Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoWstunlockrogue v GW2 1shot thief

localhero95localhero95 Member Posts: 16

which do you prefer?

EDIT: huh kinda made this quick, and didnt think out a paragraph before even posting so my bad but um -

On the basis of both classes being known as wildly unfair in both games, discuss.

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I hate thieves in GW2 more because they are more OP than they had intended due to poor rendering.

Also with the whole I can PvP the second I make a character, everyone hops to the flavour of the month and ruins Spvp by filling it with CnD+Steal+Backstab thiefs.

• localhero95localhero95 Member Posts: 16
    huh honestly wasnt expecting thief to take the lead
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    As I have not played wow I cant say.
  • IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    I played Thief. Thieves are not op, BUT the game's rendering engine is bullshit. It cannot display like 20v20 fight properly in WvW (while in WoW's old days it displayed 40v40 on AV without problems). It only renders up to several models on screen.

What this means is that Thieves have very easy time nuking you - by the time you realise you have a Thief hitting you - you're already close to dead. If you'd be able to see Thieves render right when they pop out of stealth or shadowstep, you'd easilly dodge their nuke and then they're without initiative and cant do shit. But you cant see Thieves and that's why they prevail.

It just so happens that Thieves benefit the most out of this game's crappy rendering system.

And BTW, stunlockrogue was balanced very well, it was just not that fun to play against because you spent so many time in "cannot control character" state while playing against one. They didnt remove stunlock because it was OP, but because it was bad design - not fun mechanic.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

never played wow, cant answer.

But i have played a thief, and besides for the rendering lag that makes them hard to hit or see, they are not OP.

Warriors are OP as fuck though. Pick up regen from Runes and sigils, throw that in with the regen from healing signet, mix in power/toughness/vitality exotics, trait to get stacks of might on crits( crit 50% of the time), and trait for healing shouts.

You outregen most shit, can launch a 100 blades/number 5 dual axe skill to  stack up might faster than a mofo, have plenty of condition removal(that also heals due to trait), and still be able to stack bleeds consistently(even better with a mesmer around)

So you got top notch EVERYTHING lol. My fav class.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Having played both, gw2 thief by far.  The terrible "fade in time' because of the bad multiplayer handling of the game/engine means you are mostly dead.  If a rogue opened on you in WoW AV, you saw them no matter what, even during the tons of NPC days.

In WoW, they rogue instantly appeared.  And you could still fight them off.

Except when they were undead (as a priest).  Then...it was already over.

This isn't even close.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Both classes are really sterile and boring to play, i have played both and didn't like either but neither was what i'd call op.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Wear Vit/tough/Power gear and put 30 points in each of your toughness and Vitality traits if you dont like to be 1 shotted.  If you expect to run around in PvP in a glass cannon buidl expect ot die like one.

So with that being said I take GW2 thief all day long and twice on sundays because I actually have control of the outcome instead of sitting helpless for 12+ secs in a stun lock.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

People are forgeting thier MMO history.  The WoW stun lock rogue is by far more powerful.   The Thief cant win in PvP naked and using level 1 weapons.  Especially against a fully geared warrior.

I present some of the greatest videos ever made.........World of Roguecraft.

Episode 1 ...  action start 5 min mark

Episode 3 ...  the best of the three.  This is the video where the rogue kills everyone while wearing no armor and only a starter weapon.  Some around here needs to watch the first portion of this vid and take it to heart.

The GW2 thief is annoying, but is not really OP.  A lot of people are sporting zerker gear and then complaining about getting fucked up by a thief.  Additionally, people like to complain first and learn thier class second.

Nothing matched the anger you felt from being helplessly stun locked by a rogue in early wow.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    I'd rather die instantly then bash my keyboard frantically for 3-5 seconds while my character is helpless.
  • SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    Thiefs are cheap but they don't one shot me at all. I think you may need some toughness lol.....
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Others are correct that the issue with Thieves is largely related to the rendering engine issues. The thing that makes it more frustrating is that there were not these rendering issues in beta or even during the first few weeks after the game launched. We have rendering culling issues, sound issues, "Obstructed" and "Invulnerable" system bugginess and, for many, lower FPS than a month after launch.

Somone has been doing some tweaks and optimization, but they have just mucked things up. My guess is that it's related to the missle ware culling and occlusion system they licensed from Umbra. (Umbra does sound, shader and polygon culling). It seems like they are trying hard to make the tech work, since they paid for it, but the issues have to make one wonder if they aren't just throwing good money after bad.

Back to thieves, in general they are not over-powered and, in fact, the profession probably has an above average number of underpowered builds. There are some builds that are very strong, like stealth heavy back stab builds, but it's hard to evaluate if they are actually overpowered with these technical issues creating advantages that are not part of the actual profession design.

Other professions, like Warrior, can actually out burst a thief. The "accidental" extended invisibility and the fact that stealth apparently puts the stealthed character at the bottom of the rendering queue is the actual problem. Ideally, the technical issues will be corrected, rather than us seeing additional sPvP and WvW nerfs aimed at compesating for the uninteded consequences of the horrible culing tech!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by fiontar

Others are correct that the issue with Thieves is largely related to the rendering engine issues. The thing that makes it more frustrating is that there were not these rendering issues in beta or even during the first few weeks after the game launched. We have rendering culling issues, sound issues, "Obstructed" and "Invulnerable" system bugginess and, for many, lower FPS than a month after launch.

Somone has been doing some tweaks and optimization, but they have just mucked things up. My guess is that it's related to the missle ware culling and occlusion system they licensed from Umbra. (Umbra does sound, shader and polygon culling). It seems like they are trying hard to make the tech work, since they paid for it, but the issues have to make one wonder if they aren't just throwing good money after bad.

Back to thieves, in general they are not over-powered and, in fact, the profession probably has an above average number of underpowered builds. There are some builds that are very strong, like stealth heavy back stab builds, but it's hard to evaluate if they are actually overpowered with these technical issues creating advantages that are not part of the actual profession design.

Other professions, like Warrior, can actually out burst a thief. The "accidental" extended invisibility and the fact that stealth apparently puts the stealthed character at the bottom of the rendering queue is the actual problem. Ideally, the technical issues will be corrected, rather than us seeing additional sPvP and WvW nerfs aimed at compesating for the uninteded consequences of the horrible culing tech!

This man knows whats up. If you are worried about a thief in pvp, wait'll you run across me image

EDIT: Example- Thief appears behind and starts heartseeking. Immediately hit "Fear Me!","On my Mark!", and "For Great Justice!" shouts, use greatsword skill number 3 l to quickly move in front of it, and let out a 100 blades while he approaches me. He doesn't trouble me anymore.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    never had any problems with thiefs - cdr elementalist here.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Nothing is more annoying than the infamous rogue stunlock in early WoW. I was playing a warlock and it was virtually impossible to kill a rogue. Unless he is out of stealth and I place crapload of dots on him. Good thing they removed it.

Although what I really liked was chain fear. That was fun. I could faceroll 5 characters at the same time by chain fearing :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by Maephisto

People are forgeting thier MMO history.  The WoW stun lock rogue is by far more powerful.   The Thief cant win in PvP naked and using level 1 weapons.  Especially against a fully geared warrior.

I present some of the greatest videos ever made.........World of Roguecraft.

Episode 1 ...  action start 5 min mark

Episode 3 ...  the best of the three.  This is the video where the rogue kills everyone while wearing no armor and only a starter weapon.  Some around here needs to watch the first portion of this vid and take it to heart.

The GW2 thief is annoying, but is not really OP.  A lot of people are sporting zerker gear and then complaining about getting fucked up by a thief.  Additionally, people like to complain first and learn thier class second.

Nothing matched the anger you felt from being helplessly stun locked by a rogue in early wow.

yeh m8 those old videos from Vanilla WoW, rogue was master on 1X1 but its gone since thaose days...

But those days we had a nice World pvp to play on WoW and Blizzard destroyed everything ....

About thief in GW2 - its power comes from a exploit, i.e. an EXPLOIT from the bad game engine, as in sPvP warriores are far better or even mesmers.

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I prefer wow stunlock rogue. Perma invi, 1hit thief in GW2 is just lame as hell.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Masa1
    I prefer wow stunlock rogue. Perma invi, 1hit thief in GW2 is just lame as hell.

Actually - just look - not invisible - you can see them. It looks like a heat shimmer, not hard to deal with. People just like to complain and then learn how to play ther prefession later.

People forgot about all the complaints of Saboteurs in Rift - people complaining about how OP they were. They were glass cannons but people complained and Trion listened and nerfed them to oblivion.

Nothing new about people complaining about being killed in PvP when they are not observent.

Originally posted by botrytis

Actually - just look - not invisible - you can see them. It looks like a heat shimmer, not hard to deal with. People just like to complain and then learn how to play ther prefession later.

People forgot about all the complaints of Saboteurs in Rift - people complaining about how OP they were. They were glass cannons but people complained and Trion listened and nerfed them to oblivion.

Nothing new about people complaining about being killed in PvP when they are not observent.

They should also nerf thieves into oblivion. Thieves are just way too OP.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

They are not - just have to learn what defeats them. Traps, my favorite skill Chaos Storm from mesmer (always whacks them). Again, people complain but learn your profession - every profession has an achilles heal.

They are not - just have to learn what defeats them. Traps, my favorite skill Chaos Storm from mesmer (always whacks them). Again, people complain but learn your profession - every profession has an achilles heal.

There are only a handful of skills to defeat thief for each profession... and before you try to say that each profession is similar to thief in that sense: NO, you can defeat other professions with almost any skill set, only thief needs specific skills.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Marks and Wells - thieves don't lika da necro...
  • GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

hi

Only bad players have problems with thieves in GW2.

First of all, don't run glass cannon. There is almost no reason to run full glass cannon, ever. Get some toughness (don't even need much to get a lot of benefit), get some useful utilities.

Burst/backstab thieves are -very- easy to counter, the only way they can even apply their burst is if you're distracted by someone else and they intervene as a roamer without being detected. In which case it's 2v1 and you didn't expect to always win those right?

Condition/evade thieves who slowly whittle away at people with conditions and caltrops are much, much stronger.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

The worse of both is definitely the "stunlock rogue". Anything "stunlock" is utterly bad anyway. No class should be able to make another class totally unable to fight back.

This said, on my Feral druid (tank specced), I've always been laughing at rogues... ;)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

After watching that video i wonder if we must really L2P lol. That guy plays the weakest class according to many an Ele DD and he fights 1vs3 1vs5 1vs8 and he win almost all fights..I cant do that with my *OP* classes guardian and mesmer lol..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXz5nVpS3Ds