Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To all the raiders...

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Do u feel accomplishment killing a boss that other guilds already killed it on heroic?

Do u feel accomplishment being the most valued, top player in your overall mediocre guild at best?

Do u feel accomplishment getting a mount, loot or w/e just to know you'll be replacing it next 3-6 months?

Do u feel accomplishment being in a top guild that raids 4-5 days for 3:30-4 hours per?

Do u feel accomplishment doing your best, while yet only making 10% difference in a 10 man environment?

Do u feel accomplishment going through same content, bosses multiple times every week?

Do u feel accomplishment being forced to socialize with "the average joes" cuz average joes is whats best avaliable on your server?

Do u feel accomplishment leading or being officer of a guild, with tons more responsibilities disallowing you to do other more useful or entertaining things with your time?

Do u feel accomplishment learning many new mechanics on every new boss? It remainds me of doing my high school homework.

Do u feel accomplishment carrying your guild?

I'm a WOW player, but I'm not a raider. I play the game only for arena and gladiator. At least in a 3v3 match I know I make 33% difference, which is quite significant. I also depend far less on others and I just keep wondering myself how awesome WOW would be if they just focused their resources far more on PvP than all these dungeons and raids. I know I get ripped off hard for paying $15 monthly and $40 on expansions just for that, but then again it's best competitive PvP at the moment in a MMORPG.

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    You're really not a MMO player. If you want competitive e-sports, then go and play Quake Live 1v1, Counter-Strike, or Call of Duty. Competition Area MMO is and will always be a complete joke.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Yes to all the questions, even the loaded ones that clearly are only there to inflame.

I'm guessing you don't raid, and never have, tried recently and failed at it?

Something along those lines.

Yes, it is an acomplishment to do something that requires team work and effort and co-ordination.  If you weren't the first it IS still worth doing, why bother sky diving if you aren't sky diving for the record?  Oh wait, cus its fun?  Yeah, thats why.

Sounds like some OP is jaded.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    For the love of god people, you is only two letters from u.  If you are going to be that lazy writing your post out people arent going to be bothered to read it or take you seriously.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by mmoDAD
    You're really not a MMO player. If you want competitive e-sports, then go and play Quake Live 1v1, Counter-Strike, or Call of Duty. Competition Area MMO is and will always be a complete joke.

There really is no one that cares about competitive MMO PVP.  FPS, MOBA and RTS (in Korea) PVP gets a lot more respect.

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Landfall is quite badass, and I'd say one of the best WoW patches I have played. It's simple and effective. I'm having a blast doing the PvP dailies, and attacking the keeps :o. Curious as to what they have planned next once the campaign digs deeper into pandaria....

Oh simple answer: yes downing a boss (raid boss) usually is exciting, maybe not LFR and some normal fights, but they all pose there different challanges. I personally would love to see a return to BC raid difficulty, where it took months to finnally complete a raid with a competant guild.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I'lll tell you what I think has been my best achievement as a raider, and I hope you'll understand why. And, mind this, this comes from somebody who has scored a few first world kills.

Yet, those first world kills are not my best achievement.

My best achievement was joining a guild that wanted to raid but was just a bunch of disorganized players with close to no raiding experience. A very casual guild actually. With time, patience, lots of explanations and plenty of good attitude, I managed to turn that guild into a successfully raiding guild that laughed when wiping and cheered when downing the boss. A guild were people knew their roles, played as a team, and cared more about the achievement than about the loot. And, know what? It kept beeing a casual and very friendly guild, even with most of the raid bosses on farm.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    One has to wonder, for someone who takes his PVP so seriously as a self-worth measuring yardstick, why he does it with (of all games) WoW?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    For the love of god people, you is only two letters from u.  If you are going to be that lazy writing your post out people arent going to be bothered to read it or take you seriously.

I won't read posts that use "u" for "you" or "wut" for what. So I hear what you're saying and I agree wholeheartedly.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

And this is why PvEers hate us.....

Way to add fuel to the fire

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    One has to wonder, for someone who takes his PVP so seriously as a self-worth measuring yardstick, why he does it with (of all games) WoW?

