Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony (SOE) Deleting all cheat-hack threads Planestside 2

RighteousRighteous Member UncommonPosts: 99

Check out their forums, massive outrage of the public going on.

And as a follow-up to the fact, check out this live feed of a cheater:

http://www.livestream.com/ArtificialAimin?t=898864

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    So, fairly typical shooter behavior, pretty much?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Righteous

They're deleting them but in the end the information is out, and confirms what some suspected from the get go.  As someone else posted, typical shooter behavior.  If you watch some of the youtube videos of these hacks getting used you can quickly see how just 1 person using this hack can devastate an entire battle, if they are being used on a larger scale (which I suspect they will be), the game will be ruined.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

They have always done this on their official boards, regardless of the game.

If there are no negative threads, then everything is fine, right?

Even when the issues are legitimate?

That is pretty much SOE's response to everything: sticking their collective head in the sand. At least until it is far too late to make any difference.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Burntvet

They have always done this on their official boards, regardless of the game.

If there are no negative threads, then everything is fine, right?

Even when the issues are legitimate?

That is pretty much SOE's response to everything: sticking their collective head in the sand. At least until it is far too late to make any difference.

That seems to be most online games.  Delete the posts and ignore the issue, put out PR spin that you value opinions and are actively working on all issues, wait for the game to collapse on itself.

I mean, most MMOs recently seem to only last a couple years at best with an -active- community, I guess they figure why waste resources combating the issues when most people will quit soon regardless.  The diehards that endure would do so either way.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

With planetside 2, like someone said, it's different. In Ureal tournament 2K4, or any other FPS, you simply jump server, since there are thousands, and the hackers leave you alone. And in extreme cases you just make your server login private so you can kick the hacker yourself.

In PS2, one hacker can destroy one of the handful huge servers planetside 2 has because they can devastate a whole region.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Popori

That seems to be most online games.  Delete the posts and ignore the issue, put out PR spin that you value opinions and are actively working on all issues, wait for the game to collapse on itself.

Of course, the issue withmost online gamers is expectation of instant results, combined with promotion of conspiracy theory when it fails to happen.

Not sure which on is the most irritating, really.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

1. They already know people are hacking.

2. They are wokring on it.  You cannot prevent hacks 100% of the time.

They delete the threads because they don't want to lose business to new and current players just because they see tons of threads reporting hacking. It also, encourages the hackers to continue their behaivor as it is truely affecting some one.

Honestly, I'd do the samething if I was in their shoes.

Also, for the time I've played since launch, I've yet to run into a hacker.  Some of the people reporting hacks are probably not getting killed by hackers, but instead skilled players.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

SOE gets draconic about the forums.  The constantly delete threads that are negative, even when it is about a problem. Durring beta the aimbots were discussed and the threads were promptly delete then.   

I don't understand it but it is the way SOE roles, it not only planetside but it is eq2 and the rest of their boards as well.   The other day we had a push to live that broke a lot of things, even when folks posted in the test forums that the update was giong to cause problems they updated anyway. It took 2 days of hot fixes and we still got stuff that the update broke. When a couple of folks posted in the live forums about the fact they tried to warn the test team those threads were deleted not only from  the forums but also facebook. 

Typical for SOE just saying. 

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I didn't expect anything better with PS2, the first one was plagued with hackers too.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

The whole reason I never buy these type of games anymore, nothing more frustrating and the feeling of wasting money when you empty a magazine on someone at close range for them to not bat an eyelid then turn around on you and kill you with one shot.  People have been cheating on computer games since their creation, magazines were publishing cheat codes, mobile companies have been selling them, books are sold with them.  From a personal point of view I don't understand the need to cheat, obviously people who are unable to achieve a win on their own merits, and people that fail at life itself.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    As already mentioned - typical shooter.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

The whole reason I never buy these type of games anymore, nothing more frustrating and the feeling of wasting money when you empty a magazine on someone at close range for them to not bat an eyelid then turn around on you and kill you with one shot.  People have been cheating on computer games since their creation, magazines were publishing cheat codes, mobile companies have been selling them, books are sold with them.  From a personal point of view I don't understand the need to cheat, obviously people who are unable to achieve a win on their own merits, and people that fail at life itself.

