Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall -- this MMO is full of WIN !!!

2»

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Not my type of game to be honest.    They did marry shooter in mmo pve enviroment similar to mmorpg games. 

I am not saying this is bad thing, because it is not. I am sure there are people that will like it.  I am just saying I personally am not attracted to something like that.  So I did play few times for few hours and unintalled.   Not for me.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    The engine is not Unreal engine, it is Offset Engine :  heavily modified cell-shaded version of Offset Engine.
  • CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
    Can't wait for Open world pvp to be added.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    I know what I will be playing the whole weekend :D

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

It must be so quiet because everyone is playing it ?

I mean .. man, yesterday it was all full of Chosen arround Copa ..

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Was pleasantly surprised by Firefall as well. The outrageous accents of the characters and over the top artstyle somehow fit the world perfectly. An open world which is pretty impressive as well for a F2P game and one that is filled with public event type things and fun story quests.

The PvP is also fun and fast paced and reminds me of a mix of global agenda / TF2 with older shooters like quake 3.

Firefall doesn't try to be the next ultra realistic shooter where you have to deal with recoil and reticle bloom etc, that's a great thing imo.

Like others in this thread, I do see the game getting old fast without some super challenging group PvE content or some persistent ongoing PvP.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I usually hate shooters, but I love Firefall.

What does that say?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Instanced pvp though. I'll pass and stick with ps2.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I'm enjoying my time with the game as well.  I was pleasantly suprised that I really liked the graphics and art style when I got in game.  I usually hate cartoony graphics but these seem to fit the game well and it does seem like an exotic alien world that is quite immersive (especially at night).  Nice to have the option of first person and a type of third person.  I've not had a lot of time with the game so I haven't been able to experience most things.  Just a positive first impression.

I do have a few concerns.  I think this game needs a tutorial.  The inventory and ui are odd along with the character "progression" system for an MMO.  Talk of the world being really tiny has me worried though...tiny game worlds are rarely a good thing.  Not sure why PvE seems to be taking a hit due to PvP reasons once again.  Separate the mechanics already.

I couldn't care less about PvP so no open world PvP initially doesn't bother me.  Although I would like to see them add some PvE group stuff (dungeon type areas). 

Edit:  The game also runs really smooth on my horrid graphics card.

• CompozitorCompozitor Member UncommonPosts: 13

Cool game!! )) I like it! Waiting for more updates ingame. Full freedom!

I just don't understand why i didn't seen this game before.

Only good emotions. Except only bugs, but this is only a matter of time.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I personally liked the Thumper thing. The bigger ones have some amazingly huge fights happening around them.

• CompozitorCompozitor Member UncommonPosts: 13

Yeah! This is gret idea!  When it starts to Thump it's like calling a Spice Harvesting in "Dune" =)) Hopefully there is no giant WORMS =)) right now...

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Siveria
    I dunno, I found the game quite boring to be honest, it felt like tabula rasa minus all the parts that made tabula rasa decent. Its still in beta so it can only get better but the game is going to need some major changes if it plans to hold peoples interests for more than a short time.

I'm glad someone felt that way too. It definately has a Tabula Rasa vibe to it. I guess it is mostly how the mobs you fight are and the dynamic minievents. When you are fighting anything that has ranged attacks at some point they will shoot an unavoidable shot at you and you will take damage no matter how much you are trying to avoid it. And with the dynamic events or whatever they are calling them, they are fairly simple destractions that don't make for very interesting content yet. So far I've done thumpers, Chosen droppods, LCV wreckage, scanning for a mage boss dude, and the purple vortex mini events. Each one is somewhat fun but there's not enough to them.

I haven't even bothered to look at PvP because well... Planetside 2. Nuff said.

Overall it is OK. Not enough of my type of game to put money down on it. For those that really loved TR I suspect they will like this.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Played the 48 this weekend.   I have to say im impressed (but thats not hard) and I wll play at realease and any more beta events they choose to have.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    fun game especially with the Jet packs. A bit of confusing tutorial and harvesting , but this game shows promise, this could be my game of the future
  • cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

this will be a niche game. some will love it as a global agenda replacement, others won't.

granted this was just a beta weekend - however, after playing for many hours during the 48 hr invite, i decided this game was not my kind of game. there are a lot of shooters out there and I did not see this game offering much to differentiate itself from the competition.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Tutorials right now are almost non existent because there are so many new things added and tweaked that would be foolish to try to create a deep tutorial. The game is awesome fine.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Are there any persistent, strategical elements to fight over for? Like crafting points, spawns etc? Basically I am asking if there is any depth to the game to go with the action?

