Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Long Time Darkfall Vet, Ask me anything.

indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

I made a similar thread back when Darkfall Unholy Wars was first announced a few months ago.

I welcome anyone unfamiliar with Darkfall to ask anything regarding the old or new game and I will answer to the best of my ability.

A little warning, I'm very excited about the new game and my excitement can lead to some lengthy responses.

Comments

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663
    How much time per day did you put into DF when you were grinding up skills?
  • tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by indef

I made a similar thread back when Darkfall Unholy Wars was first announced a few months ago.

I welcome anyone unfamiliar with Darkfall to ask anything regarding the old or new game and I will answer to the best of my ability.

A little warning, I'm very excited about the new game and my excitement can lead to some lengthy responses.

How good is the PVE???

JUST KIDDING!!!   image

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Didn't Tasos say in the interview that it's unfair that people compare DF to the new version because they're different games?
  • indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by Inktomi
    How much time per day did you put into DF when you were grinding up skills?
    This is a time relevant question.  About 3 years ago, it was typical to either AFK macro or grind up spells for 10+ hours a day.  However the grind in the game was drastically changed from how it was initially at release.  The first 4x skill gain weekend about a year ago basically made it possible to have a 100% maxxed character in a month without grinding at all.  Just play the game and you'd have a maxxed character.
    When the servers shut down a couple weeks ago you could easily max out a brand new toon in a week tops.
    I would expect in DF:UW for it to take anywhere from 1-3 weeks to max out a specific role, thus making you PvP viable!

Originally posted by hupa
    Didn't Tasos say in the interview that it's unfair that people compare DF to the new version because they're different games?

Yes he did.  I'm not trying to compare the two games, I'm offering to answer any questions people have about the new game or the old game.  There are many features of the old game that will be in the new one.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    in UW will everyone be able to use all types of magic?  or will i have to constantly switch roles?  can i be a baesark/skirmisher and still shoot fireballs?  without having to switch to a mage fire role?
    Originally posted by muffins89
    in UW will everyone be able to use all types of magic?  or will i have to constantly switch roles?  can i be a baesark/skirmisher and still shoot fireballs?  without having to switch to a mage fire role?

Yes, everyone will be able to use everything.  However, where Unholy Wars differentiates from the original is you cannot use all things at once.  You choose a class (either warrior, elementalist, or skirmisher) and choose 2 roles from that class.  You can swap between roles and classes at any time, but currently there appears to be about a 30 minute cooldown on doing so.

You cann't be a skirmisher that shoots fireballs, that will be specific to only elementalists.  The skirmisher role is built around a combination of archery and melee.  The warrior role will focus on melee.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Yes, everyone will be able to use everything.  However, where Unholy Wars differentiates from the original is you cannot use all things at once.  You choose a class (either warrior, elementalist, or skirmisher) and choose 2 roles from that class.  You can swap between roles and classes at any time, but currently there appears to be about a 30 minute cooldown on doing so.

You cann't be a skirmisher that shoots fireballs, that will be specific to only elementalists.  The skirmisher role is built around a combination of archery and melee.

the original DF seemed to have more of a do anything skill system.  and i was hoping more for that.  but,  thanks for response.

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    When watching previous videos of just combat gameplay, it looks very clunky and unfinished.  What is your take on combat and being that I love killing things and combat is my main stay in games, do you think it will keep my interest for a while or is combat not really a big thing with Darkfall?
  • LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223

Do you believe the melee combat in DF 2 will be similair to DF1?

I remember in DF 1 the greatest skill was to perform a figure eight while melee attacking, so you were only there at the end of your attack and no longer. This made for some pretty lame looking fights. I was just wondering if you knew if they were going to make combat look....cooler? more realistic?

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Agrias34
    When watching previous videos of just combat gameplay, it looks very clunky and unfinished.  What is your take on combat and being that I love killing things and combat is my main stay in games, do you think it will keep my interest for a while or is combat not really a big thing with Darkfall?

