Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dammit, city of heroes deserves better than this!

Comments

• xmechnaxmechna Member UncommonPosts: 20

going to miss coh/cov  

it was my favorite mmorpg  and the only decent hero mmorpg out there in my opinion , yes i am bitter twords Ncsoft and i hope that the company burns i do understand that they are a company trying to make money but they will not get anymore of my money .

i hope the game devs get good homes and company that will treat them better good luck.

in a funny way (tinfoil hat) i could draw the conclusion that  soe paid them to shut Coh/Cov down (tinfoil hat)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Arakane
    of course, I am referring to the shutting down. so bloody damn wrong !

Form a line, behind the EaB guys, the SWG guys, etc.

No pushing or shoving in the queue, please.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I'll miss it but eventually everything has to be put to rest. 8 years is a good run by any standard and at least it's going out while still a favourite in many gamers hearts.

The community aspect of this game was second to none and was the perfect introduction to MMO's for me in 2004. I've yet to find another game where grouping is encouraged so much, i made many lasting friendships that have stuck through the years and games thanks to CoH.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by xmechnain a funny way (tinfoil hat) i could draw the conclusion that  soe paid them to shut Coh/Cov down (tinfoil hat)

Naw.  Marvel, maybe.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Lustmord
    They needed the server hardware for GuildWars 2. lol

I kind of rather doubt that :)  the reality is greed,as always.

I understand your frustration, but they run these games for profit.. They don't do it for charity.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• xmechnaxmechna Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Form a line, behind the EaB guys, the SWG guys, etc.

No pushing or shoving in the queue, please.

im with the swg pre cu group and now with the  Coh group.

i shall treat soe and ncsoft products like they have cansiflaids  never again to grace my hdd image

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

I understand your frustration, but they run these games for profit.. They don't do it for charity.

Maybe, but it seems to have been done on bad timing, hasty and not much thought.

The time when they decided to shut it down was from stats before GW2 was released and GW1 was riding high. Since GW2 release GW1 has dropped loads as people migrated over to GW2.

Also since they only changed the game F2P last year, which must have cost them loads of money to do, as altered the games miission system mainly from the start, and not just made it F2P, it does not send good vibes from this decision and puts doubts about the survival of any other MMO too. They should have kept it going for 3 years as F2P at least or not bothered and just shut it down.

The decision to shut down COH has not been good to NC Soft at all, and seems to be backfiring on them

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6267.0.html

Fifth of all, I am not giving up hope that we'll still be able to acquire City of Heroes at some point. Right now, NCsoft is suffering a massive PR black eye (gee, really?) for their unwillingness to sell or license the IP for reasonable terms. I've heard some of the terms they were demanding, and they really are unreasonable. Needless to say, claiming that they had "exhausted all efforts" was disingenuous at best. People have been taking to their Facebook, Twitter, and other public pages to let the larger gaming community know what's going on. While I'm not directly leading those efforts, as a gamer myself, I have been encouraging people to share how they feel to other communities so that even if City of Heroes can't be saved, it gives game publishers a heavy dose of reality to chew on.

And speaking of NCsoft, they're not doing so well right now. Their stock price is currently down to 169,000 KRW. The 52-week low? That's right, 169,000 KRW. They are a whopping 52.5% off their 52-week high and have been consistently falling almost since the closure of City of Heroes was announced. While I don't think that investors care so much about City of Heroes specifically, I do think that they are taking note that it represents NCsoft's floundering presence in the North American market. While Guild Wars 2 launched to much fanfare, I honestly don't think it will be the stable long-term source of income that City of Heroes was, and there is a lot of negative attention being given to Blade and Soul even before it launches.

I mention all of this because if NCsoft goes bankrupt or is sold to some kind of holding company, there's a distinct possibility that the IP and/or code base could be acquired at liquidation or fire sale price. It's definitely something that we are keeping a very close eye on and hopeful about.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The sad thing is gw2 is probably the closest modern game to coh, with its low gear dependancy, casual friendliness, easy grouping and state based combat system.

Tsw would cover the modern setting, role play and simmilar combat bases, with an equally interesting though very different character progression system. But then its much more hardcore focussed at end game than coh.

Lotro would cover the rp too.

