Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was I thinking??!!??

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

The question on the table is 'What games were you playing 5 or 10 or ..... years ago, that you loved, and look back now and say "What was I thinking??!!??"

I had this thought because a topic came up about movies and what we enjoyed years back, but watched again, and didn't see the pull it had on you back then.  (For me it was Blade Runner.  I still like it, but it definitely didn't have the staying power as far as my perception is concerned.

Eh, em,

Back on topic.  What was I thinking back then??!!?? was: UO (Herecy, I know)  I still think it is a good game, but the let's be honest.  It was high on Sandbox (Which I like), but the mechanics just aren't there for me anymore.

Disclaimer:  

Understand.  This topic isn't meant to mean what are you playing now v. then.  It is the opposite of the threads about your all time favorite, or what game did you like back in the day... etc, etc.  It is also not meant to be a 'I've always hated it, and I still hate it' threads.  Please don't crush me too bad for the UO thing?

I'm curious to see what people say.  I had to actually do some thinking on what mine was.  I've played so many.  Some good, some bad, some... meh

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    I liked evony when it first came out.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

The question on the table is 'What games were you playing 5 or 10 or ..... years ago, that you loved, and look back now and say "What was I thinking??!!??"

I had this thought because a topic came up about movies and what we enjoyed years back, but watched again, and didn't see the pull it had on you back then.  (For me it was Blade Runner.  I still like it, but it definitely didn't have the staying power as far as my perception is concerned.

Eh, em,

Back on topic.  What was I thinking back then??!!?? was: UO (Herecy, I know)  I still think it is a good game, but the let's be honest.  It was high on Sandbox (Which I like), but the mechanics just aren't there for me anymore.

Disclaimer:  

Understand.  This topic isn't meant to mean what are you playing now v. then.  It is the opposite of the threads about your all time favorite, or what game did you like back in the day... etc, etc.  It is also not meant to be a 'I've always hated it, and I still hate it' threads.  Please don't crush me too bad for the UO thing?

I'm curious to see what people say.  I had to actually do some thinking on what mine was.  I've played so many.  Some good, some bad, some... meh

For shame - Blade Runner only gets better as time passes! :) More mature, more truthful, and ever the more original as it gets copied and recopied.

Anyway, onto games... I'd agree with UO, only I didn't like it much back then, either. I liked Lineage 1 then got bored quickly, but that's not exactly shocking I guess.

Well I did like Diablo, and I have vivid memories of being absolutely thrilled running its dungeons. I think I just lost that - I couldn't play an ARPG and enjoy it for any meaningful length of time now.

• Psy410Psy410 Member Posts: 70

I always admired this game but then I finally tried it and my first impression was something similar to this and I got disappointed, I probably was unfair to the game, I didn't really give it a fair shot, so I will try it again sometime but maybe not, I don't hate it but I did asked myself this question.

(the name of the game is Lineage II)

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

I'm not sure if i can pinpoint a game that makes me say, "what was i thinking".   In retrospect, they all seem to have been appropriate to the times. 

I mean, I have tried to go back and play some games through Dosbox and I just can't do it now as they seem so primitive.  If that is the thinking then perhaps the Gold Box series.   The story was there in it's fashion.  The combat now is not playable to me.  But at the time they were simply fantastic.

I remember I was so ecstatic to try Master of Orion 2 after loving MOO1 and I didn't like it.  I guess that could be a What Was I Thinking moment.

Maybe Betrayal at Antara too.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Loved UO , don't regret playing it.  Much deeper MMORPG than most, if not all, which have come since..

Spent far too much time with Diablo 2.  Loved it at the time, haven't enjoyed that style of game since.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    L2 at release, although I am actually glad that I stuck with it. However, if a game released now with the bots and farmers like L2 had at release, I would definitely pass on it. Not worth the aggravation.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Quake 3 Arena is mine.  It was such a rush in terms of environment, but I look back on it now in terms of gameplay and fail to see how I played it as long as I did.  Perhaps the transition from FPS to RPG is what changed me.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • HedakeHedake Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I may be in the minority here but most games I played 10 years ago had more thought and effort put into their development than the gameplay I see in current games. 
  • 207312207312 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    I don't really regret much. I've played games I like over the years, and perhaps the only game I would only slightly regret playing was hello kitty island adventure when I was 4.