Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I did try to like it, I tried badly, but...

gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Well, I have tried to like the game. I have put some decent hours into it, hoping that I would finally find something in it worth my time.

However, the more I play the more I am convinced this is not my game.

It actually has everything that I dislike in any game, everything at once, and it even managed to expand my list.

Small map: nuf said. Really really tiny.

Artificial pathing: To make up for the lack of size, they build rivers and cliffs all over the place, so that if your objective is 100 mts away, you know you will have to walk around all those dense obstacles for several miles.

Zergy: very zergy! The most efficient way of getting exp is joining any zerg or just solo-zerging any watch tower that is under attack.

Promotes ninjaing: Ninjaing kills grants experience faster than actually killing stuff. You don't even need to participate on the kill to ninja the loot.

Locking animations: Nothing like getting killed while you reanimate somebody or execute an enemy mob and not beeing able to do anything about it.

Stupid respawns: Like a dozen enemy mobs at once respawning on your face with no warning whatsoever who insta-engage you.

Grindy: I quickly found myself doing the same thing over and over and over and over...

Cartoony graphics. I know this is just something personal, but I also know I am not the only one who dislikes that.

Bad class balance: While some classes can grind exp AFK, others struggle to complete one quest alone.

On top of that they managed to add:

Bad aiming, specially when strafing.

Bad munition management

Bad tooltips (when you happen to have them)

Dynamic? My ass. The same events spawn at the same place with the same time intervals. So predictable that it's a joke.t

So, well I tried, man I tried, but... I have to end up admiting to myself I have wasted my time trying to like this game.

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Im glad you enjoyed your time there.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    All I did was watch a vid of the game on youtube. Didnt look like my type of game. PS2 masssive worlds and battles are a lot better imo.
  • TerminatrTerminatr Member Posts: 114
    I could discredit every one of those bullet points from about an hours first impression, but i neither have the time nor feel like it... maybe later.

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by gordiflu

Well, I have tried to like the game. I have put some decent hours into it, hoping that I would finally find something in it worth my time.

It actually has everything that I dislike in any game, everything at once, and it even managed to expand my list.

Artificial pathing: To make up for the lack of size, they build rivers and cliffs all over the place, so that if your objective is 100 mts away, you know you will have to walk around all those dense obstacles for several miles.

Zergy: very zergy! The most efficient way of getting exp is joining any zerg or just solo-zerging any watch tower that is under attack.

Promotes ninjaing: Ninjaing kills grants experience faster than actually killing stuff. You don't even need to participate on the kill to ninja the loot.

Locking animations: Nothing like getting killed while you reanimate somebody or execute an enemy mob and not beeing able to do anything about it.

Stupid respawns: Like a dozen enemy mobs at once respawning on your face with no warning whatsoever who insta-engage you.

Grindy: I quickly found myself doing the same thing over and over and over and over...

Cartoony graphics. I know this is just something personal, but I also know I am not the only one who dislikes that.

Bad class balance: While some classes can grind exp AFK, others struggle to complete one quest alone.

Bad munition management

Dynamic? My ass. The same events spawn at the same place with the same time intervals. So predictable that it's a joke.t

So, well I tried, man I tried, but... I have to end up admiting to myself I have wasted my time trying to like this game.

Are you joking?

You do realise this is still semi-early beta and they've still to add most of the content?

Including openworld PVP.

And tiny world... Get your facts right, they're going to be adding new york, london etc etc. All the blue area is going to be explorable and all the BLACK area is going to be explorable.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Terminatr
    I could discredit every one of those bullet points from about an hours first impression, but i neither have the time nor feel like it... maybe later.

I'm pretty sure you could rationalize and spin them but discredit them no.  You cannot discredit someones opinion of something , if thats the way someone or a group of people feel about something a 10,000 word post wil not change it, but go ahead knock yourself out.  We all secretly know your right hes wrong.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

Bad munition management

Are you joking?

You do realise this is still semi-early beta and they've still to add most of the content?

Including openworld PVP.

And tiny world... Get your facts right, they're going to be adding new york, london etc etc. All the blue area is going to be explorable and all the BLACK area is going to be explorable.

