Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the SSSP save SWTOR?

Topic.

Eaware is touting that their SSSP (Super Secret Space Program) will be a major boost for SWTOR. I dunno, they still havent fixed Illum and the laggy game engine. So many promises only to be let down in the end. Imo, I think the core game (engine, gameplay, class balance) needs a major revamp before they get totally serious about this SSSP idea.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Ilum revamp is coming February/March.  Makeb is coming very soon. As long as they bring new content every 6-8 weeks as they promise, the population will be steady. SSSP though if done right will bring tons of people. They work on game optimization, sometimes with mix results, but there is steady improvement imo.

Next few weeks should bring some more light about Ilum  and Makeb.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104
    Yea same here, if they actually do some good changes to the game and listen to their players suggestions for once, maybe the game could still have some future.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

1) We don't know anything about it

2) We have no idea when it will be released

3) They need to keep appeasing their current players with content

I don't think their SSSP will be big enough or out soon enough to get many people to return.  I'm certainly going to keep an eye on it though.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I hope the improvements make this game better. I like Bioware and I am a Star Wars fan so I hope they do this right this time.
  • SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

Been playing the hell out of this game again. I always liked it and finally finished the BH story. (my Main). Populations are good ..for now and I've seen a shite-ton more RP on Ebon Hawk than before. Especially on Korriban. really cool.

That said. I have a sinking feeling the space update is going to be co-op?(maybe even raid-like) versions of the same game on rails. I hope I'm wrong.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I wish they'd just focus on their strengths. We all know what Bioware is good for and that's story-based content with alignment choices and voice overs. I wish they'd add new chapters to each class story, and add more Flashpoints akin to Esselles and Black Talon (ie. heavily storied/cutscenes with conversation choices). 

If they don't, then I'll be gone once again once I finish the class stories.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

A complete re-write of the Space Game to create a quality standalone free flight is, in my opinion, not going to come anytime soon when the Dev base has been cut to 20%.

I also have reservations about whether the Dev team will listen to the playerbase on what should it should be, they seem to have a determination that they know best and then only change once their version has been released to a poor reception, they need some humility and common sense, listen to the people who will pay you at the beginning of the process.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

1) We don't know anything about it

2) We have no idea when it will be released

3) They need to keep appeasing their current players with content

I don't think their SSSP will be big enough or out soon enough to get many people to return.  I'm certainly going to keep an eye on it though.

The devs have made it clear that the SSSP isn't coming anytime soon (and "soon"TM is already a long time). All that can be said is that there is a SSSP supposedly in the works which proves to be more of a dangling carrot to appease the players who are hoping for a great space sim.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    SWTOR doesen't need to be saved, game is full with players. But i guess you never tried to play this game :)
  • AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147

There's still a problem I can sum up in 3 words.

Abil ity delay

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

I don't think it is the saving grace for SWTOR. No matter what Bioware implements, it will always fail to live up to the perception of sucess that SWG's space game had, the current features of EVE, and the future potential of Star Citizen.

Bioware needs to do what none of the aforementioned seem to have much of (or planned for), which is an integration with the ground game. There shouldn't be a split between space and ground; it should be like the movies where both aspects were important at the same time in order to tell a story.

Bioware should focus on retaining the fans it has now, since the trend has been a decrease in subscribers. Word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool for an online medium where information travels faster and wider then a television commercial or magazine spot.

I suggest that Bioware steps back and dismisses the notion of creating a space game enhancement, but instead they should dive back in with the intent of creating an immersive Star Wars story, no matter where such adventures take players.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by zomard100
    SWTOR doesen't need to be saved, game is full with players. But i guess you never tried to play this game :)

Game was full with players when it launched, then it dropped fast within months as not much to do once reach max level.

Then F2P comes, and boosts population again, but as nothing has really been added to keep players, the population will drop again over the next few months, and permanently this time ... unless the SSSSSP gets in fast and makes the space game like STO/EVE/SWG.

The current space game in SWTOR is the biggest MMO joke - 1) It is single player ONLY in multiplayer game and 2) The missions are not varied at all, as you progress you end up getting the same missions but harder, and they are identical to both Imperial and Republic with exactly the same ship and asteroid formations and you ship follows the exact same path.