Firstly PS2 doesn't have a purchase price.

Secondly SOE have humped themselves by making the new guns and equipment rediculously hard to get for non-paying players that instead of grinding 4-6 days (~100 hours) just to get enough points (1000) for ONE new weapon on ONE character players are going to resort to cheating.

The worst of it is there are known cheats in this game, there are corps of known cheaters from other games who are actively hacking and cheating and SOE seem unwilling or unable to do anything about it.

PS2 has already become a base flipping exercise on some servers where players actively avoid each other and just exchange continents during off-peak hours.

It's all down to SOE's own greed, this game should have had an initial purchase price and been unlimited F2P from that point onwards with the cash shop restricted to decals and other aesthetic stuff. Instead we have incredibly inflated prices to buy anything worthwhile and a subscription option thats hugely overpriced.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Tayah
    I didn't expect anything better with PS2, the first one was plagued with hackers too.

next to the BFR's hacking is probably the major problem with planetside 1, why they couldnt protect their game from it i don't know, all i saw was that it didnt look like they were doing anything about it, which in the end, was why i gave up on the game. It doesnt really surprise me that Planetside 2 is being hacked, nor that SOE are all over their forums deleting threads that highlight this factor of the game. image

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67

Someone told me the settings for such things as weapon rate of fire, magazine size etc...are all saved client-side. The only anti-cheat check is included in the launcher, afterwards you are free to modify and inject since the game didn't even start at that point (before clicking "Play").

What this means is, players are even able to inject textures with different alpha channels -> hello wallhacks. Also, hackers are able to modify weapon settings (no recoil, bigger magazines) since everything is managed client-side.

I can't help myself but laugh at such idiocy. We are lucky they didn't decide to let us save our characters to our hdds, lol.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I was goign through twitter and found this

John Smedleyj_smedley

we have guys who's purpose in life is to ban the bad guys and dumbasses that use hacking tools.

Now hopefully they do.

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    I don't play anything that has SOE, won't comment why, but seems some people need todo more research before playing SOE games.
  • heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by Lizardone
    I don't play anything that has SOE, won't comment why, but seems some people need todo more research before playing SOE games.

Ditto bad company leads to bad times when you play. I haven't played a $OE involved game since about a year after they took over EQ. I sure am glad.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by heocat
    Originally posted by Lizardone

Ditto bad company leads to bad times when you play. I haven't played a $OE involved game since about a year after they took over EQ. I sure am glad.

You guys don't know what your missing.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Righteous

Smed calling out haruhi after banning him (all 3 accounts) and calling him scumbag.

well this is going to get personal real quick.  hope smed understands what he just did.

Edit:

@Wutzi_bu we don't need to cross reference anything. Use it.. we'll find you. we'll find your family. we'll hunt you down

.....ya , washing my hands lol.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469
    There is a certain bit of informal... inappropriate... unprofessional behavior from SOE -- that... I kind of enjoy!
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I was called a hacker twice now.  Once because i was killing people inside their spawn room because C4 and grenade blast can hit them...

The other time, and this was hilarious,  some 5 man "were behind enemy lines and here to cause mayhem" group got wiped about 3 times in a row by me, alone,  untill i found their sunderer and killed it.

First time i ran into them i was a bit scared, 5 guys not extecting it ect.  Untill they all start shooting wildly at me from the hip, i scoped and head shot one thne moved on to the next killing all.  I decided to stay there (we had biodome regens going so i healed up)...then...again i see them, proceed to repeate the same incident.

Not im curious that i saw them twice in the same spot about 45-60 seconds apart...wheres the sunderer at.  See them again hanging around it, mid ranged head shots for all and then i pull out the rocket launcher and finish the sunderer off.

They did port in a few before the sundeerer was dead and they did kill me that time...with tons of yell taunts that they finally killed the hacker and for everyone to report me ect.

My regret was not video recording the incident.  They were beyond horrible and im going to assume that every encounter they have will be against "hackers" if they are at the skill level i saw.

I also played with a few people who, to them, every kill on them was from a hacker.  I had to get them into a LA and show them what was happening for them to believe that it was possible and not hackers.  We ended up killing the hackers and the morale of the story was in both cases the accusers were beyond retarded and very poorly skills (though both times in denial)

Hackers do exist, its much more rare than you think, and in this game its easy to die, and being new or poorly skilled and in denial makes it seems like everyones running aimbots with wall hacks...doesnt make it so.

I support deleting hack threads, it just snowballs into a game where two things happen.  One, everyone assumes everyones hacking and two, it legitimizes others to hack since you know...everyone else is doing it.  

Next comes the "i was banned for no reason" threads...

• PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Caskio

They delete the threads because they don't want to lose business to new and current players just because they see tons of threads reporting hacking. It also, encourages the hackers to continue their behaivor as it is truely affecting some one.

Also, for the time I've played since launch, I've yet to run into a hacker.  Some of the people reporting hacks are probably not getting killed by hackers, but instead skilled players.

This makes the most sense to me. And he's probably right.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Phlacc
    Originally posted by Caskio

This makes the most sense to me. And he's probably right.

Except for all the people getting killed beyond the max range of the weapons killing them...

And the people getting killed inside their tanks/vehicles without the vehicles being damaged....

And the people getting killed by people using the lag-update hack to fight when invisible...

And the speed hacks....

And on, and on....

And most of that I have personally seen.

The fact is that SOE knew about all these all the way back into beta and before, and yet has not fixed the problems (and this was months ago).

So, fine, they are not ignorant of the problem, they are simply incompetent to the point that they can not even trouble shoot the code that they themselves wrote.

But then, this is SOE we are talking about.

Same exact thing happened with DCUO and that game crashed within a couple months of launch.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

I find it funny that people are shocked when there is hacks in a shooter game lol.

Every shooter game i can think of has had hacks, why do people think PS2 would be any different.

Just hope SOE actualy does something about it, PS1 they didnt seem to do much about from what i hear.

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

I was called a hacker twice now.  Once because i was killing people inside their spawn room because C4 and grenade blast can hit them...

The other time, and this was hilarious,  some 5 man "were behind enemy lines and here to cause mayhem" group got wiped about 3 times in a row by me, alone,  untill i found their sunderer and killed it.

First time i ran into them i was a bit scared, 5 guys not extecting it ect.  Untill they all start shooting wildly at me from the hip, i scoped and head shot one thne moved on to the next killing all.  I decided to stay there (we had biodome regens going so i healed up)...then...again i see them, proceed to repeate the same incident.

Not im curious that i saw them twice in the same spot about 45-60 seconds apart...wheres the sunderer at.  See them again hanging around it, mid ranged head shots for all and then i pull out the rocket launcher and finish the sunderer off.

They did port in a few before the sundeerer was dead and they did kill me that time...with tons of yell taunts that they finally killed the hacker and for everyone to report me ect.

My regret was not video recording the incident.  They were beyond horrible and im going to assume that every encounter they have will be against "hackers" if they are at the skill level i saw.

I also played with a few people who, to them, every kill on them was from a hacker.  I had to get them into a LA and show them what was happening for them to believe that it was possible and not hackers.  We ended up killing the hackers and the morale of the story was in both cases the accusers were beyond retarded and very poorly skills (though both times in denial)

Hackers do exist, its much more rare than you think, and in this game its easy to die, and being new or poorly skilled and in denial makes it seems like everyones running aimbots with wall hacks...doesnt make it so.

I support deleting hack threads, it just snowballs into a game where two things happen.  One, everyone assumes everyones hacking and two, it legitimizes others to hack since you know...everyone else is doing it.  

Next comes the "i was banned for no reason" threads...

Im yet to see a hacker in this game. I believe that there are, but for now...not even 1.