Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Wizardry Online: Touring the Beta

Comments

• PsyentistPsyentist Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Piko took the words out of my mouth:  Its not the permadeath or the unique aspects of the setting that make this a huge failure; its the fact that it is a monotonous grinder with subpar graphics and no real skill involved in pvp or pve.  Do yourselves a favor, skip it.
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

I tried to like this, I really want to. But I found it almost impossible to do anything. Just trying to get out of town to go fight something, First I am drawn into a conversasion with some chick that takes literallly close to 10min  and it will not let you escape from it. Then, after finally getting out of that I am told I must become an adventurer before I can leave town but finding where and how to do that will no doubt take another 10min long un-escapable conversation of text that I dont want to do...

So I decide to log out (very frustrated now) and come back later and try again, so I logout, but make the mistake of logging to charector select, at which point I discover you cant get out of the game from there so I have to log back in and then logout to desktop (exit game) and wait for the timer.

Adding all of this to the very clunky controls, terrible camera system... I just dont think its for me.

Hope it does well though, I would like to see some new games with perma death and no health regen type things.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Yamota

Read this massively preview for a much more balanced view of the game: 

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/27/yup-youre-dead-hands-on-with-wizardry-online/

Interesting article but also quite a lot to read. I think their final conclusion pretty much hits the nail:

"Wizardry Online is a compelling experiment in "hardcore" MMO gaming with tons of promise. Sadly, the whole thing is tripped up by sub-par level design, gimmicks that confuse or bore more often than they surprise, and some of the most nondescript dungeons I think I've seen in a modern online game. In a title that seeks to make its bones by offering the pure, unfiltered danger of permadeath, there just doesn't seem to be reward on par with the risk."

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189
    the first mmo, where you can be a true bounty hunter :)
  • shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    SOE's involved.  Won't touch it.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Let us see for how long this game stays up. I have been hearing how there are 'millions' of old school MMO players waiting for something challenging with perma death.

Time to see if they put their money where there mouth is.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Let us see for how long this game stays up. I have been hearing how there are 'millions' of old school MMO players waiting for something challenging with perma death.

Old school mmorpg's did not have perma-death, so no idea why you associated this perma-death game with old school.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Man could this game be worse than FFXIV's launch 2 years ago? After readiing these coments, its really making me think twice about getting the game. Guss the'll hafta redue it and realise it again 2 years from now to make it better...
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    In other words, you basically have to level up all four classes to achieve a multi-class character.  I.E. another huge grind game, no thanks.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by fenistil

Old school mmorpg's did not have perma-death, so no idea why you associated this perma-death game with old school.

I never attributed perma death with old school. I said something 'challenging' and if you ignore perma death in WO it is a very old school MMO. And yes these forums have been lately all about how MMOS should implement perma death and there are millions who will support these ideas over 'safe' and 'carebear' MMOS.

Let us see now.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I have been playing MMO's since 2004 and while i do enjoy the older games that no longer exist, and permadeath, this game sucks.

Let's not blame this games demise on the fact there are not enough players for this genre, it should be blamed squarely on the fact that the UI is trash, the scrolling quest text is horrible, the story is horrible, the character models and animations are shockingly bad, the world is uninspired and tawdry.

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

I have been playing MMO's since 2004 and while i do enjoy the older games that no longer exist, and permadeath, this game sucks.

Let's not blame this games demise on the fact there are not enough players for this genre, it should be blamed squarely on the fact that the UI is trash, the scrolling quest text is horrible, the story is horrible, the character models and animations are shockingly bad, the world is uninspired and tawdry.

This. I'm one of those "million old school players" (lol) who wishes for a challenging MMO with permadeath. But this title is probably one of the biggest disappointments I've seen over the last few years. Whoever will play this crap I doubt you'll see many of the true old-schoolers there.

• serratedpigeonserratedpigeon Member Posts: 7
    PermaDeath never lasts in MMO... give it a couple months and the rez chances will be substantially higher for less... until PD is gone and then people will be crying about that as well.
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

dat bloom... Trying to cover up the bad graphics I suppose.

But really, the UI is terrible - as in worse than FFXIV kind of terrible that makes it damn near unplayable if you're used to modern games. 

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    I'm not surprised by the difficulty of this game considering how HARD Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Crusaders of the Dark Savant were... glad to see an MMO sticking to the IP's difficutly rating. However, I will not play it for several reasons. It's free to play and it's not being created by Sir-Tech.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Nonderyon
    the first mmo, where you can be a true bounty hunter :)

If it releases before December 4th.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66

I don't like sugar coating and paid-to-be-good reviews this guy should be fired and this mmo won't ever see scores higher than 5/10. This is just example how to not make games and I honestly don't believe it's new made project it was probably laying somewhere half done for last 10 years because funding has ended.

Beside the big words and how awesome they sound this game is a horrible experience it might pass as free to play at times of lineage 2 glory but today... You just start off you see bad z-grade generic dialogue followed by blocky characters with stiff animations it was odyssey back in time to 2001 it wouldn't be a good game back there either.

You can't skip the cutscene so you have to bare reading this dialogue and it's bad and long all of this reminds you of NES JRPG it's like big flashback but nowhere near goodness of ff7, chrono trigger or golden sun. Yes yes you are awesome mega adventurer how original... you are going to save the world and shit. But there's a twist ! you cant use steps in middle of town until u level up that's the kind of idioticy that developers sneak in into this game.

