Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

bored of wow clone themeparks? STOP BUYING THEM!

it seems that people on this forum purchase almost every single mmo that comes out and then complain about lack of innovation and wow clone themeparks. $60 is a nothing, no big deal right?

Wrong

everytime you buy a cookie cutter wow clone mmorpg you are basically telling devs/suits that they can continue to release such games because you will keep buying them. dont get caught up in the advertising hype. by purchasing un-innovative games you are encouraging companies to make un-innovative games. 

Comments

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by oluanji
    [mod edit]

You make me think, the articles that you write . asked if, in practice, the effect of good . Dafuq did i just read?

On topic. Many people believe the hype even when the evidence is right in their faces. Take swtor for example, I bought a CE and told myself it wasnt gonna be wow in space even tho long time beta members told otherwise. I told my self "its Bioware and 300milllion$ they cant screw this up" 

Its really hard to judge a game until you actually try it as devs only show what they want.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by bishbosh

it seems that people on this forum purchase almost every single mmo that comes out and then complain about lack of innovation and wow clone themeparks. $60 is a nothing, no big deal right?

Wrong

everytime you buy a cookie cutter wow clone mmorpg you are basically telling devs/suits that they can continue to release such games because you will keep buying them. dont get caught up in the advertising hype. by purchasing un-innovative games you are encouraging companies to make un-innovative games. 

I have been saying this for years, but people dont listen. the sheep will continue to run out and pre order the next big MMO just off hype alone. then they will play it for a month and complain for a year about how bad it is and how its just like the other 10 games they pre ordered.

in the end its the players fault we have crap games. if people would stop buying the garbage games then companys would stop makeing them.

horrible games like star wars that sell a million pre orders only hurts the genre in the long run. and whos fault is it? the poeple who buy it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sound advice actually, and I only recently came to agree with it. I passed on GW2 because I knew it wasn't what I want and went back to EVE to wait until DF:UW releases.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Actually it is not so much people buying WoW clones it is that people are NOT buying the "dare to be different" games. Vanguard was probably the last triple AAA sandboxy MMO and yet it was ignored by MMO players even after all the bugs were fixed. Don't blame people for buying WoW clones but blame the people who avoid sandboxes.

The only games that seem to do well outside of wow clones are cheap Free 2 Play games.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

You make me think, the articles that you write . asked if, in practice, the effect of good . Dafuq did i just read?

It's a gold spammer who is looking for forums of some other language (I'm guessing German) and is lost.  It would be good if you delete his links from your quote, though.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

I agree. But my addiction to online gaming does not.

That being said, it's not as easy to find another game once you've invested years of your life in it just because they keep doing the same thing. I like my typical MMORPG, it's not broken, why do we need to fix it?

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    but,  but,  it's so shiney!!! i can't contain myself.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Havent bought a new mmorpg since Rift (and i like rift), because i just cant stomache the garbage being released at an alarming rate. I went old school to get my mmorpg kicks, dont care about graphics, i have a real mmo that im playing not some konsole kiddie wetdream.

But many new sandboxes are coming, that i will invest in :)

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by bishbosh

Wrong

everytime you buy a cookie cutter wow clone mmorpg you are basically telling devs/suits that they can continue to release such games because you will keep buying them. dont get caught up in the advertising hype. by purchasing un-innovative games you are encouraging companies to

Who exactly are you addressing this to?  I'm looking for the people who have been begging for more wow clones and buying them and then complaining that the game is a WoW clone - can't find them.

I'd like to know what 'un-innovative' games you are referring to.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409
    1 problam OP. Most wow clones are free to play now!, so that being said, everyone likes free ^_^
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Donno what your talking about, i don't feel i got burned at all. Didn't buy GW2, Didn't buy SWTOR, Didnt Buy Tera, Bought TSW and still love it to this day. i just wish they would release content more quickly, but i also understand im being a little unreasonable to ask for more than once a month.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

heres the thing , some of us like doing quests and when we want to play a real good sandbox we play minecraft and not this indie garbage that comes out every other month claiming to be the best sandbox only to have like 100 people playing it a few months later. Name one sandbox that has released in the last few years that can keep subs like a themepark game can? I can only think of one game now still running strong and thats eve and you see threads here all the time about vets running off new players there. There is nothing at all wrong with themepark games , be it wow clones or something a little different as long as they can get the games released with decent updates and content out of the box.

The issue isnt wow clones or some sandbox , the issue with games nowadays is they all release with limited amounts of content that cannot handle even casuals getting to end game faster than they can release something worth while. No game including rift to this day can release content out the door fast enough to satisfy most gamers and thats because they ALL release with limited features because of time constraints or unrealistic goals like GW2 and SWTOR. When game companies stop releasing stuff to fast and listening to crappy distributers like EA then you will see a good game staying on the market a long time without losing most of its community.