Companies never seem to learn that their games will be judged, even in beta on what is playable - not what is promised. Beta unfortunately doesn't mean what it used to these days, people use it as a trial and not a test.

• OP is completely right, at first i loved this game and wanted it to be my main game, but its terrible.

and as far as people saying its beta Well they just released all the PVE content. this is how the games gonna be so deal with it.

they need to change so many things in this game and they refuse to for the sake of "E-sports fairness" like this stupid fucking game is going to make it in e-sports, no one gives a fuck about firefall no competivie gamer is gonna jump shit to play a shitter verson of quake which we moved on from 10 years ago.

they need to bring back lvls because teir unlocking is garbage.

they need progression because there is almost NON in the god damn game

they need  area or instances or open instances with respawns so people dont have to kill 1000 stupid grabs just to level.

classes are complete garbage and in no way synergize well with each other. the most non tactical MMORPG i ever played, hell they cant even have instances because the class types are stupid as fuk, no tank, no real healer,

when you really break it down,

imagine making a game with only archer classes. thats what it boils down to on.

i just cant believe they can make such a good foundation for a game and completely sh!t on it. i really want this game to be good i really do but its just terrible atm

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by kartool
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

Are you joking?

Including openworld PVP.

Companies never seem to learn that their games will be judged, even in beta on what is playable - not what is promised. Beta unfortunately doesn't mean what it used to these days, people use it as a trial and not a test.

Gentlemen...

When I said "tiny world" I was already considering the blue and black area. Try EQ or VG for actually big worlds. Cliffs and rivers all over is something that most devs do just to hide that: a tiny world. Firefall abuses both.

No amount of content is going to solve the zergy and messy feeling, the erratic aiming, the loot ninjaing, the kill ninjaing. the locking animations, the insta-respawns and the bad class balance.

Bad class balance is something that may get better after the beta (I doubt it); same applies to poor tooltips. But the rest of the issues are related to the core concept of the game and are not going to change no matter how long and meticulous such beta is.

Not to mention you can already pay to get into the beta during the working days. As far as I know, you don't pay for actual betas, do you. You actually get paid for playing actual betas. This is closer to marketing than to a proper beta.

Finally, this beta's objective was a stress test. They are not going to change the core game mechanics. If anything, they'll work on server architecture, network architecture and such. And these core game mechanics are flawed now, and will have exactly the same flaws on actual release. They won't change. This is pretty much the game you are going to get bar a few missing aditions.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Bad munition management

Also have to agree with this(think I even saw some people running around just picking up the loot) and the rest being said.

Felt to me like a not very good port of a not very good console shooter so am wondering if that's what it's going to end up.

Will be interesting to see if it improves over the beta period, but when was the last mmo that did?

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

do you know the meaning of the word

BETA

???

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158

I havent' seen this ninja kills you are talking about. I remember that I was getting like 15-90 xp when assisting and 50-120 when getting the actual kill. Sure you can "ninja" in theory when it's a small scale battle, but I really can't see it in the big fights where you have bugs coming to you left and right.

As for the quests again I am not sure, I have tried so far the engineer battleframe, the assault and the heavy one and all so far work ok.

Originally posted by FromHell

do you know the meaning of the word

BETA

???

I totally do. I have actually been paid a decent salary as a profesional tester for one of the biggest companies. Now, do you?

I already addressed the Beta argument, and I have not been the only one doing so. Now, if you cared about actually reading the thread before posting blindly, that would be appreciatted.

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    I feel like the game im playing and the game the bashers are playing are totally different.
    Originally posted by Tymoris

I havent' seen this ninja kills you are talking about. I remember that I was getting like 15-90 xp when assisting and 50-120 when getting the actual kill. Sure you can "ninja" in theory when it's a small scale battle, but I really can't see it in the big fights where you have bugs coming to you left and right.

As for the quests again I am not sure, I have tried so far the engineer battleframe, the assault and the heavy one and all so far work ok.

I have been ninjaing myself. I even pushed it and was really blatant to check the player's reactions. Most players didn't even realize while inmersed in the zerging.

As for clases, you will probably change your mind when you try recon and bio.

Originally posted by Tsuru
    I feel like the game im playing and the game the bashers are playing are totally different.