Let's talk graphics since gameplay is nothing to talk about... there just forgot to include one.

First thing that strikes you is amazing green world around you and everything shines so hard that you can barely see unfortunately that's not temporary effect you were probably left to grow up in a cave and now you are seeing sunlight for the first time ever. Everything is greeny-brown and that's the color palete they use for the whole town. In the dungeons there is gray-brown for a change. Amounts of bloom... yes I've said bloom not like we have hdr and perfect looking shaders in games for couple years now.This is some kind of eye cataract simulator. This amounts of bloom are there for obvious reasons to hide bad model work and poor quality textures. Textures would require it's own paragraph but lets leave it at one comparison Gothic I.

To my surprise there is decent amout of polies to create the outside world but that just brings another issue... performance. So I've said the game looks bad uses bloom and low res texures with low poly models so it should run on top notch android or apple phone yes ? NO I have budget gaming PC but it's new runs yours typical BF 3 on ultra details 25+ fps and Skyrim 60+ guess what happens here drops to 20... keeps at 30-40 does even look close to WoW or L2 ?

I  had so much hopes for this game but when I saw first screenshots I was worried and now I am just sad that Wizardry name is pinned to this title. It will not fail no one will ever know about it beside few people.

• alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135

So fun when people only look at graphix and say no to the game (they are also the first to whine when their pc can't handle a nex-gen title).

Permadeath adds a whole new dimension to a game, I can't wait to beta test this game !

We are all satoshi!
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Something interesting today.... I hopped on over to MMOsite.com and read a few articles. I found this exact (and I mean exact) article on their site posted by author "Roger" 

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2012-11-27/preview_of_wizardry_onlines_closed_beta.shtml

Is this the same author as above poster or has someone laid claim to property that is not theirs ?

• RilmanRilman Member CommonPosts: 35
    Shame it looks like a pile of crap and the combat is dire, apart from that I liked the idea behind it, why does it have to be this shitty anime art style? its bloody horrible, this isn't Asia.
  • SurfriderSurfrider Member UncommonPosts: 302
    Originally posted by Xepo

Something interesting today.... I hopped on over to MMOsite.com and read a few articles. I found this exact (and I mean exact) article on their site posted by author "Roger" 

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2012-11-27/preview_of_wizardry_onlines_closed_beta.shtml

Is this the same author as above poster or has someone laid claim to property that is not theirs ?

Quote from the article:

Perma-death, player looting and open PvP, Wizardry Online is certainly a hardcore players dream, and not for the light hearted MMORPG players. At least, SOE sells it in this way. MORPG.com takes an deep look at this upcoming MMO: Wizardry Online, which is currently in closed beta, and has a discussion about their thoughts on the game so far.

Roger references that the article orginates from MMORPG.com.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Rilman
    Shame it looks like a pile of crap and the combat is dire, apart from that I liked the idea behind it, why does it have to be this shitty anime art style? its bloody horrible, this isn't Asia.

It was written in Japan, released in Japan and has been running there for about a year. Dur.

I get a very strong vibe that this game is a skin over a PnP RPG. All the effort went into the game play, and less effort went into the graphics and animations.

Unless everyone wants games that are very close to Rift or GW2 in style and design, you're not going to get super great graphics on top of layered game play. It takes something like five times longer to develop graphic assets for today's graphics engines compared to the previous generation of graphics engines. That's for people who know what they're doing. For an indie developer who's just starting out, that "five times longer" may as well be "forever". If graphics and animations are a requirement, then something else will suffer, and that something else is game play mechanics. So pick one. You can't have both because it's too expensive to write that game and not enough people will buy it.

As far as the UI goes, I think that's just the difference between Japan and the U.S. in terms of what is functional. The game has been doing well in Japan, so the UI isn't a stumbling block there, so they didn't change it.

I just don't know if I could get into this game. It seems like TSW in that I really like the idea of the game, but playing it just isn't going to grab me. Meh, I suppose I'll find out at some point. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Kuuhn

The graphics in the screenshots dont look incredible.. but they dont look half bad either. Are they inaccurate to the graphics people seem to be talking about in the beta? 

Just wondering.. do people consider the graphics from a game like.. FF11 to be god awful now? These screenshots dont look quite as good as that, but from what I can see i'd make a minor comparison.

The graphics in the beta are the same has these scxreenshots, They are not so bad, the are outdated but not horrible like some people said.

For most people these days if you dont have Tera or GW2 graphics then its not good and these same people will uninstalled the game without trying it.

• RoadRebelRoadRebel Member UncommonPosts: 33
    No instanced dungeons means i wont be playing... had enough fighting for mobs in eq forever... I wish these games would make more solo/duo dungeon content... 
  • AstrinaAstrina Member UncommonPosts: 46

I could care less if the graphics are good or bad, as long as the gameplay is great. But, I won't play in a griefer filled game, period. So, this one is a no-go for me. Won't even visit to check it out.

However, if someone does build a game like this but leaves the PK on the shelf, I would love to run around a world teaming up with friends and trying to overcome hard situations with the addictional challenges this style of perma-death would offer.