Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[General Article] Guild Wars 2: The State of PvP

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,597MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

ArenaNet has been making some pretty significant changes to PvP in Guild Wars 2 over the last couple of months. In our latest article, we take a look at the State of PvP in Guild Wars 2. Read on and then join the conversation in the comments.

On the one hand, ArenaNet has been lauded for its intention to shake up the traditional MMO mold as it relates to quest design and player participation in PvE areas.  Rather than approaching Guild Wars 2 with the tried, true, and tired formula of centralized quest hubs and kill X, fetch Y activities, the Bellevue-based studio opted for a gameplay design based on dynamic content, wherein adventuring and advancement depend more upon tiered locational events than static quest givers.  ArenaNet's game also highly encourages open grouping, doing away with conventional mob tagging, and incentivizing player collaboration.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Guild Wars 2: The State of PvP.

image

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

image
«13

Comments

  • NephaeriusNephaerius Baltimore, MDPosts: 1,539Member Uncommon

    I was highly looking forward to PvP in GW2 from my GW1 experience.  However, I've been burned and disappointed.  Only a single mode for sPvP.  World v World was plagued with hackers when the orbs were still around, free server transfers continue, siege equipment has been buggy (setting up right behind doors, despawning randomly, etc.), and player culling makes entire armies appear on top of you without you having any chance to react.

    As far as balance goes, a dev team that did an amazing job in their first game has gone about it in an abyssmal manner in their sequel.  There's certain classes that see almost 0 play in Tournament PvP because they're outshined in every way by other classes.  A good example of this being the Ranger.  Sticking with Ranger the point is not that they're useless or broken (except for the fact that pets can't hit moving targets), simply that everything they can do another class can do better (ex: conditions Ranger - you're much better off playing Thief if you want to stack conditions). 

    Also, Ascended gear.......

    This PoV coming from 80Ranger/80Thief/25 everything else...not bothering to play any more.  Played GW1 for over 3 years straight.

     
     

    Steam: Neph

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    The state of pvp : not as good as planetside 2.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM ZagrebPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    The state of pvp : not as good as planetside 2.

    Oh, no! you didn't just compare an FPS with RPG...

  • AvisonAvison Orlando, FLPosts: 350Member
    The state of GW2 pvp is comparable to a gigantic steaming turd. They halfassed the whole thing. GW2 is a complete step back from GW1 in almost every aspect.

    image
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon
    I was hoping the WvsW would be a lot more like DAOC RvR Pre-ToA. That isn't the case though, sadly.

    image

    What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

  • gambe1gambe1 KrmeljPosts: 123Member
    Every time i see a new article about GW2 on mmorpg.com i ask my self: Are they playing some other version of GW2 than i do? Cuz it sure ain't as fun and dandy as they describe it. 
     
  • XiaokiXiaoki White Pigeon, MIPosts: 2,602Member Uncommon

    This is hilarious.


    MMORPG.com article - GW2s PvP is fast, furious and fun


    players - it sucks


    MMORPG.com once again proves that it is clueless.

  • azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,066Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

    This is hilarious.


    MMORPG.com article - GW2s PvP is fast, furious and fun


    players - it sucks


    MMORPG.com once again proves that it is clueless.

    newsflash everone has opinions and are actually entitled to one even if it isnt one shared by you.

     

    As for sPvP, I havnt played a match since beta because I actually feel instanced style Battlegeround style queing PvP is a deterrent to PvP in an MMO.  However as far as WvW is concerned, its been a complete blast, the last 3 matchups for our server has been as close to 3 faction RvR DAoC as a game can ever be.

    Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

    Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

    Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

    image

  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member

    It is their opinion - your opinion is the other side. Again people stating opinions as actual fact and that get's old.

     

     

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  • ThorbrandThorbrand West Palm Beach, FLPosts: 1,198Member
    Instance PvP is that no matter how to try to make it look. SPvP or WvW is all instance in GW2. Never like instance PvP since WoW implemented it in their game and started that trend for crappy PvP in MMOs. Just keep supporting them and killing the genre that all everyone is doing now!
  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Instance PvP is that no matter how to try to make it look. SPvP or WvW is all instance in GW2. Never like instance PvP since WoW implemented it in their game and started that trend for crappy PvP in MMOs. Just keep supporting them and killing the genre that all everyone is doing now!

    THen the genre to youo is dead. I think open world PvP is the death of the MMO genre. It takes more than PvP to make a game.

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  • rmk70rmk70 Toronto, ONPosts: 397Member Uncommon

    I think they could do good things if they made WvWvW more meaningful. It just doesn't feel like you're really contributing to anything...

     

    Same with sPvP but on a smaller scale.

     

    I'd like to see amble progression (leveling, meaningful achievements, titles, skins, equipment rewards) opportunities via WvWvW as well as tangible server /  game impact from outcomes of WvWvW.

     

    PvE is so bland in GW2 that PvP is their real opportunity to make this game shine. 