I found the range combat to be enjoyable.  Archery was probably a bit more fun, since the arrows had arc.   Melee was a joke and still looks to be the same.  However, I was looking for a more tactical approach and not the circle jerk CS knife fight kind.

I think it is important for people that look to play this game to understand that Taco and co.  have created a fast paced arena style game. 

One big gripe of mine looking more into this game is the drop loot when you die.  Are items hard to get and valuable that you will really lose a lot of investment when you die because others will loot all your items from your corpse?  Or, are things not so important and the whole ideal of loot dropping isn't that big a deal in the end?

Care to expand any other information on this because overall I'm thinking of trying out this new rework of the game, but this is probably the last thing really holding me back is losing your stuff.

You cann't be a skirmisher that shoots fireballs, that will be specific to only elementalists.  The skirmisher role is built around a combination of archery and melee.

the original DF seemed to have more of a do anything skill system.  and i was hoping more for that.  but,  thanks for response.

Yea the original DF skill system was designed so that everyone could be everything all at once.  Trust me, in the long run this is NOT the way to go.  It also is why the game started off so grind heavy.

Are you referring to videos of the new or old game?

I'll admit, the animations and stuff in Darkfall have never been great and the animations/sounds in the new game seem to be placeholders...but the combat in Darkfall is the most addicting part of the game.  The combat in DF:UW will be the main staple of the game...being heavily focused on group play and large scale combat.  The only reason some of the community stuck with the game for so long is because once you get used to Darkfall combat and the risk vs. reward that is associated with it, you can't play anything else and be entertained.  Nothing else matches it.

Originally posted by LadyEuphei

I remember in DF 1 the greatest skill was to perform a figure eight while melee attacking, so you were only there at the end of your attack and no longer. This made for some pretty lame looking fights. I was just wondering if you knew if they were going to make combat look....cooler? more realistic?

The figure 8'ing stuff really only was popular towards the beginning of DF1.  The melee combat in DF2 will 100% be nothing like this.  The skirmisher and warrior both have skills for bringing their targets into melee range as well as escaping it.  DF2 is going to be much more sophisticated as far as melee combat goes.  As for more realistic and cooler...that's kinda up for you to decide.  Check out the recent videos linked on these forums, the darkfall forums, or the steam forums and you can take a look at the melee and see what you think.  

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Yea the original DF skill system was designed so that everyone could be everything all at once.  Trust me, in the long run this is NOT the way to go.  It also is why the game started off so grind heavy.

I think he was looking forward to a system that would support mixing and matching skills.   TBH,  I really had hoped they would go for a similar system that just limited the amount of skills that a player could "equip".    This would have served the exact same purpose that their current role system serves, and would be easy to add incentives or penaltys for taking combinations of skills. 

One big gripe of mine looking more into this game is the drop loot when you die.  Are items hard to get and valuable that you will really lose a lot of investment when you die because others will loot all your items from your corpse?  Or, are things not so important and the whole ideal of loot dropping isn't that big a deal in the end?

Care to expand any other information on this because overall I'm thinking of trying out this new rework of the game, but this is probably the last thing really holding me back is losing your stuff.

You have touched upon the very aspect of Darkfall that makes it a niche game.  Not everyone is going to be ok with losing everything on their person when they are killed.

There are several ways to approach the full loot aspect of the game, let me describe it to you from several perspectives.

From my own perspective, I was a more "hardcore" pvp'er that always rolled in small groups or solo.  In Darkfall, part of running in small groups or solo is that you are going to die...a lot.  It takes time to get accustomed to losing everything in your backpack every time you die, but you do get used to it.  When you roam solo it helps to wear good gear and I personally became accustomed to losing large quantities of infernal, the second highest tier of armor.

That being said...there were many many items in DF1 that were extremely easy to make and cost basically nothing.  One of my good friends in game spent almost all of his time in the game roaming around in a full bone set, with a racial ork staff, and a rank 50 sword.  I know those words mean nothing to you, but take my word for it that all those items were dirt cheap.  Any player could basically have all those things available to them in infinite supply.  And my friend was easily in the top 20 PvP'ers because he was just good enough to beat people even wearing shitty gear.

