Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall vs Mortal Online

muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
i'm planning on playing DFUW.  i have recently played Mortal Online.  it has been my experience over the past 2 or 3 years that i have visted this site that Mortal Online recieves much more negative feedback than Darkfall.  what seperates the two games?  why is Darkfall not talked about in the same negative light as Mortal Online?  how are the games different?  why should i try darkfall over Mortal Online f2p?   

Comments

• redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224

MO is a broken game and shouldn't have been released so early.

Darkfall's Engine - Made from scratch.

MO's Engine - Unreal Engine (can only do so much)

Darkfall had it's issues but has improved. DFUW hopefully won't be a dissappointment, with it's huge openworld, full loot pvp, ship and land battles, and with a player base it should be a hit.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by redrip
    Because Mortal Online sucks.

well i've gathered that.  but how does it differ from darkfall? 

• redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224

That's for you to decide when you play it... :) 

Here's a few vids from the Darkfall Era that might help you get a glimpse into what DFUW will be. Obviously this is footage from the old DF, but it's going to be pretty similar...If the playerbase is there, it will be epic. 

Best,

Ripper X

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Because Mortal Online sucks.

well i've gathered that.  but how does it differ from darkfall? 

Darkfall is not the best mmo, but it is several orders of magnitude better than Moral Online. It's difficult to explain what makes Mortal so bad when there is nothing good about the game. I'm just hating on the game, download the trial and check it out for yourself.

edit: I overlooked the part where you said you had played Mortal Online. With that being the case, picture Darfall like Mortal except with stuff to do. I actually liked Mortal's skill system, but other than that Darkfall does pretty much everything better. This is coming from a guy that is highly critical about Darkfall.

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281

Biggest difference is that combat in MO sucks, while combat in DFO was awesome.

MO has a lot of grand sandbox features, but without a deep and interesting combat system who cares?

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

That's for you to decide when you play it... :) 

Here's a few vids from the Darkfall Era that might help you get a glimpse into what DFUW will be. Obviously this is footage from the old DF, but it's going to be pretty similar...If the playerbase is there, it will be epic. 

Best,

Ripper X

Originally posted by Uzik

Biggest difference is that combat in MO sucks, while combat in DFO was awesome.

MO has a lot of grand sandbox features, but without a deep and interesting combat system who cares?

it's an honor to hear from you ripper x.  i have watched several videos from you,  most notable the one where you call out every other player in darkfall on behalf of the mercs. 

also,  uzik.  if this is the same uzik, i have watched your new player guides for darkfall and found them to be very informative and one of the main reasons i will be checking out dfuw.   

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90

Both have FFA PVP with 100% player driven Territorial Control but DF has more focus on it

MO have a deep and complex skill/crafiting system and buiding,you can build keeps and houses

MO has a aligment system that has severed punishment for mindless PK(very close to UO system)

MO is bugged as hell,glitched

MO has a very poor aesthetics,the world fell bland,they made a very good use of the UE3 for graphics on general(shaders,post processing,textures)but the world does not look good

MO combat is like M&B slow and try to be realistic

MO is full first person.

DFUW does not have a deep skill/crafiting system like MO(still deeper than other themeparks),and DFUW has "classes"(roles),DF does not have building,the player cities are "templated" same for housing(you can't place a house anywhere in the world)

DFUW aligment system pretty much does not have any kind of punishment for PK,if a player kill a innocent player he turns red but nothing more

DFUW probably will be more bugged than the AAA MMOs out there but nothing compared to MO

DFUW has a good aesthetics,the world is well "crafted",its looks good,much more better than MO world even with a inferior engine in terms of graphics

DFUW is combat fast-paced

in DFUW you can play in first-person or third-person.

DFUW territorial war system is more deeper(villages,siege weapons,ships).

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Why MO sucks?

• Use-to-improve skill system
    • Poor combat
    • Buggy like it was released 10 years ago.
    • Graphics glitches
    • Becomes unplayable during ingame night time with certain graphics cards
    • Not really innovative in any area
    • Empty - there's not much to do or see

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by muffins89

it's an honor to hear from you ripper x.  i have watched several videos from you,  most notable the one where you call out every other player in darkfall on behalf of the mercs. 

also,  uzik.  if this is the same uzik, i have watched your new player guides for darkfall and found them to be very informative and one of the main reasons i will be checking out dfuw.   

This is THE Uzik : ) Thanks, I plan to make similar ones for DFUW.

Here is just a quick comparison showing why people choose DFO over MO.

MO Combat:

http://youtu.be/m0muFbBy0Ls

DFO Combat:

http://youtu.be/LlE_gTP78Co

http://youtu.be/04ZieiGCRa4

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• KnutCupKnutCup Member UncommonPosts: 21

Uzik, Ditto on your past efforts, the recordings were a great help :)

See you in DFUW's!!!

• YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    MO sucks pretty much and is built on buggy code by people are bad programmers.  Because of this, there is only so much they can do to actually fix the game and its issues.  Another issue with MO is the staff, I know ppl complain of AV, but have yet to have anyone say their gameplay has been affected in df by corrupt GMs and staff.  MO stinks, simple as that.
  • MortaMorta Member UncommonPosts: 8

If you are in it for combat, DF:UW hands down.

- DF has marine AND land combat that is awesome. Siege warfare is epic.

- I loved how big it was and the fact I could spend hours exploring and wouldn't get bored because mobs were placed realistically and looking for them took thought.

- The magic system was cool, the downside was that you HAVE to level up magic to be able to be viable. DF:UW should fix this! WOOT!

- I understood the reasons but how you went about attacking and taking forts and strongholds always felt "off" to me. I liked   more anarchy in my battles than specified attack times.

- Politics were fun (yes I said it) - swaping holdings, etc.

Things I prefer in MO are:

- The ability to place houses anywhere for the most part.

- I liked the taming aspect because I always felt DF failed in the way you aquired mounts and the fact they were figurines in your backpack.

- Crafting in every way (It bugged the hell out of me that in the original DF you could get different herbs from the same plant, and I hoping that is fixed in DF:UW)

- MO always feels more chilled to me which is what I want sometimes. In DF I was always looking over my shoulder and my heart rate was frequently spiked by players or monsters I wasn't expecting to encounter.

- Whether they are lying (as some accuse them of) or not, the MO devs are WAY better at communicating. Both are small dev teams so neither are A+ in that area, but I always felt I was totally in the dark (pun intended) with DF and I feel it is slightly less dark with MO. lol

- Mortal Online is F2P for the first 60 skill so no harm in trying it.

Either way, I have and will continue to play both games unless one takes a severe turn for the worse. FYI, MO is not NEARLY as bugged as it used to be. Both are fine sandboxy games that will always keep a cult following. Crafting vs combat seems to be the deciding factor for many people. Pick your poison. :o)