Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confused by the hype

As a huge fan of Shadowbane, Im dying for a good team based pvp game, however Im hesitant to invest in DFUW. I unfortunately listened to some of the hardcore fans and tried DF shortly after release in NA, and it was crushingly disappointing to me. There was so much hype and it they ended up delivering maybe half of what was listed on their webiste. So here we are again, only now the economy is worse, the MMO genre seems stagnant and now they want a second chance on a niche game? I just dont see it.

Even its most staunch defenders, like DarthRaiden have turned, and that makes me even more suspicious on whether or not this is going to be worth the purchase price. Im certainly not going to be fooled a second time with the bait and switch routine, and im curious given all the hate about DF why everyones so quick to jump on board again.

Seriously, give me some guarantee its not going to be as disasterous as DF1

Comments

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Can't give you that. It might turn into rubbish this time around too.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

There has been 2 interviews an 3-4 short clips. Im I correct? Kind of hard to get a feeling on this one. And its the same way TOR did it and i regretted that purchase. Kinda on the fence here myself. Just a whole lot of people telling me whats in the game and not in the game, but where is this information coming from? THink most of it is just their wishes for DFUW.

Hope I am wrong, anyone that knows me knows I LOVE SANDBOXES. But just not enough details yet.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Callidor

As a huge fan of Shadowbane, Im dying for a good team based pvp game, however Im hesitant to invest in DFUW. I unfortunately listened to some of the hardcore fans and tried DF shortly after release in NA, and it was crushingly disappointing to me. There was so much hype and it they ended up delivering maybe half of what was listed on their webiste. So here we are again, only now the economy is worse, the MMO genre seems stagnant and now they want a second chance on a niche game? I just dont see it.

Even its most staunch defenders, like DarthRaiden have turned, and that makes me even more suspicious on whether or not this is going to be worth the purchase price. Im certainly not going to be fooled a second time with the bait and switch routine, and im curious given all the hate about DF why everyones so quick to jump on board again.

I dont think DF1 was disasterous... I still have the best memories from DF1 in mmo gaming generally. 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

that's what hypes are about. unjustified hopes.

gl to the guys@ darkfall. dont think i will test it tho

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d

I dont think DF1 was disasterous... I still have the best memories from DF1 in mmo gaming generally. 

I think even Aventurine didnt feel too good about their product, I assumed this was the main reson behind the reboot of pretty much the same game.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

you are gonna let DarthRaiden influence you?

its not obvious he was one of the most unbalanced posters both before AND after his flipflop stance on DF?

if you didn't see any of the good aspects of DF1, then the new version is not gonna change your mind.

but the new interface is one of the more significant features that will open it up to many people who

just could not accept the the old one.   assuming it doesn't suck in its own way somehow.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by Onomas

There has been 2 interviews an 3-4 short clips. Im I correct? Kind of hard to get a feeling on this one. And its the same way TOR did it and i regretted that purchase. Kinda on the fence here myself. Just a whole lot of people telling me whats in the game and not in the game, but where is this information coming from? THink most of it is just their wishes for DFUW.

Hope I am wrong, anyone that knows me knows I LOVE SANDBOXES. But just not enough details yet.

i've been keeping up with     dfstuff.com

you can backpage thru there for a LONG ways if you have enough interest to piece it together.

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by corpusc

its not obvious he was one of the most unbalanced posters both before AND after his flipflop stance on DF?

if you didn't see any of the good aspects of DF1, then the new version is not gonna change your mind.

but the new interface is one of the more significant features that will open it up to many people who

just could not accept the the old one.   assuming it doesn't suck in its own way somehow.

DF1 was a great idea with poor implementation imo. Im still nursing a little hope that this time theyll follow through better. Really my issues were the people hacking, the griefers waiting at hunting spots, and I felt like I was fighting just to fight rather than for reward.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    hard to say if you will like Darkfall Unholy Wars when you didn't like Darkfall. It will be again a FFA PvP zone (only with NPC-cities as safezone) in a huge world. Personally i had my best moments in darkfall but this includes also developing your character which took some time back in the days. It should be significant faster now because you got the roles. As someone else said the new GUI should also help but i don't know if thats enough for someone who didnt liked the original.

whether or not this is going to be worth the purchase price.

all DF1 buyers will get the new game for free.

so its just a matter of the subscription fee.

Corpus Callosum    

DF1 was a great idea with poor implementation imo. Im still nursing a little hope that this time theyll follow through better. Really my issues were the people hacking, the griefers waiting at hunting spots, and I felt like I was fighting just to fight rather than for reward.

If you didnt like the griefing and didnt came to the conclusion to switch the NPC city to a less populated one or searched for a solution yourself i doubt Unholy Wars is something for you. PvP and jumping people at spawns will be still a huge part of the game and if you lack the ability to watch your surroundings, you die.

Originally posted by Niburu

If you didnt like the griefing and didnt came to the conclusion to switch the NPC city to a less populated one or searched for a solution yourself i doubt Unholy Wars is something for you. PvP and jumping people at spawns will be still a huge part of the game and if you lack the ability to watch your surroundings, you die.

Thats why I prefer playing basketball on a team as opposed to shooting baskets in my driveway, that is to say Im not looking for a solo experience. Im hoping theres enough population to make it a team based game instead of just being griefer bait out on your own.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I don't think it will go well, but at least this time around they have 2 servers right from start.   The release would look a lot brigher if they did a stress test this week.  

Originally posted by corpusc

a lot of the implementation is much improved now, but the basics of the game are still the same.  

if the game is well populated like it was in the original launch, there absolutely will be griefers all over the place looking to get cheap kills when you're almost dead from PVE.   there's really no way to "fix" that (without opening an alternate rules server) cuz its just the way a FFA PVP game works.

if the game "fails" after a few months, then maybe you can enjoy yourself THEN, 8) because that kind of PVP becomes close to non-existent when there are almost no players around.  much like DF1 has been for at least a year.

Corpus Callosum    

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160

DF1 ranked high for me. I personally think DF1 offered the best MMO experience to date. This is of course my opinion and we all have our own opinions about games these days.

If you bought DF1, then you will not have to buy DF:UW. I'd say give it at least a shot and see how you feel. 

On a side note, my main fear on release of DF:UW is that the server capacity may not be able to handle the amount of new players, causing huge wait times to get in. I really hope this does not happen.

Thats why I prefer playing basketball on a team as opposed to shooting baskets in my driveway, that is to say Im not looking for a solo experience. Im hoping theres enough population to make it a team based game instead of just being griefer bait out on your own.

if there's enough population to make it a griefers paradise, then its also enough pop to have a lot of clans to join.

i'm pretty sure its gonna be quite populated at least in the first month or 2.  wouldn't surprise me if it was far more populated than it ever was.

but who knows.  

Corpus Callosum    

• goartusk55goartusk55 Member Posts: 2

Df uw got greenlit in 48 hours on steam.....     if 1% of steam population tries it out you will have more in-game population then you know what to do with.    

please dont forget at the heart of DF is this core idea: 

I took all your stuff and the pain you feel for your wasted time brings me joy.

If you cant grasp that concept, then DF isn't for you.  Keep in mind most vets would play if it was just x's & o's, just so long as i can take your x's & o's.

Griefclan.com

Originally posted by Niburu

There was also a population in the game when you played but you wouldn't find them in NPC cities, everyone was outside in the huge world in one of the many player cities. This game is a true Mulitplayer since it rewards playing with friends so much. Why didn't you look for a guild in the old game ?

However if the population is your concern you won't have any problems in Darkfall Unholy Wars at release because as you found out yourself there is a hype. So i kinda don't understand your thread now.

Originally posted by goartusk55

Df uw got greenlit in 48 hours on steam.....     if 1% of steam population tries it out you will have more in-game population then you know what to do with.    

please dont forget at the heart of DF is this core idea: 

I took all your stuff and the pain you feel for your wasted time brings me joy.

If you cant grasp that concept, then DF isn't for you.  Keep in mind most vets would play if it was just x's & o's, just so long as i can take your x's & o's.

Griefclan.com

Thats why I always roll in pvp games with a group of people. You take all the fun out of the molesters day if he cant get an easy kill while youre fighting a mob. hence my concern about the population.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Don't buy it at release is the trick, wait and see how the game actually pans out, too little info at the moment to even guess what the game will be like.

DF1 wasn't disastrous, it just wasn't good and a lot of players who bought it blind hated it because it wasn't what they were led to believe it was going to be.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I also find the hype somewhat odd. Not that DF was that bad but the game was hyped before release and still only managed to get a rather small but faithfull playerbase.

Even if they manage to get 5 times the original players it would still be a rather small nichegame compared to most other MMOs so the level of the hype seems strangely high to me.

I understand why DFs hype was so large before, they had an rather impressive list of features they planned to add when they first showed us the game but most of those features got scrapped during development, sometimes are stuff impossible to implement no matter how cool the sound on paper, and sometimes do some things sound really fun but isnt. Most people here quit the game pretty fast as I remember even if the hardcore fans were really hardcore.

So nothing against DF:UW but I just dont see it reaching 100K players no matter what they do, it seems just too niched.

Or maybe you guys just know something I missed...

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

There is no guarantee

AV is a small team and they will struggle to cope with all the aspect of a MMO release.

They will try their best, but probably it won't be enough.

The reason why DF is one of the most hyped MMOs (both the original version and this one) is because it's a real MMO, with real community, the players make the game as it should be every MMO.

Sure the Full Loot is not everyone cup of tea, but for PvPers this is the dream MMO come true, at least on paper.

I am not a PvPer actually I am more of a PvEr (a Raider), yet I played DF for 2 years and had 2 accounts and I considered Darkfall as one of the best MMOs ever together with UO, EQ, SWG, EVE and Vanilla WOW.

I loved the first one with all its faults, exploits, and bugs............this can't be any worse since it is the same game just being fixed.

So yeah..............I am HYPED!

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

I'm not sure what there is to be confused about.

DF offers a world where players are the main content, not the other way round where the game makes the content and the players just get on for the ride, DF is what many consider a true traditional MMO, thus the hype.

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    It's a Full loot free for all roller coaster ride of adrenlin... simple.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Don't know if the OP knows, but since you bought the original DF1, you can hop into DF:UW for the price of the sub (the price of 2 pints at the local drunkyard).

No need to buy anything.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.