Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new patch releasing monday looks pretty good for WAR

http://ageofreckoning.warhammeronline.com/article/Game-Update-148-1203#overlay-context=user

You will be able to lock your exp or earn double from killing players and monsters double influence etc or you can lock to any teir you want to fight in . This sounds really good for warhammer and new token armor sets for all tiers also with upgradable gear from uncommon to blue. Its not a game fixer but its def a step in the right direction with core issues with warhammer , now you can go pve get sets from PQs etc and not have to worry about out leveling a tier you want to get your renoun rank up in. Now if they would unlock a free to play option maybe pay for tiers for each character or something this game could see a nice big boost in population. I miss Warhammer but the population is just to small to go back to and actually enjoy huge battles anymore =/

Comments

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    do people still play at all? This is the one game that held me the longest and was the most fun in my opinion 
  • zasdzasd Member UncommonPosts: 45
    This game is way past its prime, EA killed it....
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Sub based last I saw
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    do people still play at all? This is the one game that held me the longest and was the most fun in my opinion 

there is apparently still a small population of two servers with badlands being still very active and the euro server not so much but still a population. With Biowar Mythic moving to seperate names and both studios hiring new staff in now it makes me think mythic is up to something with warhammer . They last said about 5 months ago that free to play wasnt an option because of the additional resouces needed to fund and staff the conversion , but at the same time these last couple of patches are addressing balance and changed to the lower tiers and i find it hard to believe with a vet population they are doing all these changes to tokens and exp gains rep gains etc for just a few players alts. I think War might have some life left in it and honestly Guild Wars 2 cant hold a candle IMO to warhammers pvp system as it comes almost directly from DAOC pvp except the two faction BS but i can live with that myself as long as there is a healthy population in game to play the lower tiers with once again. I miss war and hope to see some new life in it.

• ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Originally posted by zasd

Probably a combination of EA and the developers. WAR wasn't a very good game to begin with.

Originally posted by Arezon

Probably a combination of EA and the developers. WAR wasn't a very good game to begin with.

warhammers population left the game over class balance issues , they still have a huge end game of taking capitol cities and relic fortresses. Its has almost the same exact end game as DAOC , people left over the lack of balance changes to classes like bright wizards the first few months of release. I was there from beta up until about 2010. Went back a few times since then.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by cronius77

Its has almost the same exact end game as DAOC ,

Blasphemy!

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

warhammers population left the game over class balance issues , they still have a huge end game of taking capitol cities and relic fortresses. Its has almost the same exact end game as DAOC , people left over the lack of balance changes to classes like bright wizards the first few months of release. I was there from beta up until about 2010. Went back a few times since then.

The big question then, is have they fixed the class balance? hmm?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I will never understand this company. They could make WAR and DAoC F2P with a cash shop and make a ton of money. Instead they stick to milking the few hardcore fans that still play until they shut down the games for good. It's like they want to fail.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    I will never understand this company. They could make WAR and DAoC F2P with a cash shop and make a ton of money. Instead they stick to milking the few hardcore fans that still play until they shut down the games for good. It's like they want to fail.

First of all, the cash shop model is by definition milking the playerbase far more than the P2P model.

Second of all, Mythic can't just snap their fingers and make a game F2P, and if they could, it sure as heck wouldn't be DAoC.  They'd have to hire more people and expend a huge amount of resources to make the transition.  With EA currently pushing SW:TOR's F2P transition, it's not really worth while to go through the same process with WAR.

if you read some of the articles coming from EA employees for mythic its not a matter of milking the loyal base , they do literally do what they can with a staff of like 20 people . EA wouldnt for the longest time hire on anyone else at mythic in DC nor would they send money to war. Mythic was even having its resources taken for making of SWTOR , i know Jeff Hickman is down in  Austin now working , but i say good riddance he is part of the orginal problem with war in the first place. War might of made a bit of money from Wrath of Heroes as well as the anniversary article made it sound like they did and they said they would be using WOH profits to help fund warhammer AOR so we shall see in the future . I know the new patch isnt much in terms of content but its a step in the right direction for making the game more enjoyable with quality of life adjustments. Ill probably resub on monday since you get 14 days free for inactive accounts every couple of months as being an old subscriber and ill check out population.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr

there is apparently still a small population of two servers with badlands being still very active at certain times and the euro server not so much but still a population. With Biowar Mythic moving to seperate names and both studios hiring new staff in now it makes me think mythic is up to something with warhammer . They last said about 5 months ago that free to play wasnt an option because of the additional resouces needed to fund and staff the conversion , but at the same time these last couple of patches are addressing balance and changed to the lower tiers and i find it hard to believe with a vet population they are doing all these changes to tokens and exp gains rep gains etc for just a few players alts. I think War might have some life left in it and honestly Guild Wars 2 cant hold a candle IMO to warhammers pvp system as it comes almost directly from DAOC pvp except the two faction BS but i can live with that myself as long as there is a healthy population in game to play the lower tiers with once again. I miss war and hope to see some new life in it.

Fixed that for you OP.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

War could have been a great game. Loved the graphics and the lore.

PvP was fun too. Thx for the info, I might look into it for sure

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Smoey

Blasphemy!

lol no kidding - absolute propaganda statement.  Daoc is nothing like War - hell WoW is closer to daoc in end game BGs lol.

Originally posted by Comaf

Blasphemy!

lol no kidding - absolute propaganda statement.  Daoc is nothing like War - hell WoW is closer to daoc in end game BGs lol.

you two are full of it , end game in WAR is similiar to DAOC . You flip realm lakes just like DAOC did until you push far enough to unlock a city instance or you can capture a relic . The only difference really is instead of towers like in DAOC you have objectives and supply camps. WOW has arena and bgs , nothing like DAOC or WAR for that matter. You can always tell when someone who played through level 10 comes along just to trash a game for the hell of it on this site.

• MmocountMmocount Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by Comaf

Blasphemy!

you two are full of it , end game in WAR is similiar to DAOC . You flip realm lakes just like DAOC did until you push far enough to unlock a city instance or you can capture a relic . The only difference really is instead of towers like in DAOC you have objectives and supply camps. WOW has arena and bgs , nothing like DAOC or WAR for that matter. You can always tell when someone who played through level 10 comes along just to trash a game for the hell of it on this site.

What a load of crock. DaoC lakes were static. If you captured something there it stayed that way until someone took it back.

WAR is just a very elaborate version of Alterac Valley Scenario in World of Warcraft. You fight your way to the end, beat the end. Everything resets and you do it all over again like it never happened.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

Still my favorite PvP game. It comes up in conversation with friends of mine quite frequently, usually starting with "Only if it would go free to play."

The sub was never an issue for us. What made us most bitter was the way that the game was treated. The worst being when developers were taken from it to work on SWTOR to try and save it from its self. It got to the point where we had to leave because we just became bitter with it all.

Our hope is that a f2p conversion would mean more developers and a spike in population. The two go hand in hand. We simply want more content more often and less bad news about what the dev team is going through.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

No, they didnt. Mythic killed it already before EA came in. Mythic should have made DaoC 2 and stayed away from this IP.

Warhammer should be made by Warhammer fans and used mechancis from the brilliant Warhammer fantasy RPG to bring a well made world together.

I would be surprised if anyone at Mythic played more than maybe a little Bloodbowl, Warhammer have millions of fans and the MMO should have been made for them instead of an attemp to take Wows players.

Mythic did one thing right: Altdorf and onlyy because GW told them that they would pull the license unless they revamped it right (supposedly it was nothing like Altdorf before that, just a standard small and badly made town).

Of course revamping Altdorf took all the resources they planned to use on the 4 other capital cities that they instead scrapped which destroyed the intended endgame and doomed the game altogether, but already when I read Marc Jacobs introduction to the game years before launch I relaized that they never should have gotten the license in the first place.

Mythic already had a good IP, they should have stayed with it.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Loke666

No, they didnt. Mythic killed it already before EA came in. Mythic should have made DaoC 2 and stayed away from this IP.

Warhammer should be made by Warhammer fans and used mechancis from the brilliant Warhammer fantasy RPG to bring a well made world together.

I would be surprised if anyone at Mythic played more than maybe a little Bloodbowl, Warhammer have millions of fans and the MMO should have been made for them instead of an attemp to take Wows players.

Mythic did one thing right: Altdorf and onlyy because GW told them that they would pull the license unless they revamped it right (supposedly it was nothing like Altdorf before that, just a standard small and badly made town).

Of course revamping Altdorf took all the resources they planned to use on the 4 other capital cities that they instead scrapped which destroyed the intended endgame and doomed the game altogether, but already when I read Marc Jacobs introduction to the game years before launch I relaized that they never should have gotten the license in the first place.

Mythic already had a good IP, they should have stayed with it.

How do you know that the team were not fans of Warhammer? Obviously neither you nor I can measure this, so I don't think you should draw your own conclusions because what came out is not what you think fans would have made. It sounds like you would prefer they made the game more like one section of the Warhammer universe, Fantasy/Tabletop. There is nothing wrong with that, but I don't think the path they took was wrong either. It simply should have been more refined at launch, the bugs were far too many.

I am interested in knowing your source in regards to an Altdorf revamp.

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252

Speak for yourself

I left because the scenarios weren't that fun, and RvR wasn't that fun either.

The PvP was good, but combat alone can't carry a game.

I hated the instanced feeling where you couldn't walk from one zone to another. 

Rift

• AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I walked away from it back when they charged me 27 subscription fees in one day and it took 2 weeks to get my money back. It's a good game, but I can't do business with a company like that, especially when it's not the first time it happened.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    from my pov it was two games that have been stiched together and neither got the time in development it needed. Both came out half finished and both sufferd for it.

This have been a good conversation

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Surely most daoc fans are in ps2. It's much closer to daoc rvr than war or gw2.
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Azaqin
    I walked away from it back when they charged me 27 subscription fees in one day and it took 2 weeks to get my money back.

Ouch!

Something similar happened to me last week at a restaurant. They guy said he couldn't get my card to read but he was actually charging me each time. I discovered it the next day when I had 23 charges for 28.64 in my bank register.

Thankfully, the bank fixed it in two days.

OK...back OT...

Optional PvP = No PvP
    i do not find PS2 anything like DAOC other than capturing structures and persistant battles . Its a shooter and not a very good one at that other than to a few hardcore fans on this site.  Also alterac valley comments really? a instance? WAR has persistant battlegrounds so thats a BS statement right there . WAR zones flipped back after a couple of hours yes , but it was far from not persistant as it was battlefield objectives and homelands only . The middle zones stayed contested . Its so funny on this site because its pretty clear not many people here actually got to tier 4 making comments about how it was wow. About the only thing wow and WAR really shared in common was linear questing and a similiar interface. War had a complete pvp system based around renoun gain just like realm points in DAOC persistant realm vs realm zones. You could completely level up without touching pve zones , you had public quests which both rift and GW2 ripped off of . I can keep on going so comments about wow shows the maturity of some of you guys here seriously.