Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR - Space Project - It Does Exist!!!!!

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Well, color me surprised. I wonder if it'll be like Dust 514, where it's a separate game, but that interacts with the main game, or if it's going to be integrated in with the main game itself.

I also can't help but wonder if there will be ships bouncing off the ground over Tatooine while people try to figure out how to land their ships. Then I continue to wonder if there will be ships just hanging there at odd angles as players give up on trying to land because they can't.

** edit **
    It seems like the kind of thing where it's possible it could just be a way to travel between quest points, or where it's a whole game in itself.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    Originally posted by ForumPvP
    Originally posted by Phry
    Maybe their going to dump the Hero Engine, and 'borrow' the one that SOE is using for their games. Still think that most of the games problems/limitations can be laid at the door of the Hero Engine, and is why the space game is single player only. Perhaps the only way they can overcome that, and also why its going to take such a long time, is because their not going to be using the Hero Engine image

You can't blame the engine. I have watched several videos on that engine and it is really nice with tons of options that BW chose not to utilize. BW is the one that chose to restrict everything.

And those are ?i have only seen tech demos and  on those theres 1 object flying,and all those projects that i have found are now dead,there might be a reason for it,which might be HeroEngine.

Youtube has several videos on it. Hero wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't blame the engine for BW dropping the ball.

Problem in here is that people are now expecting something like JTL,but if they could do something like that with HeroEngine then there would be atleast playable demos of games where you could do something like 6dof IF that  engine is capable of doing such things,but because there isnt,well it might not be even possible.

Their super space combat might mean anything,like Spacerangers 2 or FTL like ,nobody knows,but one thing is for sure,it only can get better than what it is now,everything is "super" compared to that.

Let's internet

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Maybe their going to dump the Hero Engine, and 'borrow' the one that SOE is using for their games. Still think that most of the games problems/limitations can be laid at the door of the Hero Engine, and is why the space game is single player only. Perhaps the only way they can overcome that, and also why its going to take such a long time, is because their not going to be using the Hero Engine image

You can't blame the engine. I have watched several videos on that engine and it is really nice with tons of options that BW chose not to utilize. BW is the one that chose to restrict everything.

And those are ?i have only seen tech demos and  on those theres 1 object flying,and all those projects that i have found are now dead,there might be a reason for it,which might be HeroEngine.

Youtube has several videos on it. Hero wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't blame the engine for BW dropping the ball.

Problem in here is that people are now expecting something like JTL,but if they could do something like that with HeroEngine then there would be atleast playable demos of games where you could do something like 6dof

I see what you are saying. I was talking about the whole game, not just space. You definitely bring up a good point about no space examples being available.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Problem in here is that people are now expecting something like JTL,but if they could do something like that with HeroEngine then there would be atleast playable demos of games where you could do something like 6dof

I see what you are saying. I was talking about the whole game, not just space. You definitely bring up a good point about no space examples being available.

Considering yesterday they annouced heroic space missins, I think that is what the secret space stuff was.  Just more space on rails.  Honestly if they could do JTL type of stuf they would hae already done it.  I really dont expect much unless they are going to have some sort of multi person space battle. 

Still considering the stuff the given for content, and how lite that was, the fact they missed 6 week suposed upates like they said they were going to do.  I really don't expect great things.

So far I seen nothing that will make me resub back up. 

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Considering yesterday they annouced heroic space missins, I think that is what the secret space stuff was.  Just more space on rails.  

Definitely wrong, they stated SEVERAL times that the new space concept is nothing like the stuff which is already in game.

I´m 110% sure it´s off rails, rest assured.

Will it be good? Check it out.. 2014 I guess

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

The Hero engine was a major mistake. However, I would like a xwing vs TF style space combat. This would be really big for a lot of folks.

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Butch808
    They probably saw that there is a market for space sim style games after Star Citizen managed to claim 6.5 million in crowd funding to finish developing their space game.

I agree, there is a market for Space Sims and X3 just doesn't cut it and other so called Space Sims are nothing more than glorified Space Arcades.

I personally liked JTL but I felt that it was too seperate from ground combat, I'm hoping that their Space Project is something breath taking, perhaps giving Guilds their own bases in space.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

Im working on a Starcraft mmorpg...

"But it is far out in the future. You won't hear anything about it any time soon."

trust me.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by ignore_me

The super secret ability to display more than 16 characters without FPS drop

This one should work itself out.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Sounds good. But i wont believe it until its live in game haha. Devs these days do a lot of talking. It hurts their credibility imo.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

They couldn't make a great space game experience when they had several years and millions of dollars with tons of developers, writers and artist. Now the games on a bare bones budget, F2P and with most of its previous staff gone you really expect them to come out with a great free flying  (not rails) space game experience?

