Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long...

How long do you expect this game to last for? Does it have a bright future or will it die in the next year?

Comments

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    It will last 7 more years or until it has two consecutive quarters where it does not reach the projected profit margin.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Since its the second largest Sub based MMO probably a very long time. Meridian is still alive so is EQ. I really don't understand how people think Swtor is going to die.  They aren't bleeding out subs anymore and are stable around 500k-750k subs.  They found a base that likes this game.

just because its not the game you wanted it to be doesn't mean it should die. Thats a VERY childlike mindset.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• kulhatkulhat Member Posts: 36

It can run for years, especialy if they start developing something meaningfull.

- but for me it's already dead and burried..... Next ! :)

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Xirik

Since its the second largest Sub based MMO probably a very long time. Meridian is still alive so is EQ. I really don't understand how people think Swtor is going to die.  They aren't bleeding out subs anymore and are stable around 500k-750k subs.  They found a base that likes this game.

just because its not the game you wanted it to be doesn't mean it should die. Thats a VERY childlike mindset.

EA announced in August that the subs were above 500k. That was before their 6 month subs ran out, GW2 came out, and their second round of server mergers. In their latest  quarter earnings confrence call they declind to comment on how many subs SWTOR had.

The game did seem to stabalize in October, but if you were tempted to quantify it, I wouldn't state it as 700-500k subs. You could either say unknow, or more likely around 300k subs, which is ironically the population of SWG before the shenanigans.

Or you could just say what EA did, paraphrasing, "What does a subscription count matter for a game which no longer requires a subscription?" In other words, the name of the game is combined revenue from the subs and the cash shop.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I'm guessing it is going to last a bit longer...how long? Who knows.   EA wants to see a profit on this and probably needs to for their shareholders.  Judging from the increase in population F2P brought and general consensus in chat, I'd say things are going to start looking up for this one.

Of course, all my opinion of course.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    I'll just go with who cares. For the people that play and enjoy it though I hope it lasts as long as they'd like it too.
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Since its the second largest Sub based MMO 

hahahahah... wait....you serious?

EA got rid of 90% of the servers, TOR sub numbers are without a doubt below EVE and Rift, probably less than TSW which is pretty packed at the moment and growing due to CoH shutdown and because it's simply a great game.

Atm there is only one way for TOR and the signs point downwards. 12 month and no major improvements or additions, how is that supposed to work or keep people playing? Cartel pack gambling boxes?

Disney should cancel the contract with EA before they continue to damage the Star Wars IP and give Sony the deal to create SWG2 instead.

• Masonic1Masonic1 Member Posts: 41

being that subs are right now under 100k and the f2p has been a failure not much longer.

from what i've been told, ea has just given up on the game anyone at ea feels working on anything bioware or tor is a step away from getting a lay off/fired. i have been told ea is now just going to stick to facebook social games as tor has been one of the biggest flops in the history of gaming. and really it shouldn't be hard for them to shut it down, disney feels that tor is doing more harm to star wars then good. so that will help out in getting tortanic shut down.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

The deciding factor will be how many of the remaining subscribers decide that they can cancel their subs and still get the entertainment they're currently getting out of the game, for free.

Originally posted by Masonic1

being that subs are right now under 100k and the f2p has been a failure not much longer.

from what i've been told, ea has just given up on the game anyone at ea feels working on anything bioware or tor is a step away from getting a lay off/fired. i have been told ea is now just going to stick to facebook social games as tor has been one of the biggest flops in the history of gaming. and really it shouldn't be hard for them to shut it down, disney feels that tor is doing more harm to star wars then good. so that will help out in getting tortanic shut down.

and who told you that, if I may ask...?

Doesn't really sound like a surprise though. The game was doomed the moment they decided for the craptastic half finished Hero Engine version and cloning WoW mechanics.

Sad. And those plastic lifeless planets, there is no other option than ordering the Death Star for total annihilation.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by grimal

I'm guessing it is going to last a bit longer...how long? Who knows.   EA wants to see a profit on this and probably needs to for their shareholders.  Judging from the increase in population F2P brought and general consensus in chat, I'd say things are going to start looking up for this one.