But there's no modern mmo that caters to coh core audience - casual & role play with complex character development and huge character creator.
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

The players' movement has good evidence that the motives for the closure aren't economic.  They are political.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• psiicatpsiicat Member Posts: 29
    The lawsuits were the death blow. Too many players creating copyrighted characters, and CoH getting sued for them. Blame the players not NC
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Seriously, how long has EQ1 been around? That can't be a big profit item for them yet they are still going strong and have tons of expansion packs. See this is where I see the problem with free to play. Sure you might do good for a few years, but when people quit buying stuff, there is no income coming in. What they should have done was stay sub based but maybe lower the sub cost some.

I am sorry to see COH go. While I havent played in a while, it was a pretty fun game. There was one thing that always bugged me about both COH and COV and that was 40+ the game was so fun 1-39. As soon as you get 40+ though the villians scaled way higher in power then they should have, compared to the rest of the game. I sure did love flying around the cities though. Lots of fun there!

EQ still has a very loyal playerbase, probably much larger than CoH.

Also SoE keeps their games as long as possible so they can promote the Station Pass, even if 75% of the games are terrible.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by psiicat
    The lawsuits were the death blow. Too many players creating copyrighted characters, and CoH getting sued for them. Blame the players not NC

Didn't this end like 4+ years ago?  NCSOFT and Marvel came to some sort of agreement out of court a long time ago, possibly even before Cryptic broke off from NCsoft.

Edit:  After a bit of research, this was settled way back in 2005.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119

It simply did not deserve its fate, the game was profitable and doing well, as of yet i still have no idea why they closed it. but as someone above stated, it probably was for political reasons, money was not the issue.

NClimp shares are at an all time low right now and  still dropping, and i do hope the company dies.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Wrong because not enough people play to support it?

If the game was any good and had a subscriber base to support its staying open then it would stay open but alas it doesnt so it wont.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• spitfire1064spitfire1064 Member Posts: 61

Your wrong, I was a active player and there was a huge following and player base......oh and also it was a great game.

Was on last night until the end. R.I.P COH.

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by rojo6934

the best super-hero game ever, the best character creation ever, the most engrossing story-line,the greatest community, the most fun game,innovative in the 1st degree. 

i played it as free to play a few times and i found it OK, bad old graphics with some slow skill activation that felt a bit clunky but still a good game, i liked it for what it was. However, i never heard anyone saying these things while the game was alive, ever. I noticed the same with SWG, while the game was alive nobody said it was the best until it was shut down with low population

except with SWG the population was growing. That gam,e shut down purely to leave TOR with no competition for Star Wars fans

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by darkehawke
    Originally posted by rojo6934

the best super-hero game ever, the best character creation ever, the most engrossing story-line,the greatest community, the most fun game,innovative in the 1st degree. 

i played it as free to play a few times and i found it OK, bad old graphics with some slow skill activation that felt a bit clunky but still a good game, i liked it for what it was. However, i never heard anyone saying these things while the game was alive, ever. I noticed the same with SWG, while the game was alive nobody said it was the best until it was shut down with low population

except with SWG the population was growing. That gam,e shut down purely to leave TOR with no competition for Star Wars fans

Both CoH and SWG suffered from the same issue.  They belonged to a company portfolio that demanded more return than they could generate.  In the hands of a smaller team with a smaller portfolio, both games would be great successes.  The larger a company is, the more return each venture needs to generate to support it.  Minecraft would probably have never become what it is today if EA or SOE owned it, simply because its early sales were not strong enough.  But for Notch, they were astronomical.  A small room of developers and a single lead simply don't need as much forward motion to keep a rising 401K and insurance options along with yearly raises to be happy.  Business the size of EA or SOE have layers of management to support, and its not something they can just get rid of.  Once a business starts to branch out heavily you have to have management over each branch.  That extra cost alone really drives up the overhead. 

