Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will There be a Sequel to COH?

Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

One of the things, I really loved about COH was that its a super hero game using an original IP where your characters could be the focus of a story without all the hang ups of licensing material from a comics publisher like Marvel or DC (who always make their heroes better than yours and you the side kick.)

Champions is... ok in its way but just bare hanging on. But there’s nothing else out there or known to be in the pipeline. I am wondering if this is the end of the super hero MMORPG genre outside of established publishers making games to highlight their character properties? I dearly wish some one would pick up the Mutants and Masterminds IP for an MMO game built around Emerald and Freedom City.

Comments

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Only four votes... O.O

*Cries.*

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

As much as I would like to see another City of Heroes, I think it is dead for the gamers of today.

Maybe someone will make a go of it, but I am not holding my breath...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

Personally, no 2nd one is needed imo. Just keep the 1st one running.

Sadly, with the strange and sudden actions by NCSoft, I am not sure you can save the first game. This is an odd MMO kill man in that I can't understand why they are shutting it down and killing a good studio. It was all profitable... Makes me look for conspiracies.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

There already is a spiritual successor to City of Heroes.

Its called Champions Online.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

This is the correct answer.  Cryptic put their efforts into their defacto second City fo Heroes in Champions online. Remeber how those long requested ideas on the COH forums were going to be added into CO.  The thing is the devs never understood the success of coh and they admitted they did get why people played so many alts.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by MadDemon64

CO isn't what it was, just completely changed directions,  and I hesitate to call it a "spiritual successor" at this time. It could have been if Cryptic had proven able to keep its head above water and ownership out of Asia.  But if it will make you happy just mentally add "second"  to the spiritual successor part of the poll. :)

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Honestly, I think Star Trek Online is closer to a spiritual successor to CoH than Champions Online. CO is just a weird, weird game, both graphically and gameplay wise.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

This discussion has been closed.