Probably because rated arenas, bgs, and constant balancing. It's really the only "e-sport" pvp MMO.

• HarutoHaruto Member Posts: 175
    Raiding is really most of the point in playing an MMO. You level up, get up your gear and do what you need to, but once you get into the upper levels it's all about at getting into some raiding. Sure a bit of PvP is a fun distraction now and then, but thats always better suited to your shooter of choice. That or an actual strategy based game, not in an MMO.

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
    Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

• Ezraiel92Ezraiel92 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    If I only pvped, I would probaby quit wow, and go play something like League of Legends. So I wouldn't waste my 15 dollars each month.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

@mmoDAD

I've been already among the top in the FPS field. From Half Life, Unreal Tournament to Counter Strike. I consider myself the god of Half Life and I've won 3rd place in Unreal Tournament national championship with over 7000+ participants. I also didn't have PC back then, just played at the net cafe...

I was also ranked 4th overall in Star Craft east when I came to Canada 2001-2003. I was in the top 10 for a while. I lost interest in these FPS, RTS games when virtual worlds came, aka MMORPG's. There was far more enjoyment being involved in faction warfare, politics, trading and striving for influence and power. There were persistant conflicts, drama and epic battles which I still treasure in my memories.

I remember how I felt when I saw my radar swarming with red dots of bounty hunters, coverts and what not, entire fleet coming after me for a big bounty reward while I was doing a mission on an isolated planet.

I remember when I had epic duel in front of multiple guilds with the other top jedi on server. I remember when I was leading assault on the Empire with some friends at one night. There are many other epic moments not just in SWG, but UO as well. I will never ever touch a FPS, MOBA, RTS as long as MMORPG's exist.

Laughing-man

I would sky dive cuz I don't sky dive 3 times every week for 3+ hours. I would sky dive cuz I rarely do it, to have some variety in my life and that was terrible comparison by the way. U're guessed wrong, in fact I raided from last November to June straight without missing a single raid night. I raided in BC and WOTLK as well. Raiding in WOW has never been more meaningless and pointless than ever, which is why there is absolutely no point in spending time on it, beside the social aspect, but then again I socialize in arena and if I wanted to socialize more I would just go on skype, facebook etc and actually socialize with people I choose to.

strangiato2112

People made up and invented the words and language. The English language today is far from perfect, but there is absolutely no sense why would someone type 3 letters to write a word that can be written with just 1.

• Darklotus79Darklotus79 Member Posts: 61
    Well I kinda have to agree with the op..WoW has probably the best pvp for a mmorpg. Although its just my opinion. Yes pvp is fun and put forth quite a challenge , but nothing like a good raid. Raiding is by far more self satisfying because It can be really difficult.  Black Temple and Karazhan were truly a memorible experience Ill never forget.
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Kopogero

@mmoDAD

I've been already among the top in the FPS field. From Half Life, Unreal Tournament to Counter Strike. I consider myself the god of Half Life and I've won 3rd place in Unreal Tournament national championship with over 7000+ participants. I also didn't have PC back then, just played at the net cafe...

I was also ranked 4th overall in Star Craft east when I came to Canada 2001-2003. I was in the top 10 for a while. I lost interest in these FPS, RTS games when virtual worlds came, aka MMORPG's. There was far more enjoyment being involved in faction warfare, politics, trading and striving for influence and power. There were persistant conflicts, drama and epic battles which I still treasure in my memories.

I remember how I felt when I saw my radar swarming with red dots of bounty hunters, coverts and what not, entire fleet coming after me for a big bounty reward while I was doing a mission on an isolated planet.

I remember when I had epic duel in front of multiple guilds with the other top jedi on server. I remember when I was leading assault on the Empire with some friends at one night. There are many other epic moments not just in SWG, but UO as well. I will never ever touch a FPS, MOBA, RTS as long as MMORPG's exist.

