Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Wizardry Online: New Wikia Content Sneak Peek

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment and the Wizardry Online team have partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers and advanced look at new Wikia updates that are scheduled to go live at 3:00 p.m. PST (6:00 EST). Check out the latest information about permadeath, inns, inventory and much, much more!

When your character dies, it will first become a Corpse. This is the easiest to recover from. However, your character may instantly turn to Ash if they died in a high-voltage attack/area. If you fail to revive after being a corpse, you’ll be turned to Ash. However, if you fail to revive after being Ash, your character will be Lost. Lost is permadeath. If a character is Lost, they will then not be able to be played again and you will lose all of their belongings. After that you’ll have to delete that character to free up the character slot.

Read more of our exclusive first look: Wizardry Online: New Wikia Content Sneak Peek.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Tbia88Tbia88 Member UncommonPosts: 12

I am on the fence about this... One I LOVE the idea of death meaning something. Two, I don't know how I would personally handle it if I died.

This game is for sure one to watch.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,488
    I couldn't get into it myself. The NDA lifted yesterday so I can comment on it now. The controls didn't feel right somehow and the animations and graphics seemed very outdated. It only lasted about 45 minutes on my hard drive.
  • CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66

Game is now ejoyed only by a few people I think they are more of a masohists than hardcore.

First of all game has outdated desing and engine. Gameplay is horrible and broken with constant interuption of long 5-10 unskippable dialog sequences. This application delivers some unique features but forgets to include worthwile game along with them.

In this "thing" permadeath doesn't mean what it should you don't loose everything. It means that you will still retain all of your quest progress with many powerful bonuses you just start at level one and need to get some gear by grindfest.

Hardcore means that you will die to random shit ussualy on one or 2 hits which includes enemy players.

Open world PvP with full looting means you are gonna constantly find yourself sorrounded by overwhelming number of teamed up griefers  aka PK guilds who spend most of their time running low level dungeons killing weak and alone players for their loot. Stun ensnare and fly away wow style ? not a chance... you see a pk group you are gonna die and loose all stuff on you so much fun :3 Now you think maybe I can escape one or two PK'ers ... forget about it one hit and you are out of your boots. 

This game may work for few people but for all the rest it's just horrible dissaster and mmorpg.com is slowly loosing respect by promoting it. I hope we won't see  it out of closed beta because many people remember Wizardry name as good old thing and that is way better than new crap thing.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by cypeq86

Game is now ejoyed only by a few people I think they are more of a masohists than hardcore.

Very bias comment.. and contradictory, since you know that you dont lose everything if you die and permadeath in this game is rare, unless you are un-prepared.

First of all game has outdated desing and engine. Gameplay is horrible and broken with constant interuption of long 5-10 unskippable dialog sequences. This application delivers some unique features but forgets to include worthwile game along with them.

Yes graphics are oudated and animation are worse, dont forget this game was made 10 years ago in japan and sony decided to buy the right to publish it outside japan.

Gameplay is fine, the cutscene are annoying but simply at first since later on they are rare. This game is not for everyone but they are people like me who enjoy some real rpg for a change, im not saying it's perfect cause it really not, still i enjoy it so far for some hours gameplay there and there.

In this "thing" permadeath doesn't mean what it should you don't loose everything. It means that you will still retain all of your quest progress with many powerful bonuses you just start at level one and need to get some gear by grindfest.

This again just prove your first sentence was a contradiction. You say people who play it are masochist but not hardcore but you seem to prefer real permadeath where you lose everything.. I cant understand where you go with this.

Hardcore means that you will die to random shit ussualy on one or 2 hits which includes enemy players.

But in this game you do die by random thing, traps are unforgiven sometimes and you can get kill by one hits from enemy, in the second dungeon there is a mob who will kill you in 1 hits if you go near him, you just need to be careful in this game and for me that where the fun is. I just dont rush mindlessly dungeon like any other modern mmo.

Open world PvP with full looting means you are gonna constantly find yourself sorrounded by overwhelming number of teamed up griefers  aka PK guilds who spend most of their time running low level dungeons killing weak and alone players for their loot. Stun ensnare and fly away wow style ? not a chance... you see a pk group you are gonna die and loose all stuff on you so much fun :3 Now you think maybe I can escape one or two PK'ers ... forget about it one hit and you are out of your boots. 

First that false, if you see a group and believe me you will see them coming if you are careful, you RUN like hell, you sheath your weapons and run.

Second in the lower dungeon you cant really get a perma-death since the % of getting ressurect is very high, plus you can give cheap items to raise it or even gold.

The looting is not instant, they cant loot you entire body, its 1 item per time and it took time, i got pk 2 times and the player could just steal me 2 items and they where cheap weapons from lower dungeon. The looter cant see exactly what he looting, he must identify them after.

This game may work for few people but for all the rest it's just horrible dissaster and mmorpg.com is slowly loosing respect by promoting it. I hope we won't see  it out of closed beta because many people remember Wizardry name as good old thing and that is way better than new crap thing.

Well again you can hate this game i could care less but you post is very bias. and for what i read about it, you probably play less then 30 minutes and that why your comment are not accurate. Anyway i enjoy this game so too bad you dont.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by cypeq86

I haven't seen anything to indicate that is will be the case, though. If you really look at the mechanics of the criminal system, you'll see that as PVP becomes more prevalent, the PVPers become more of a detriment to themselves than to others. Rampant PKing is a playstyle that cannot sustain itself on an individual or server-wide level.

Here's an overview of the system and how it keeps PVP in check by ultimately making it self-destructive and counter-productive before it becomes a burden on the rest of the playerbase.

The Wizardry Vault: Seeing Red

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

This game is incredibly awesome. 

• It does not hand-hold you.
    • It provides a chilling atmosphere and actual dungeons that feel like dungeons instead of grind places.
    • It punishes you for failure and rewards you for success.
    • Its as close to Wizardry franchise ideas as a mmorpg game can get - just replace the party system with other players. Everything else - difficulty, deceptive traps and tactical approach to encounters - everything is still there. 
    I love, love love, love this so far. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I think it is interesting to see how the carebears cry when a game is not made for them. The game has risk, some of us like that. Grow a pair and give it a try. You might find you like fearing you could lose everything at any moment.

• PsyentistPsyentist Member UncommonPosts: 46

Permadeath is not a problem in this game, really, its probably easier than most mmos on death because you have free range to find a shrine (which are plentiful, to say the least) for 12 hours.  If you don't find one, in twelve hours, you turn to ash, and get another 12 hours.  This is online time only and as a ghost theres even an option to automatically return to the last shrine you activated once per 12 hours.... So really the only threat of permadeath is resurrecting with a low chance of sucess which can be avoided by plugging items (any) into the shrine.

All that being said, this game is extremely ordinary otherwise.  Fetch quests galore, repeating starts before even lvl 10, very stiff controls which harken back to 1990s PC rpg controls, and horrid glow effects in the graphics are supposed to hide the drab dungeons.  As much as I wanted to like it, or relive past Wizardry games, this game is more suited to the Korean cafe crowd than the west.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I didn't even know this game had pvp because the first 10 minutes of it is so awful I couldn't take anymore.  The graphics look like vaseline smeared over my monitor with no option to clean it up, behind the vaseline smear it looks like a Playstation 2 game emulated on my PC. 

Gameplay wise it's slow, clunky, not fun at all.  How anyone can even make it through the tutorial without barfinstalling is beyond me.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182
    wow this look very promising feature wise, finally .
  • picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by adam_nox

I didn't even know this game had pvp because the first 10 minutes of it is so awful I couldn't take anymore.  The graphics look like vaseline smeared over my monitor with no option to clean it up, behind the vaseline smear it looks like a Playstation 2 game emulated on my PC. 

LOL yeah it's David Hamilton on extacy... What bothers me almost more is it's fanboys who talk every kind of critics into "carebeer" or "not wanting permadeath" even if the critics clearly state the opposite. This game seem not only to smeer your monitor, it also seems to wash some brains...
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Gameplay wise it's slow, clunky, not fun at all.  How anyone can even make it through the tutorial without barfinstalling is beyond me.

The game itself is both challenging and refreshingly different from most MMOs, however I completely agree that the first 10-15 minutes are horrible. I'm curious as to what is so dramatically different between the two gaming cultures that the slow, unskippable cut scenes are acceptable or even remotely interesting to Japanese players.

If you get further in, watch the cut scenes with the thief and don't skip those. They explain the criminal system. For me, they were also entertaining.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

this game is very fun ...but do not expect to play this one Solo

Stay in town for a while and Talk to people...try to join a guild or Ask for help

having fun with this game soo far but it is IMPOSSIBLE to solo in this game

so do not try to play this game solo haha meet people and have fun

• Phnx187Phnx187 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I personally am enjoying this game. Yea the graphics and animations aren't amazing, I spent the first 15 minutes of gametime saying "I'm gonna uninstall this shit in like 5 minutes". But really once you get past the beginning it is quite challenging. For those of you who are complaining I am noticing you are not worthy of giving the game an ACTUAL review and do not speak to other people interested in the game with your mindless ignorant statements. I have played the game for a few days now and got PK'd 3 times. Boohoo I lost some crap I didn't even care about. The people PKing can only take 1 item and they don't even know what they are taking. Also the game is challenging, however mundane you may think the quest/missions are. I can't wait to see the challenges ahead. So what if you lose all your shit, you just get new shit. When you like a game it isn't a big deal to play it again! You also keep your soul level which has good bonuses that make starting over less painful. Oh and about the vaseline on your computer, you guys should maybe stop jacking off on your screen, cuz I don't know wtf you are talking about. Like I said the graphics aren't great but it's not nearly as horrible as you make it seem. Keep talkin like you never went back to play final fantasy 7, look at those fucking graphics dude. That game still shits on any game you could EVER even DREAM of making. So shit in your chair and shut up. This game is for some people, obviously not you. Furthermore I cannot wait to see what this game becomes on release, polished well, this could be a great game. Those of you who are called carebears, you are called that for a reason. Learn it, embrace it, there are hundreds of games for you, now fuck off.
  • Cain_huCain_hu Member UncommonPosts: 2

I tried this game myself, and sadly, it's really a disappointment.

I don't mind the permadeath the way it's implemented nor the full PvP. I never intended WO to my main MMO, just to play it as something else from time to time. But after one play I cannot find a reson to try again.

- the game is really boring. There is no interesting story, nor an immersive world just somewhat bland dungeons.

- the cutscenes not only long, but they are uninteresting, and I'm a player who never skipped a cutscane/dialog in SWTOR

- the combat is just wrong, feels almost unplayable compared to modern standards... and definitely unfun

- the visuals looks very outdated, even more uninspired and the unnatural shine doesn't help either. And I'm not somebody who can't accept a little bit subpar graphics.

I can't imagine why they decided to publish a 10 year old game without major updates, when a new MMO comes out in almost every month.

• DorrianDorrian Member UncommonPosts: 16

Love the game, I have some videos up on my channel nothing to fancy just some Thief gameplay footage.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DorrianX

feel free to check em out! cant wait for release!

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202
    Originally posted by Samhael
    I couldn't get into it myself. The NDA lifted yesterday so I can comment on it now. The controls didn't feel right somehow and the animations and graphics seemed very outdated. It only lasted about 45 minutes on my hard drive.

Yes, I've binned it too.  I can hardly credit that this is a new game, because it feels so dated.  It doesn't seem as if it even qualifies for a Beta label - it plays slower than a sloth on tranquilisers and looks drab and faded.  The NPC dialogues are bland, humourless and progress with glacial slowness, and the majority can't be skipped.  Cutscenes pop up for no real reason and just get annoying.  Sound effects, such as they are, are utterly terrible.  The music is terrible too.  Character models are very old-fashioned and unappealing.  Combat is laughably simplistic. On the plus side, the Karma/Permadeath concept and PvP/Criminal concept are both interesting and I hope some other MMO that caters for a 21st Century audience takes it up.  Both concepts deserve a much better game behind them though.

For a game that was released only a year ago in Japan, this game takes a giant step backwards, taking the genre back about 10 years.  Having been out for that length of time the game should look and play a damn sight better than it does.  Never mind that it's F2P - they'd have to PAY me to play this, and even then I doubt I'd bother.

Honestly, it isn't even worth downloading, but don't just take my word for it - give it a try and see how quickly you delete it.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

Unfortunately, I have to agree with everyone else.

The game is far too dated to warrant playing.

The controls are extremely bothersome and get in the way of fighting anything. It's a semi-action combat game without the ability to move around like in TERA for example. You're locked in place, locked in animations, and can barely react to anything due to it.

The game would've been more enjoyable with an updated, current generation combat system.  But as it stands, combat is the most important part of this game as there's barely anything else to do, and since it's mediocre, the game won't hold people's interest, unless they can somehow get around the burdening combat system.

A shame; I was looking forward to this type of game.

In other news, Mortal Online just went free to play...  Hope that doesn't feel too dated to play.