Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could travel back in time and tell the Pre-GW2-Beta "You" something about GW2, what would you

123457»

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

"just remember, a disgruntled customer with 500 Facebook friends is like a loaded gun"

Not sure if I want to laugh or just /facepalm on that gem...

You really believe they refunded you because of that terrible threat? Please, tell me you don't believe that.

A bit off-topic, but...

I know facts are not your strong suit Korrigan, since you seem to think you know everything, but here are a few "fun facts" from MY playbook:

74% of consumers rely on social networks to guide purchase decisions. (Gartner, July 2011)

90% of consumers trust peer recommendations. Only 14% trust advertisements. (Gartner, 2011)

80% of people have changed a purchase decision due to a bad review they saw. (Cone Communications, Survey 2011)

The average consumer today checks 10.4 information sources before buying. (Bazaarvoice, June 2012)

51% of consumers said they would never buy an online product without reading at least one piece of user-generated content. (Kelton Market Research, September 2011)

When asked what sources "influence your decision to use or not use a particular company, brand or product" 71% claim reviews from family members or friends exert a "great deal" or "fair amount" of influence. (Harris Interactive, June 2011)

Consumer reviews are significantly more trusted -- nearly 12 times more -- than descriptions that come from manufacturers. (eMarketer, February 2011)

Consumers generated more than 500 billion impressions (good and bad) about products and services, through social media in 2011. (Forrester Research Inc., June 2011)

The number of marketers who say Facebook is "critical" or "important" to their business has increased 83% in just 2 years. (Hubspot, 2011)

81% of all Facebook users say they have posted information about a bad customer experience at least once. (Gartner, 2012)

Why do I know this? Because I am in the business of improving customer satisfaction for (primarily) software companies. I talk with corporations every day who are worried that social media "word of mouth" will ruin their business. And they should be worried. Here's another "fun fact":

In 10 years, over 40% of current Fortune 500 companies will not exist.

That's reason enough to be worried.

So when you ask me if I believe that type of statement actually works? You bet I do. I see it work every day and unless ANet is gloriously unaware of the effect social media has on their business, they see it too.

Well done.  Well done.

• MisalignedMisaligned Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Self, this game is well worth the purchase price and you'll get about 250 hours out of it. About 3 months after release, AN will do a 180 on their manifesto and make the end-game about gear progression. You will conclude that most of your enjoyment of MMORPGs is derived from the shared experiences of playing them with friends, and as most of your friends have moved-on from the genre, your interest in MMORPGs will rapidly wane. 
  • NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

I would tell myself:

Don't play any of the beta weekends, its gonna make you hate repeating the starter areas so much.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Questions such as this are probably meaningless to a person who knows what he wants, knows what a game offers, and has foresight.

all pretty much opposite qualities of most of the more vocal posters here.

they endlessly torture themselves with facile prejudice, statospheric self-hype (some of which is negative hype), and endless obsessive compulsive hate speeches before AND after the dust has settled. 

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• TolmosTolmos Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by corpusc
    Questions such as this are probably meaningless to a person who knows what he wants, knows what a game offers, and has foresight.

they endlessly torture themselves with facile prejudice, statospheric self-hype (some of which is negative hype), and endless obsessive compulsive hate speeches before AND after the dust has settled. 

While I don't necessarily disagree with the point you are trying to make, I am floored by how you made it. I cannot express how silly and completely out of place those underlined bits sound. Don't use big words unless you understand their proper context.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Don't buy the game, you would play it for a while the your account will be hack, and Anet CS is non existence.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    I would tell myself "Enjoy the first few weeks and your leveling experience because that's all the game has to offer.  Don't expect it to give ANY form of longevity the way an MMORPG should."
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Tolmos
    Originally posted by corpusc

While I don't necessarily disagree with the point you are trying to make, I am floored by how you made it. I cannot express how silly and completely out of place those underlined bits sound. Don't use big words unless you understand their proper context.

sorry, i made a typo.  its STRATOSPHERIC.  related to the stratosphere.  when looking it up on google, it should be pretty obvious its a typo, and what the right spelling is.

if you think those are big words you must be pretty young or illiterate.

oh, you also think they are out of context?

i guess that answers it (altho you still could be pretty young too).

go ahead and make a case for how they don't fit the context, since you think you have a much better understanding of the terms.

Corpus Callosum    

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    i'd tell myself not to read all the crybaby posts on mmorpg.com about gw2

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I would tell myself don't buy into it. Its fun at the beginning, but it has no substance.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Buy gems, lots and lots of gems. (With gold) Oh yeah, and buy the CE.
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    I would tell myself, that "though you are very excited about this game and it's WvWvW aspects, there will come a game-breaking exploit from the thief class, that ANet has no plans to fix...do not waste your money."
  • AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262
    "DO NOT BUY IT."
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    They will add item grind, unlike promised.