I have to agree with this. It seems that inspite of all the crying about limited skill bars, characters, lower exp etc, that the game still picked up quite a number of F2P gamers. Not so sure they will pick up more subs, (I still sub), but it doesn't appear that it will die anytime soon, and I'm happy about that.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Emeraq

I have to agree with this. It seems that inspite of all the crying about limited skill bars, characters, lower exp etc, that the game still picked up quite a number of F2P gamers. Not so sure they will pick up more subs, (I still sub), but it doesn't appear that it will die anytime soon, and I'm happy about that.

That is true, however how many from these are paying customers?

Don't remember if it was Matthew Bromberg or Jeff Hickman, but one of them mentioned they were aiming at 3 millions players (including F2P).

Also unless they add lots of content fast, most players will leave once their first character is caped.

• Marius6870Marius6870 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Id hate to bust your bubbles for those of you wishing for the game to die, but I logged in the game a few times for the past few days, and all of the servers were Heavy and quite active. This game bled subs for a long time, but between optimizations, new content, and the cartel store plus Freemium, the game is doing fine and its future looks good.The game engine is more stable then it used to be, and the animations do not loop for me like they used to. Its gets quite annoying the number of people that are members of the hate club, and are not content till other people jump on the band wagon. Your free to hate the game -thats your opinion- but its immature to get on here and flame every forum you see with the title SWTOR. Move on and get a life please.
  • The_DhampirThe_Dhampir Member UncommonPosts: 62
    I signed into SWTOR about an hour ago and caught 2 people in guild chat. One said they had just subscribed, the other congratulated him for it...

Last time i signed in was right after it went F2P, which is when i got a random invite to this guild. A whole group of them were talking about how awesome SWTOR was. One said him and everyone he knew had subscribed and also bought $40 bundles because it was so awesome.

They really may enjoy the game that much. If it's true EA made about a grand from this small group. However, I'm starting to wonder if EA uses viral marketing inside the game too...

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

EA got rid of 90% of the servers, TOR sub numbers are without a doubt below EVE and Rift, probably less than TSW which is pretty packed at the moment and growing due to CoH shutdown and because it's simply a great game.

Atm there is only one way for TOR and the signs point downwards. 12 month and no major improvements or additions, how is that supposed to work or keep people playing? Cartel pack gambling boxes?

Disney should cancel the contract with EA before they continue to damage the Star Wars IP and give Sony the deal to create SWG2 instead.

Without a doubt huh?

Cite references please

Originally posted by Deewe
    Originally posted by Emeraq

That is true, however how many from these are paying customers?

Don't remember if it was Matthew Bromberg or Jeff Hickman, but one of them mentioned they were aiming at 3 millions players (including F2P).

Also unless they add lots of content fast, most players will leave once their first character is caped.

I didn't imply they picked up any subs, in fact I said that I'm not so sure they will pick up more subs.. If you are asking how many are paying, as in buying from the shop, I think they'll do just fine.. It seems there's enough talk about cartel items and I don't think it's just coming from subscribers using their free monthly shop points.

Originally posted by Marius6870
    I logged in the game a few times for the past few days, and all of the servers were Heavy and quite active. 

you mean all of the remaining 20-something servers are full after they merged the initial 250+ servers?

woah, great success, almost as good as SWG before shut down

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Id hate to bust your bubbles for those of you wishing for the game to die, but I logged in the game a few times for the past few days, and all of the servers were Heavy and quite active. This game bled subs for a long time, but between optimizations, new content, and the cartel store plus Freemium, the game is doing fine and its future looks good.The game engine is more stable then it used to be, and the animations do not loop for me like they used to. Its gets quite annoying the number of people that are members of the hate club, and are not content till other people jump on the band wagon. Your free to hate the game -thats your opinion- but its immature to get on here and flame every forum you see with the title SWTOR. Move on and get a life please.

u wish the game to be alive cuz u like it

they wish the game to die to have a chance to see a new desent Star Wars MMO

its all about what all of us like, who wins? for now the subers

next year? we dont know

enjoy now u can and how much u can

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

Yeah, let's give Sony another chance to make a terrible game. Good idea. Why not give the IP to someone who might actually make a good game?

