Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a game!

Hey all,

I just need some recommendations on a new game to try out. I've played Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2 (loved it but got slowly bored after I hit 80), SWTOR (playing off and on just for a change of genre), LOTRO (mostly for RP anymore), started EQ II but couldn't get past the graphics (still trying to get past the tutorial area), tried a freeshard with DAOC and REALLY couldn't get past the graphics (AMAZING game when I tried it back in the day), downloaded AoC and tried it, got bored quickly, and downloaded WoW and started it and quit after I remembered the grind started with the first quest.

SO,

I'm looking either for an MMO that ISN'T much of a grind OR one that is but is fun and has a good community because I don't mind grinding so much as I have fun talking to people at the same time.

If I've offended anyone somehow with what I've said above, I don't mean to. This is just the way I, as an individual felt. If you love one of the games that I grew bored with then I'm envious of you for finding a game that entertains you so much. That's what I want.

Comments

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145
    The Secret World isn't much of a grind to get a fair amount of skill points. Endgame at the moment is sort of a gear treadmill and the pvp could use some work but they have indeed been working on it. I haven't played in a little over two months though since I am out of the country at the moment. The builds are fun and so is the world and questing, but it is a themepark and I don't know how you feel about those, but it is a rather well designed one in its theme and skill wheel.
  • lucasdeislucasdeis Member Posts: 59
    just try swtor. it doesn't matter what the people say, just try it and see for yourself
  • Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by RandomDown
    The Secret World isn't much of a grind to get a fair amount of skill points. Endgame at the moment is sort of a gear treadmill and the pvp could use some work but they have indeed been working on it. I haven't played in a little over two months though since I am out of the country at the moment. The builds are fun and so is the world and questing, but it is a themepark and I don't know how you feel about those, but it is a rather well designed one in its theme and skill wheel.

I will try anything right now bud, I was in beta but couldn't get into it for some reason. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

• Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by lucasdeis
    just try swtor. it doesn't matter what the people say, just try it and see for yourself

I am bud, I believe I listed that. Working a Jedi Guardian through the 30's now. Just getting a bit tired of the grind. Enjoying the community from what I've seen so far though, but it seems small as MMO's go.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside 2

If you like daoc rvr and gw2 WvW you will like ps2.
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Zeppelin5083
    Originally posted by lucasdeis

I am bud, I believe I listed that. Working a Jedi Guardian through the 30's now. Just getting a bit tired of the grind. Enjoying the community from what I've seen so far though, but it seems small as MMO's go.

The primary issue here is that mmorpgs are gonna be grindy no matter what. The reasoning is that their design mechanics, mainly in the form of gameplay are usually the same as well as simplistic. NPCs/mobs cannot have more expensive patterns in their design and behavior, so a mob at low lvl is the same generally speaking at high lvl. It is easy to get bored of this pattern fast.

The grind is then a means to force the player to invest more time, aka time sink, into the game, becaues the gameplay isnt developed enough to warrant a long hours of unique play.

NO matter what, in a mmorpg you will face grind, until they develop something different. Outside of pvp and player to playe interaction, I havent seen a deviation from this.

Given that much info, I wouldnt suggest you need a mmorpg as much as you want something to waste time in, something you can waste time in that doenst seem boring or similar after a few days.

That said, there are a few games out there that have generally kept me entertained from anywhere around 100-300 hours of play. One of my favorites, and the one I am recommending here and now is X3    http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12985/  (many hours of freeform gameplay, great AI, huge mod and content making community, years of mods and content worth adding)

It is NOT a mmorpg, but it will feel like one.

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Originally posted by Goatgod76
    Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

That is a good suggestion if you're looking for a more classical EQ grinding situatino where you group up and just slaughter mobs for hours. There are quests of course but they aren't the driving reason for xp gain.

DCUO is liked by some people. Its not a bad game and you level pretty quickly. I don't see it as a big timesink kind of game, more of one to goof around in.