Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard: Guilty until proven innocent.

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Hey all,

Well... I've received my first ban in my history of gaming.

I started gaming via Hero's Quest: Quest for Glory / King's Quest / Police Quest all the way to EverQuest / SWG all the way to SWTOR (meh) / Diablo 3.

My account was stolen.

It's unfortunate that people do this, as I had a lot of time invested into that game. However, I had a simple password with virtually zero security. I never bothered to purchase an authenticator or update my password from time to time. So I was pretty naive (It won't happen to me).

Anyways, I find that I cannot log into my account. I cannot log into my associated email account (luckily it was only an email I used for games and such). I call up tech support and tell them situation.

They give me my account back. They transferred my account to a new email I had created (because old one was stolen). However, my character had no items and no gold. So naturally I would be upset. They told me to submit a ticket and I would be granted some type of "rollback" so that I could obtain most of my items again.

I submit a ticket and wait about a day.

I get an email this morning: "Greetings,

After a thorough investigation of your recently reported compromise, it has come to our attention that your ticket was submitted in an attempt to defraud the Game Master Department in order to duplicate gold or other assets. As a result, the Diablo III license attached to this Battle.net Account has been permanently closed.

This action was taken in keeping with our Diablo III End User License Agreement (http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/d3_eula.html) and will neither be amended nor removed.

Regards,

Blizzard Entertainment
Customer Support
http://battle.net/support
"

First off, my best character probably had a financial value of about 20 bucks. I had very little gold on him. However, I was proud of my character because everything on him was 100% pure and legit. I never purchased, sold, or used anything from the Real Money AH. Everything was earned. Moreover, it was an $80 Collector's Edition account.

So the next thing I do is call up Blizzard support... again. I asked them about the outcome. They say they can't do anything but push another ticket. I asked him why they couldn't just check the IP logs or trade-screen logs associated with the theft. They said that is doesn't work the same way as it does in WoW. They don't have IP or data logs via trading, so they can't possibly track the person who logged into my account and traded/sold my stuff away.

Again, it was my fault for such low security. But wow! I didn't know that Blizzard support was so... narrow. I never joined any type of "secret" website or used any 3rd party software etc. So all of this is rather shocking. But being called a "gold duper" really ticked me off.

Comments

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Yeh it can be very frustating when something happens like this did got hacked in wow few years back and they did close my acc for 1 week or so to monitor who i trying to login etc. In the end it all worked out and got everything back sure its anoying tho its good they wanna make sure you are the rightfull owner etc.  Think alot of ppl get keylogged in blizzard games since their are alot of keylogging mails going around and they look very similar to original ones.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I love the game Diablo 3 .. but this is atrocious.

You should NOT give up. And escalate this up to management. It is not about the value of your character, but the principle of it.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    If your e-mail account was stolen at the same time, then it's likely that the account thief didn't get your Diablo 3 password directly, but rather, used the stolen e-mail account to reset your Diablo 3 password to whatever he wanted.  And so long as he has your e-mail account, he might be able to do that to other games linked to the same e-mail account.  Which means that you'd better check on your other games in a hurry.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Move on you can't win. Your account was used for gold selling.

I would just say this is a hard way to learn a lesson - complex passwords, different for each game.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Hey all,

Well... I've received my first ban in my history of gaming.

I started gaming via Hero's Quest: Quest for Glory / King's Quest / Police Quest all the way to EverQuest / SWG all the way to SWTOR (meh) / Diablo 3.

My account was stolen.

It's unfortunate that people do this, as I had a lot of time invested into that game. However, I had a simple password with virtually zero security. I never bothered to purchase an authenticator or update my password from time to time. So I was pretty naive (It won't happen to me).

Anyways, I find that I cannot log into my account. I cannot log into my associated email account (luckily it was only an email I used for games and such). I call up tech support and tell them situation.

They give me my account back. They transferred my account to a new email I had created (because old one was stolen). However, my character had no items and no gold. So naturally I would be upset. They told me to submit a ticket and I would be granted some type of "rollback" so that I could obtain most of my items again.

I submit a ticket and wait about a day.

I get an email this morning: "Greetings,

After a thorough investigation of your recently reported compromise, it has come to our attention that your ticket was submitted in an attempt to defraud the Game Master Department in order to duplicate gold or other assets. As a result, the Diablo III license attached to this Battle.net Account has been permanently closed.

This action was taken in keeping with our Diablo III End User License Agreement (http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/d3_eula.html) and will neither be amended nor removed.

Regards,

Blizzard Entertainment
    Customer Support
    http://battle.net/support
    "

First off, my best character probably had a financial value of about 20 bucks. I had very little gold on him. However, I was proud of my character because everything on him was 100% pure and legit. I never purchased, sold, or used anything from the Real Money AH. Everything was earned. Moreover, it was an $80 Collector's Edition account.

