Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dammit, city of heroes deserves better than this!

ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

I swear, ncsoft,never again will i buy your products

Comments

• PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Are you talking abouth NCsoft shutting down CoH? Or is something I don't know about?
  • ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204
    of course, I am referring to the shutting down. so bloody damn wrong !
  • PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Yeah, it was good game. I never read up on it though, why they shut it down I mean. Is it because of sub numbers? Or did they just want to retire it?
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

For all its supposed greatness it's not deemed profitable by NCSoft. Based on their Q3 report, COH is nowhere in their list of top moneymakers, but belongs to the "Others" category, which make up a mere 6% of their total income.

Lineage 1 - 23%

Lineage 2 - 8%

AION - 16%

Blae & Soul - 20%

GW2 - 27%

Others - 6%

Don't be mad at a company who simply didn't wish to lose more money. Be mad at all the other people out there who won't play your endeared game.

Or maybe you could write a letter to NCSoft and invest in their CoX title, just to keep it afloat.

maybe it wasnt in the top money-maker group, but a lot of people loved it and were still playing,and had been for a long time. they didnt mind taking our money in the good times, they owed us ,on a moral basis,better than this.

the best super-hero game ever, the best character creation ever, the most engrossing story-line,the greatest community, the most fun game,innovative in the 1st degree. Damn, I will miss you.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Seriously, how long has EQ1 been around? That can't be a big profit item for them yet they are still going strong and have tons of expansion packs. See this is where I see the problem with free to play. Sure you might do good for a few years, but when people quit buying stuff, there is no income coming in. What they should have done was stay sub based but maybe lower the sub cost some.

I am sorry to see COH go. While I havent played in a while, it was a pretty fun game. There was one thing that always bugged me about both COH and COV and that was 40+ the game was so fun 1-39. As soon as you get 40+ though the villians scaled way higher in power then they should have, compared to the rest of the game. I sure did love flying around the cities though. Lots of fun there!

once incarnate powers came around, that imbalance was fixed,and yeah,flying was always fun :)

edit- I guess I take it especially hard,as this was the last game my wife and I played together. I am a widower now,and this hits really close to home as I am sure you can understand..

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Seriously, how long has EQ1 been around? That can't be a big profit item for them yet they are still going strong and have tons of expansion packs. See this is where I see the problem with free to play. Sure you might do good for a few years, but when people quit buying stuff, there is no income coming in. What they should have done was stay sub based but maybe lower the sub cost some.

I am sorry to see COH go. While I havent played in a while, it was a pretty fun game. There was one thing that always bugged me about both COH and COV and that was 40+ the game was so fun 1-39. As soon as you get 40+ though the villians scaled way higher in power then they should have, compared to the rest of the game. I sure did love flying around the cities though. Lots of fun there!

EQ = Sony Online Entertainment 

CoH was still making a profit, but according to NCSoft not enough to warrant keeping online. It only really had a following in the USA, that's the place where the superhero scene is that big. In Europe there's some hype around superhero movies, but that's it...

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    They needed the server hardware for GuildWars 2. lol
    Originally posted by Lustmord

I kind of rather doubt that :)  the reality is greed,as always.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by Freezzo
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01

EQ = Sony Online Entertainment 

CoH was still making a profit, but according to NCSoft not enough to warrant keeping online. It only really had a following in the USA, that's the place where the superhero scene is that big. In Europe there's some hype around superhero movies, but that's it...

Yep, I know who EQ belongs to. My point was that game has been around for 13 years and its still going. ncsoft should have been able to keep coh going with a profit. maybe its not the millions they want but come on, if you have a decent player base then keep it going. Is it really hurting them if its still making money?

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Arakane

maybe it wasnt in the top money-maker group, but a lot of people loved it and were still playing,and had been for a long time. they didnt mind taking our money in the good times, they owed us ,on a moral basis,better than this.

the best super-hero game ever, the best character creation ever, the most engrossing story-line,the greatest community, the most fun game,innovative in the 1st degree. Damn, I will miss you.

Most corporashions do not know this thing you call morality.  To them it is immoral to lose money because they only owe their shareholders, not their customers.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Lustmord

HAHA that made me laugh and think you might be right, that would explain all the lag and people taking a few seconds to load in in WvW

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Most corporashions do not know this thing you call morality.  To them it is immoral to lose money because they only owe their shareholders, not their customers.

yes,sadly,you are probably right my friend.

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

Don't be mad at a company who simply didn't wish to lose more money. Be mad at all the other people out there who won't play your endeared game.

Or maybe you could write a letter to NCSoft and invest in their CoX title, just to keep it afloat.

Except by all accounts CoH wasn't actually loosing money.  It was still profitable, just not profitable enough I expect.  The big issue (for me) is the sudden cancleation with no cost-cutting measures to make the game more profitable first.  Heck, the dev team didn't even know it was an issue until they came in to work and found out one day ... in the middle of working on their next big issue(patch).

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

They owed you nothing. You gave them money, they provided a service. The service wasn't redeemable in the eyes of those who are in control of such things, and they canceled the project. Morality has nothing to do with it. It sucks to lose a game you love, but nothing lasts forever.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

the best super-hero game ever, the best character creation ever, the most engrossing story-line,the greatest community, the most fun game,innovative in the 1st degree. 

i played it as free to play a few times and i found it OK, bad old graphics with some slow skill activation that felt a bit clunky but still a good game, i liked it for what it was. However, i never heard anyone saying these things while the game was alive, ever. I noticed the same with SWG, while the game was alive nobody said it was the best until it was shut down with low population

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Phlacc
    Yeah, it was good game. I never read up on it though, why they shut it down I mean. Is it because of sub numbers? Or did they just want to retire it?

Although it was making money, it wasn't making enough money for the resources spent.    Better spending the money elsewhere for higher return.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by rojo6934

the best super-hero game ever, the best character creation ever, the most engrossing story-line,the greatest community, the most fun game,innovative in the 1st degree. 

i played it as free to play a few times and i found it OK, bad old graphics with some slow skill activation that felt a bit clunky but still a good game, i liked it for what it was. However, i never heard anyone saying these things while the game was alive, ever. I noticed the same with SWG, while the game was alive nobody said it was the best until it was shut down with low population

It really depends on where you spent your online time.  Over at Massively people would talk up CoH fairly regularly when there were news articles about it or any of the other comic book games.

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67

For all its supposed greatness it's not deemed profitable by NCSoft. Based on their Q3 report, COH is nowhere in their list of top moneymakers, but belongs to the "Others" category, which make up a mere 6% of their total income.

Lineage 1 - 23%

Lineage 2 - 8%

AION - 16%

Blae & Soul - 20%

GW2 - 27%

Others - 6%

I don't understand. Blade & Soul is still in beta, how can it count as one of NCSofts biggest cash cows?

• HolyCrusaderHolyCrusader Member Posts: 2

The character creator alone in CoH has forever raised my expectations on what's possible for games, and a huge reason I find most other MMO's lacking (the other reason being that most everybody just tries to duplicate the EQ/WoW model).  It was also one of the few online games that didn't bore me in the first week.

NCSoft has killed far too many games, and the way they cancelled CoH is what hurts the most.  The game was still profitable, the devs had no warning whatsoever, and it's strongly suspected that NCSoft never even *tried* to sell the license or take any other means to raise the game's profitability if that was indeed the problem with the game.

With NCSoft's track record, I estimate Guild Wars 1 will be cancelled within a year.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Edelbert

Lineage 1 - 23%

Lineage 2 - 8%

AION - 16%

Blae & Soul - 20%

GW2 - 27%

Others - 6%

I don't understand. Blade & Soul is still in beta, how can it count as one of NCSofts biggest cash cows?

Blade and Soul was released in late june in Korea and in august in China, it's the versions for the rest of the world that are still in beta.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I disagree.  I played the game for a few years starting during release.  Thought it was an awesome game.  I also thought it was incredibly repetitive and required a lot of grind. 

Game never really did attract that many people to it, and it stuck around for like 8 years; that's pretty respectable.  It's not like they didn't try, what do you guys thing the F2P change over was about?  MMO's don't go F2P because they're doing well with a subscription, it's traditionally the last resort of a game to stay live.  

I played for a few months when it went free to play.  It was nice, pretty much everything was unlocked due to my time having been subbed.  The servers didn't really appear any fuller.  Freedom was deffinately fuller, but it was always the one server that would sit at high. 

