Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Is The Worst Birthday Ever...

MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
Me and my bro have been addicted to CoH for 6+ years, it has given us the best times of our lives as far as gaming goes....today is also his birthday, he turned 19 and cried for the first time in years after looking at his character list...this is bull crap, NCsoft should feel ashamed for letting this game go, I made lifelong friends on CoH and now have nothing to talk about but memories....I hope NCsoft closes.

Mystery Bounty

Comments

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

You know I hope I don't come off as a dick here, because that's not my intention. But games come and go. It was bound to die eventually, just like every other game. You'll get through it, it IS only a game. 

But, you know, sorry to hear about your loss. We all deal with it at one point or another.

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208

I truly understand you op.

We all know there are only games but still...

I will cry when warhammer goes down. So many memories.....

• Moe4871Moe4871 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Your thread also comes off as extremely selfish, because City of Heroes isn't the only game NCSoft owns. For you to want doom on NCSoft would affect other players and their "homes". The notion is pathetic and childish no matter how upset you are. You aren't the only player in the world to be important.
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

1st of all you should curse the people that left the game and make NCSoft to close the game.

2nd you should keep lot of videos from your gameplay all those years to have memories.

3rd think 1 and 2.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Moe4871
    Your thread also comes off as extremely selfish, because City of Heroes isn't the only game NCSoft owns. For you to want doom on NCSoft would affect other players and their "homes". The notion is pathetic and childish no matter how upset you are. You aren't the only player in the world to be important.

The decision to close down COH seems to now be leading NC Soft to bankruptcy. The decsion to shut it down was not an economic one but a political one, and now they are suffering for it. People have a right to be upset about the closure of COH, NC Soft are the cause of their own demise from bad business, not the OP

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6267.0.html

Fifth of all, I am not giving up hope that we'll still be able to acquire City of Heroes at some point. Right now, NCsoft is suffering a massive PR black eye (gee, really?) for their unwillingness to sell or license the IP for reasonable terms. I've heard some of the terms they were demanding, and they really are unreasonable. Needless to say, claiming that they had "exhausted all efforts" was disingenuous at best. People have been taking to their Facebook, Twitter, and other public pages to let the larger gaming community know what's going on. While I'm not directly leading those efforts, as a gamer myself, I have been encouraging people to share how they feel to other communities so that even if City of Heroes can't be saved, it gives game publishers a heavy dose of reality to chew on.

And speaking of NCsoft, they're not doing so well right now. Their stock price is currently down to 169,000 KRW. The 52-week low? That's right, 169,000 KRW. They are a whopping 52.5% off their 52-week high and have been consistently falling almost since the closure of City of Heroes was announced. While I don't think that investors care so much about City of Heroes specifically, I do think that they are taking note that it represents NCsoft's floundering presence in the North American market. While Guild Wars 2 launched to much fanfare, I honestly don't think it will be the stable long-term source of income that City of Heroes was, and there is a lot of negative attention being given to Blade and Soul even before it launches.

I mention all of this because if NCsoft goes bankrupt or is sold to some kind of holding company, there's a distinct possibility that the IP and/or code base could be acquired at liquidation or fire sale price. It's definitely something that we are keeping a very close eye on and hopeful about.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

Yeah you have a couple of effect. Since NCSoft has the label of a MMO killer and has for a bit now, people are going to be leery of having anything to do with a game published by them. When the chips are down, they will cash out. Compare this with companies like Funcom where no matter how bad they get battered, they still keep the games running and you can see the difference.

You also now have the "SOE effect" with NCSoft. You will have people staying away from anything they get behind out of how this went down. Doesan't matter if the game has the potential to be the best thing ever, there will be people who will not give it a chance no matter what because of who is behind it.

As posted above though, there is a chance now that the game has been put to sleep that NCSoft will sell it. There are still efforts going on by players to get large companies interested so that everything will be purchansed and people can go back to playing like before.

If not there are plans for public no cost servers funded by fans and other things so COH will live on in some way.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Atleast there are other games simmilar to COH. When they shut down SWG, that left a huge hole to fill in, and still will be a few years before anything like it hits the open market :(
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Atleast there are other games simmilar to COH. When they shut down SWG, that left a huge hole to fill in, and still will be a few years before anything like it hits the open market :(

I can't really think of many other games quite like CoH...

This is a sad day, one more great pre WoW MMO fades away, leaving nothing but trash in the market.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Sucks that happend OP but why should a company keep a game up they are not making money with? I mean if your losing money you close down. That is just business and yes gaming is a business. It is not the end of the world take those memories and keep them but find another game.
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    you need to come to the Secret World, already a ton of CoH refugees (including me)
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Beacker
    Sucks that happend OP but why should a company keep a game up they are not making money with? I mean if your losing money you close down. That is just business and yes gaming is a business. It is not the end of the world take those memories and keep them but find another game.

I guess you did not read my previous post

The game was making money, it got shut down due to political reasons. Companies were willing to buy the IP off NC Soft and make a profit themselves but NC Soft made unreasonable demands with the sale, and nothing has happened yet. NC Soft are losing money hand over fist since the announcement of its closure, and are now nearing bankruptcy. If that happens then the IP will be sold off to another company and COH will live again.