Gentleman, there's a difference between bashing ("omg this game is the sux, I wouldn't touch it with a ten feet pole") and expressing one's opinion ("I don't like this game becouse this and that").

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but then I am also entitled to mine.

Having said that, I am leaving this thread before the fanbois start the flaming campaign. I can see it coming, not for me. I gave away my 5 cents, sorted, bye.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Bad munition management

Sounds more like you are bad at FPSs. Stick to other MMOs.

I suck at FPSs myself so I don't even try. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Originally posted by Ivylena

Sounds more like you are bad at FPSs. Stick to other MMOs.

I suck at FPSs myself so I don't even try. :)

I shouldn't be answering, but this appeared even before I managed to actually leave the page.

Yeah, the flaming campaign took 1 post to start, see? I told you I saw it coming.

Well, I happen to be quite good at shooters. Not exceptionally good, but certainly better than average.

Have a nice day, now really leaving the thread for good.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

i really liked it.. its about time we got a fps PVE game.. Im sure the maps get bigger and more content will be added. I couldnt stand PS2 but this i like enough that Im considering buying the founder thingy.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134

Couldn't agree with you more, finally something different than those games nowadays who call themselves "shooters" . 

Which really means, have all the snipers aim at the door trying to one shot you, whilist the rest flanks you so you get spawnraped all day everyday...

Of course no game is perfect and indeed FireFall has it's flaws, but it's one of the smoothest beta's I've played in a long long time, yes I've had some issues but nothing game breaking. Red5 is wise to do the beta the way they are doing it (testing different things each segment) and I'm positive the game will be brilliant for those who it was aimed for.

I had a lovely time ingame for two weekends (thus far) and really hope I get to play more!

The community is very very helpful and kind, unlike 95% of the MMO's out there.

For me the action (movement, aiming, etc)  and teamwork is spot on.

@ the OP, 

I find 9/12 of your points very person based, I must say FireFall is not for everyone, but it's a shame you couldn't wait around and see what FireFall really is.

a mmo TEAM BASED  PvE FPS/TPS (with PvP support but that seems less imporant atm? or atleast to me)

TEAM BASED in capital letters, because you seem oblivious to the fact what this game is trying to do.

And  a "Professional tester? excuse me, but you are WAY to subjective for that job. 

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

Here comes the second beta. To the guys saying "you don't know what a beta is". Has any of the points I mentioned been addressed, just one? Or are all of them exactly as they were on the previous one? Do you expect any of them to change on release? Honestly?

About opinions and beta testing. When working as an actual tester, nobody gives a dime about you enjoying a game or not. You got a bug tracker and you just look for bugs and report them. However, as a player, I do have an opinion which has nothing to do with what an actual beta is.

• badhorsebadhorse Member Posts: 3

When you say here comes the second beta do you mean the beta weekends? I assume you are because so much has changed during the beta of this game. I don't know if you will see any difference between this next weekend and the last but I think there is a patch coming right up so maybe. Anyway, I just wanted to state for the record that this game has changed SO much during beta that it is a dif game now than it was at launch.... a better game. 

For anyone interested in the game you can check out my stream  http://www.twitch.tv/badh0rse  I give keys away all the time. The keys are perma access not weekend crap. I think the weekend stuff is really just to stress test the server .... the have so many other beta testers already. If you get a perma key don't worry either .. you will keep all your xp after launch.

edit: btw I just woke up more and have now found the rest of this post ... makes much more sense now! har har

Originally posted by badhorse

When you say here comes the second beta do you mean the beta weekends? I assume you are because so much has changed during the beta of this game. I don't know if you will see any difference between this next weekend and the last but I think there is a patch coming right up so maybe. Anyway, I just wanted to state for the record that this game has changed SO much during beta that it is a dif game now than it was at launch.... a better game. 

For anyone interested in the game you can check out my stream  http://www.twitch.tv/badh0rse  I give keys away all the time. The keys are perma access not weekend crap. I think the weekend stuff is really just to stress test the server .... the have so many other beta testers already. If you get a perma key don't worry either .. you will keep all your xp after launch.

edit: btw I just woke up more and have now found the rest of this post ... makes much more sense now! har har

Sorry, English is my third language, so sometimes I don't manage to explain stuff properly. I meant second beta since my last post.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Terminatr

Why bother...he isnt going to go..Oh damn Terminatr..your right  I love the game now...  Your the best.  Here have a puppy!!

