Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] with Colin - huge content updates in the coming months

Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

We had a huge Halloween update in October, we just had a big one in November, we have a giant Christmas update coming in December, and all of those have gone over really well, and I think in December people are going to be really excited. But January and February are actually are biggest updates to date. They’re even bigger than all the stuff we did in October, November and December. And I think that when people see how much stuff they’re gonna get for no monthly fee in January and February, they’re probably going to be blown away. These two months combined are basically an expansion’s worth of content for free.

From interview among other things with Colin Johanson from Arenanet:

http://gamingbolt.com/guild-wars-2-interview-we-talk-to-areanet-about-how-the-mmorpg-has-been-doing-post-launch

Last month's update with a solid new dungeon and zone, we have something even bigger coming in the next few months. Are you interested what that might be? What do you think what awaits us?

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Sounds good, but i guess alot of players would prefer them to fix their basic game in first place.

The state of many mechanics, systems and classes is still embarrasing, while ANet's communication (or shall i say "attitude") is just unprofessional.

Got my money's worth though, but no amount of content is going to bring me back as long as they don't get their basic game together.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Volgore

Sounds good, but i guess alot of players would prefer them to fix their basic game in first place.

The state of many mechanics, systems and classes is still embarrasing, while ANet's communication (or shall i say "attitude") is just unprofessional.

Got my money's worth though, but no amount of content is going to bring me back as long as they don't get their basic game together.

I think you overstate the problems. Nothing you mentioned is "game breaking". Look at any of the other mmos that have been out for 5 years or more and they still are balancing classes. 

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

While I think its great that they continue to work on the game, saying that they are bigger or better then the last two content update doesnt say much for me.  Both of which were total garabe as far as I am concerned.

Anet often has a tendancy to overhype itself so take his bravado worth a grain of salt.  If it comes out and its great, good, but I will believe it when I see it.

As far as bugs not being game breaking, there are a lot that currently are.  Bots are still an issue, even if less so then before.  WvW is very broken at the moment, with rampant bugs and cheating and lack of development.  Many class traits/skill simply dont work at all.  Some tech issues where sever side login doesnt let you login for a couple of weeks/crashes/etc.  As a poster above me said, I got my moneys worth, so good on that.  But seeing how this game has been run since launch gives me very little to look forward to.  And the fact that WvW isnt mentioned basically at all makes me cringe a little bit.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I'm looking forward to all that's coming(for FREE!)

I think people dont get that they are working way ahead. they've already probably knocked out the coming years releases, and are planning the next years.

OMG ANET NOT FIXING THESE BUGS

They have moved on already. They probably have a little team dealing with current issues, but the real manpower is developing content, i think. Which is why bug fixes are so slow.

But then, if they stopped developing to address issues, they get slammed with" NOTHING TO DO OMG NO CONTENT YADA YAD" etc.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• geremadygeremady Member UncommonPosts: 73

Personally more zones or dungeons will not give me back the urge to log in again.

Better-working classes and skills and new systems for advancement of characters and skills might.

And I get a little tired of the argument that because it is free we should be glad with everything they give us.

A game is either good or not - what you pay for it doesnt change that.

Originally posted by geremady

Personally more zones or dungeons will not give me back the urge to log in again.

Better-working classes and skills and new systems for advancement of characters and skills might.

And I get a little tired of the argument that because it is free we should be glad with everything they give us.

Gw2 is not only good...it's great.  The stuff that they keep adding is gravy. 

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by geremady

I agree with this post.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

I hope they do a huge social update where they fill out all that glorious space that isn't being used in the capital cities. Namely, if they release the other 29 activities that didn't make it into the game at launch that would be great too. 

There's a ton of emotes that are half in like the emotes from GW1 and there's a severe lack of town clothes. When they start getting more fun non combat things for people to do, maybe so many of them will realize that there's more to do than grind fractals endlessly. 

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Hopefully they add something that makes me want to log in again. Here's my wishlist:

Fix your horrid dungeons. Bring in the trinity!

Joined - July 2004

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Just typical of Anet,they have been bragging since day 1 of the very first video i ever watched on this game."Best art team in gaming".This while showing off guild halls in the first video,yet they never put out the effort to do them.

