Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Long Time Darkfall Vet, Ask me anything.

Comments

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

no auction house.

altho there will be a "marketplace" to serve similar purposes.  to be added after launch.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83

1. how was the naval combat and have your heard anything about it in UW?

2. once you build a castle/city or what have you, can someone be destroying it while you are say, at work?

played a million mmo's

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by Agrias34
    Will the PvP in the game be faction based like world of warcraft, horde vs. alliance, or 3 factions etc.?  Or, are there no factions and the pvp is kinda like Age of Conan, you can attack anyone whenever. 

You can attack and kill anyone anywhere anytime.  There are 6 different races but no factions.  In DF:UW all races will be welcome in all other races' NPC cities.

DF:UW is not a battleground or arena based game.  It is an open world PvP based MMO where you can kill or be killed by anyone at any time.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by indef
    Will the PvP in the game be faction based like world of warcraft, horde vs. alliance, or 3 factions etc.?  Or, are there no factions and the pvp is kinda like Age of Conan, you can attack anyone whenever. 

You can attack and kill anyone anywhere anytime.  There are 6 different races but no factions.  In DF:UW all races will be welcome in all other races' NPC cities.

DF:UW is not a battleground or arena based game.  It is an open world PvP based MMO where you can kill or be killed by anyone at any time.

except in the safe zones : )

Originally posted by HealthyGamer

What can we expect the from the economy and crafting in UW?  Will there be an auction house?  Big changes in crafting?  What about gathering resources?

I played DF when it first released and it was just a bit too hardcore for me.  Not being able to go AFK ever unless you banked etc.  I wouldn't mind giving it another shot but I'm not a very uber first-person-shooter type player.  The top players always had shit macroed etc.  Will UW appeal a bit more to the casual player without pissing off the niche hardcore PvP playerbase that the original attracted?

Very good questions.  The crafting in DF:UW will be similar to the original in that everyone has the capability to be a master crafter in everything.  This doesn't mean everyone will be a master crafter...but the option is there.  Resource gathering from an individual standpoint seems to be identical to the first game.  However from a group standpoint resource gathering has changed drastically.  There will now be large clan resource nodes that are fought over by the cities that surround them.  No longer do cities have mines, quarries, groves, farms, etc...these nodes are fought over and controlled by the winning city.

There will be a market system.  This differs from an auction house in that there is no bidding.  Other than that there aren't many details as the market will not be available at launch.  Tasos (CEO of Aventurine) stated in the interview yesterday that the markets are actually in the game and we will see them, they just don't have the UI complete for it yet so they won't be functioning.  Finishing this is one of their top post launch priorities.

I'm glad you brought up the question about UW appealing to the casual player.  While DF:UW is still not a game that is for everybody, the game will be drastically more new player, causal, and user friendly.  They've added 100% pvp free safe zones where you cannot be touched by another player.  These will consist of very small starter areas that will naturally turn into major trade hubs.  AV learned a lot about the grinding from the original game and they have completely removed it from DF:UW with the class/role system.  No longer will there be "maxxed vets" that you can't compete with.  Simply level up one build which will most likely take 2-4 weeks of normal play (not just grinding away on mobs or AFK macroing).  I predict at the start of the game people will be constantly switching between roles and classes to find what they like.

Feel free to ask me about any other concerns you might have as someone who was a bit too overwhelmed to stick with DF1.  

Originally posted by engellen

1. how was the naval combat and have your heard anything about it in UW?

2. once you build a castle/city or what have you, can someone be destroying it while you are say, at work?

Honestly, the naval combat in Darkfall was pretty boring.  It had the potential of being really great but it was implemented poorly.  AV recognizes that and they aren't implementing naval warfare just yet in DF:UW.  At launch there will be (I believe) 2 or 3 small boats and only one of those has 1 cannon.  

They've stated that they know they kinda blew it with naval combat and will focus on it later down the line with the new game and do it right.

As for your second question, the answer is yes and no.  While you are away people can and will attack your city...however they cannot actually take possesion of it.  In order to take possesion of your city they must siege it from you, in which you are given 22 hours to prepare for the siege before it starts.  The siege mechanics of Darkfall are actually quite complex and as a new player I wouldn't worry about that stuff at all until you are familiar with the game.   However I absolutely reccomend joining a clan led my experienced DF1 players so you can still partake in sieges when they happen...they are what Darkfall is all about.

Originally posted by Raxeon

except in the safe zones : )

touche :p.

For anyone who is unaware...there will be small PvP free safezones in the starter areas of the game.  This is to help improve the new player experience as well as create centralized trading hubs.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    lots of half-true information here
    Originally posted by Niburu
    lots of half-true information here

Please feel free to contribute to the discussion with anything you believe to not be true.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Im also an darkfall vet and indef seems to have very accurate answers to me.

forgot or didn't mention that the crafting system is going to be very different in UW, like materials determining rank etc.

My blog: image

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    " .....Tasos (CEO of Aventurine) ......"

Tasos isn't CEO ..he is Associative Producer ...

But he takes over multple jobs like he like to say one of it is propaganda chief  think irak information minister / bagdad bob ...

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• VictorRedVictorRed Member Posts: 26

How bad do you think the zerging will be?

And I am a newbie so how hard will it get into a good guild to start?

And do you know any?

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by VictorRed

How bad do you think the zerging will be?

And I am a newbie so how hard will it get into a good guild to start?