So the next thing I do is call up Blizzard support... again. I asked them about the outcome. They say they can't do anything but push another ticket. I asked him why they couldn't just check the IP logs or trade-screen logs associated with the theft. They said that is doesn't work the same way as it does in WoW. They don't have IP or data logs via trading, so they can't possibly track the person who logged into my account and traded/sold my stuff away.

Again, it was my fault for such low security. But wow! I didn't know that Blizzard support was so... narrow. I never joined any type of "secret" website or used any 3rd party software etc. So all of this is rather shocking. But being called a "gold duper" really ticked me off.

Hacked in a single player game, cant tell how ridiculous is this? then an automated generic response from support, gg blizz

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

With so many Battlenet accounts being hacked even with authenticators, Blizzard really need to look internally as to how so many accounts are comprimised.

Yet after so many similar tales and angry customers they bury their heads in the sand happy in the knowledge that there are so many people willing to still give them their cash.

Blizzard really nead to be investigated thoroughly, once and for all, especially with their current attempted sueing, they should start to look into what is going on at their company.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    That really sucks, but you should have bought an authenticator or at least taken rudimentary security precautions i.e. noscript, frequently changing passwords etc. They have them as free aps for smartphones. There is literally no excuse to skip out on one. It always amazes me when someone decides against getting one and then complains about bad stuff happening to their account. Seriously, just spend the 3 bucks or download the ap and save yourself the headache. Live and learn I suppose.
  • Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

I recently spent two days going back and forth with Blizzard CS Reps about an issue I was having with re-installing Diablo 3.

I spoke to six different representatives and each gave me a relatively identical response. I ended up going to my older brother for help since I had exhausted all possibilities I could think of and we found a third-party solution.

I also had my account compromised, although I did have an authenticator so I didn't lose anything, but the account recovery process also took several days. In the meantime, I had a temporary ban placed on my account for violation of service policies.

So, my experience with Blizzard CS has been a bit turbulent and while I was temporarily banned I noticed it took them longer to respond to my ticket than it did only a few days ago.

Indeed, customer support does leave quite a bit to be desired.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I'm really curious about the response that the account was used for activity that was against the terms of service after you had your account returned. Of course, not having any details means I'll never know what happened, but that makes me wonder.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Bakkoda24
    I recently spent two days going back and forth with Blizzard CS Reps about an issue I was having with re-installing Diablo 3.I spoke to six different representatives and each gave me a relatively identical response. I ended up going to my older brother for help since I had exhausted all possibilities I could think of and we found a third-party solution.I also had my account compromised, although I did have an authenticator so I didn't lose anything, but the account recovery process also took several days. In the meantime, I had a temporary ban placed on my account for violation of service policies.So, my experience with Blizzard CS has been a bit turbulent and while I was temporarily banned I noticed it took them longer to respond to my ticket than it did only a few days ago.Indeed, customer support does leave quite a bit to be desired.

Third party solution?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I recently recieved a 'supposed' email from Blizzard about my D3 account. I was able to look at the source data and it was apparent that it was not sent by Blizzard, even though they used a Blizzard email for this (modded the links to look like Blizzrd, etc). I know many of my friends got similar emails.

Be careful out there.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I'm really curious about the response that the account was used for activity that was against the terms of service after you had your account returned. Of course, not having any details means I'll never know what happened, but that makes me wonder.

On that note, for the original poster, you did change the e-mail account linked to your Diablo 3 account immediately when you got your account back, didn't you?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    The crowd rabblerabbles and reaches for the torches and pitchforks on the weakest standard of evidence imaginable.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by botrytis

I recently recieved a 'supposed' email from Blizzard about my D3 account. I was able to look at the source data and it was apparent that it was not sent by Blizzard, even though they used a Blizzard email for this (modded the links to look like Blizzrd, etc). I know many of my friends got similar emails.

Be careful out there.

This about a million times over. NEVER EVER EVER click any links from any email related to gaming or any account service for that matter. You can protect yourself with complex passwords, authenticator tokens, frequent PW changes, email accounts only used for specific games. At the same time, there are many things you can't do anything about, like your email service being compromised or things like the sony hack.

Additionally, if you do decide to cancel any accounts, I would switch the email and password yet again before canceling and remove any associated credit cards.

You can never be too paranoid when it comes to internet security.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I can't blame Blizzard, but my account was hacked a while back, but luckily I had my account set up with the mobile alert, and it sent me a text that my pw had changed...I got on the phone asap with blizzard and it was rectified.  I now use a much more complex password that is unique to my battle.net and I got the FREE mobile authenticator.  No problems since :)

I've always been pretty strict when it comes to security.  I'm probably the only person in the world that has cookies and stuff turned off except for "trusted sites".  I don't even click on links in my e-mail, even if it's a password reset or something that I requested or something like that.  Nothing is ever 100% secure though.

