Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your favorite race(s) in an MMO?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

As title says...what is the best looking race in an MMO?

For me, best looking, it is easily Blood Elves from WoW. Not so much the males, since they look fail and people /point /laugh...but the females look great. However, both genders of Night Elves look really good.

For coolness factor and overall best, it goes...again to WoW...easily the Forsaken (Undead). So little MMOs...no heck...almost no game...lets you play as the Undead. That right there makes them the coolest and best race in an MMO I've played as.

Third (best very close to Undead, I just like playing as an undead a bit more), will go to the dragons in Istaria. Like WoW's undead, no other MMO lets you play as a dragon...only one other game I know of that does and that is a singleplayer game called Divinity 2. Every other game you just kill dragons, which is lame and uncreative. 

(edit: to add...Runner ups go to Asura from Guild Wars 2, Charr from Guild Wars 2...and...I liked the Fae (both good/evil) from Everquest 2. (end edit)

So those are my favorite races.

TLDR: Favorite races (not in any particular order): female Blood Elves, Forsaken (Undead), Dragons

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Favorite race? In no particular order - In GW2 I like the humans because there is a variety of good options I can use for varying alts, Aion also did the "human" type character well also with the Elyos. The Castanic in TERA looked very cool and unique so I like them. Elin were absolutely adorable and unique as well.
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I always liked rakkis and dark elves in VG.

And I know it's not an MMO, but bretons in Skyrim should get a mention.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    The playable Tumeroks and Lugians from Asheron's Call 2 always have a special place for me. Especially Tumeroks casters who use drums as a focus for their casting.
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I'm quite fond of WoW's Worgen. Possibly my fav though is Sylvan from DAOC. Groovy looking tree people.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Dark elf and cat people usually.  Loved the dark elf lookin EQ1 and EQ2 (SOBA models), loved the cat in EQ1, hated the cat in EQ2.

The dark elves in VG always looked a bit funny to me, but still better than the others :)

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    The playable Tumeroks and Lugians from Asheron's Call 2 always have a special place for me. Especially Tumeroks casters who use drums as a focus for their casting.

Oh yeah. One of my favorite MMOs...especially toward the end, when it was greatly improved from release. I'll always miss AC2...

But yes...Tumeroks and Lugians...so awesome. 

On that note...I take back the top 1. Favorite race ever: Olthoi from Asheron's Call...even when they were just AI...I always thought they were epic. Then they made them playable in the last year or two.

A lot of Asheron's Call was really unique though, everything was never seen anywhere else.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Zabraks from swg/swtor. I'd pay money in other games just to play that race.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    I have a male pureblood sith in SWTOR that I absolutely adore. But human and chiss are also my most favorite.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    Favorite race? In no particular order - In GW2 I like the humans because there is a variety of good options I can use for varying alts, Aion also did the "human" type character well also with the Elyos. The Castanic in TERA looked very cool and unique so I like them. Elin were absolutely adorable and unique as well.

Yep, Elin were crazy bad ass adorable. Moslty I am boring and conservative and just roll human female but I bounced around in Tera with an Elin. Bouncy Night Elf girls in WoW got me to trial it but I didn't go further. Honorable mention to the Wookie.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Appearence was the slyvan from daoc fist real good looking plant people. imo.

Function Orc from wow i mean come on op forever. In a game where racial are not a super big deal orcd provided adv forever for most things and classes.

Giuess thast it for now.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Favorite? Tauren in WoW by far. In most games you basically have your choice between different sized humans, or when they try something different it just doesn't work well. Tauren were the first anthropomorphized animal race I played, out of many, that worked, and worked beautifully.

Favorite humans: By far GW1's models. My Dervish in her Vabian Jewel Armor is still by far the prettiest character I've ever played. Nothing else, including (Especially!) GW2, comes close.

Honorable mention: Chaos in WAR. They weren't attractive, nor should they have been, but they were different. Endless animation and LoD weirdnesses kinda ruined the look of things, though.

Least fav has to be Rift. Few choices, fewer viable choices, little variation, and races so similar I was often asked by opposite faction players to rez or heal them because even they couldn't tell at a glance what race/faction I belonged to.

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    I have a male pureblood sith in SWTOR that I absolutely adore. But human and chiss ave also my most favorite.

This, absolutely this.  Plus I have to give some love to Char and Norn in GW2.  

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

humans:

It's fun in every game to see what the developers would assume that humans in this universe would look like. Sometimes it's hilarious  (WoW, TERA). Sometimes you actually get the tools to create someone "real" (EVE... best character creation).

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It doesn't really matter to me, as long as they are evil.  For some reason, they always look cooler to me.

I self identify as a monkey.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Honestly,i prefer Ranger in FFXI but i found that unlike any otehr game,i enjoyed EVERY class inside of FFXI.I can play and like ANy class,it really doesn't matter,just so long it doesn't feel generic and boring .

