Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Vanguard and the price of a saga

2»

Comments

• ozerinxozerinx Irvine, CAPosts: 199Member
    stop arguing just let the people that enjoy the game play it and let the ppl that want to bash the game leave this thread because it isn't helping new players out at all. 
  • DreamionDreamion GothenburgPosts: 286Member
    Originally posted by allegria

Vanguard has its warts. But if you have not played or really spent any time with it and are a general MMOer you will have missed:

1. some of the best dungeons in any MMO ever

2. Some of the best class designs in any MMO ever

3. some of the best crafting in any MMO ever ( swg better imo )

4. Probably one of the best world designs, ever.

I have gone back many times, that said If i were to speak to a friend I would say:

Do it once, hit the main dungeons and always do things grouped.

Yep, this goes for me aswell.

• EverketEverket MiddenheimPosts: 240Member Uncommon
    Putting the game on an ssd was a revelation for me, changing chunks only takes 3-4 seconds now!
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by Starpower

So an item unlock is 25 cents during double station cash periods. A character has 20 adventure slots and 20 diplomacy slots not to mention harvesting slots in seperate tabs that all costs to unlock?

That's just for 1 character. If you want to max crafting and actually make something worthwhile within several crafting spheres with multiple characters, then you could argue the price suddenly would be extremely steep. Then you may as well pay the monthly subscription which frankly prior to the F2P conversion wasn't worth the price. If it was then It would have had a higher population. Even with upcoming updates I personally find both the F2P pricing and the 15 a month too much for Vanguard in particular.

I've played VG extensively in the past and I'm no stranger to plucking down cash in a F2P game but IMO I think I'll pass

If you're doing all of that with multiple characters and crafting and whatnot, then it sounds like the game is worth subscribing for, which makes the cost of unlocking everything moot.  

You make me like charity

• olepiolepi Austin, TXPosts: 1,149Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Everket
    Putting the game on an ssd was a revelation for me, changing chunks only takes 3-4 seconds now!

Odd, I am running without an SSD, and changing chunks is 2 sec. When I did have the game on an SSD, changing chunks was like a blink.

------------
    RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

• StonesDKStonesDK SomewherePosts: 1,805Member
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Starpower

So an item unlock is 25 cents during double station cash periods. A character has 20 adventure slots and 20 diplomacy slots not to mention harvesting slots in seperate tabs that all costs to unlock?

That's just for 1 character. If you want to max crafting and actually make something worthwhile within several crafting spheres with multiple characters, then you could argue the price suddenly would be extremely steep. Then you may as well pay the monthly subscription which frankly prior to the F2P conversion wasn't worth the price. If it was then It would have had a higher population. Even with upcoming updates I personally find both the F2P pricing and the 15 a month too much for Vanguard in particular.

I've played VG extensively in the past and I'm no stranger to plucking down cash in a F2P game but IMO I think I'll pass

If you're doing all of that with multiple characters and crafting and whatnot, then it sounds like the game is worth subscribing for, which makes the cost of unlocking everything moot.  

I didn't say it wasn't. I said 15 a month is too high a price IMO. I would concede to 7 - 10 a month tops. Then It would be good value for me and I have to make a disclaimer when I say that, because there's always one retard not necessarily you, that mentions subscribing for a year to get the price down. I never pay a year in advance when I take long breaks in between game sessions. It would be a foolish commitment. if you happen to be of the former persuation I'll gladly elaborate on that further

Other than that, my critizism isn't directed towards Vanguard. Just SoEs pricing model which will continue to keep me from this game

Value is always in the eyes of the beholder. If you think you get a kickass deal from SoE and this is the bestest F2P model in the world then more power to you. I'm not here to argue what you like or not. It's not about you

• AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,849Member Uncommon
    One way to keep the "price" down but still enjoy perks further in Vanguard, or any SoE game, is to take advantage of double and triple SC weekends. 15.00 Walmart gift card gets you 6k SC which will last through a lot of bag and item unlocks, probably until the next x2/x3 weekend.

A x3 is coming up on the 21st I believe. I'm not sure if it includes Walmart cards though as they mentioned it for PS2 which has it's own type card. Still, 4500 SC for 15 bucks is still a good deal. I do not sub any SoE games ATM but have a large amount of SC to get what I need.
  • allegriaallegria San Francisco, CAPosts: 682Member
    Originally posted by olepi
    Originally posted by Everket

Odd, I am running without an SSD, and changing chunks is 2 sec. When I did have the game on an SSD, changing chunks was like a blink.

All SSDs are not created equally for sure. What you want is one with very very good Random Read performance.

2»