Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$69 ARM Samsung PC running Linux

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/02/hardkernal-reveals-pair-of-quad-core-exynos-odroid-u-boards/

Exynos4412 Prime 1.7Ghz Quad core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore

10/100Mbps Ethernet with RJ-45 LAN Jack

2048MB(2GB) LP-DDR2 880Mega data rate

x2 USB 2.0 ports

HDMI connector

Ubuntu 12.10

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAiov-bgz9w&feature=player_embedded#!

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think these things are so cool, but I have no idea at all what to do with them. I'm sure you could run a Minecraft server on one, or a custom router, but beyond that, I'm not real sure what to do with them.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I'd use it as a back-up PC or a PC for my mom.

This will run 1080p movies / blu-ray, it will browse fine, you can put android on it if you want, you can play game, and you can stream games through gaia, the Mali GPU is very nice.

The CPU and GPU on this are pretty nice, it can do a lot more than just browsing or watching videos, the mali GPU in this and the quad-core is pretty powerful. It's not the same as a full desktop PC, but it does pack a punch.

The price on this is just insane, for someone who just browses the internet, plays some games and enjoys using Ubuntu, it's such a deal.

I can also see someone taking them with them in a backpack when they go on a trip, you have a ton of power and your OS and stuff in a tiny box, all you need is hook it up to a screen.

I personally think this thing is nuts, I hope more ARM boxes like this come out, and with Steam coming to Ubuntu and Ubuntu supporting ARM, things will get exciting pretty soon.

Not to mention the amount of power you save on this thing, many people just browse on their PC and play movies, very few people need a ton of power, this is more than enough for a huge group of people. They do need to get used to Ubuntu, but it runs Firefox and Chrome so, not too hard to use if most of your stuff is browsing the web.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Am I the only one thinking "Score, free Visa card"

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Am I the only one thinking "Score, free Visa card"

Would still need the security code and expiration date, but yah, I hope that card isn't actually valid.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Id use something liek that for my mom or grandma, but I really wont be using that for gaming methinks...

Unless I can like..Play Skyrim at 1280x720 on medium-high settings o.o  Then hells yes! (^_^)/

o.o

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

there's loads of these projects around now, diff features for all price ranges.

For example, the Raspberry Pi is actually half that price of this and does more or less the same thing (as in being an open platform, you can run server or whatever - mine runs a full HD media center to stream stuff off my NAS).

Also, Raspberry is a no profit thing co-founded by David Braben - that alone is cooler  for a mid thirties nostalgic gamer like myself :) (and it has its own minecraft native port, btw)

Originally posted by samvenice

there's loads of these projects around now, diff features for all price ranges.

For example, the Raspberry Pi is actually half that price of this and does more or less the same thing (as in being an open platform, you can run server or whatever - mine runs a full HD media center to stream stuff off my NAS).

Also, Raspberry is a no profit thing co-founded by David Braben - that alone is cooler  for a mid thirties nostalgic gamer like myself :) (and it has its own minecraft native port, btw)

Aye raspberry Pi seems really nice. I have to say though, this is far more powerful than the raspberry Pi, so I think the prices make sense on both.

Originally posted by Etherouge
    This seems like something that mobile phones will be able to do in a few years, or maybe even now. 

Yeah. It's the same CPU/GPU as in the Samsung Galaxy S3, it's just clocked at 1.7 GHZ instead of 1.4 GHZ. Cellphones are really becoming powerful machines.

I'm mostly excited about the potential of ARM, not in particular this unit although it's great, I think in a few years, tiny PC in such a format will be everywhere.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    70$ arm pc that so powerful. Thanks for the tips. And as someone said these are great when building pcs for oldies. Just a small box behind the screen and they are happy with it :)
    Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.