Yes and no. The enemy NPCs (The Chosen) can take over  a watchtower, which doesn't really take anything away from the players. But, retaking it will take a group effort and will reward you with resources. Also, if you are hunting/harvesting around, it is helpfull to have a friendly location to fall back to in case of emergency... or death.

So no, its not like Planetside where certain bases give certain benefits and you lose your advanced vehicles if you have no access to a tech base. But also isn't a complete ignore - you have this small carrot hanging in front of you for trying to recapture the base/watchtower.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• ElGringoUKElGringoUK Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by jimmyman99
    So no, its not like Planetside where certain bases give certain benefits and you lose your advanced vehicles if you have no access to a tech base. But also isn't a complete ignore - you have this small carrot hanging in front of you for trying to recapture the base/watchtower.

At the moment in the beta there isnt much to the Chosen really, they kinda drop from the sky in drop pods randomly around the map, form groups and move across the map try to take over nearby bases/watchtowers, though this is purely so the devs can work on the AI and balance their difficulty and find any bugs in them.

The actual plan is for the Chosen to push through the Melding (the electrical storm surrounding the map) with force and try take over bases/towns and then gather resources themselves and try to grow their army, and then expand to try to claim more and eventually try to take over the map, kinda like a RTS meta game within the game between the players and the Chosen. Any resources or technology that we own in these areas we lose, and the Chosen will gain.

As it stands in the game the current map is small, but once the mechanics for pushing back the Melding come into the game, the idea will be that the players will push back the melding to expand the world and open up more zones/technology/towns/etc and also meaning player will have more to try hold onto, and if neglected could either fall to the Chosen or maybe be swallowed up by the melding again. Thus creating a live world that players will have to try to constantly defend, and at the same to to try to expand.

Anyhow, this is not in the beta as it stands and the Chosen War mechanics are the focus of their current Milestone they are just starting, so hopefully this will start to flesh out a lot more over the next few months.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    EDIT: My question was asked and answered so removing it.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Yamota
    Are there any persistent, strategical elements to fight over for? Like crafting points, spawns etc? Basically I am asking if there is any depth to the game to go with the action?

There is some now:

The process of thumping requires using a scanhammer to go out and find veins of ore to mine out - it's closest equivalent would be scanning in SWG.

You have to defend the thumpers while they extract - they tend to attrack local wildlife (mostly mutated bugs and lizards and such). The smallest takes about 3 minutes, the largest 5. To fully mine out a vein, it takes on the other of 10 of the largest thumpers, or about 50 of the smallest.

In the time it takes you to find a vein, and exploit it, chosen drop pods, meld tornadoes, wildlife, and other things will inevitably pop up and say hello.

Also, there are watchtowers around the area - these basically serve as respawn points for death, and for stations for changing equipment or battleframes. These can be taken over by us (Accord) or them (Chosen). Having a nearby watchtower can mean the difference in a 30 second run back to what you were doing, versus a 5+ minute run back.

If you are doing meld thumping (thumping right along the meld wall) - it attracts denziens from inside the meld - which are about twice as powerful, and twice as many - so it's four times as dangerous, making having a nearby tower very critical - both as a station to be able to fall back to and regroup, as well as having a base from which to quickly respawn from.

Chosen can even take over entire cities - I have seen them try to take Copa Cabana (the biggest city area) and Sunken Harbor, but not take them over. Every other area I have seen Chosen occupy at least once.

What is not in the game as of yet, but promises to be soon:

The meld wall - basically a giant blue curtain that hangs over about half the map. Going into the blue meld will kill you (it acts as a damage over time), so you can't go very far into it. There are ways to push it back right now, but only temporarily. Supposedly by holding key positions, in the future, we'll be able to keep it pushed back and expose new areas (with richer resources to exploit), and even new cities.