And do you know any?

ill help a bit.. good thread.. ( darkfall vet myself)

The tems is in every game.. Altho every player look @ this a different way.. It depends on the clan itself what goals he/she makes for it clan.

There are clan that focus on mass recruiting and there are clans that focus on small scall.. and try to beat the biggers group with less people..

As for your newbie question.. there are serveral clans that take noobs.. beside my point of view is that we are all noobs with this new unholy  wars.

Clan: are on the darkfall forum.. and tbh you will have  no problem to find  decent one

Originally posted by DMKano

How does aventurine handle hacking - hardcore PvP games are a magnet for players who will exploit every weakness that the game has. Case in point Shadowbane - the hacks in that game were what drove me from away from it (teleporting hacks, 100% proc on dw daggers, etc....) it was downright disgusting.

how vulnerable is the game to hacking?

When darkfall launched there were many players that enjoyed hacking and exploiting the game.. altho AV managed to get rid of most of them there are still ways to do it..

But...

If you play game like us normal players do.. the people who hack can be counted with your fingers and are not really noticable when playing darkfall the normal way..

Also if a hacker is spotted by another player this account will be perma banned.. (logical ofcourse)

tbh don''t worry to much about these kinda stuff.. you prolly won't encounter them

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by hupa
    Didn't Tasos say in the interview that it's unfair that people compare DF to the new version because they're different games?

Yes he did.  I'm not trying to compare the two games, I'm offering to answer any questions people have about the new game or the old game.  There are many features of the old game that will be in the new one.

how much timke have you spent playing in DFUW beta that you can claim to be a vet in it? if not how can you truely answer our questions with any degree of honesty?

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

If I dont like getting ganked and dry looted and sent back to a binding post on the other side of the game world after farming mobs for 2 hours losing basically two hours of my life and some really hard work will I still like DF?

If I dont like getting ganked and dry looted when I have 5% heatlh left after fighting and just killig a super hard mob will I still like DF?

If I dont like having to mount and dismount 50 feet out of town for fear someone will jump on my mount the minute I spawn or dismount regardless of whether they care about being flagged or not, will I still like DF?

If i dont like setting up a trade with someone then being setup mself ganked and dry looted of everything I wanted to trade, will I still like DF?

Because this stuff happens all day non-stop in DF.  But its being sold as a game that has somwthing for "everyone".

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden
    " .....Tasos (CEO of Aventurine) ......"

Tasos isn't CEO ..he is Associative Producer ...

But he takes over multple jobs like he like to say one of it is propaganda chief  think irak information minister / bagdad bob ...

So true. +1

• GoozinGoozin Member UncommonPosts: 60
    How many licks does it take to get the center of a tootise pop?

"Outside the dream world, life can be harsh--even cruel, but it is life"

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

For some time now I have been getting interested in this game but I want to know more about it. Specially the PVE part.

Will there be significant PvE to the game or will it just be a placeholder for the PvP?

Will there be restrictions in place to prevent players from just being a master of every combat ability? Like mastering all mages, warrior, etc skills?

Originally posted by snapfusion

If I dont like getting ganked and dry looted and sent back to a binding post on the other side of the game world after farming mobs for 2 hours losing basically two hours of my life and some really hard work will I still like DF?

If I dont like getting ganked and dry looted when I have 5% heatlh left after fighting and just killig a super hard mob will I still like DF?

If I dont like having to mount and dismount 50 feet out of town for fear someone will jump on my mount the minute I spawn or dismount regardless of whether they care about being flagged or not, will I still like DF?

If i dont like setting up a trade with someone then being setup mself ganked and dry looted of everything I wanted to trade, will I still like DF?

Because this stuff happens all day non-stop in DF.  But its being sold as a game that has somwthing for "everyone".

i don''t think these questions .. are they?

But yes its a full loot game..basicly sums up your  wall of text..

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Snoepie

Because this stuff happens all day non-stop in DF. But its being sold as a game that has somwthing for "everyone".

i don''t think these questions .. are they?

But yes its a full loot game..basicly sums up your wall of text..

They all end in question marks.

edit: And Id say its more like a retaining wall.

Originally posted by Flex1

For some time now I have been getting interested in this game but I want to know more about it. Specially the PVE part.

Will there be significant PvE to the game or will it just be a placeholder for the PvP?

Will there be restrictions in place to prevent players from just being a master of every combat ability? Like mastering all mages, warrior, etc skills?

there is lost of pve ingame.. and it actually takes some skil aswell to kill some..

The only thing is.. that can you be killed with your loot on you.. which makes the pve a thrill..

In darkfall 1.0 everyone good do anything @ the same time..

In darkfall unholy wars.. this will be different there are rolls and not everyone can take all the roles @ the same time.. you can swtich tho.. but not every spells or ability will be accessable @ the same time

Originally posted by Goozin
    How many licks does it take to get the center of a tootise pop?

The non-instanced world of darkfall is big.. very big .. :P

ok sorry..

Well if you complain about getting killed and lose your stuff.. this ain''t the game for you..

its full loot..

game is also PVP based..

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Snoepie

ok sorry..

Well if you complain about getting killed and lose your stuff.. this ain''t the game for you..

its full loot..

game is also PVP based..

I completely disagree.   I get po'd every time I get killed.  I hate losing stuff.  I still love the game.  Once you realise that you can replace things easily and that your gear isn't level based etc. It is a lot easier.  I would hate to drive someone away because they think they are going to lose the equivilent of a purple item everytime they die.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!