Edit: And I never ever ever keep my credit card active on any account.  I'll pay for something, then right after delete the card off my account...However, for some reason lately, alot of games won't let you play without a stored credit card...which is stupid.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I can't blame Blizzard, but my account was hacked a while back, but luckily I had my account set up with the mobile alert, and it sent me a text that my pw had changed...I got on the phone asap with blizzard and it was rectified.  I now use a much more complex password that is unique to my battle.net and I got the FREE mobile authenticator.  No problems since :)

I've always been pretty strict when it comes to security.  I'm probably the only person in the world that has cookies and stuff turned off except for "trusted sites".  I don't even click on links in my e-mail, even if it's a password reset or something that I requested or something like that.  Nothing is ever 100% secure though.

Edit: And I never ever ever keep my credit card active on any account.  I'll pay for something, then right after delete the card off my account...However, for some reason lately, alot of games won't let you play without a stored credit card...which is stupid.

I'm glad you got your stuff back.

I, however, don't have a "Smart Phone". Purchasing an authenticator...   I guess I just put it off for too long.

I wouldn't be talking about any of this had blizzard not called me a "gold / item duper". I just feel like they simply glanced at the account for half a second and treated it like a grain of salt.

Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

Hacked in a single player game, cant tell how ridiculous is this? then an automated generic response from support, gg blizz

Actualy D3 is not really a SP game since there is a AH. By definition, AH is multiplayer.

Originally posted by mmoDAD

I'm glad you got your stuff back.

I, however, don't have a "Smart Phone". Purchasing an authenticator...   I guess I just put it off for too long.

I wouldn't be talking about any of this had blizzard not called me a "gold / item duper". I just feel like they simply glanced at the account for half a second and treated it like a grain of salt.

You don't have a smart phone? Get one! it will make your life a lot better (and not just for an authenticator).

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    D3 is nothing but a failed mess. I am not surprised to hear this story. I always have my doubts that the OP of threads such as this is telling the whole story, but meh.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Sucks....As a paranoid capitalist, I saw this kind of crap coming from a mile away when the RealMoneyAH was announced...again, sucks...but I bet you learn about passwords.....

On a personal funny note...I only played WoW on and off for a toal of maybe 6 months...about 4 months after my last bout of WoW...I recieved a "account ban" for goldselling.. I laughed and laughed. Then I copied and pasted the whole email and sent it as a support ticket to Blizz, I also included a screenshot showing my cancled account from months earlier, 2 days later I recieved an email explaining my account had been reinstated, again I laughed and laughed..Havent played or paid a dime to Blizz since, uninstalled Starcarft just to be safe.

Good luck, grab some foil and begin making hats.

Originally posted by Aviggin
    D3 is nothing but a failed mess. I am not surprised to hear this story. I always have my doubts that the OP of threads such as this is telling the whole story, but meh.

A "failed mess" that sold 10M copies. A "failed mess" that is ranked higher than all sandbox MMO, and all MMOs except WOW and GW2 on xfire.

I am sure many companies would like such a "failed mess".

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

A "failed mess" that sold 10M copies. A "failed mess" that is ranked higher than all sandbox MMO, and all MMOs except WOW and GW2 on xfire.

I agree it is not a failed mess. I think it did crazy well. In fact some of my friends have even started up again because of some of the changes.

But, I don't think it really makes much sense to compare it to how MMO's are doing, especially using xfire. Its two different genres and using a program that the majority of players have no interest in. Furthermore, xfire wasn't strategically spead out such as nielson, and therefore cannot give an accurate number as it is primarily only used by a niche sector.

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I recently spent two days going back and forth with Blizzard CS Reps about an issue I was having with re-installing Diablo 3.

I spoke to six different representatives and each gave me a relatively identical response. I ended up going to my older brother for help since I had exhausted all possibilities I could think of and we found a third-party solution.

I also had my account compromised, although I did have an authenticator so I didn't lose anything, but the account recovery process also took several days. In the meantime, I had a temporary ban placed on my account for violation of service policies.

So, my experience with Blizzard CS has been a bit turbulent and while I was temporarily banned I noticed it took them longer to respond to my ticket than it did only a few days ago.

Third party solution?

I ended up having to replace the .tfil with one provided here http://patchup.info/d3/tfil/NA/ .

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

What it sold, and what companies would like, is irrelevant. The game sold based on the name alone, and it failed to live up to it. The story alone is so full of plot holes and was so half-assed that it makes me cringe. There's no point in going over it, I complained enough about everything on the official forums after launch.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

If you have an authenticator like you claim then they couldn't have "compromised" your account.  You couldn't have been temp banned.

Your story doesn't add up, and that normally means it isn't true.