Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is PS2 worth trying?

Comments

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

As others have said, it's free, so there's really no reason not to try it unless you're brutally short of download quota or disk space or something.

If you're coming from more of an MMORPG background than an FPS background, as I was, you may find it intensely confusing at first. Expect to die many times before you even get a clear sight of an enemy, let alone kill one. All the introductory tutorials I found launched straight into more advanced topics like how to buy vehicles and how to spend your certifications - they skipped over genuinely basic stuff like "how to tell who is on your team and who isn't." And yes you can shoot your own team-mates, and be shot by them.

So if you do give it a go.. just be prepared to bang your head against it for a bit before deciding whether you enjoy it or not.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Banquetto

As others have said, it's free, so there's really no reason not to try it unless you're brutally short of download quota or disk space or something.

If you're coming from more of an MMORPG background than an FPS background, as I was, you may find it intensely confusing at first. Expect to die many times before you even get a clear sight of an enemy, let alone kill one. All the introductory tutorials I found launched straight into more advanced topics like how to buy vehicles and how to spend your certifications - they skipped over genuinely basic stuff like "how to tell who is on your team and who isn't." And yes you can shoot your own team-mates, and be shot by them.

So if you do give it a go.. just be prepared to bang your head against it for a bit before deciding whether you enjoy it or not.

Yup, die a LOT, then slowly figure it all out, death doesnt matter so at least try to get a few shots on whatever kills you and youll get partial XP if someone else kills it.

It takes a few hours to adjust, once you figure out whats happening, and why...it will start to make sense and become very entertaining.

Largest nooby thing i see is people not recognizing objectives and enemy spawns.  Enemy spawns have a shield ont he door, they can shoot out you can shoot in.  Youll see people camping them out of line of sight, and they will be int he door camping out. Inbetween is a horrible place to be.  

You shouldnt feel bad that you die a lot and dont know why, it might be an errant tank round that got lucky, could be from the sky, could be a mine or a grenade, or that guy on the roof with a jet pack.  Death doesnt matter. Just try to get some xp between deaths.  Eventually youll start taking lots of people down with you...thats how you need to look at it and what your short term goals should be, taking as many down with you as possible.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

It's worth trying even though the game does it's very best to put off new players by hot-dropping them into a cluster-f**k straight from character creation to be free frags for others.

PS2 takes some perseverence, even for PS vets, the systems are different and the map is baffling first time out.

Don't be put off by the harsh beginning as many players have been, give it a few days, get to know how it works then make a decision. As others have said, it's free to try so not much to lose.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Is it worth?? This game is free to download and you ask something like that. I don't want to offend you but  it is ridiculous to even ask something like that. I don't think you are interested in this game only what you wan't is some forum attention
  • AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

I HIGHLY recommend anyone thinking of playing PS2, to join an outfit.

Seriously, this is not a soloers game, which is why I love it so much. You can still do some solo stuff, like sniping, but you will survive much longer if your part of a group.

There are many videos on youtube that show the epicness of the battles, hundreds of players, on the ground and in the air. Its freakin awsome!

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

I HIGHLY recommend anyone thinking of playing PS2, to join an outfit.

Seriously, this is not a soloers game, which is why I love it so much. You can still do some solo stuff, like sniping, but you will survive much longer if your part of a group.

There are many videos on youtube that show the epicness of the battles, hundreds of players, on the ground and in the air. Its freakin awsome!

Yep,its all about the team work if you want to be consistantly successful

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Yes.

If you're a PC gamer that enjoys PvP on a grand scale or that enjoys FPS's... and you don't try this game - logic is not your friend.

It's free... it's awesome.. why wouldn't you try it?

* as others have said, it's worth checking out some gameplay vids/tutorials to give you a clue... there isn't much in the way of help and the combat can be rather daunting/punishing if you don't know what's going on.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by fadis

* as others have said, it's worth checking out some gameplay vids/tutorials to give you a clue... there isn't much in the way of help and the combat can be rather daunting/punishing if you don't know what's going on.

Even if you know what is going on this game is quite challenging and daunting compare to even a lot of other non-mmofps.

I'd say to new players do not expect to be able to be a one-man army and clean out the entire enemy team even if you are super-skilled because that is simply just not going to happen - there are just so many people in a fligh thtat you don't know which stray bullet is going to kill you. You will be lucky if you survive more than 5 or 6 fully intensive firefight without dying at all.

I think this game, in terms of the chaos of massive combat's level of simulation, is simply the best I've played at the moment. This game is like Gettyburg of space opera.

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

Only if your Really into FPS's. Its just an oversized 3 sided and persistant FPS.

Compared to FPS's its sub-par.

However, it does fill a niche in thats it probably the only one thats persistant and not an RPG. It's unbalanced, Pay2Win (players can buy equipment unlocks which is most of progression in the game) and glitchy as heck - so much so that it might corrupt your OS though you probably can and will avoid that if you try it though (only seems to be an issue with older systems).

It also requires a fairly high end system to be more than a stuttering slideshow in mass battles which are its main attraction and even that isn't likely even with a High end computer as it is a problem with their servers as well as the game client.