Example i DON'T like classes that use that super generic idea of putting 1/2 points into fire and every level i get 2 new points to put into Fire.I don't like classes that have me using all my icons on the hotbar based ONLY on time.So in otherwords SPAMMING my choices every 2-3 seconds is how most games do class design.Also when i see class design using tons of global timers,it is VERY unrealistic,like i can't use half my abilities until the first tiemr is back up.

Simply put,i adore great class design,i don't need to make choices in my slections IF the game already does a good job with their design.I want my chopices to be varied depending on the mobs i fight.

Again an example,i don't want to be a basic Fire attack mage and just spam fire attacks at every single mob with nothing else to determine my choices.

It seems many gamers have very low expectations for FUN,i find many will accept VERY poor class design IF they simply get a PET or IF they simply get to use dual weild.That is NOT good class design.

Class designb actually extends far beyond JUST the class,you need a good world/mob/combat design to make it all happen.Hence FFXI goes down as my most fun game i have ever played,no other game has left me feeling that i enjoy every class.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    WoW Troll race, because it was unique, noone played it and i just grew attached to it, playing race that have only 1% population at launch was sepcial, made you unique and everthing differetn and funny, few years latter trolls grew into being one of most popularraces  tho :)
  • lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

Thats a no-brainer!

I always played as human - but now im in love with ... ASURA (GW2). theyre totally awesome in every aspect (well, besides you cant see your gear properly, as they are so tiny :P )

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Pretty much elves.

But not wood elves. I prefer the whole long lived, preternatural "perfect beings" idea. Whether dark or light these are what I usually play.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Honestly,i prefer Ranger in FFXI but i found that unlike any otehr game,i enjoyed EVERY class inside of FFXI.I can play and like ANy class,it really doesn't matter,just so long it doesn't feel generic and boring .

Example i DON'T like classes that use that super generic idea of putting 1/2 points into fire and every level i get 2 new points to put into Fire.I don't like classes that have me using all my icons on the hotbar based ONLY on time.So in otherwords SPAMMING my choices every 2-3 seconds is how most games do class design.Also when i see class design using tons of global timers,it is VERY unrealistic,like i can't use half my abilities until the first tiemr is back up.

Simply put,i adore great class design,i don't need to make choices in my slections IF the game already does a good job with their design.I want my chopices to be varied depending on the mobs i fight.

Again an example,i don't want to be a basic Fire attack mage and just spam fire attacks at every single mob with nothing else to determine my choices.

It seems many gamers have very low expectations for FUN,i find many will accept VERY poor class design IF they simply get a PET or IF they simply get to use dual weild.That is NOT good class design.

Class designb actually extends far beyond JUST the class,you need a good world/mob/combat design to make it all happen.Hence FFXI goes down as my most fun game i have ever played,no other game has left me feeling that i enjoy every class.

This thread was about RACE not class.

If we're talking playable races, for me it would be the Half Elves of EQ2 and the Sylvari of GW2. Oh, and I should also add the Tauren of WoW and perhaps the Bloodelves as well.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

1. Ratonga - EQ2

2. Iksar - EQ / EQ2

3. Froglok - EQ / EQ2

4. Charr - GW2

5. Sylvari - GW2

6. Popori - TERA

7. Raki - Vanguard

8 - Vulmae - Vanguard

9. Aman - TERA

10. Halfling - EQ2 / LOTRO

That's my top 10. EQ2 probably has the best racial selection out of any MMO at the moment. Although TERA has some pretty cool races, just not as diverse. Looking forward to EQ Next as I love the EQ races and lore.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Depends on which class but for melee classes it is either GW 2 Charr or Tera Aman. Most awesome looking, bad ass races ever.

I usually dont play female characters but even their females look like warriors.

As for mage classes I usually pick humans. I would pick elves but the elve males almost always look like girly-boys.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

EQ2 and WoW are the two best in the industry in terms of race variety and lore.

my favorites in WoW are Tauren and Trolls

my EQ2 favorites are Frogloks and Trolls (EQ2 Trolls and WoW Trolls are completely dfferent)

LOTRO Hobbits deserve a menton, if only for the Shire

Charr deserve a mention too

SWG and DAoC had a nice selection but they werent as fleshed out as the other games listed.  VG suffers from lousy models (Raki and Vulmane, for instance, look too much like humans with an animal face)

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    LOTRO hobbits.  Especially hobbit guardians in heavy armor tanking the dragon raid.  I'm not kidding.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    If the game let me pick a dwarf that's what I'll choose :)

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by evilastro

1. Ratonga - EQ2

2. Iksar - EQ / EQ2

3. Froglok - EQ / EQ2

4. Charr - GW2

5. Sylvari - GW2

6. Popori - TERA

7. Raki - Vanguard

8 - Vulmae - Vanguard

9. Aman - TERA

10. Halfling - EQ2 / LOTRO

That's my top 10. EQ2 probably has the best racial selection out of any MMO at the moment. Although TERA has some pretty cool races, just not as diverse. Looking forward to EQ Next as I love the EQ races and lore.

I like those EQ/EQ2 choices!  For me, City of Heroes had the best system of character creaation.   Every game should do something like that.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"