He dislikes the game..its his right..

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Tsuru

Gentleman, there's a difference between bashing ("omg this game is the sux, I wouldn't touch it with a ten feet pole") and expressing one's opinion ("I don't like this game becouse this and that").

???  No there isnt.  Both are opinions. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• TreephrogTreephrog Member Posts: 17

Here we go. Weekend stress tester thinking they know what's going on.

Ok. Some things here. First off, tiny map. Really? Obviously you have done absolutely no research into what this game is aiming for. That is, a 1/10 scale model of Earth, with a 5 year story arc planned out. That map you see is just the first tiny step. This beta (yes, it is a real beta, judging from your other posts you have been involved in an internal beta, which is what this goes through before the public testers ever see a build) is still quite early. It is nowhere near release in features or content, and this is something even the devs will stress. I'd say we've got the better part of a year before this game nears completion.. and that is probably on the conservative side.

Walking *around* obstacles? WTF... you have a jetpack you know.. and gliders. Climb a mountain and fly where you want to go. Or grab a temp bike from the Copa terminal. It will get you pretty much anywhere on the map before it times out.

Solo-zerg. O.o what in the world is that? Figure out what a zerg is and you'll understand why that term is immediately laughable. Oh never mind, I'll tell you. A zerg is a simple overpowering by sheer numbers. Anyway, as far as watchtowers, I can solo them. Yeah, that means all by myself. Hell, I can solo a warbringer for all that matters. Takes a bit of patience, but quite doable in most frames. Actually one of my favorite things is go around with 1 or 2 friends, taking back areas. If we wanna really faceroll stuff, we'll get together a full squad of 5 and just clean up.

Kill XP, getting the kill shot grants the same as assist XP. If you didn't get enough damage into the mob to get assist XP then it wasn't *your* mob to begin with. If you want to farm it's on you to do enough damage fast enough, otherwise mobs are anybodies, whether they were thumper spawned or not.

Ninja loot, any mob you kill, the actual loot, that is the resources, only you (or your squad if you are in one) can access the loot. Heath and ammo are ffa. Basically what I'm saying is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to ninja. You kill mob, it's your loot. People don't see loot from creatures you kill, so they certainly don't see you picking it up.

Locking animations, dunno, I can get out of a revive just fine if I see I'm being damaged too much during it. I've left many teamates in mid revive to run away to save my own life, or the thumpers.

Here comes the second beta. To the guys saying "you don't know what a beta is". Has any of the points I mentioned been addressed, just one? Or are all of them exactly as they were on the previous one? Do you expect any of them to change on release? Honestly?

I think you mean "Here comes the second stress test weekend" since beta is 24/7, and has been since April. To be precise, it was actually the 3rd (and last planned as far as we know atm) stress test weekend. The stress tests are to test connectivity to the new EU servers and see that they are all (EU to US and vice versa) communicating under a reasonable load, as being able to move to play with a friend across country borders on their servers is a major consideration for the game. Not anything like a stress test from many companies which are nothing more than glorified early access right before a finished game is released. Any changes between the 1st stress test weekend and the 2nd are in any patch notes released in the beta forum. Since you previously were a "professional beta tester" you should be able to look those up, surely. And honestly, yes, *many* things *will* be changed from here to release. We've already had a complete revamp of the progression system over the summer (and when I say that, I mean they yanked a major, core system of the game out and replaced it with something completely different), and they're talking about changes to that again. We've really only got basic framework in place. There is loads of work still to be done. More types/classes of enemies, mob AI, AI director (basically the controller for an oversized RTS, in which players are single units of an army, playing against the AI controlled army in a battle to control towers and strategic points across the map), more PvP maps and map types, army content, vehicles, open world PvP, revamped crafting system and tech trees for crafting, armies, vehicles, etc.. etc. I believe many of your "issues" were you simply not understanding the game/goals of the devs/how the game works in the first place.