  • Bad.dogBad.dog Belleville, ONPosts: 1,108Member
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Instance PvP is that no matter how to try to make it look. SPvP or WvW is all instance in GW2. Never like instance PvP since WoW implemented it in their game and started that trend for crappy PvP in MMOs. Just keep supporting them and killing the genre that all everyone is doing now!

    Actually wasn't it Daoc that had instance PVP? ...

  • ZeprimusZeprimus Southern MN, MNPosts: 40Member
    Originally posted by rmk70

    I think they could do good things if they made WvWvW more meaningful. It just doesn't feel like you're really contributing to anything...

     

    Same with sPvP but on a smaller scale.

     

    I'd like to see amble progression (leveling, meaningful achievements, titles, skins, equipment rewards) opportunities via WvWvW as well as tangible server /  game impact from outcomes of WvWvW.

     

    PvE is so bland in GW2 that PvP is their real opportunity to make this game shine. 

     

    I agree. For me, sPvP and WvWvW have been fun...but at the end of the day, they don't carry a sense of progression in any sense. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, but just a sense that my actions within those forms of PvP will carry something forward would be nice. While WvW aims to do that, I don't think it necessarily feels that way when it's just zerg v. zerg all the time.

    image
  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Bad dog.
    No coh was the first mmo with instanced pvp. Daoc had no instancing whatsoever in either pvp or pve

    Zeus:
    It's a fair comparison. Planetside 2 is a rvr game. WvW is Arenanets take on rvr.

    Fps mechanics aside, planetside dies it better.
    1 its bigger both in terms if land mass and players on screen
    2 its more strategic
    3 there's more rivalry - you know who shot you, you get to see all the rival guilds
    4 integrated Voip
    5 less p2w, no being forced to grind pve or use the cash shop to pay for your repairs and seige gear
    6 you don't spend 4 hours assaulting a base for the server to then turn round an hour later and go "gonna reset you now and pair you with some random unknown dudes on some other random servers"
  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Bad dog.
    No coh was the first mmo with instanced pvp. Daoc had no instancing whatsoever in either pvp or pve

    Zeus:
    It's a fair comparison. Planetside 2 is a rvr game. WvW is Arenanets take on rvr.

    Fps mechanics aside, planetside dies it better.
    1 its bigger both in terms if land mass and players on screen
    2 its more strategic
    3 there's more rivalry - you know who shot you, you get to see all the rival guilds
    4 integrated Voip
    5 less p2w, no being forced to grind pve or use the cash shop to pay for your repairs and seige gear
    6 you don't spend 4 hours assaulting a base for the server to then turn round an hour later and go "gonna reset you now and pair you with some random unknown dudes on some other random servers"

    Not a fiar comparison. A.Net said they will fix some things and also add in GvG which is what GW1 was really known for. There is not P2W in GW2 - sorry that is a non-sense argument.

     

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  • ZinzanZinzan NorthPosts: 1,351Member
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Bad dog.
    No coh was the first mmo with instanced pvp. Daoc had no instancing whatsoever in either pvp or pve

    Zeus:
    It's a fair comparison. Planetside 2 is a rvr game. WvW is Arenanets take on rvr.

    Fps mechanics aside, planetside dies it better.
    1 its bigger both in terms if land mass and players on screen
    2 its more strategic
    3 there's more rivalry - you know who shot you, you get to see all the rival guilds
    4 integrated Voip
    5 less p2w, no being forced to grind pve or use the cash shop to pay for your repairs and seige gear
    6 you don't spend 4 hours assaulting a base for the server to then turn round an hour later and go "gonna reset you now and pair you with some random unknown dudes on some other random servers"

    Spot the guy who never played DAoC.

    No instancing in pve? What a joke, the game had plenty of instancing. Task dungeons were all instances and lots of the pve quests had instanced sections to them.

    Planetside was strategic, PS2 is a murder-bowl, no more or less strategy than GW2.

    PS2 is more P2W than GW2.

    Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

  • DarrgenDarrgen alcoa, TNPosts: 65Member
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Bad dog.
    No coh was the first mmo with instanced pvp. Daoc had no instancing whatsoever in either pvp or pve

    Zeus:
    It's a fair comparison. Planetside 2 is a rvr game. WvW is Arenanets take on rvr.

    Fps mechanics aside, planetside dies it better.
    1 its bigger both in terms if land mass and players on screen
    2 its more strategic
    3 there's more rivalry - you know who shot you, you get to see all the rival guilds
    4 integrated Voip
    5 less p2w, no being forced to grind pve or use the cash shop to pay for your repairs and seige gear
    6 you don't spend 4 hours assaulting a base for the server to then turn round an hour later and go "gonna reset you now and pair you with some random unknown dudes on some other random servers"

    Spot the guy who never played DAoC.

    No instancing in pve? What a joke, the game had plenty of instancing. Task dungeons were all instances and lots of the pve quests had instanced sections to them.

    Planetside was strategic, PS2 is a murder-bowl, no more or less strategy than GW2.

    PS2 is more P2W than GW2.