The amount of players playing the space game is mostly in the single figures.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I agree that the space missions minigame (I treat is as minigame) SWTOR has right now attract small percent of players. They posted lately on web the comparative usage of different aspects of game by players and space missions are like 2 to 3%.

SSSP if done right would definitely change this graph

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I agree that the space missions minigame (I treat is as minigame) SWTOR has right now attract small percent of players. They posted lately on web the comparative usage of different aspects of game by players and space missions are like 2 to 3%.

for it to be done right however, it would have to not be any of the following;

A. Single player only

B. On rails.

C. Co-op only.

so not really going to hold breath on this one, because i really dont think they can do much with it.image

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

Ilum revamp is coming February/March.  Makeb is coming very soon. As long as they bring new content every 6-8 weeks as they promise, the population will be steady. SSSP though if done right will bring tons of people. They work on game optimization, sometimes with mix results, but there is steady improvement imo.

They do need to fix llum but they need to ask themselves why is there no pvp on other planets besides voss and tattoine, why isn't it large scale, it may improve pve but not pvp side of things as far as OPvP goes.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147

Best ideas. Close the servers down. Reboot the game. Cut out all the voice acting except for class specific lines. Fix ability lag. Fix pvp. Give Freebs more options. End cartel coins.

That will make tor better.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Didnt they say right after launch they were hoping to have guild capital ships by Christmas 2012?

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Paddyspub
    Topic. Eaware is touting that their SSSP (Super Secret Space Program) will be a major boost for SWTOR. I dunno, they still havent fixed Illum and the laggy game engine. So many promises only to be let down in the end. Imo, I think the core game (engine, gameplay, class balance) needs a major revamp before they get totally serious about this SSSP idea.

If they push the right buttons and really make a better version of JTL than yeah, I can see people coming back, even those that might not enjoy the ground combat and just play for the Space combat (that is if they allow you to level up just through space with it's own class and everything a la JTL)

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

It will most likely be very similar to the trash they gave you with stories and cut scenes. Enjoy.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I understand the doubt..........thats what EAware gets when they say BS pre-launch just to get people to buy it. false ads.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Any news on what the revamp will actually do? I'm not a big SWTOR fan, but I would probably still be playing it if ILLUM wasnt such a complete failure. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Jebus.

I can see why some call SWTOR a corridor game.

Way too many people stuck on fleet. Then again maybe all games are like this. It would be interesting to see a graph like this for other games as well.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Vunak23

Any news on what the revamp will actually do? I'm not a big SWTOR fan, but I would probably still be playing it if ILLUM wasnt such a complete failure. 

Well. Initially theye were supposed to eventually make all those abandoned vehicles strewn about interactive / playable.

Apparently that idea got scrapped.

In the new interview they mention something about new buildings in Ilum. Not very illuminating, but that's all I got.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

There was a good band playing on Titanic,but it could not save it.

If they cant fix problems that they have now and was there from the beginning,then theres no hope.

Let's internet

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I kind of pride myself on maintaining a gaming rig that is far above average, I currently run Windows 7, 64bit, with an i7 3.4 GHZ CPU, 8GIGs of memory, a solid state drive and a Nvidia 680GTX video card.

Logging into the main space hub on this game reduces my rig to a slide show with more than 20 people in one place, people not even casting spells, just standng there by the PvP vendors.  There is not a single multiplayer game out there that I can find that performs worse this SWTOR.  Their perfomance problems are far from solved. I expected some optimizations with F2P but they have made no measurable improvements in this area.  Just lip service in their patch notes.

I can pull down 40 to 50 FPS in any MMO with 40 plus players on screen all CASTING and attacking  SWTOR? Your luckly if you get 15 FPS with more than 20 players in combat.

SWTORs problem is with players not the enviornment, I can get 80 to 100FPS in their game when no one is around even in highly detailed environments, start adding players and the FPS start slowing to a crawl, get over 20 players on screen in combat and its over.

My point is they can through as many new things at this game they want , but it will never be a massive mulitplayer game that plays worth a shit, so i wrote it off long ago.