Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To nerf Camo, or not to nerf Camo....[Video inside]

BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

WARNING

Before watching this video, please understand the following,  There were no hacks, exploits, cheats, bugs, involved in this video what so ever - everything that happened is legit, and unfortunately, may end up being nerf in the near/later future. other than that..... enjoy the lulz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tL9aWePmO2k

Summary:  Many have explained that buying Camo is a waste of money, or is just for looks.  In this video, buying certain Camo that has similiar colors of the enemy faction might prove useful... perhaps too useful.

My opinion: In this video, a Vanu light assault has applied the  [Giraffe Camo] on his uniform,  flew down and had some fun with the NC, the worse part however, is that it took the NC a VERY LONG TIME, to figure out the enemy was amongst them.

Q: why nobody spammed  spot?

A: perhaps in a psycohological perspective, the fire fight  being very thick, many of the NC's focus was towards one particular direction, the enemy being as close as the Giraffe camo guy, the idea didnt pop up for anybody to blindly start spamming spot and spin around in 360 degree's non stop to find any enemies;  they thought they were safe.

Q: as many people that he killed why didnt he show up on radar

A: again the fire fight being thick and many having their attention placed on that and not the surrounding area, the Vanu Giraffe soldier mostly killed using a knife, knife kills dont register on radar because they dont make much noise unlike using a gun.  and of the times he finally used a shotgun, whether he appeared on the radar or not,  the NC were not paying attention (note: i dont think shotguns can have suppressors on them, let alone he was equiped with one)

Also thought of the lag, bugs that perhaps helped him,  and to be honest, if that were the case, then ALL of those NC that were in the area , all of them must of had the same frame rate, bugs, color blindness at the exact same time to not notice the Vanu Giraffe soldier.

Comments

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

The problem I find with some radar pings is that they last way too long, so an enemy that was killed 10 or more seconds ago is still marked on the minimap.

It would have also been nice had he added what his character actually looks like with Giraffe Camo next to an NC soldier.

So, yea, I'd agree that this needs to be looked at.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I was wondering about this exact situation yesterday while looking through the camo options.

I saw specific colors and thought "Wow that would look just like a TR" (the red camo specfically).

I wonder if this is intended so people will shell out 5 dollars for unlimited camo? Wierd, but that is nuts and we will see if camo becomes restricted to specific sides instead of all camo available for all sides.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Giraffe Camo on VS:

not a really good/clear picture,  but the colors alone  can be deceptive if not paying attention and in a hectic situation

• WahrHeitWahrHeit Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Funny but to be honest i hate non faction colours camo...it sucks for me... I can recognise always people because i spam Q usually but i think its lame if everything its red,purp,blue.
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Oh lord, I dont want to play with those idiots ...swapping to vanu asap  (not going to "LOL LOOK AT ME IM ZERGING!!11!!!" TR side, im sorry)

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

huh... I don't even pay attention to the figures, I just look to see if there's a big blue triangle above their heads.

-

Hell, w/ my NV scope I can't see the colors anyway...

• VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72
    If the devs are smart, they wont "nerf" anything this early on in the open release.  Let the game and all of its aspects be fully explored first. If a camo color is effective for stealth its not the fault of the camo, it's the inability of the group to use detection tools to protect its position. Don't nerf the game ... learn the game.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Just bought myself the giraffe camo skin.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Vannor

lol

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by Vannor

lol

oh god what have i done....

lol

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Honestly I call this at least partially the fault of the players for not noticing that while the color might looks similar the armor was still different, and the lack of a green name would have been a tipoff too.

Certainly you need to be careful of things that blur the lines heavily, but there are easy tells external just to faction color on the body (though vanu retain purple and teal parts regardless of what camo is used) that should have tipped those players off faster.

So I at least equally blame the players for just being bad players in this case. :p

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    i think it serves its purpose... what else is the camo for? does the game have like yellow background and buildings for him to blend in with? if not, there is no other purpose for it if its not meant to be pure cosmetic.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Yeah I gues to be fair, I got a camo set myself to use, but that was largely because I didn't just want to be purple ( I wanna be a unique snowflake! XD)

But I got the dappled white and grey camo. It doesn't make me look like any of the factions really, and I'm not apt to think it's why I managed to live so long, but it robably did help when I wat butted up against the wall of a base in one of the indents watching a bunch of TR running towards and then by me. The off-colors and odd location probably made them more apt to ignore me.

And that's rather what camo is supposed to do, is it not? It serves no numeric benefit, but it is still camo and that can still serve a mechanical/situational benefit. Unless you make the camo gaupy bright and consequently negatively impacting, or color/faction specific to rnder it next to moot compared to running about in your normal colors since s few will even notice any visual distinction.

If nerfed, the implication being you'll pretty much just be paying five bucks for a different shade of faction colors, and that's not about to generate much player incentive.

Camo that actually acts as camo on a basic level, with enough distinction in the overall form for a sane player to identify, is preferable. If it can actually serve a tactical advantage without making you simply do more damage or affect your chatacter in a statistically driven manner, I think that's actually quite a good thing.

Adds a thinking level to the game, even if it's such a minor thing.

EDIT: TL;DR - I agree with Neo.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Beanpuie

WARNING

Before watching this video, please understand the following,  There were no hacks, exploits, cheats, bugs, involved in this video what so ever - everything that happened is legit, and unfortunately, may end up being nerf in the near/later future. other than that..... enjoy the lulz.

Summary:  Many have explained that buying Camo is a waste of money, or is just for looks.  In this video, buying certain Camo that has similiar colors of the enemy faction might prove useful... perhaps too useful.

My opinion: In this video, a Vanu light assault has applied the  [Giraffe Camo] on his uniform,  flew down and had some fun with the NC, the worse part however, is that it took the NC a VERY LONG TIME, to figure out the enemy was amongst them.

A: perhaps in a psycohological perspective, the fire fight  being very thick, many of the NC's focus was towards one particular direction, the enemy being as close as the Giraffe camo guy, the idea didnt pop up for anybody to blindly start spamming spot and spin around in 360 degree's non stop to find any enemies;  they thought they were safe.

A: again the fire fight being thick and many having their attention placed on that and not the surrounding area, the Vanu Giraffe soldier mostly killed using a knife, knife kills dont register on radar because they dont make much noise unlike using a gun.  and of the times he finally used a shotgun, whether he appeared on the radar or not,  the NC were not paying attention (note: i dont think shotguns can have suppressors on them, let alone he was equiped with one)

Also thought of the lag, bugs that perhaps helped him,  and to be honest, if that were the case, then ALL of those NC that were in the area , all of them must of had the same frame rate, bugs, color blindness at the exact same time to not notice the Vanu Giraffe soldier.

Buff camo!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Ive lit some team mates up for looking like NC...haha.

it does fool you from time to time,but I think it also brings another element of fun to the game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    onetime purchase inc.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

WARNING

I've watched this video several times now because it's just that good.  Great music to accompany you knifing those poor fools in the back.  LOL

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

Managed to do the same deep in an enemy base without camo, it was night tho, VS light against NCs. Was hilarious.

People just aren't expecting enemies there which makes it easy to not look to carefully at people around you, but i learnt to look at everyone I see no matter where and if i don't immediately see the friendly arrow above them i press Q.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    It works... idk how, but it works lmao.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

As a NC Medic i have the artic camo (white grey) and i did just troll for 45 seconds in the midst of an Vanu frontline packed with 30+ vanus at 10 square meters.

This was on broad daylight on indar "The Crown".

Killing over 20 people with the knife / c4 and a few handgun shoots. It took the respawning sunderer guys to actually kill me.

And the arctic camo seems to trigger an "angst" effect on my own NC faction. I probably get every 5 minutes friendly fire killed by one guy not realizing i'm an nc, despite my blue tag, my blue helmet and me healing him. (I'm not talking about fireline accidents but right out aiming and killing me standing next to them without enemies)

It made clear:

1. People don't use spot
    2. They don't watch their surroundings in the midst oftheir own
    3. Nearly no one seems to know the Color and even less the armor shape of any factions including their own.
    4. People are so used to color nametags they can't tell friend from foe without them.
    5. Even blinking red indicators for friendlyfire are not visible to the majority

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

I personally kill friendlies that wear the opposing teams colors.  Countless times I've accidently shot them in thick fire fights, given away my position or attempted to heal them and died when I otherwise would not have  Now if I see a friendly that looks like the enemy in the heat of battle, I just waste him.

Just my perogative.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

WARNING

errrm... dude? dont do those drugs, seriously.

you ask to nerf camo and then you show the next vid doing the same WITHOUT the camo?

point dissaproved i guess.

didnt it cross your mind that the camo had nothing to do with it then? if you find a bunch of noobs it's usualy quite easy to kill em ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Camo is a double edged sword
    You're more likely to die to friendly fire wearing it.
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

lol.. Epic...

Camo is winning..

Infilitrators being able to kill someone and actually disguise themselves for a limited time would be even better!

Originally posted by Thane

WARNING

errrm... dude? dont do those drugs, seriously.

you ask to nerf camo and then you show the next vid doing the same WITHOUT the camo?

point dissaproved i guess.

didnt it cross your mind that the camo had nothing to do with it then? if you find a bunch of noobs it's usualy quite easy to kill em ^^

Lol

re-read what i wrote then come back to me.