I have to agree with what the guy said about blaming the wrong people.  Ever since they announced the shut down I've seen a LOT of posts of people saying the same thing.  It's a shame, looked like a fun game, never pllayed it.  If all the people that thought it looked like a cool game actually played it it would still be running. 

They didn't do it to spite you.  You're taking it to personally. 

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I LOVED CoH. As much as one can really love something like a game.

It was my first MMO, and I judge all other by that standard. All others fail in all respects, when held to that standard.

Alas though like all things CoX changed. Players demanded player driven content...and players got Mission Architect. That alone almost doomed the game to ruin. Not a big surprise when if you polled 10 mission architects, you would find 1 who attempted to make a fun mish, 8 who where making mish's to PL, and 1 who was making an offensive joke. I know I know, we all played some of the AWESOME player created content......but..to find that mish you need to do the afore mentioned poll 10 times to find the 1 that made a quality mish. Lets face it if doing quality developement was easy ALL MMOs would have awesome content falling out of their butts.

We made it through though, then came the Incarnate Trials, and "Gold". While on the surface these should have been additions that garnered more support and subs...they did not.

Then "Freemium" came and slapped those that would come back in the face, with lockouts of many capped players since they didnt buy the PetClass pack.

Mostly I just hold fond memories...My favorite?...Hehe

Hamidon raid...Before they capped the zone to 50 players...There we were, Hamidon is almost about to go down...But wait..CC has been lost...Yep thats right, a Yellow Mito for every player in zone....Insta-Death to all in a blinding flash of yello. There were 122 of us there that day...Good times Good times.

*wipes a tear and pours out a bit of super-power granting goo on the gound*    "This one is for my Hommies on Virtue, wherever the winds  take you my friends."

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Uhwop

I disagree.  I played the game for a few years starting during release.  Thought it was an awesome game.  I also thought it was incredibly repetitive and required a lot of grind. 

Game never really did attract that many people to it, and it stuck around for like 8 years; that's pretty respectable.  It's not like they didn't try, what do you guys thing the F2P change over was about?  MMO's don't go F2P because they're doing well with a subscription, it's traditionally the last resort of a game to stay live.  

I played for a few months when it went free to play.  It was nice, pretty much everything was unlocked due to my time having been subbed.  The servers didn't really appear any fuller.  Freedom was deffinately fuller, but it was always the one server that would sit at high. 

I have to agree with what the guy said about blaming the wrong people.  Ever since they announced the shut down I've seen a LOT of posts of people saying the same thing.  It's a shame, looked like a fun game, never pllayed it.  If all the people that thought it looked like a cool game actually played it it would still be running. 

They didn't do it to spite you.  You're taking it to personally. 

After the closure annoubncement I played through a new character and the starting areas were completley changed, plus going through the missions, you had choices a bit like SWTOR. I did not realise this until then.

On the one hand the game is not the same as what I rembereed but on the other hand it gave more different content

Also I was still using an old Pentium 4 until about a few months ago, and the game started to struggle on it, despite being OK before, so did not play it much despite having 6 +1 free month sub. Then it renewed a week before the shutdown and thought I get the most out of it on my new PC, but could not as game was shutting and there was not enough time in the end, and my other account was locked out until the end.

They changed the game a lot for F2P, and for it to shut down after only a year, is what got to me.   Why go to all that effort to only shut it down a year later? Watse of time and money (for NC Soft).  If it shut down without going F2P it would have been understandable, and it proabbly shut down because it cost them money to change it to F2P, and F2P did not get their money back from it and never looked like it would do. If it did not go F2P it may have lasted longer.

Whether NC Soft had no choice to shut it down or not, I do not care, but I do not trust them again, and will not devote any time and money in another one of their games when they can shut them down at any time.  COH is not the only NC Soft MMO to suffer unreasonable closures from NC Soft

Also posted on the Titan forums for trying to save the game, they posted that NC Soft has been struggling more so with the announcement of the closure of City of Heroes, and are now heading towards bankruptcy.  They probably would have been better off keeping it active, and maybe closing GW1 instead, which has probably dropped below COH after GW2 release. COH closure only came just as GW2 released, so they could not see the demise of GW1 at that time. Shutting down GW1 for GW2 would have been more understandable too.