Sorry dudes the math doesn't add up. they are just promising you what they know you want to hear to try and tempt you back into spending money on the SW:Tor that currently is. Sure I guess theres a chance that if the game stay afloat and makes enough money for EA in 5-6 years you might get some new space game, but thtas a heck of a long wait, and EA/bioware has already proved even when they had the money and the staff they were glacial in adding anything new of worth

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by FromHell

Considering yesterday they annouced heroic space missins, I think that is what the secret space stuff was.  Just more space on rails.  

Definitely wrong, they stated SEVERAL times that the new space concept is nothing like the stuff which is already in game.

your a optimist!

What has SW:Tor done in the last year when they actually had the budget and staff that leads you to believe that in another 2 years that they can make such a drastic change with less then a 1/5 of the budget and manpower?

Guess nothing wrong in dreaming as long as you don't realistically expect those dreams to come true. otherwise your just in for more disappointment that EA/Bioware has brought you already

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Take a look at the promises we had durring beta

(1) we have 2 years of content banked up ready to go,  ok where has that went

(2) We will have hundreds of planets,  ok where

(3) we will have 10 years worth of content,  ok again where.

I seen a lot of promises and nothing materialized out of those, so yo will have to forgive me when I say that I will beleive it when I see it hit test, and live.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Did they actually say it would be off rails?

If not then that 110% it just pure BS, and should be below 100%

At least my comments are usually backed up by facts and statements straight from the horses mouths

It can still be on rails and be something different, I am sure they said the same thing about the Heroic Space missions. Most of the space missions in game are just the same but harder, so something different would be good too

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

It does exist!!!!!!!! 

It doesn't exist until you can play it.

I thought they were happy with space-on-rails anyway, that whole "fantastic" space system and all.

I'd give this a 50/50 of ever coming to fruition anyway, there's never a shortage of promises from developers though.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    By the time this SSSP comes out there will already be better things to play. Hell TESO which is essentially wow with rvr is gonna be better then this disaster of an mmo. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I remember before swtor launched, bioware devs held a q&a panel with fans. This guy asked about space off rails and the dev that answered basically clowned him. Saying something like, " han and chewie didnt go wandering around in space looking for asteroids to mine lol". And everyone laughed.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I remember before swtor launched, bioware devs held a q&a panel with fans. This guy asked about space off rails and the dev that answered basically clowned him. Saying something like, " han and chewie didnt go wandering around in space looking for asteroids to mine lol". And everyone laughed.

That's why they failed. Jack wagons.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Reminds me, another one from D.Erickson on playing alien species during pax 2010:

"If you can't imagine it making out with Princess Leia, you probably won't be able to play it."

Fans answer: 

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

My god, there are no lengths to which people won't gpo to delude themselves.

Do you really think, do you really believe that EA/BW would firstly be capable of designing the kind of free-roaming Star Wars flight sim we all want?  And secondly if, by the tiniest chance they were able to make it, that they would bolt it on to the worm-eaten piece of crap called SWTOR in an effort to 'save' it?

If they can do it - which evidence suggests they can't - they'll bring it out as a separate game and they'll make you pay through the nose for it after having hyped it to the Moon once again.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

What's funny is that the Star Wars Secret Space Project (SSSP) is begining to resemble the Star Wars secret space project (SDI).

Ronald Reagan would be proud?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by TheCrow2k
    I suspect by the time they do deliver this it will be too little too late.

Even if subs would go down for a while, assuming that people won't stay for new content promissed every 6-8 weeks, and I assure you most people will stay as there is nothing on the market at the moment that would tempt them, they will rebound after this project go live.

I don't understand this POV at all.  Sure there are tons of people who play SWTOR because it's the only Star Wars MMO out there.  But plenty of people have had no problem leaving SWTOR for non Star Wars games.  Most people aren't so attached to one IP that they'll ignore other games that might be a better fit for them.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    if they add an element as complex & deep such as Eve Online, to what they already have as the "on planet" portion of the game, Id gladly sub again. Heck, even something like Black Prophecy, but a bit more substance.

Have you seen this game? Complex is not a word I would use in the same sentence as it. It'll probably just be poorly thought out cheap instanced PvP.

• DrogenDrogen Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Ok this is awesome. I played the heck out of the current space system just to pretend my character was an overall B.A., but if they are able to do this in a timely manner it will just be fantastic
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    oops, wrong section...disregard.