Another perspective is that of players who played in the much larger clans.  When you are in a much larger clan, gear is more readily available because people will help you out...and you die a lot less often.  All of the richest players in the game were part of large groups of lesser skilled players, but rarely lost fights due to sheer numbers.  This allowed them to hoard gear for the entire span of the game to the point where even the best armor and weapons in the game were meaningless.

tldr;  There are many different ways to approach the full loot aspect of the game.  You can learn to not care about the items you've worked to get or earned, you can consistently wear cheap gear that is easy to come by, you can play with larger groups of people where losing your gear is much less likely, you can practice practice practice and get good at the game so then you aren't the one being looted but the one doing the looting.  But at the end of the day...there is nothing that compares to the risk vs. reward aspect of Darkfall and I strongly urge you to give it a try.

Originally posted by thinktank001

I think he was looking forward to a system that would support mixing and matching skills.   TBH,  I really had hoped they would go for a similar system that just limited the amount of skills that a player could "equip".    This would have served the exact same purpose that their current role system serves, and would be easy to add incentives or penaltys for taking combinations of skills. 

Oh ok you mean more like the TSW system.  I agree, that would have been much cooler...but far more difficult of a dev team of 50 people to manage.  They are already having a hard time balancing the 24 builds that exist so far... it would be just too much if there were hundreds.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
    Originally posted by f0dell54
    How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Enough to make 11 building mods.

• AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236

Are you referring to videos of the new or old game?

I'll admit, the animations and stuff in Darkfall have never been great and the animations/sounds in the new game seem to be placeholders...but the combat in Darkfall is the most addicting part of the game.  The combat in DF:UW will be the main staple of the game...being heavily focused on group play and large scale combat.  The only reason some of the community stuck with the game for so long is because once you get used to Darkfall combat and the risk vs. reward that is associated with it, you can't play anything else and be entertained.  Nothing else matches it.

Completely agree - combat in Darkfall is top notch. It's so engaging that I can no longer play other video games. Don't make a judgement based on the videos that have been released; play it yourself and experience the wonder!

A poster above mentioned that melee was nothing but people running figure 8 patterns; that was generally true for the first year or year and a half when no one knew any better. People eventually realized that there were significantly better methods, methods that heavily rely on a persons reflexes and awareness of what their opponenet is going to do. Even by the end of Darkfall 1.0, relatively few people mastered melee combat.

One thing that really set the original Darkfall apart from practically any game (in any genre) that I've played, was the evolution of combat. The methods that people used to fight slowly changed and evolved over the course of the game's life. In part, this was due to the developers tweaking certain game mechanics, but it was also due to the deep nature of the combat system, and the length of time it took for players to discover what worked best. Hopefully a similar kind of evolution happens in Unholy Wars.

Will the PvP in the game be faction based like world of warcraft, horde vs. alliance, or 3 factions etc.?  Or, are there no factions and the pvp is kinda like Age of Conan, you can attack anyone whenever. 
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei

do you think traditional MMO combat looks cool?

where 2 foes stand still toe to toe trading blows every now and then?

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• HealthyGamerHealthyGamer Member Posts: 25

What can we expect the from the economy and crafting in UW?  Will there be an auction house?  Big changes in crafting?  What about gathering resources?

I played DF when it first released and it was just a bit too hardcore for me.  Not being able to go AFK ever unless you banked etc.  I wouldn't mind giving it another shot but I'm not a very uber first-person-shooter type player.  The top players always had shit macroed etc.  Will UW appeal a bit more to the casual player without pissing off the niche hardcore PvP playerbase that the original attracted?

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Will the PvP in the game be faction based like world of warcraft, horde vs. alliance, or 3 factions etc.?  Or, are there no factions and the pvp is kinda like Age of Conan, you can attack anyone whenever. 

no pre-made factions.   clan/guild based.

you can attack anyone everywhere (except starter cities)

Corpus Callosum