Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 gets a 90 from pcgamer.com

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

pcgamer.com's Planetside 2 review.

"Dogfights in the frigid air, gunfights among the trees of a dense jungle, tanks duelling across the plains of a red desert: like stars in the night sky, PlanetSide 2 is beautiful."

I tend to agree. I may even go a bit higher. PS2 is the evolution of the FPS. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    and the devolution of the mmo.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    and the devolution of the mmo.

No, it bumped the mmo up in a big way, but did nothing for the mmorpg. I think you are confusing the two.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Only a 90? What lowballers
  • mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151

pc gamer was also related to the control of beta keys selling copies of the magazine to get one... Go figure

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

75% of the people playing the Beta were not from PCGamer keys.  Every website that talked to the people, the FB page, website, and every event that they had, they gave away beta keys.

I seriously doubt that the fact that they had keys to give away swayed their scoring. It is a fun game with tons of potential to be a seriously long lived game.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    its a fun game but ballance is far far off due to some idiotic nerfs right after beta but its fixable if they can get a grip on it..else the game will die as fast as APB.  other then that its a shooter..nothing more , nothing less. always fun to jump into for a hour untill the said ballance issue's  start anoying you.
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Good score for a good game, I like PS2, battlerank 31 now, and heading back in now, cyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    First time i have real gaming fun in years.  I was a mmofps hater and now i love it
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

My enjoyment of the game increased tremendously when i got into my outfit, when I was running around by myself I was bored and annoyed.  Once I got into the outfit and went through some of their training and started running in platoon with them, I started to have a great time.

Who you play with, I think, is going to have a BIG effect on how much you enjoy the game.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    First mmo in ages to actually deserve its 9/10 score

Gw2 was more of a 7 or 8
    Swtor was more of a 3 or 4
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Gw2 was more of a 7 or 8
    Swtor was more of a 3 or 4

I'd give TOR a 7 at least, I enjoyed the heck out of the pve and story (though I think TSW's story and voice acting was superior) while leveling up, and doing a bit of raiding at 50.  PVP, crafting and long term end game was where it fell appart.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

It is a good game, but not as good as the age old Planetside 1. I've been in PS2 beta since not long after they started the beta stage and I didn't spend a lot of time playing it, and I still don't play it all that much on live (I actually don't play ANY game that much right now) but I have bought a fair amount of weapons and upgrades.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

It is a good game, but not as good as the age old Planetside 1. I've been in PS2 beta since not long after they started the beta stage and I didn't spend a lot of time playing it, and I still don't play it all that much on live (I actually don't play ANY game that much right now) but I have bought a fair amount of weapons and upgrades.

This is the fundimental problem for me as well, PS was a better game.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Very generous review imo.

PS2 isnt that good of an FPS at all, as an MMO i guess the map size and huge battles give it its due, but this is a game for clan gamers, solo players and small groups of 2-4 usually dont last to long as the gaming clans usually camp the hell out of areas boosting their XP.

I would still prefer BF3, BF2 hell even old school HL and CoD are better FPS games than PS2.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by bcbully

Same here !

+1 on that

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

This is the fundimental problem for me as well, PS was a better game.

PS was better than PS2 ?

At launch ?

Or after the first 3 years ?

Or currently, after 9 years or so of additions ?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I liked somethings better in ps1 like bridge battles.

But ps2 beats it for scale of players and we now (some of us) have the internet connections to play it.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I agree with the score..

PS2 is a solid mmo,and a fine predecessor to PS1..

It does what its supposed to do,bring the feeling of full on war.It also brings a helluva lot of fun too.

The game is only going to get better as well.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

PS was better than PS2 ?

At launch ?

Or after the first 3 years ?

Or currently, after 9 years or so of additions ?

Dunno about them, but for me there's a few fundamental aspects that I prefer from PS1.

First, I liked how flying around felt more in PS1. I like that the vehicle control is more physics driven in PS2, but I do not like the change in control of the vehicles. Piloting the ships now feels considerably more akwward to try strafing in, something I enjoyed greatly in PS1 because I would often swoop low to the groung and dodge trees while gunning footsoldiers down in my mosquito. That's something I simply can't do in PS2 because the ships no longer fly that way. I have to roll my ship in order to get it to turn fast enough, at which point I can no longer keep my ain on the enemies and it defeats the purpose of flying that low in the first place.

Second, I liked that the MAX suits had a stronger functional distinction from one another in PS1. Now they posess visual flavor more than anything else. There's no overarmor, anchors, or jumpjets to make them play with differing tacics. the asymmetry of the factions just feels like it was reduced overall to make balance easier at the cost of interest and novelty.

Third, inventory. I know there's a lot of players that likely don't want to do inventory management in the middle of a shooter, but I found that system to lend alot to the personalization of a character especially when combined with...

Fourth, certifications. I personally preferred the way the original PS did certifications overall a bit more. The fact there's equipment functionally locked and separated form one another annoys me about PS2. I would much rather have a system like the original game where I can gain access to all the abilities and gear as a massive pool like PS1 does, and then turn around to buy specializing aspects within them similar to how PS2 does.

These are all aspects that were present since the release of Planetside 1 that I find make me prefer it somewhat more.

If they had retained a greater degree of the original game, improved the shooting mechanics and physics for weaponsvehicles without fundamentally changing how you interact with those things, and applied the differences they made in skills/progression as a deeper function of the certification system a lot of these issues I feel could have been alleviated for me.

EDIT: To note though. I still love Planetside 2 and think it's a pretty well executed game.

I just love what went into Planetside more.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin