Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

If it was up to me, I would toilet-flush all in-game "Exclusive Rewards".

DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIPosts: 1,411Member Uncommon

What are Exclusive Items? Exclusive Items, within the MMO genre, are items that are generally received outside of the game:

1. Rare Item obtained for Pre-Ordering.
  2. Rare Item obtained for purchasing the Collector's Edition.
  3. Rare Item obtained via Cross-Promotion (Purchase Razer NAGA Mouse and get Exclusive Green Crystal for SWTOR).
  4. Rare Item obtained because you attended a convention.
  5. Rare Item obtained because you registered on the forums before a certain date.
  6. Rare Item obtained because you made it into Closed Beta.
  7. Rare Item obtained because you followed their development via facebook and twitter.
  8. Rare Item obtained because you won some screenshot contest.

If a player wants to be able to "show off" some rare in-game item, cape, or title, then that player should have to earn it in the game itself. I remember attending a Warhammer Online convention (It was down the street). Because I showed up, I was given a code that allowed me to turn my character into a humanoid rat. After applying the code to my account and testing it in town, my message beeper started to sound like a machine gun, e.g., "'Where did you get that?', 'How?', 'What class?', 'What quest did you have to do?'" They were all upset when I told them that it was an "exclusive" reward.

All items obtained earned in game should be obtained through in-game effort.

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Greencastle, INPosts: 2,595Member Uncommon

Humm, You do realize that plumbers are almost as expensive as Doctors. Doctors can at least get there liences revoked. Plumbers just put leins on your home.

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Albany, NYPosts: 256Member

I'd have to disagree with you on purchasing editions other than standard edition and on closed betas.

If I'm going to spend the money to genuinely support a company and its product, I would like to show for it. Hell, if it's something as simple as cosmetic I'll enjoy it. It just shows that I'm dedicated to the game. I'd say this wouldn't apply to big AAA titles from companies like BioWare, Blizzard, etc.

It's difficult with closed betas. Depending on the size of closed beta and the actual exclusiveness of it, the reward may vary. However, if I actually use closed beta to improve the game via bug reporting/feedback/suggestions, then I'd like something to show that I helped shape the game. As well as being part of a dedicated, core group of people that had access to said beta. Again, even if it's a cosmetic reward.

I do agree on all your other points though.

• DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIPosts: 1,411Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Bakkoda24

I'd have to disagree with you on purchasing editions other than standard edition and on closed betas.

If I'm going to spend the money to genuinely support a company and it's product, I would like to show for it. Hell, if it's something as simple as cosmetic I'll enjoy it. It just shows that I'm dedicated to the game.

It's difficult with closed betas. Depending on the size of closed beta and the actual exclusiveness of it, the reward may vary. However, if I actually use closed beta to improve the game via bug reporting/feedback/suggestions, then I'd like something to show that I helped shape the game. As well as being part of a dedicated, core group of people that had access to said beta. Again, even if it's a cosmetic reward.

Beta Rewards are actually the worst, IMO. The reward should just be the opportunity to the play the beta. Almost anyone would enjoy to participate in a Closed Beta. The only problem is being picked from the mass of players. It's not fair to other people who registered and did not get picked. So ultimately, obtaining a Closed Beta reward is like winning some community lottery.

• HeretiqueHeretique Posts: 1,101Member Uncommon

Never going to happen. Why? It's not good for business/marketing. Most people want that badge that says "I'm Special" as exclusive as possible.

Originally posted by salsa41
    are you have problem ?

• cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,355Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

If I'm going to spend the money to genuinely support a company and it's product, I would like to show for it. Hell, if it's something as simple as cosmetic I'll enjoy it. It just shows that I'm dedicated to the game.

Beta Rewards are actually the worst, IMO. The reward should just be the opportunity to the play the beta. Almost anyone would enjoy to participate in a Closed Beta. The only problem is being picked from the mass of players. It's not fair to other people who registered and did not get picked. So ultimately, obtaining a Closed Beta reward is like winning some community lottery.

see i can agree totally with you here , the rest i cannot as its just fluff for a box price increase. But as for beta , hell i remember back in the day getting into both shrouded isles and trials of atlantis beta tests when i was playing DAOC and back then it was actually being tested . Same with shadowbane beta and wow beta , we actually tested the games and made sure they were mostly bug free on release and we gave opinions. Now every single damn beta is a bunch of lazy worthless players that do not give two craps about testing a game and just want to play it early to see if they like it before they buy it . The chats are filled with wow comments , when something doesnt work and is bugged they cry in general chat and troll. I hate todays beta tests and i feel like majority of why games fail is because their closed beta testers and alpha testers these days.

• VrikaVrika FinlandPosts: 2,595Member Uncommon

I think cosmetic exclusive rewards are good ideas. From pre-ordering, some convetions, one-time in-game events, etc. players should get some unique item as a keepsake. However, some games have gone too far into it with their pre-order bonuses and collection edition bonuses. They should give just single item keepsakes, not whole item sets, and nothing that aims to be cooler than things already available in-game.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHPosts: 2,933Member Uncommon
    I definitely resent the exclusive in game rewards for going to a convention or collecting trading cards.
  • Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Albany, NYPosts: 256Member

Some developers do hand-pick beta testers based on their previous experience and skills in programming. So, in situations like this it would be a bit different, no?

I pre-purchased Age of Wushu and used the first closed beta phase to report a large amount of bugs and help countless community members in solving their issues. All I'm receiving for purchasing the Elite Edition is a permanent mount, some consumables, an optional Game DVD, access to betas, and a headstart at release. The mount is just a different design than all the others.

Mind you, I don't care if I receive in-game items at all. I really don't. I pe-purchased AoW because I loved 9Dragons, I don't hate SnailGamesUSA, and I really wanted to help with beta. In-game bonuses are just that, bonuses.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,788Member Uncommon
    If it gives you some in-game advantage, then I agree.  If not, and the company gets money from it somehow, then it's just a peculiar form of cosmetic fluff in an "item mall".
  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,215Member Uncommon
    Pixel envy is just silly.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

• fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member
    Cash shop dwarf any of those pre-order / cross-prmotion and other similar items ideas listed in OP when it comes to "should be earned in game not get otherwise" thing & immersion breaks.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIPosts: 1,411Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Heretique

Never going to happen. Why? It's not good for business/marketing. Most people want that badge that says "I'm Special" as exclusive as possible.

So. Not getting that isn't going to stop someone from playing the game.

• ToxiaToxia Lake Charles, LAPosts: 1,319Member Uncommon

I'm fine with both in game exclusives and out of game ones.

Everyone loves the 'ITS NOT FAIR!' remark, but it is fair. You payed extra for the collector's edition, helped bug test a closed beta, was there when the game launched, etc.

You did more, be it out of game, than the others did , and can show something for it. That's plenty fair.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• CalerxesCalerxes LondonPosts: 1,630Member Uncommon

What are Exclusive Items? Exclusive Items, within the MMO genre, are items that are generally received outside of the game:

1. Rare Item obtained for Pre-Ordering.
    2. Rare Item obtained for purchasing the Collector's Edition.
    3. Rare Item obtained via Cross-Promotion (Purchase Razer NAGA Mouse and get Exclusive Green Crystal for SWTOR).
    4. Rare Item obtained because you attended a convention.
    5. Rare Item obtained because you registered on the forums before a certain date.
    6. Rare Item obtained because you made it into Closed Beta.
    7. Rare Item obtained because you followed their development via facebook and twitter.
    8. Rare Item obtained because you won some screenshot contest.

If a player wants to be able to "show off" some rare in-game item, cape, or title, then that player should have to earn it in the game itself. I remember attending a Warhammer Online convention (It was down the street). Because I showed up, I was given a code that allowed me to turn my character into a humanoid rat. After applying the code to my account and testing it in town, my message beeper started to sound like a machine gun, e.g., "'Where did you get that?', 'How?', 'What class?', 'What quest did you have to do?'" They were all upset when I told them that it was an "exclusive" reward.

So you are concerned with the welfare of others who get upset when that Sparkle Pony is only available from the DD or CE version of the game? I'm impressed with your altruism and charity, keep up the good work looking after the envious and entitled in our society I'm sure they'll thank you for it.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by Toxia

Everyone loves the 'ITS NOT FAIR!' remark, but it is fair. You payed extra for the collector's edition, helped bug test a closed beta, was there when the game launched, etc.

You did more, be it out of game, than the others did , and can show something for it. That's plenty fair.

If you're not willing to narrow that at all, then even the most egregious pay to win item malls are completely fair, too.

Originally posted by Quizzical

If you're not willing to narrow that at all, then even the most egregious pay to win item malls are completely fair, too.

Mmm that's another ball game altogether. Wasn't referring to item malls, in which everyone CAN get everything, but have to pay for it. Was referring to things people CANT get, even if they want, such as collector's edition mounts, or closed beta rewards, etc. Things you can't get after the fact.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• zekeofevzekeofev Mesa, AZPosts: 233Member
    Originally posted by Heretique

I have to agree.

I totally agree with you that I wish things were earnable in the game...but in todays marketplace it just is not going to happen.

Mmm that's another ball game altogether. Wasn't referring to item malls, in which everyone CAN get everything, but have to pay for it. Was referring to things people CANT get, even if they want, such as collector's edition mounts, or closed beta rewards, etc. Things you can't get after the fact.

So if a really flagrant pay to win item mall is shut down a year after launch, but people get to keep all of the item mall stuff that they bought before that and item mall stuff is untradeable, that's perfectly fair to people who join later?

• zekeofevzekeofev Mesa, AZPosts: 233Member

So if a really flagrant pay to win item mall is shut down a year after launch, but people get to keep all of the item mall stuff that they bought before that and item mall stuff is untradeable, that's perfectly fair to people who join later?

Its not fair. Since I am not much for unfairness I would probably quit as soon as I found out about it. Then again I just don't like pay to win in general much less then preorder pay to win.

I can somewhat tolerate cosmetic preorders. Barely.

Heheh you keep going to item malls, again, something i wasn't talking about.

But, going by your scenario, if i bought stuff from an item mall, then it closed, then new players came along who couldn't get it, yes, i would call it fair. What's the alternative? Taking my paid for items because new people wont be able to get them? THAT would be unfair.

It's not MY fault that THEY came late to the show, and missed out on the goodies.

EDIT: That only goes a certain distance though. If say the item i bought from the item mall was 1200 DPS, and the highest you could get in game was 800 after they shut the item mall down, it would only be fair to scale the DPS to 800 as well. But short of that, i paid for it, was here to get it, etc. Early birds and their worms.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.