That isn't to say there would have been financial issues the year those games closed.  It does mean that they would not hold up over the coming years.  A company can't afford to wait until they are in the red to start addressing problems.  They have to clear failing accounts and start new ones BEFORE that happens or suffer massive layoffs and losing investors.  Its a tight game you play in the business world.  What I find offensive is that in both cases the company behind them would not turn the portfolio over to someone else for a profit.  Even selling CoH for 100K would have paid a year of salary for a developer or two, or 2-4 bottom tier entry level workers.  It would have made the transition to a new portfolio easier, and made them look better.  Sometimes you gotta know when to bite the bullet.  Holding the IP in the hopes of making new product from it later is noble, but only if you seriously intend to try.  They don't, its just a case of thinking you can get more out of it (CoH) or not wanting the market competition (SWG).  The bottom line for me is :  If you think your current game is too good to allow your new game to work then you need to just improve your current game.  And for NCSoft...sometimes its just better to be the good guy.  If you can't float a game we love, thats okay.  I understand that, I know how things are on your end.  But if you have an option that makes you some money, AND lets your fans keep something they love...its better to just let it go than eat a PR fireball.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    @Gish i think you atribute too much to both the players and ideal developers. They were both great games but it wouldnt have mattered what mistakes were made or avoided, neither would ever have been hugely popular.
  • GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    @Gish i think you atribute too much to both the players and ideal developers. They were both great games but it wouldnt have mattered what mistakes were made or avoided, neither would ever have been hugely popular.

A thing does not have to be hugely popular to be both a financial success and a thing worth keeping.  Its about what needs the company behind it has.  It took EVE years to get the players it has now.  But for all that time it was a very nice success for that company because they did not require the same level of profit that companies such as NCSoft or EA would.  The problem always falls to who is in control of the product.  You need a smaller company in control for a niche product to be desireable.  Once again, this is why Minecraft has been able to turn into what it now is.  Small, new company.  The growth of the game was insane for them...but would have been considered just barely enough to consider keeping on subscription for AAA MMO groups. 

Once upon a time, having even 300K players was considered a great and notable win for these people.  The groups in charge of those games were much smaller, independant companies.  Now you have larger parent companies in charge.   You can't just say that being hugely popular is all that matters, because in today's market that standard has risen over 400%.  2001 - huge MMO is 500K.  Today - huge MMO is 2 million or better.  I realize that inflation and market recesses have to be considered, but you also have to realize that a small group of people have still proven to make good money from a small in scope project simply by understanding their market and planning around it.  We NEED to get this market away from large teams backed by giant parent corps that have their hands in tons of other markets.  This genre cannot survive that portfolio and the demands upon it.

Now is the time for the indie uprising.  And it would be an ideal time for some of these large guys to take note and begin liquidating their IP's.  Yes it sucks to sell an IP for far less than you bought it for.  Even worse to sell something you loved and created.  That is far better than doing what they ARE doing, which is sitting on loss.  In the very least the partial return could be reinvested into something that will support a larger in scope demand.  Instead, they are just leaving a bad taste in the mouths of everyone that might consider playing their games. 

Look at it like this...

An MMO gamer is looking at playing a new venture for years.  Years upon years.  Now, on the one hand you have a group of guys that still have their games running.  The other group has closed 3 games after 8 years or less.  Yes, all things come and go.  But who are you gonna feel safe gambling your time with?  I also reject the ideal that games come and go.  That is a load of shit.  People are STILL BUYING TETRIS.  I've personally bought a Sonic port 7 times.  I also resubbed to CoH 3 times through its lifetime.  Games do not just go away.  Great games stay forever.  People just leave them for a bit.  But a gamer always comes back.  Always.  Hell, Nintendo has been reselling the same games with a touch up or two for AGES.  No, MMO's DON"T have to just come and go.  That is a load of bull.

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Gishgeron

Now is the time for the indie uprising. 

It would be nice to see.  When CoH was being developed, it was a fairly small studio by today's standards.  Heck, today Cryptic (back then) would be considered a small indie outfit but back then, CoH was considered a AAA MMO.

Smaller budgets mean expectations that are realistic, not 1 million subs in the first month.  And of course, they will be able to experiment more.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I think I'm with you there, Gishgeron.  Publishing and administrative bloat is what, ultimately, killed this game.

Now I do have to give big name publishing and development some credit.  They created high quality products that expanded the reach of this form of entertainment.  Now it seems like the most productive force in online gaming has become the most destructive force in online gaming.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193
    Gave CoH 4+ years of my life.  Was sad to hear it ended, and I had missed the final fight. 