    Spot the guy that played DaoC when it was on it's way out. Daoc actually didn't have instances for anything until a few expansions in when many considered DaoC a sinking ship.

  • VancePantsVancePants Los Angeles, CAPosts: 43Member
    I like sPvP and I think it's fun.

    :D

  • Soull85Soull85 BucurestiPosts: 15Member
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

    I was highly looking forward to PvP in GW2 from my GW1 experience.  However, I've been burned and disappointed.  Only a single mode for sPvP.  World v World was plagued with hackers when the orbs were still around, free server transfers continue, siege equipment has been buggy (setting up right behind doors, despawning randomly, etc.), and player culling makes entire armies appear on top of you without you having any chance to react.

    As far as balance goes, a dev team that did an amazing job in their first game has gone about it in an abyssmal manner in their sequel.  There's certain classes that see almost 0 play in Tournament PvP because they're outshined in every way by other classes.  A good example of this being the Ranger.  Sticking with Ranger the point is not that they're useless or broken (except for the fact that pets can't hit moving targets), simply that everything they can do another class can do better (ex: conditions Ranger - you're much better off playing Thief if you want to stack conditions). 

    Also, Ascended gear.......

    This PoV coming from 80Ranger/80Thief/25 everything else...not bothering to play any more.  Played GW1 for over 3 years straight.

     
     

    this is very true, the class balance in pvp is non existent and spvp becoming an esport anytime soon is just nonsens.

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Task dungeons came with catacombs, part of the wowification of daoc along with toa.

    I've never ran them

    Prior to cata, daoc had zero instancing, all areas were persistent zones including battlegrounds and dungeons.

    As for gw2 isn't p2w. Yeah sure WvW pays for itself, your not forced to spend time doing boring pve shit to pay for them goes and repairs (or dell some gems)
  • cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon
    how can anyone expect WvW to be anything other than a shell of what DAOC when you have two nitwit devs designing it with matt witter and mike fergason. Those two havent even responded on their forums in months now and cant even get over the culling issue thats been in there since release. While I think the pve side of this game is going places . I think with those two devs being the ones who decide wvw , its never going to amount to anything fun other than a zerge fest with no point to it. Just the decision of split up small maps tells you how out of touch those two really are with DAOC yet they bragged about working on it , which btw they didnt they were warhammer devs. Daily you see Anet postings on their forums with plans and ideas they are working on , yet you do not hear one word mentioned about world vs world ever , its sad really.
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,277Member Uncommon

    I bought the game for the Spvp. I was thinking it would be like a WoW Arena type experience. What I found was sorley devoid of the raw, emotion evoking, life or death competitive play that Arenas gave. 

     

    Spvp is were the people from WoW went who complained that Gladiators had better gear, A casuals paradise.

     

    One more thing. I only get to were the gear I grinded in this little box called the mist? wtf Anet?

  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member


    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Task dungeons came with catacombs, part of the wowification of daoc along with toa.I've never ran them Prior to cata, daoc had zero instancing, all areas were persistent zones including battlegrounds and dungeons.As for gw2 isn't p2w. Yeah sure WvW pays for itself, your not forced to spend time doing boring pve shit to pay for them goes and repairs (or dell some gems)

    Er...that's not what pay to win means. Pay to win means you pay some cash and you can win because of the advantage it gives you. It doesn't mean that you have to put some effort into being good at winning in a large scale multiplayer PvP scenario.

    ** edit **
    And WvW can pay for itself. I don't play the game (just didn't grab me) but the guy I sit next to at work does, and he does nothing but WvW. He's leveling a character through WvW. He's not having any issues with gear, repair bills or anything of the kind.

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Wolcott, NYPosts: 671Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rmk70

    I think they could do good things if they made WvWvW more meaningful. It just doesn't feel like you're really contributing to anything...

     

    Same with sPvP but on a smaller scale.

     

    I'd like to see amble progression (leveling, meaningful achievements, titles, skins, equipment rewards) opportunities via WvWvW as well as tangible server /  game impact from outcomes of WvWvW.

     

    PvE is so bland in GW2 that PvP is their real opportunity to make this game shine. 

    I do agree (mostly). The PvP apsect in GW2 needs to have more meaning. My impression of WvWvW was "zerg, zerg, zerg". Needless to say I was not impressed. I did not do sPvP yet in GW2 (my interest has been divided recently). As far as PvE I have enjoyed myself completely! I can not recall the last time I played through PvE in a game and enjoyed every aspect of the experience. I DO NOT miss the quest hubs one bit! I love the freedom of just exploring the world or looking for resources and stumbling apon someone crying out for help, or someone letting me know a fight has broke out near by.

     

      The PvP setup in GW2 needs more changes (imo). It needs something that gives purpose to the battles besides getting the next gear item or making another / on your weapon chalking up the kills. Most MMO PvP just does not give meaning for playing. I want consequences for losing or winning (more than what is offered). Most MMOs even in PvE fail to make the affects known around you when something good or bad happens. Most the time you get the impression that "This too shall pass". Just wait an hour or a day and everything is back the way it was.

     

     

    image

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.