Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Mortal Online: Now Free to Play

13»

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,191Member Uncommon
    Tried it, just a horrible example of a sandbox.  Just cannot support such a clueless development staff.
  • LahuzerLahuzer BorPosts: 668Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Tried it, just a horrible example of a sandbox.  Just cannot support such a clueless development staff.

Ohh, and what sandbox part is so horrible? Nice and deep explaining you did there. Care to elaborate?

• Bloodlust221Bloodlust221 Killeen, TXPosts: 97Member Uncommon
    definitely going to try it, looks like a great game
  • fatboy21007fatboy21007 triadelphia, WVPosts: 409Member
    trying it so far, graphics a bit crappy so far, but i dont count graphics as gameplay :-P But so far experience has been good, shall see as i progress1
  • CypeqCypeq TychyPosts: 66Member
    Looks like UO meets Elderscrolls gotta check it.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,191Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lahuzer

Ohh, and what sandbox part is so horrible? Nice and deep explaining you did there. Care to elaborate?

Go try it and find out for yourself.  I am surprised the game is still available.  Most people who subbed left the game, pretty good indication my analysis is spot on.  Really irks me when people play sandbox games that are this bad and then associate  that with what a sandbox is.

• LahuzerLahuzer BorPosts: 668Member Uncommon

Go try it and find out for yourself.  I am surprised the game is still available.  Most people who subbed left the game, pretty good indication my analysis is spot on.  Really irks me when people play sandbox games that are this bad and then associate  that with what a sandbox is.

Ohh, rly? I´m a old player and I´m still subbed, and so are many others that I know ingame, so there goes that analyze... Everything that is in this trailer for instance are ingame, and are sandbox elements, and are working. SO still don´t get what SO bad with the game. Sure it has bugs etc. But the actuall gameplay is in my eyes unique for a MMO. I thank god that sandbox games like MO, Xsyon, DF:UW etc are getting some attention now. And I hope more peeps test these games, and knows that a broken sandbox beats a top notch themepark any day. ;)

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 , CAPosts: 2,447Member Uncommon
    I tried the trial some time ago and it was pretty bad. I see no reason to play for free in a game I'd never want to pay for.
  • britzbanbritzban Brocton, NYPosts: 249Member Common
    I don't understand why everyt one thinks the donation page on their website is the subscription fees....everyday I wonder how people even put their pants on.
  • AevirAevir GothenburgPosts: 6Member
    I'm having fun so far. It's a little rough game to get into but I can't wait to tame my first horse and I'm going to explore the shit out of the continent. Much better game since last time I played, but I wish Star Vault would make the game a little bit more accessible for new players. More bugfixes and optimization, then I'll be content. image
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Llandrindod WellsPosts: 364Member

Personally, I think the problem Mortal Online has is that it's a great proof of concept... but not a great end product.

Clearly it aspires to an "Ultima Online meets The Elder Scrolls" style of game play; as appealing as that idea may sound, StarVault have managed to labour the point with tedious (sometimes game breaking) bugs and poor system development.

The skill system, for example, is a sound idea: you "level" your skillsets by performing actions related to those skillsets. As your develop particular skills, you become better, more powerful, faster. It's no different to the TES skill system pre-Skyrim, perhaps even a little more abstracted. The problem is that the rewards for progression aren't really very clear. Yes, you attain the ability to do OTHER things, such as craft better armour or tame better horses, but the game doesn't take the time to make those actions feel rewarding. As an added bonus, the experience of crafting frequently ends in a bug that either forces you to start again, or causes you to close the game out of frustration.

Gathering the resources isn't too hard, btw. You can just macro it.

I'm not going to bother going on about other things in the game, because the above sentiment holds true in almost all areas of the game. The game is buggy, the execution of the core components of the game is shoddy and amatuerish, and the game is easily hacked and exploited.

I also get the impression that MO sometimes forgets it's a game, and not a history stimulator. I don't particularly want to spend hours of my time building the many and varied layers of my player house; I just want the house. Sure, make it cost something, and challenge me as a player to make it more rewarding; please don't challenge me by practically making me build a house in the same way I would have to build a house in the real world. If I wanted to build a house like that, I'd build a house... in the real world. The actual design ethos behind the game feels odd, as if they conciously look for ways to obstruct and deter the player. The feeling I get is that this is a game for people who think battling through obstructive and detering content is the mark of a true player. Whilst not "true elitism", it stinks of the same misguided arrogance that most elitists waft around.

Regardless, Mortal Online is a game that was never going to appeal to a mass audience. It isn't convinient enough, or direct enough. People like sandboxes, but they also like to have a path to relate to inside that sandbox. All of the explorable content in the world is great, but if you don't provide players with a path - both narratively and literally - that they can attain some context from, then you're not going to have a good game. The Elder Scrolls is a great example of this; I have never managed to complete Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim, but I have logged hundreds of hours in each of them. The story in those games provided me with a path that I could anchor my otherwise non-linear gaming experience to. Wrap that lack of direction up in a fully open-world PvP game (and all the costs such a game incurs), and you have a thoroughly confusing and outrageously aggressive game that mainstream audiences are going to steer well clear of.

All in all, Mortal Online is a fundamentally and near-totally flawed execution of an otherwise brilliant idea. It feels, as stated, like a proof of concept, and isn't something I would at all be happy paying money for. StarVault have failed to capitalise on the opportunity they had with Mortal Online, much in the same way Aventurine floundered away the opportunities that Darkfall created. This F2P conversion may gain them a huge crowd of free players, but it's unlikely bring the paying customers rolling in. It's certainly not going to save the game from the perma-death that awaits it.

• TalonsinTalonsin Posts: 1,478Member Uncommon

Ohh, rly? I´m a old player and I´m still subbed, and so are many others that I know ingame, so there goes that analyze... Everything that is in this trailer for instance are ingame, and are sandbox elements, and are working. SO still don´t get what SO bad with the game. Sure it has bugs etc. But the actuall gameplay is in my eyes unique for a MMO. I thank god that sandbox games like MO, Xsyon, DF:UW etc are getting some attention now. And I hope more peeps test these games, and knows that a broken sandbox beats a top notch themepark any day. ;)

You do realize this company has NEVER had a profitable quarter right?  You do realize that this game has continued to bleed subscribers every quarter right?  You do realize that this game lost subscribers following their biggest expansion right?  You do realize that the last financial statement proved that the game has less than 2500 subscribers and that is a few months after the big expansion that was supposed to save the game and fix so many things.

I find it odd that such a large percentage of people who tried the game have left and yet you, who claim to have subbed to it for so long cant find anything wrong with it.  Perhaps the rest of the world is wrong and it really is a great game...  Perhaps the financial world is wrong and the companies stock really should not be at an all-time low... 

• GenadiGenadi BrisbanePosts: 110Member

Ohh, rly? I´m a old player and I´m still subbed, and so are many others that I know ingame, so there goes that analyze...

Sigh, did you even read his post before replying? He said most people who subbed left the game, which is very much true. Just because you and your friends still hang on doesn't change that fact. Ask the LGM he admitted it only 2 weeks ago. With KotO gone there was less than 200 paid subs. There is a reason they went f2p so quickly.

Sick of people lately who ignore glaring facts in their arguments and try to distort things to fit their own narrative.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,474Member Uncommon
    This F2P move where the full game is still a sub makes the game not sitiing with the current market value. I look at real F2P and B2P games out now like GW2 and others coming out like Neverwinter and I just say no thanks. This looks lower quality and to get access to the full game I need a sub. ((logs back into GW2))

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

13»