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Yes its sad to see another world go. But it ran for 8 years which is really respectable for mmos. Remember people just because mmos seem to be "endless" they truly arnt. If the game was so good then it wouldnt have been shut down, the Superhero genre is extremely niche and it didnt bring in enough money to keep it going. NCsoft can use the money it was using on CoH and push more modern titles such as Blade and Soul. 

What really bothers me is the people wishing death and injury of ncsoft, get over it, its a game....

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• pikabko1pikabko1 Member Posts: 1

all that this is show to prove that the level A stocks is going to die.. it all ready fallen at least min $50.00 by the end of 2012 and will contiune to drop

also note Nc Soft no longer got any right to take our money for Guildwars 2 or any itherr MMORPG if we all agree to do this functions

1) never to log on to NC soft account any more

2) do not buy any NC SOFT games

)3) never visit fake  links like www.cityofhereos.ca

4)do not support The TITAN NETWORK FORUMS the creater of fake copy right fake downloads.  Selling city of heores to disney and so on. and promote starting City of heroes when they have no plans. I got email to prove it. that disgusting email was for me however its for all of us City of Heroes fans,. we all have the right to know

4) No big corp got the stupid rights to change the constitution rights and Freedom of free speech . if any one got problem of  that I had said talk to congress about it only Congress can change things for better or for the worse. not NCSOFT not COHTITAN NETWORK FORMS and not MMORPG.com if I get suspened I redo a new account Feedom of rights

Now about the death of City of Heroes. the excuses was stupid and not called for.  lets say a billion dollars of City of Heroes fans keep paying NCSOFT for the discs, time cards and Paragon studio point shop for the 7 to 8 years do not  have the rights to move the money  form city of Heroes to Guildwars 2

hhey are going to have a hard time to hide from that now since now I told the real deal. and 2nd we are no longer paying NCSOFT anything any more and 3rd al lthe money is spent  my Big question is on this part of the mater is why use NCSOFT money to create Guildwars 2 when they can use our money from City of Heroes. did not get no refund as they claimed to do. they did say they will issue refund. hell no I did not get any. and I did not ask for it any way.

all I can do is tell the facts and the truth. in hopes to put the hazard warnings about NC soft. in hopes to put more damage to there pocket book exchange program they got going on there that is going badly with out my support

my duty is clear to to report what ever info I can find and post it some place.

lots of corp levle hot shots hate my guts well its true. I have a hard core argument up there ass.  i tell the truth to stop doing that its rude to tax payer costumers.. I tell the truth and yet contiune to do so with out my warnings. Amazing.

the consumers are the King. no customers no big corp. look what happed to Comp USA screw customers left and right and nation wide Close shop. people got smart  not to do any more dealings with Comp USA that is one example its the fact sell bad TV or a bad computer that its mail goal is to be dead in the entire production line. why sell what dose not work?

examole Sony PSP 3D display. that never worked. yet big dealers still sell dead product line.

city of Hereos play free forever! well forever is suck a strong word. Nc Soft lied. its not free why in the bloody hell who wrritten this crap it cost money to run City of Heroes. nothing is free. No such thing as FREE LUNCH?

• cityofheroessavecityofheroessave Member Posts: 23

Yes Sir! I stoped as well. you got my support may be we can work as a team to get some ideas on the round table..

A) Mod city of Heroes freedom to include iusse 24 and have cityofhereos.exe to work with out the nclancher.

to do away from Online  servers and online contracts.  Go do a log in with out internet ISP or servers

get access to all the names of all the servers off line. and install unlimited toons. on all the names Freedom,

so on and so forth. unlimited level ups. after all. Killing Giant monsters solo I find that rather fantastic!  and At Level 100

Yeh what to about PVP Kills. how about doing Elete Bosses to take replace of online PVP kills in PVP zones.

I cannot wait for the Titanforums to do what ever. I left them flat out. I got had enough fancy blah blah blah.

abouit bout this idea

B) Push Cryptic Studios to get Coity of Hereos Freedom issue 24 well to get the game started. and what if well all the members of COH push hard enough. doing everyhing get the law to help us.

This idea

Push NCSOFT to move COH to The Paragon Studios. I know they are going to love that. they put there love and hard work before the game was released.

I mor e then happy to talk

however geting action done is far harder and expensive go buy a MMORPG licence. that is why my off the internet idea comes in. cut cost and still get the job done,.