Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is not a "new" game....

PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

I played DF for a little over a year. While it was decent PvP the rest of the game really wasn't that great. I mean it kept my attention for over a year with just PvP alone, but that even got stagnant after a while.

So my question is about this hype. What the hell is this game getting so much hype for? Its the same game "re-made" which tells me its gonna be the same PoS it was before aside from PvP. Am I gonna play it? Yes, but I doubt I will stick around long if it sucks as much as DF did.

Comments

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Anytime a mmorpg settles on one aspect of the rest it causes issues. If you dont have a balance between pvp, pve, crafting, exploration, social, and everything else it wont suit a lot of people. They can not claim this is a sandbox if they skip the other stuff that makes a game a sandbox.

I will try, but if its all about pvp, there are hundreds of other games out there for that.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

It adresses many of the flaws of the old game, it has a rewritten engine with more up to date gfx (still no crysis)

And tbh the game could keep you for 1 year with his PvP thats more than many other trippel A MMO's can do.

If you are active in the political scene its a never ending fun.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

I'm a big PvP'er, I have many games on my desktop that I just play for PvP alone. DF was one of them. I'm not saying I played it all the time for a year, but I did have it installed for a year.

I just don't get the hype being so high for this game. DF didn't have that much hype. Just very shocked that this game outhypes every other new game coming. I just don't understand where it's all coming from. What is getting peoples attention this time around?

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    With the new character specializations, I'm wondering how well they balanced the pve. From the videos it looks the unholy wars characters are a lot stronger than the old characters, but if not much has been done in the pve balancing department then this aspect of the game could be a big fail. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

I'm a big PvP'er, I have many games on my desktop that I just play for PvP alone. DF was one of them. I'm not saying I played it all the time for a year, but I did have it installed for a year.

I just don't get the hype being so high for this game. DF didn't have that much hype. Just very shocked that this game outhypes every other new game coming. I just don't understand where it's all coming from. What is getting peoples attention this time around?

Have you seen the design/quality of recent MMO's delivered to us for the past 8 years or so?  People are just so very tired of playing the "same ole thing" they're desperate to try anything else, in the hopes of a new/more interesting experience.

I'm a great example, I suck at PVP, dislike full loot PVP yet I'll be playing DF:UW because even with those two issues I mentioned it still might provide more entertainment than I got from 3 other titles in the past year.

Good enough for me.......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

The new game essentially is a re-release of the old one with a new engine and fixes for everything in DF1 that didn't work.  They've taken a new direction that makes the game more friendly to casual players and accessible to a larger market rather than just "niche" gamers.

AV has done absolutely NOTHING to hype the game other than releasing very short class demonstration videos.  All the hype is from the community because we know what the game is going to be.

I say this with all due respect, but if you got bored of Darkfall pvp after playing for a year, you weren't doing it right.  Were you part of a bigger zerg?  Who did you run with?  

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Some of  "what didn't worked" has been re-released.

Much will simply turned off  like ALL siege equipment beside the blunt siege hammer  and ALL ships beside the very lowish starting ones.

Even the new role specializations WONT be completed missing out 25% of the roles (lets hope all the others are ready , we havent seen all them yet..

I have to agree with OP about why all the hype, seeing all the incompletness ?  Hence DF1 was more ready then DF:UW with all ships and all siege equipment in game ..

it must be the playerbase of DF like to being used by Tasos and AV  to hype this game.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    every mmo released this year was the same 1)develop poor game content 2)make as much noise as possible 3)sell preorder and release copies for overvalued price 4).... 5)profit
  • SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden
    Some of  "what didn't worked" has been re-released.

Much will simply turned off  like ALL siege equipment beside the blunt siege hammer  and ALL ships beside the very lowish starting ones.

Even the new role specializations WONT be completed missing out 25% of the roles (lets hope all the others are ready , we havent seen all them yet..

I have to agree with OP about why all the hype, seeing all the incompletness ?  Hence DF1 was more ready then DF:UW with all ships and all siege equipment in game ..

it must be the playerbase of DF like to being used by Tasos and AV  to hype this game.

You have uncovered the Grand Conspiracy!!! 

AV is rereleasing their game that they have rewritten from scratch and charging nothing for it. 

... and some people are excited to play it?

The outrage!!

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    They seem to be the same company, just bigger now. Delayed release dates, lots of stuff not in game yet, empty promises that will never be answered. Lots of people will be let down again, give it a few weeks.
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Werent they overhauling that game or something a few months back? Or did that fall through? I tried playing it about a year ago and it was just horrible. I like the concept but the way they executed everything was just bad, almost to the point of unplayable. I couldnt get through the free trial the game was lacking in so many areas that I gave up.

And here AV is doing exactly what you hoped for when you wrote this in a post about Mortal Online.

Seems like a double-standard to me.

DF-1 might not have been the right game for a lot of people (but it was very playable, unlike MO) and DF-UW might in the end not be the right game for a lot of people... but I personally give AV hell-a-lot of credit for believing in their game and doing this no matter the eventual outcome.

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

One year is more than I have put into :

WoW, AoC, Rift, and SWtOR combined.

That is more than enough hype for me.

• mmorpgmanermmorpgmaner Member UncommonPosts: 241

Because they fucked up terribly on the internal design of the original game. They couldn't fix things quickly with the game because they, themselves didn't even know how to change the coding without fucking the game up because the codes were mashed together over 8 years on different builds that were realllly sloppily coded.

All I have to say, you played the game for over a year, I hear most people on this website saying they try most MMO's 1-2 months and get b urnt out.

You stayed for over a year on PvP alone, and they are revamping the game to balance the PvP and make PvE viable (new epic mobs etc)...

The game is and always will be centred around only faced paced epic full-loot pvp to me, but the game is truly what you make it.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

I find this idea that MMOs must operate as "catch-alls" for ALL styles of game play laughable at best ;D

Just because it's an MMO does not mean it has to have questing, or raiding, or even PvP. Any developer can - if they so choose - focus on as many or as few elements of the formula as they wish to. There are a handful of great MMOs out there that only focus on one or two elements of the formula.

If YOU want an MMO that caters for all the things YOU want to do in an MMO, go and find that MMO elsewhere. To not labour or burden developers with YOUR expectations.

• mmorpgmanermmorpgmaner Member UncommonPosts: 241

I also forgot to add, they acknowledge that the DF-1 learning curve for noobies was terrible, and that's part of the reason they are re vamping the game.

The dev's themselves say they want less down time for everyone, they want a noob to be able to get the hang of the game, learn a roll, start perfecting it from the start.

Or maybe you juts want to be a hunter-gatherer?

There were a LOT of problems in DF-1. With that being said, just the combat system alone made the game THE BEST GAME EVER PLAYED by a lot of the people that touched it.

This game truly brings meaning to epic warfare, clan battles, group fighting, world pvp, seamless, and hard core.

There will always be a need for carebears in darkfall, you may not be as skilled in the twitch aspect, but that does not mean you will not make it far in the game one way or another.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Onomas

Anytime a mmorpg settles on one aspect of the rest it causes issues. If you dont have a balance between pvp, pve, crafting, exploration, social, and everything else it wont suit a lot of people. They can not claim this is a sandbox if they skip the other stuff that makes a game a sandbox.

I will try, but if its all about pvp, there are hundreds of other games out there for that.

I feel you.  I too will try the game and like you I look for alot of features in my MMO so if all the game is  100% gankfest liek the original and no support for PvE and Exploration then I will quit within 2 days just like the original.  I can handle the ganking and camping if the rest of the game is polished and offers full support from the devs.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by mmorpgmaner

Because they fucked up terribly on the internal design of the original game. They couldn't fix things quickly with the game because they, themselves didn't even know how to change the coding without fucking the game up because the codes were mashed together over 8 years on different builds that were realllly sloppily coded.

All I have to say, you played the game for over a year, I hear most people on this website saying they try most MMO's 1-2 months and get b urnt out.

You stayed for over a year on PvP alone, and they are revamping the game to balance the PvP and make PvE viable (new epic mobs etc)...

The game is and always will be centred around only faced paced epic full-loot pvp to me, but the game is truly what you make it.

Turbine turned out the very best MMO I've ever played in Asherons Call / Darktide.

And they have run into exactly this kind of problem. Asherons Call is so hard coded and unoptimized that they state they are incapable of even something as simple as consolidating their low population servers.

I still play and still love Asherons Call, and I would wish for nothing more than Turbine doing exactly what AV is trying to accomplish here. 

Give AV credit for believing in their game enough to go to this effort.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

No one mentioned it yet.

DF being only and mostly about pvp is not the reason why DF 1.0 was bleeding. I really hate these claim.

The reason DF 1.0 was bad, was because of the korean type grind. DF had the worst grind ever. It took not 6 months to compete, but years. Why? Because there was no class, no limitation. 100% hybrid were the masters in that game.

There's were much more reason why the game was so bad. Bunny hop. When you think you're winning a fight or when you think you can run away in safety, your opponent will bunny hop all the way just to break you up. DF with bunny hop = newb-gone.

In fact, the best days of darkfall is at launch, when no one took the time to grind and only the time to pvp and politic. Problem, the clan name merc started to exploit the game and they were taking over. No one could do anything because of their character advantage. Because of that, everyone else started to follow their foot print to become the best. More players left cuz at the end, you were forced to grind like crazy and eventually, for years just to compete.

Last chapter, you needed to make macro scripts to cover everything. That was the ultimate downfall.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Have you seen the design/quality of recent MMO's delivered to us for the past 8 years or so?  People are just so very tired of playing the "same ole thing" they're desperate to try anything else, in the hopes of a new/more interesting experience.

I'm a great example, I suck at PVP, dislike full loot PVP yet I'll be playing DF:UW because even with those two issues I mentioned it still might provide more entertainment than I got from 3 other titles in the past year.

Except that DF's quality was pretty substandard outside of the PvP department, and DFUW doesn't seem to be improving much on those areas (based on the lack of coverage over these features), which is why OP wrote that post. People who've never played DF probably won't understand, but to ex-players, the fairly large hype surrounding DFUW may seem unwarranted.

Rather, it is exactly because of the underwhelming quality of MMORPGs over the past 8 years that players shouldn't hype themselves so much for a title, even more so considering Aventurine's past history with DF. I'm not saying that people won't enjoy the game or shouldn't play it, but they certainly shouldn't be throwing all their money at the screen at launch, and instead take a step back and watch what's going on.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I played DF for a little over a year. While it was decent PvP the rest of the game really wasn't that great. I mean it kept my attention for over a year with just PvP alone, but that even got stagnant after a while.

So my question is about this hype. What the hell is this game getting so much hype for? Its the same game "re-made" which tells me its gonna be the same PoS it was before aside from PvP. Am I gonna play it? Yes, but I doubt I will stick around long if it sucks as much as DF did.

for starts the origional was an awesoem game and i spent many years playing it..

Also this is a new game they have changes a lot in the game not just the graphics.. but yeah if you didnt like DF then you probally wont liek DF:UW..

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Caldrin

for starts the origional was an awesoem game and i spent many years playing it..

Also this is a new game they have changes a lot in the game not just the graphics.. but yeah if you didnt like DF then you probally wont liek DF:UW..

He stuck with it a year before, so nothing to say he wouldnt get another out of it really.

With his apparently stinking attitude towards the game though in general, who knows?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by SerignuadAV is rereleasing their game that they have rewritten from scratch

I highly doubt DFUW comes anyway near to "rewritten from scratch" but if so, Aventurine must be the dumbest developer in history to re-release exactly same title. Because let"s be honest, if you did not like DF, you won't like DFUW either.

But hey, they call it features...

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Serignuad

AV is rereleasing their game that they have rewritten from scratch

I highly doubt DFUW comes anyway near to "rewritten from scratch" but if so, Aventurine must be the dumbest developer in history to re-release exactly same title. Because let"s be honest, if you did not like DF, you won't like DFUW either.

But hey, they call it features...

Except they are resolving the core issues and there is a clear interest in the games concept.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• KeegarKeegar Member UncommonPosts: 19

full loot sandbox, there is no other like it. great game with a great set of features. PvP really isnt the only thing that keeps it going. Try joining a clan

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Let's state this right - HARDCORE PvP'ers (gankmeisters) are tired of the same ol'/ WHy? because games recently try to balance PvE and PvP rather than just PvP.  Played the original DF and it was such a poorly thoughtout and designed game that nothing but totally redoing the game could fix.  I doubt they spent the time on that.