Laughing-man

I would sky dive cuz I don't sky dive 3 times every week for 3+ hours. I would sky dive cuz I rarely do it, to have some variety in my life and that was terrible comparison by the way. U're guessed wrong, in fact I raided from last November to June straight without missing a single raid night. I raided in BC and WOTLK as well. Raiding in WOW has never been more meaningless and pointless than ever, which is why there is absolutely no point in spending time on it, beside the social aspect, but then again I socialize in arena and if I wanted to socialize more I would just go on skype, facebook etc and actually socialize with people I choose to.

strangiato2112

People made up and invented the words and language. The English language today is far from perfect, but there is absolutely no sense why would someone type 3 letters to write a word that can be written with just 1.

You made your point about why you PVP in MMOs and why you like it so much. Fair enough.

However, you still fail to understand the thrill of achieving something as a team. You wrote "I" tons of times. You never wrote "we". That "we" is why most of us raid. Becouse working as a team and succeeding is, for most of us, way more awesome than doing so alone. And often more demanding too.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Kopogero

Laughing-man

I am saddened by the way you "spell" and the grammar you choose to avoid...

You clearly know why people raid, and you at one point enjoyed it.  Sorry you are burnt out.  No need to be nasty and write pointed posts with baited lines in them to intentionally antantonize people.. As that is clearly what your OP was.

If you are trying to say raiding now is worse than before, well that's your opinion, one that is not shared by very many people.  EVERYONE I've EVER known on WoW is playing again.  EVERYONE.  My friends list is 70 people long.  So enjoy being in the bitter minority. 

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

It's not hard to see OP's opinion on raiding when reading between the lines (sarcasm).

I like raiding. I like working together with a group to take down a raid, even if we're not the first to do so. I like coordinating with others and setting it up, it gives the event more meaning if only artificially.

Why? Because it's fun. 

Not all games that have raiding make gear obsolete every few months. And yes, I like contributing 10% of the entire picture - your team has to contribute their all too for the best results. That's why I play MMO's - to play with a large amount of people in a game that you can't get in another genre. 

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Heafstagg
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

I won't read posts that use "u" for "you" or "wut" for what. So I hear what you're saying and I agree wholeheartedly.

Exactly.  "U" is not a word.  "U" is a way to make yourself look like an idiot.

I don't read things by idiots.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Yes to all the questions, even the loaded ones that clearly are only there to inflame.

I'm guessing you don't raid, and never have, tried recently and failed at it?

Something along those lines.

Yes, it is an acomplishment to do something that requires team work and effort and co-ordination.  If you weren't the first it IS still worth doing, why bother sky diving if you aren't sky diving for the record?  Oh wait, cus its fun?  Yeah, thats why.

Sounds like some OP is jaded.

Have to agree, raiding do have some problems though and I dont play it at the time but my greatest problem for the last few years is that it takes so much time to do it well. I just cant book that much time to be in a full raid guild and PUGing raids is no fun.

Other problems is standing and waiting for slow players and the fact that you often have to do the same raid more times than it is fun, doing the same raid over and over usually stop being hard pretty soon.

I do think raids can and should become better, for one thing I would love to see scaling raids with 10-40 players, and bosses with random skills to make things more unpredictable.

But the bad part is really the time investment you need at set times, when you raid you need to do them on a regular basis and the time I play is rather unregular now. Being forced to play 3 times a week 4 hours each is fine for people with time for it, but it gets harder the older you get.

Raids can be a great fun and should be a part of most MMOs but it shouldnt be the only endgame, there are other good parts including some more sandboxed endgame types and the more types of endgames a MMO have the better for us players.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

This guy has no idea what MMO PvP is all about, or MMO's in general. Its a we activity not a me activity. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

As an avid gathcraftsplorer I think both of your communities are funny. Trying to show off the biggest epeen in any game is the funniest passtime I've seen in any community online and it definitely happens in both.

It's fun just being in the game doing open world stuff (if designed properly) but most games seem to be this dungeon only lobby style thing and that's boring.

Unfortunately it really hasn't changed with WoW because even with their version of LOTRO's skirmishes it's still a dungeon that you have to lfg for.

This discussion has been closed.