Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DarkFall Questions, Former Darktide Player.

Spector88Spector88 Member UncommonPosts: 112

Former long time Asheron's Call Darktide player (open world, loot drop, full pvp). I remember when Darkfall came out ( DF 1 ) Probably 25-30% of the Darktide population including well known top players dropped out to play the NEXT-GEN full drop open world PvP MMO.

I held off, at the time I believe I was strapped for cash (not anymore) and I heard about how fail a launch it was. Like terrible terrible, launch, servers down constantly etc.

Years later I tried the free trial, read up on it (Was missing Darktide) and heard it turned into a fairly decent game, the problem being the huge grind gap in players. I logged in, and kinda thought it was neat but was met with a fairly empty world, by this tim ethe game was fairly old, and decided the grind gap wasn't interesting me. So I just stopped playing.

-

I heard about DF:UW about 3 months ago, I've been following it weekly, I havent seen as much information out on it as I'd like, and other than watching youtube videos of DF1, I don't know a ton about the game. The whole Naval battles thing doesn't interest me, as I primarily enjoy PvE/Ground based PvP/ and the idea of building a city sounds pretty cool.

I guess my question is, is there ANY end game PvE announced for this game, is there like epic loot or sweet items to always be seeking, or is it mostly tier loot everyone tries to get the same exact items, and when you die sometimes you lose them and then farm more.

I guess can someone (esp. if you played Darktide) eloborate on the pro's / con's on DF:UW as we can tell, what the PvE will be like, is there dungeons/caves? I guess im kinda wanting a open world, traditional type MMO with open PvP. But Darkfall from what I've seen is like a gimmicky FPS with a huge open world, and some random monsters all over.

And lastly, how much better do people thing DF:UW will be over DF1, because basically DF1 wasn't much of a success.

Comments

• XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by Spector88

Former long time Asheron's Call Darktide player (open world, loot drop, full pvp). I remember when Darkfall came out ( DF 1 ) Probably 25-30% of the Darktide population including well known top players dropped out to play the NEXT-GEN full drop open world PvP MMO.

I held off, at the time I believe I was strapped for cash (not anymore) and I heard about how fail a launch it was. Like terrible terrible, launch, servers down constantly etc.

Years later I tried the free trial, read up on it (Was missing Darktide) and heard it turned into a fairly decent game, the problem being the huge grind gap in players. I logged in, and kinda thought it was neat but was met with a fairly empty world, by this tim ethe game was fairly old, and decided the grind gap wasn't interesting me. So I just stopped playing.

-

I heard about DF:UW about 3 months ago, I've been following it weekly, I havent seen as much information out on it as I'd like, and other than watching youtube videos of DF1, I don't know a ton about the game. The whole Naval battles thing doesn't interest me, as I primarily enjoy PvE/Ground based PvP/ and the idea of building a city sounds pretty cool.

I guess my question is, is there ANY end game PvE announced for this game, is there like epic loot or sweet items to always be seeking, or is it mostly tier loot everyone tries to get the same exact items, and when you die sometimes you lose them and then farm more.

I guess can someone (esp. if you played Darktide) eloborate on the pro's / con's on DF:UW as we can tell, what the PvE will be like, is there dungeons/caves? I guess im kinda wanting a open world, traditional type MMO with open PvP. But Darkfall from what I've seen is like a gimmicky FPS with a huge open world, and some random monsters all over.

And lastly, how much better do people thing DF:UW will be over DF1, because basically DF1 wasn't much of a success.

It doesn't have much PvE in the way you seem to be looking. PvE is a means to an end in Darkfall, not the other way around. The end-game is PvP and generally having some territorial control over PvE spawns will mean a lot on UW release but did not mean anything in DF1 years down the road.  To say Darkfall wasn't a success wouldn't really be correct, as more people played Darkfall than Darktide. It's just a niche game, and the developers stated that many times prior to releasing DF1.

Unholy Wars is a different beast from DF1. They're trying to make the game more enjoyable to the masses. They've given different camera options, a system that is less twitch and more skill/spell decision, reworked the UI, and so forth. The game is literally a different game, with the same ruleset. They have said that they reworked the PvE dungeons to include more 'boss-like' fights on each tier of each dungeon. I wouldn't expect much as far as that goes, but I would expect the dungeons to be PvP hubs on release.

As for loot, no one really knows yet in Unholy Wars as it has not been brought up(afaik). DF1 PvE loot didn't mean anything as far as useable items go, but the enchanting and crafting materials meant a lot. If you wanted certain enchants you had to farm certain mobs. There were 5 different qualities of enchanting materials and a good amount of materials of each quality. So while the weapons/armor the PvE mobs dropped wasn't near as good as the crafted versions, the materials you got from those same PvE mobs was very useful.

If you want an open world, there's really not many games out there with a true open world. Darkfall is one of them. There is no instancing at all, anywhere, for anything. Housing, Cities, PvE, PvP, crafting, trading, logitistics, it's all in the same world. The world is more company in Unholy Wars, they eliminated a lot of open ocean that was never used, but it is still large enough that you're not going to want to take a run from one side of the world to another in one day.

Darkfall 1.0 did eventually turn into people generally going for 2-3 different gearsets, but that was a flaw in the game that was acknowledged and who knows if it will be changed. I expect it will be because the last thing they wanted in DF was for everyone to look and play the same. The game is very diverse in every MMO category and on release of Unholy Wars I wouldn't expect anyone to be doing the same thing.

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

as far as i'm concerned "raid bosses" in DF UW should drop only very unique armor/weappon mats and not actual pieces of gear/weappons.

you should still have to take those mats, combine them with other high end mats to be able to craft the best/highest gear in the game.  

to answer your question: only time will tell how good DF UW will be. Aventurine has shown a willingness to listen and change. hopefully they changed for the better, but it's impossible to say until the game actually launches.  

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by Spector88

-

Hey man thanks for your interest in the game.  I played Darkfall for 2 years up until the last day before they shut it down.

I'll address your questions with a list:

1.  The PvE in DF:UW will be very similar to the PvE in Darkfall 1.  There are mobs scattered around everywhere in the world with varying difficulty.  The hardest mobs in DF1 were the Demon and Fire Dragon, both of which took a little group coordination to kill (at least at first).  There are many dungeons which have portals to enter them, but they are not instanced. Anyone (or group) can jump you in a dungeon at any time.  DF:UW will have (according to AV) at least 1 large scale boss on each continent of the game (there's 5 continents).  In DF1 there was only the 2 big mobs I mentioned before (there were a couple others like the Ice Dragon and Kraken but they weren't worth doing).

To be honest, Darkfall isn't the best PvE game as that is not its focus.  In DF1 PvE was basically there to provide materials and gold to fund PvP'ing.  I'd expect DF:UW to be done a little better, but still the same concept.

2.  Darkfall is as far from the traditional MMO as you can get.  You aim everything, it is focused on PvP (from solo PvP to hundreds of players vs. hundreds of players), you lose everything on your body when you die, and most importantly there is risk associated with everything you do in the game.  This risk vs. reward concept is the driving idea behind Darkfall and is what makes the game great.

3.  DF:UW is going to be a whole different beast compared to DF1.  By the time DF1 ended, the grind was completely removed from the game.  You could create a character and have every ability and stat in the game maxxed to 100 in about a week.  While DF:UW won't be that fast for everything, the time to being PvP viable will be that fast.  Because of the role system, you will only need level one build to be PvP viable.  I'd expect this to take a couple weeks of solid gameplay.  However, a 2 week investment is nothing compared to when you played Darkfall, when it could quite literally take a year to even be considered PvP viable.

DF:UW is a complete bottom up redesign of the original game.  They took everything that didn't work from the first game and fixed it for the second.  They wrote a new engine for the game to fix load lag and to make the game more easily modifiable and manageable.  This is a completely new game with all the old Darkfall features that worked...and massively improved versions of the features that didn't work.

The launch of the game is going to be rough just like the first time.  If you decide to try it out, please remember that no MMO in the history of the genre has had a perfectly smooth launch, even companies that have tens of millions of dollars at their disposal.  AV is a company of less than 40 people and doesn't have the money or experience to ensure a smooth launch.  If you decide to try the game at launch, please be reasonable with your expectations and not let a bad launch experience ruin the game for you.  When the game gets off the ground, it will be the best MMO ever made without a doubt.  Just give it time.

Thanks for reading.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Grind gap was a mental problem for players more than a mechanics problem in game.

People felt that if they only were maxed out, and the guy who killed them MUST be maxed since they died..that only then would pvp be good.

Oh...so many players got to max and then were still bad at pvp.  I know i was one of them, lack of experience fighting in first person view was a nightmare for me, along with GUI managment which the game was terrible with.

Everything about DF was very fractional, where maxing a skill was a matter of 10 dmg kind of stuff, meaning each increase was less than 1 dmg.

One missed shot negated all your grind gap, and people miss all the time.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Grind gap was a mental problem for players more than a mechanics problem in game.

People felt that if they only were maxed out, and the guy who killed them MUST be maxed since they died..that only then would pvp be good.

Oh...so many players got to max and then were still bad at pvp.  I know i was one of them, lack of experience fighting in first person view was a nightmare for me, along with GUI managment which the game was terrible with.

Everything about DF was very fractional, where maxing a skill was a matter of 10 dmg kind of stuff, meaning each increase was less than 1 dmg.

I wonder about the excuses in DF:UW .  Wait..i know.. it will be..... you role is unbanlanced ...lol

AV will have lots of fun with the endless ..nerf this role...nerf the other role..renerf this role even further ...

That is the outcome if AV's service  depend on PvP alone (with so much FPS games around it will be also tough enough to hold them anyway) and dont have any other customer ;)

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• NC360NC360 Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

1) The grind was desired by people without jobs, so that they can get ahead character-wise over people who have lives.

2)  People wanted the game to be more skill-based, than just character progression based.

3) Most people quit because of the grind; it was too boring.

4) Unholy Wars isn't going to be extremely grind based, so you will be forced to fight without many advantages, which will help to show who is in fact better, versus who played the game the most. Which is a good thing.

That is all.