Truth is they released an unfinished product,so NOTHING after  the release is FREE,they OWE the buyers content.FFXIV did the exact same thing and i criticized them as well,you cannot announce a release date before the game is even out of final Beta,it means you care more about the deadline than the game.

Other AAA games will release with more content,not hard since many finished GW2 in a matter of weeks.AA is going to have housing,land plots,building of ships/boats many otehr ideas ,like your own in game garden ect  ect,and they have not yet announced a sub fee ,so it shows they care more about the game than the cost and deadline.

They even choose to brag about Halloween and Christmas content?Umm this has been going on in even the cheapest f2p games for years now,so how is it GW2 sees fit to once again brag about the EXPECTED?

To be frank,nobody in life likes a bragger and ANET has become the most annoying developer on the planet.Yes i know SOE is the worst for releasing bugs,but they don't brag about it when they fix one.

You know what this lame dev needs,is a REAL interview,not one that is staged to marklet their product,one that asks the tough questions and why content is missing.The problem is they would NEVER do it.

GW2 is not even about GW2 ,it really isn't ,many people are happy with their purchase,it is more about the lame developer that runs it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

We had a huge Halloween update in October, we just had a big one in November, we have a giant Christmas update coming in December, and all of those have gone over really well, and I think in December people are going to be really excited. But January and February are actually are biggest updates to date. They’re even bigger than all the stuff we did in October, November and December. And I think that when people see how much stuff they’re gonna get for no monthly fee in January and February, they’re probably going to be blown away. These two months combined are basically an expansion’s worth of content for free.

http://gamingbolt.com/guild-wars-2-interview-we-talk-to-areanet-about-how-the-mmorpg-has-been-doing-post-launch

This month's update with a solid new dungeon and zone, we have something even bigger coming in the next few months. Are you interested what that might be? What do you think what awaits us?

Will the new dungeon and zone be staying after the monthly event is over, or is it going to be like the others where you get access for a limited amount of time?  

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Just typical of Anet,they have been bragging since day 1 of the very first video i ever watched on this game."Best art team in gaming".This while showing off guild halls in the first video,yet they never put out the effort to do them.

Truth is they released an unfinished product,so NOTHING after  the release is FREE,they OWE the buyers content.FFXIV did the exact same thing and i criticized them as well,you cannot announce a release date before the game is even out of final Beta,it means you care more about the deadline than the game.

Other AAA games will release with more content,not hard since many finished GW2 in a matter of weeks.AA is going to have housing,land plots,building of ships/boats many otehr ideas ,like your own in game garden ect  ect,and they have not yet announced a sub fee ,so it shows they care more about the game than the cost and deadline.

They even choose to brag about Halloween and Christmas content?Umm this has been going on in even the cheapest f2p games for years now,so how is it GW2 sees fit to once again brag about the EXPECTED?

To be frank,nobody in life likes a bragger and ANET has become the most annoying developer on the planet.Yes i know SOE is the worst for releasing bugs,but they don't brag about it when they fix one.

You know what this lame dev needs,is a REAL interview,not one that is staged to marklet their product,one that asks the tough questions and why content is missing.The problem is they would NEVER do it.

GW2 is not even about GW2 ,it really isn't ,many people are happy with their purchase,it is more about the lame developer that runs it.

Utter BS, the game released with LOADS of content, just because some people got bored of the game doesnt mean the content isnt there, also their events have been awesome and much better than any other mmorpg ive seen they have all the right to brag about it.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Fucking awesome news!

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

This month's update with a solid new dungeon and zone, we have something even bigger coming in the next few months. Are you interested what that might be? What do you think what awaits us?

Will the new dungeon and zone be staying after the monthly event is over, or is it going to be like the others where you get access for a limited amount of time?  

Dungeon (Fractals) and new zone (Sea of Sorrows) will stay forever. In fact they will expand the Fractals and add new content to new zone.

Edit: I now realize I said "This months update" while I was thinking about the last month (Fractals and Sea of Sorrow). I do not know what kind of content will be added in January.

As of this month update - the Wintersday - that is the Holiday update only, I do not know if any content added during the Wintersday will stay ingame.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I think its great and I have nothing to lose.  Just like they said, its free.

