Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I would have played SWTOR if they didn't ask for a phone number.

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
I don't give my phone number out ot ANYONE let alone an online game.  That was dumb.

Comments

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Totally just made that number up breh, not a big issue to get round. Bigger issue is why you want to play that giant steaming pile of dog shit.

• morbitangelmorbitangel Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    I don't give my phone number out ot ANYONE let alone an online game.  That was dumb.

lot of reasons not to play this but yours isnt one of them...

not sure what op is trying to achieve with this thread lol

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

So was - GASP! - not making up a phone number.  TRY and think outside the box.  :D

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    I would have registed here if they hadn't asked for an email address, hang on, /facepalm

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

You should be creative if you want to play with lightsabers and droids, and stuff... Here, you can use my number: 1-800-STAR-WARS :)

(jokes aside, when I regged my f2p acc to check the restriction, I used 123456789 and it worked. lol)

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Hey, that is my number ... what a coincidence

Though anyone every actually got called by an mmo company before?

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Haha would be hilarious if they kept ringing you asking for you back, like a clingy ex who can't move on.
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

I don't remember Bioware asking for my phone number.

But then again, they didn't buy me a drink first either.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

Totally just made that number up breh, not a big issue to get round. Bigger issue is why you want to play that giant steaming pile of dog shit.

Who gave you my number??????

Signed by God.....

Just my 2 cents...

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

What this guy said.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

kinda strange.  Just put in 213489329074.  who cares?

I self identify as a monkey.

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343
    No idea why gaming companies ask for personal data. I always give fake ones...even for address let alone phone number. With all the hacking going on and data insecurity I won't risk giving my real data.  And I bet most of the players give fake numbers so the company can't do much with it anyway.  Pretty stupid thing imo.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Which is a bigger step:  giving them your phone number or your credit card number?

I'd hope that a game that asks for a phone number usually wouldn't do anything with it other than to store it.  It wouldn't even need to be in the active database, but could just be burned onto a CD during weekly maintenance, stuck in a drawer somewhere, and then deleted from the database while leaving only a record of what date you gave them the phone number.  But if some hacker steals your account and your e-mail address, having a phone number on file that you gave them a year ago could be immensely helpful in determining that you're the real account owner.

It could be implemented such that a phone number previously entered into the system is never shown through the web page, but only internally for the company.  And so that "old" phone numbers are never overwritten, so even if the hacker does add a new phone number, the company could easily deduce that the phone number added when the account was stolen isn't really yours, but the much older one is.

Is that what SWTOR would use your phone number for?  I don't know.  But it strikes me as a plausible reason to ask--though not a plausible reason to insist that customers must give you a phone number.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Which is a bigger step:  giving them your phone number or your credit card number?

I'd hope that a game that asks for a phone number usually wouldn't do anything with it other than to store it.  It wouldn't even need to be in the active database, but could just be burned onto a CD during weekly maintenance, stuck in a drawer somewhere, and then deleted from the database while leaving only a record of what date you gave them the phone number.  But if some hacker steals your account and your e-mail address, having a phone number on file that you gave them a year ago could be immensely helpful in determining that you're the real account owner.

It could be implemented such that a phone number previously entered into the system is never shown through the web page, but only internally for the company.  And so that "old" phone numbers are never overwritten, so even if the hacker does add a new phone number, the company could easily deduce that the phone number added when the account was stolen isn't really yours, but the much older one is.

Is that what SWTOR would use your phone number for?  I don't know.  But it strikes me as a plausible reason to ask--though not a plausible reason to insist that customers must give you a phone number.

lol, good point

I self identify as a monkey.

• ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113

If you have a smartphone chances are your phone company tracks your location and what you do on your phone. Supposedly to try and sell advertisements better. They also sell this information to other ad companies so they can do the same thing. So i'm pretty sure giving out your phone number is the least of your worries.

http://bgr.com/2011/04/20/your-smartphone-is-tracking-you-and-you-said-it-was-okay/

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    LoL at the op you could have givven them 8675409  and told them to call Jenny. 
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    If you do give them a fake number, make sure you keep a record of it, in case you're ever talking to support and they ask for it to verify you. ;-)
  • Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    867-5309   Ask for Jenny....
  • Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    lol Dude you got Jenny's # too?  That tramp!!!!!
  • StuntieStuntie Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by obii

Yep. They called me about double glazing for my spaceship and over something called PPI for my Speeder bike loan.

Cheers
    Stuntie.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Acebets70
    lol Dude you got Jenny's # too?  That tramp!!!!!

Nope, he's got pranked by some other Jenny (check his number, it is ended with 409 not 309 :) )

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Stuntie
    Originally posted by obii

Yep. They called me about double glazing for my spaceship and over something called PPI for my Speeder bike loan.

LOL. You are a winner image

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E