Outside of the FPS there is nothing to do or care about.

The Outfits/Clans/Guilds are all FPS oriented entities who are 'typical' of FPS attitudes, which is to say 'ego stroking', Vulgar and largely interested in farming kills for K/D ratios and/or Cert points with no regard to the bigger game (which is what makes most of the bigger game redundant as thats typical of everyone playing since it is such a royal pain to organise and coordinate).

As described by others its a MMOFPS, an FPS just bigger and not necessarily better.

My own answer to the OP is: 'NO' not unless you REALLY like FPS's.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

helios just crahsed the party. again.

people will soon enough spend 20 bucks again on a F2P game and get their advantage (suckers cant aim)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Zyzz

Oh ok, yeah i got a pretty decent computer i built 3 months ago super clocked 680 8 gig ram a lot of cooling i5 k. If that doesn't run the game don't know what else will.

But ill see how it goes.

you are good to go, and the game is definitelly worth trying. BUT, you will get bored if you plan on playing as the lone wolf.... find some friends  to join your squad and you will have a blast.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by zomard100
    Is it worth?? This game is free to download and you ask something like that. I don't want to offend you but  it is ridiculous to even ask something like that. I don't think you are interested in this game only what you wan't is some forum attention

Some people have limited bandwidth and download limits and it's a 7+ gig download.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Most of those with lag issues, I think is down to their internet connection. This game needs to handle more traffic than typical mmos.

I have a fx4, and don't get lag, so I don't thinly the game is as cpu bound as people make out. (i have a 30gb connection)

Where as I've seen people with i7s and high end video card complain of lag, but when you investigate they are on like 8gb connections.
  • JenkzJenkz Member UncommonPosts: 94

Originally posted by zomard100

Why would i want forum attention? How old are you? Just curious..

I asked if it's worth it because i don't want to waste 7gig of download data.. Troll else where.

p.s i tried the game i subd and im very happy with it, because of reviews i got here from good people. tsk tsk.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    The numbers are 2000 players per continent, so 6000 total per server. It may not sound a lot as far as mmorpgs go, but for a mmoFPS it's quite massive. Especially considering the general luck of lag, good hitbox detection and that things can get rather intense both in ground and on the air.
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Asolutly worth trying. Game of the year from me and its free!!!!!!!!!!
  • djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177
    Imagine a slighlty lesser quality version of Battlefield 3, with a futuristic theme, battles that never end, and 3 factions... that's PS2.
  • PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    short answer: yes. long answer: yes because it's awesome. (don't worry about hackers. they're the funnest to kill :) ).
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Yes, especially with a group of friends.

Originally posted by djmtott
    Imagine a slighlty lesser quality version of Battlefield 3, with a futuristic theme, battles that never end, and 3 factions... that's PS2.

You know, BF3 was a pretty big let down for me. Since they took the series to Bad Company they have been trying their hearts out to be like CoD. The games never came back to what BF was. BF3 was a noble attempt but it just never felt close to BF2, their Gem. PS2 however, it brings me back to those BF2 days. It almost feels like the natural evolution of BF2.

• StayonboardStayonboard Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Kanester

I was confused by this....? It's "free"? What do you mean? Doesn't it come with the standard $49.99 tag + monthly sub fees?

I'm also curious about this game - though I'll admit I'm not usually big into FPS - loved the original Halo but haven't played much else since.... that was moons ago as you all know lol.

I'd think about picking this up - but didn't want to waste the money on it either. 

I'll go back and read the rest of this thread but you guys are obviously enjoying yourselves? 

Only its the evoloution of planetside 1 which predates all these "massive" fps like cod and bf.

Which itself was a crazy but ambitious idea of let's meld unreal tournament with daoc rvr system.
    Originally posted by Stayonboard
    Originally posted by Kanester

I was confused by this....? It's "free"? What do you mean? Doesn't it come with the standard $49.99 tag + monthly sub fees?

I'm also curious about this game - though I'll admit I'm not usually big into FPS - loved the original Halo but haven't played much else since.... that was moons ago as you all know lol.

I'd think about picking this up - but didn't want to waste the money on it either. 

I'll go back and read the rest of this thread but you guys are obviously enjoying yourselves? 

It's a free game. It has a cash shop and you can buy a "premium sub".

If you like fps you may like it.
    If you like mmo pvp like gw2 WvW or daoc rvr or war or aion etc.. you may like it.

If you like both the above you will love it.

Some bf / cod fed players hate that it never ends and Is persistent. To me this is a selling point, a major reason why I like it, I'm not into "match pvp" so much.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Only its the evoloution of planetside 1 which predates all these "massive" fps like cod and bf.

Which itself was a crazy but ambitious idea of let's meld unreal tournament with daoc rvr system.

I think the biggest "issue" with ps1 was that it's core gameplay and mechanics weren't as tight as BF for example. Yes, it was massive battles but it wasn't as polished as BF was. EIther way, PS2 is pretty much a masterpiece.