I have the game all ready, so what's not to like?

• CheboyganCheboygan Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I think you overstate the problems. Nothing you mentioned is "game breaking". Look at any of the other mmos that have been out for 5 years or more and they still are balancing classes. 

what do you mean "nothing you mentioned is game breaking" - Volgore didn't mention anything other than generalities - what's wrong with mechanics or systems or classes?

i'm guessing classes has something to do with pvp as so called PVPers are never happy with classes unless they are all "balanced" into blandness - hopefully they don't touch classes as "fixing" them for pvp usually ruins them for PVE

have no guess on the other 2

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by geremady Personally more zones or dungeons will not give me back the urge to log in again. Better-working classes and skills and new systems for advancement of characters and skills might. And I get a little tired of the argument that because it is free we should be glad with everything they give us. A game is either good or not - what you pay for it doesnt change that.
    I agree with this post.

Same here. More zones and dungeons won't bring me back. There needs to be other activities to do like housing, fishing, games, etc. I hate grinding zones and dungeons for gear and scraps of silver.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

Well I haven't uninstalled the game, and I'll probably take a look at the patch notes.

But I have no desire to log in anymore.  Thinking about the game just makes me sad, and I'll never spend another dime on it.  It doesn't matter what they do as far as I'm concerned, because they've exhausted every last shred of good will I had.  Too little too late.

Peace and safety.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by remyburke

Hopefully they add something that makes me want to log in again. Here's my wishlist:

No to the trinity. If they can find a way to make both systems work I'm ok with it, but if we end up waiting for a particular class in our groups I'm out of the game.

Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by remyburke

No to the trinity. If they can find a way to make both systems work I'm ok with it, but if we end up waiting for a particular class in our groups I'm out of the game.

I think most people agree with you. 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I agree, and I also say to myself when reading apost like the one you quoted I just want say "Life." just that one word and nothin else because I can't really think of anything living life, living it perfectly, I always expect great things to have flaws and issues in [life]. 

Mainly MMORPG's. I guess since I can tolerate a lot of things I don't start bullshitting as if I expect things to be perfect. By the way there isn't anything truly game breaking in GW2 [so far]. Ascendent Items are subjective though.

Speaking of embarrassing, I be wondering why some people pay to hate on a game, lol shit doesn't make sense, in short I'm talking about people who know they won't like a game but will still buy it knowing damn well they don't like it, just so they can stroke their cyber egos on the forums lol "I told you so!" [Sorry for off topic rant]

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

"F2P/B2P games will never release as much content as P2P games!"

"Ah they already have your money so they don't care about you".

"They adding new content all the time? They should be fixing all tthe bugs and make all classes completely balanced before that! Ah the game was released unfinished so they owe you that content to start with."

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

"They adding new content all the time? They should be fixing all tthe bugs and make all classes completely balanced before that! Ah the game was released unfinished so they owe you that content to start with."

Sorry but that statement isn't true.

So WoW, with it's 10 million subscribers still insists on cashing in again and again for new content in the form of expansions... hmmm

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I still keep reading this website and I am amazed at how jaded MMO players are. They will whine no matter what. They burn through a game's content in 1-2 weeks where this content will take normal gamers months to go through. I am still amazed at how so many people get to max level in 1-2 weeks in MMOs. I mean do you guys play 8 hours a day? Don't you have anything else to do?

But what is really annoying that most MMO players seem to have some sort of moral code which forbids them from a playing a game no matter what. E.g. in this thread you have so many people saying that no matter what ArenaNet they will not play. So there are no changes which can ever make you like a game? Really?

Anyways companies should NEVER listen to the MMO playerbased. NEVER! They QQ all the time and they come up with some random high ground principles which prevent them from playing a game. It's so silly, it's ridiculous.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by wireded21
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Sorry but that statement isn't true.

So WoW, with it's 10 million subscribers still insists on cashing in again and again for new content in the form of expansions... hmmm

Just to inform I'm not stating anything but instead collecting ideas some express (generally they express all of those ideas in different situations/time frame), using that exact wording or wording to similar meaning.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders