Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An MMO is being added to the Museum of Modern Art

ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

Among 14 games, one in particular speaks to the readers of this site.  Can you guess which MMO it is?

Hint: It's EVE Online

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Surprising they're adding one to begin with. image

I guess Eve probably deserves it in some ways though.

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145

Eh I don't really care for most modern art anyways. Then again you could just consider me the art version of the people who demand we go back to the olden days when mmo's were made "the way they ought to be."

I would certainly disagree EVE being included based on two of their deciding factors. Behavior and aesthetics.

I don't find Eve a very aesthetically pleasing game. Most of the ships are just eugh looking to me and I see people make beautiful space vistas all the time.

As for the behavior part, a lot of the scenarios and stories are more player driven, not designed by the developers. You could say well thats because its a sandbox. Ok well a big part of what people around here define as sandbox is the player driven content. That is therefore not designer content.

People really do make some good stories there I've seen, and a lot of people enjoy it for their own reasons so I'm glad they found the game for them. But really I don't see it fitting two of their "core" decision critera. Unfortunately they don't elaborate on why for each individual game, at least that I see. 

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

EVE's aesthetics aren't all about making everything pretty.  There is a fair bit to making things look distinct.  You can often tell which race a ship belongs to based on its look.  They also tend to fit in with the lore of the game, to make sense in the context of the game.

As for the behavior, well this much is a bit clearer to me.  The developers made the game in such a way that these things would be able to occur.  They did not design the game in such a way that such things are impossible.  The Museum is judging the game in how the players interact with it.  The game was designed to allow such things.  They judged the game, the game allows the players to interact in such profound ways.  It is not, for example, lore or a plot that was judged, but the way the game is designed with specific regards to how the players play it.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 454
    Awesome, game has never been better than atm imo. Come join the fun :)

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    While I feel EVE deserves it I'm kind of surprised it was the first and only MMO listed for now.  I mean I though Ultima or Everquest would get the first MMO spot if they did something like this.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by NetSage
    While I feel EVE deserves it I'm kind of surprised it was the first and only MMO listed for now.  I mean I though Ultima or Everquest would get the first MMO spot if they did something like this.

It's not about "first". 

I also doubt that EVE got in because of aesthetics.  It's pretty easy to figure out really. 

Just answer a single question.   Can you reccomend me a game like EVE online? 

UO, MO, Saga of Ryzom, DF, Face of Mankind, Tale in a desert (or whatever it's called), hearth and home (or whatever it's called), even Wurm, are not like EVE. 

Is there another MMO that through players just playing the game, has attracted national news coverage?  EVE is the only one I can think of.  EVE doesn't have the most subs, it's not the first sandbox MMO; it's pretty, but I don't think it's graphically so impressive (even from an artistic point of view) that it would warrant being put in a musuem for it's aesthetics. 

I think it's got a lot more to do with how players can play the game.  

And for the record, modern art is mostly trash, and MoMA is a landfill.  It's nice to see EVE get this recognition, but MoMA of all places.   Digital art, through code or graphic design, absolutely deserves that level of artistic recognition.  Digital artists don't get enough recognition from those of us that prefer traditional mediums, but they do some amazing work.  Game development is no different. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by NetSage

It's not about "first". 

I also doubt that EVE got in because of aesthetics.  It's pretty easy to figure out really. 

Just answer a single question.   Can you reccomend me a game like EVE online? 

UO, MO, Saga of Ryzom, DF, Face of Mankind, Tale in a desert (or whatever it's called), hearth and home (or whatever it's called), even Wurm, are not like EVE. 

Is there another MMO that through players just playing the game, has attracted national news coverage?  EVE is the only one I can think of.  EVE doesn't have the most subs, it's not the first sandbox MMO; it's pretty, but I don't think it's graphically so impressive (even from an artistic point of view) that it would warrant being put in a musuem for it's aesthetics. 

I think it's got a lot more to do with how players can play the game.  

And for the record, modern art is mostly trash, and MoMA is a landfill.  It's nice to see EVE get this recognition, but MoMA of all places.   Digital art, through code or graphic design, absolutely deserves that level of artistic recognition.  Digital artists don't get enough recognition from those of us that prefer traditional mediums, but they do some amazing work.  Game development is no different. 

It was really all about this comment:

"The games are selected as outstanding examples of interaction design—a field that MoMA has already explored and collected extensively, and one of the most important and oft-discussed expressions of contemporary design creativity."

I really can't think of a title better designed right now to encourage player interaction, both positively and negatively, most other MMO's these days are lessons in solo living.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon