Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[POLL] What game would you play if all MMORPGs were free to play?

killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Lets pretend that all MMORPGs on the market are completely free to play going forward.  No box price, no subscription fees, no cash shop, no advertisements... no monetization period.  What MMORPG would you play as your main game?  For the purpose of this poll, main game means the one in which you spend the most time playing on weekly basis.  I'm simply curious what game people on this site feel would entertain them the most if money was not a consideration.

Since there are only 10 options in a poll, I tried to include the most popular games (according to this site).  If you select 'Other', please feel free to include your game choice in a reply to the thread.

Comments

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Probably Ultima Online. The game is a shell of it's former greatness, but I would still play it. It's just not worth a subscription in it's current state.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Same as I'm playing right now (no, literally, right now; I'm sailing from Yuntaisha to Chongqing in my long schooner):  Uncharted Waters Online.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    I would still be playing WoW, for as long as my friends were there. I would give Rift a serious look though, the new souls from the expansion really looked appealing.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    I've played many of those games, the only problem is no game right now is good enough to make it my main game. I'm currently bouncing between a few based on what I am in the mood for that day. If a game is good I don't care whether it's sub or free honestly.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Probably none.  I don't care if its' f2p or p2p I just care if it's fun.

I've played most of those games and left, making them f2p would not change why I left them.  They just ceased to entertain me.  The ones I didn't just didn't have anything to interest me. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244

You forgot to put in a NONE option.  I hate f2p games, I hate the buying of power whether its weapons or experience or some new clever marketing scam.  I hate that the entire game revolves around trying to get you to spend money.  Lastly I hate that not everybody is on a level playing field.  I will gladly pay $15 a month to have full access and a level playing field in a good game.

So yeah...... F playing f2p games period they all suck.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Definetly interested in RIFT.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

Ulitma Online and Dark Age Of Camelot.

I pay to play Rift right now.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

*If cash shop never happened*

Maaan there could be some amazing games out there right now.

All that wasted energy on cash shops now transformed  to something useful,what could it be.

Anarchy Online, we are just invading aliens home planet,heres some new city spots!!

SWTOR,this water is quite warm,come on while sun is still shining, dont just sit there and drink those Margaritas.

I would be playing most likely many MMOs.

Let's internet

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

If all MMOs are F2P, why don't i just play each a little and see what i like, and decide what i play depends on my mood.

There is no point choosing one over another now.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside2
  • lqw6843128lqw6843128 Member UncommonPosts: 40

None. (because i have played mostof those)

As i think about your question, i can't think of any released mmorpg that i actually want to play. I then realized that the sub or box barrier is actually not a problem for me to play a mmorpg. Well, if the future mmorpg are all completely free, i will, of course, try all of them.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Asherons Call

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Same as I'm playing right now (no, literally, right now; I'm sailing from Yuntaisha to Chongqing in my long schooner):  Uncharted Waters Online.

I've never heard of that game. How is it? (seriously)

EDIT: Personally I picked EVE just because I'm a slow ISK earner to get Plex.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    That's easy. I'd be playing the only MMO I ever found worth subscribing to for more than 3 months: Dark Age of Camelot. After playing it 9+ years, I no longer want to pay to play it but if it were free, that's the only MMO I'd play.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    I chose EQ2.. but it was a toss up on a few games.. Eve and WoW being a couple others..  I'm still new to Eve with the 14 day trial.. I don't plan on staying past that time tho.. I just don't see myself logging on more then an hour to two a week at most.. Same with WoW.. 
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I'm fine paying a subscription fee for a good quality mmo.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

I picked TSW.

Business model does't matter, the game does. Although f2p games tend to carry the payment model into the game itself.

The poll needs multi select though, I also play EVE and AO

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Most of the MMOs that I liked well enough have already gone F2P. And my current MMO I will primarily play, Planetside 2 is F2P.

Having any MMO become F2P doesn't make it automaticly more appealing.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

all the same games i'm playing now.  cost is not prohibiting me from playing any MMO.

(EQ2, TSW, LoTRO, EVE sometimes)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by 123443211234

You forgot to put in a NONE option.  I hate f2p games, I hate the buying of power whether its weapons or experience or some new clever marketing scam.  I hate that the entire game revolves around trying to get you to spend money.  Lastly I hate that not everybody is on a level playing field.  I will gladly pay $15 a month to have full access and a level playing field in a good game.

So yeah...... F playing f2p games period they all suck.

I think you missed the point of his question.

He is asking what if all games were free to play, not necessarily a f2p style game.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    None.  None of them are fun and I only play games that I enjoy, no matter the cost.  Free won't make me play a bad game.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    dark age of camelot
  • Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Other...meaning Vanguard: Saga of Heroes...which I AM playing now.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I voted WoW, but let me explain... that means anything prior to Cata.  I know about private servers, but if I could have a server based on Wotlk or BC from Blizzard themselves, I'd be interested in WoW again.  Funny how that works, seeing as none of it is new content... I just think the actual new content is embarrassing.