Originally posted by fatboy21007
    1 problam OP. Most wow clones are free to play now!, so that being said, everyone likes free ^_^

I dont, not when it comes to my mmorpg's! These free games are like an invasion of turd monsters,

Originally posted by cronius77

heres the thing , some of us like doing quests and when we want to play a real good sandbox we play minecraft and not this indie garbage that comes out every other month claiming to be the best sandbox only to have like 100 people playing it a few months later. Name one sandbox that has released in the last few years that can keep subs like a themepark game can? I can only think of one game now still running strong and thats eve and you see threads here all the time about vets running off new players there. There is nothing at all wrong with themepark games , be it wow clones or something a little different as long as they can get the games released with decent updates and content out of the box.

The issue isnt wow clones or some sandbox , the issue with games nowadays is they all release with limited amounts of content that cannot handle even casuals getting to end game faster than they can release something worth while. No game including rift to this day can release content out the door fast enough to satisfy most gamers and thats because they ALL release with limited features because of time constraints or unrealistic goals like GW2 and SWTOR. When game companies stop releasing stuff to fast and listening to crappy distributers like EA then you will see a good game staying on the market a long time without losing most of its community.

You fell on your head? Minecraft a good sandbox? And indie garbage that comes out every other month? You mean the 287 themeparks that have been released since rift that all failed? THink you mixed up sandbox with themeparks.  Hasnt been a huge release of sandboxes llike this you speak of. 

Oh and there hasnt been a true sandbox released in a long long time. So this statement is......... well we will just leave it at that. But i can name a good 7-10 new sandboxes coming out that will blow most that  other stuff out of the water if you like ;)

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Sound advice actually, and I only recently came to agree with it. I passed on GW2 because I knew it wasn't what I want and went back to EVE to wait until DF:UW releases.

Yea it's great advice, why i bought GW2, and passed on a lot of other MMORPG's.

I do like EVE's concept, except I don't do subs but I must agree it just like GW2, DF:UW, TSW, and fin I'll throw in PSO2 as well, these MMOs aren't wow clone themeparks

That's what the OP talking about right wow clone themeparks, not themeparks, sandboxes, and MMOFPS...right? I hope so lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409
    the Sandbox King is---------Second Life. You can do anything in that game that you can in real life with no limitations and a true sandbox has 0 limitations. and ive yet to see a game rival this one.
  • MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    I agree. For a few years after the golden age of MMOs I was guilty. Bought games like AC2, Matrix, Tabula Rasa, AoC, ect  and played each maybe a month. The last few years I've waited for reviews or gotten into the betas of games I'm following to better guage if they are worth my money.
  • bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388
    Originally posted by cronius77

this thread really isnt aimed at you. if you enjoy themeparks style mmorpgs, congrats-- u were born at the right time. make the most of it while it lasts and have fun.

the problems with content u are describing is an issue themeparks have and it cant really be solved. it takes several days to design, create, test and implelment a dungeon. it takes a couple of hours max to complete that dungeon. it is pretty much impossible for any developer to make content that fast. you would have to pay something like a $500 sub so they could hire enough devs to push out content that fast. sandbox games solve the whole issue because the content is the players and how they interact and change the mmo world. 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Originally posted by oluanji
    [mod edit]

You make me think, the articles that you write . asked if, in practice, the effect of good . Dafuq did i just read?

On topic. Many people believe the hype even when the evidence is right in their faces. Take swtor for example, I bought a CE and told myself it wasnt gonna be wow in space even tho long time beta members told otherwise. I told my self "its Bioware and 300milllion$ they cant screw this up" 

Its really hard to judge a game until you actually try it as devs only show what they want.

actually it is wow in space. just not with a 6 year being released advantage ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I'm not bored of themeparks.

And just because a game is a themepark doesnt mean its a "WoW clone".

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Novusod

Actually it is not so much people buying WoW clones it is that people are NOT buying the "dare to be different" games. Vanguard was probably the last triple AAA sandboxy MMO and yet it was ignored by MMO players even after all the bugs were fixed. Don't blame people for buying WoW clones but blame the people who avoid sandboxes.

The only games that seem to do well outside of wow clones are cheap Free 2 Play games.

True....but I am playing Vanguard now...trust me....all the bugs aren't fixed. But it's STILL heaps better than any current MMORPG released.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If I had to guess, I'd say that the people who are bored with WoW style games have already stopped buying them. The people on these forums disappointed in WoW style games aren't bored with the genre of WoW style games, they want something more from it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    I have not bought an MMO  in a while. However as soon as the new Darkfall gets released on Steam, I will break my MMO drought. I dont think I am a fan of full loot PVP, but  I will go in with an open mind and give it a shot.  If nothing else I will be proud to donate money to a developer that has the balls to pick an MMO crowd and make a game for them instead of making a bunch of garbage trying to please everyone and ends up pleasing no one.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Stop buying them??  Good Lord - what an innovative concept!  You, sir, are a genius!!  Nobody in the history of MMO gaming has EVER thought of...

Oh, wait...

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Except obviously there is still a demand for them, if WoW can have 10 million subs after 8 years then there is a desire to play that style of game.  Now I personaly do not condone that playstyle as I am bored if it too but thank god developers have finally seen the light and started innovating on the different styles of MMO games with games like GW2, PS2, AA, FF, NW and ESO either released this year or coming out in the near future.  This is more non-WoW clone games releasing this year and next then all of the previous 8 years combined.  Thats all we gamers really wanted.

#choices

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!