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    I logged in the game a few times for the past few days, and all of the servers were Heavy and quite active. 

you mean all of the remaining 20-something servers are full after they merged the initial 250+ servers?

You can log into any of the NA servers since the merge, and you have 100-250 people in fleet at prime time and at least 30+ people on almost every planet.

It's 2012, we no longer need a 1,000 player server capacity.  The servers have merged, but they support a huge amount of concurrent players.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

The NA and EU servers appear to be capped at approx. 6,000 players.

(based on a comment by Andraya, if you know it to be different please do tell.))

There are 17 of these servers. (3 backwater APAC servers)

On SWTOR's busient day following the switch to FTP 15 of those got near full/full.

Doing the math, SWTOR on it's busiest post FTP day ever had was just shy of about 100,000 concurrent players, some subing, most FTP.

Since then the numbers have been ebbing down.

What this means revenue wise since the cash shop opened, I can't say.

(The general rule of thumb is that the peak concurrent player number is 10-20% of the total player base, although Andrayah will say it's 5-10%)

All of those numbers were based on SWTOR's busiest post FTP day.

That means that SWTOR's day of greatest appeal on relaunch was 500k-1 million people and now shrinking.

The majority of people, SWTOR enthusists included, seemed to miss on just how small the game population had become after attrition, GW2, and the second round of server merges. I guess it was easier to believe in super-servers and not be phased when EA opted not to announce subscription numbers in the October earnings report.

At this point it hardly matters. What matters now is how much the remaining subscribers will pay for gambiling boxes, cosmetic items, and whatever else is put in the cash shop such as charcter slots, Cathar, Life Day packs, Makeb, etc, etc. on top of their subscriptions.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Doesn't really sound like a surprise though. The game was doomed the moment they decided for the craptastic half finished Hero Engine version and cloning WoW mechanics.

Sad. And those plastic lifeless planets, there is no other option than ordering the Death Star for total annihilation.

[mod edit]

Well your post got me till the last highlighted part. I mean, EA execs aiming at at TSW + Eve? Honestly, if true I don't get it.

Not saying it would be bad, but I have a hard time with top execs in EA thinking that and selling it to their pairs.

[mod edit]

So you go from a thread yesterday,  page 9, post 86 of "Lucas Arts knew TOR would bomb" saying something along the lines that "how much anyone wanna bet that disney is looking for a way to shut down the tortanic? i know i would be at this point, really the best thing disney can do is shut tortanic down and get into everyones good graces by getting a pre-cu swg going again. with raph koster at the helm.".. now you're at having definitive information a day later.... And then there's the fact that you have 7 posts, all in SWTOR threads, you've praised TSW saying you've heard that their subs are on the incline and will go over 500k soon.... I call bull shit.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

EA announced in August that the subs were above 500k. That was before their 6 month subs ran out, GW2 came out, and their second round of server mergers. In their latest  quarter earnings confrence call they declind to comment on how many subs SWTOR had.

The game did seem to stabalize in October, but if you were tempted to quantify it, I wouldn't state it as 700-500k subs. You could either say unknow, or more likely around 300k subs, which is ironically the population of SWG before the shenanigans.

Or you could just say what EA did, paraphrasing, "What does a subscription count matter for a game which no longer requires a subscription?" In other words, the name of the game is combined revenue from the subs and the cash shop.

Also in August 2012 EA stated that they still need 500K subs (or the equivalent with cash shop added in that total) to break even. What happens if they do not get 500K subs? To me, that implies the game could shut down.

If they release a cheap game in 2013, like Minecraft, that costs virtualy nothing to operate, has millions of players, and generates  billions of dollars, acquiring loads of jobs for people, then EA are not going to burden themselves with the heavy costs of SWTOR are they?

I do not want the game to die, but from what EA are doing and saying with SWTOR, it just might.

Both SWG and COH before they closed had more positivity about them staying active than SWTOR does, and they both shut down. COH changed F2P only last year and not just added F2P but overhauled the mission system, and still bringing in content with more planned that never happened, but after all that effort and money spent doing that they still shut the game down a year later.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

[mod edit]

Sounds like a very likely scenario. I´m not surprised that things are turning out like that. Thanks for sharing that info.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !