched that would be a cocky thing for me to say, but considering that is exactly what happened a few months after launch, and nothing has been added to the game to keep players playing, then the same will happen again. Although there may be more people playing but they will move to F2P. If they do not move to F2P then they will just simply quit. History has proven this to be the case. F2P will only temporarily boost population, but plenty of new content will boost population long term, and it is not getting enough content.
    In order to obtain the "earned" Cartel coins, you have to sub. I think that's what most of the people did.

Also changes to the game make people post. Until the NGE I hardly posted on the SWG forums

If not enough people post on forums = "People too busy enjoying game to post". If an increasie in posts = "it's the most reliable proof of increase in subs " Not really!

Also changes to the game make people post. Until the NGE I hardly posted on the SWG forums

If not enough people post on forums = "People too busy enjoying game to post". If an increasie in posts = "it's the most reliable proof of increase in subs " Not really!

The cartel coins are the most probable reason, There were no changes to game other then F2P last month and F2P was discussed way before. Also discusions were civilized LOL. Now we are getting again the same old sh*  posts... like when SWTOR will die  and other trollolo etc...

But why would you sub for CC if you won't continue to play game - does not make sense to me LOL

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

Just a side statement....I'm going back to SWTOR cause my friends are. So now I play GW2/SWTOR(GW2 for PvP, SWTOR for raiding). I'm going to sub again, part of mmo gaming imo is playing with rl friends.

Anyway SWTOR will last a good 5 years even though their engine is crap. They are pumping out content quick......

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

Originally posted by Jonoku

Just a side statement....I'm going back to SWTOR cause my friends are. So now I play GW2/SWTOR(GW2 for PvP, SWTOR for raiding). I'm going to sub again, part of mmo gaming imo is playing with rl friends.

Anyway SWTOR will last a good 5 years even though their engine is crap. They are pumping out content quick......

I agree that being in guild full of friends. be in rl or met online, is one of the reasons you stay in MMO longer than if you would be a loner.  And it applies to every MMO. I stayed in EQ2 for so long because of friends. Welcome back and I hope you will enjoy TFB.

• WorfiWorfi Member Posts: 16

LoL on "insiders" post.

Facts (confirmed by ea and bioware) are:

- This game is not a succes they wanted but they switched to more profitable model and they now earn money.

- They sold more than 2 milion copies, had more than 1,7 mil subscribers in second month, have more than 500 000 subscribers 8 months after release. Do a simple math and you will see how much this game earned allready.

- There is now solid sub base

- When they went f2p they got more players than they expected

- They sold more items in cartel store than they expected

- Ea is happy with Bioware. New Dragon age and Mass effect are in production but postponed for new consoles. Bioware is working on new IP.

Now you can chose to belive that or not but you need to have some prof to say different. Everything else are pure speculations, haters etc. ...

On other hand, from my personal expirience - all people who i know that played GW2 play now WoW or SWTOR and bunch of other people i played dota2, LoL and Starcraft 2 with. downloaded and at least tried SWTOR. Few of them subscribed. So f2p was a good decision.

I still don't like dead and "closed" world, non-existing weather and day-night cycles, and boring, "kill 10 that" quests. I play it casual now, without subscription, just to see some class stories or do some pvp...  

Playing SWTOR F2P version is almost unplayable even casually playing it......

The cartel coins are the most probable reason, There were no changes to game other then F2P last month and F2P was discussed way before. Also discusions were civilized LOL. Now we are getting again the same old sh*  posts... like when SWTOR will die  and other trollolo etc...

But why would you sub for CC if you won't continue to play game - does not make sense to me LOL

It is not to keep getting CC but to get the complementary coins from launch + CE to F2P. It is a stupid situation - You sub to get CC, so you can then play in F2P. If you do not sub and have no CC then will not play as have no intention of spending any money. 

If people have been unsubbed for a while, then may think whats the harm in one more last sub - If game is still crap, then cancel sub, if it is better since quit then keep playing/subbing.

I ended up getting about 3000 CC in the end, so that was worth the £8.99, considering it costs £11.99 for 2400 CC, but now no more subs from me. The fact of having to sub to get the CC for CE and subs prior to 1st Aug, was greedy of EA, as people who do not sub need them more. If you are subbing you should not need CC. The whole concept just seemed too messed up for me. If those subbing really wanted CC then they got extra for subbing each month and staying subbed for F2P.

F2P is also best for the stories though, if you have little to no interest in space/operations/warzones/flashpoints etc

• WorfiWorfi Member Posts: 16

This is maybe truth but look at that this way: You pay 15$, you get unlimited access for 1 month, cartel points and prefered status. IMHO that is a lot of solid game content for that price. Read GW 2 forums. The biggest argument for GW2 was - "I don't play it annymore but it was worth 60$" (i actually never get that point because you get free month with every sub MMO too and most people played GW2 less than that). 

At the end you get to try the game for free and if you don't like it don't play it. If you like it you'll get game without box price.

Originally posted by Worfi

This is maybe truth but look at that this way: You pay 15$, you get unlimited access for 1 month, cartel points and prefered status. IMHO that is a lot of solid game content for that price. Read GW 2 forums. The biggest argument for GW2 was - "I don't play it annymore but it was worth 60$" (i actually never get that point because you get free month with every sub MMO too and most people played GW2 less than that). 

At the end you get to try the game for free and if you don't like it don't play it. If you like it you'll get game without box price.

True for people that never played it before which doesn't apply to me since I played for 8 months before already...just returning. In my mind I think people will try it and rage quit and uninstall because its the most limited F2P ever.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I give it another 3 months, and once the free to play wears off, and the fact nothing changed, folks will get boared and move on.