Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good do you think this game is?

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I log in about once a week to see if it grabs me at some point. I tried WoW about 10 times before I finally got into it. I am hoping GW2 ends up being the same way.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Just  a typical modern day single player story driven online game. Was good for what it is but it isn't a MMO. I play RPGs and MMRPGs GW2 isn't one in any sense. To me it failed to deliver what they said they developed.

Also, it proved the no trinity isn't evolution but de-evolution in gaming.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Just  a typical modern day single player story driven online game. Was good for what it is but it isn't a MMO. I play RPGs and MMRPGs GW2 isn't one in any sense. To me it failed to deliver what they said they developed.

Also, it proved the no trinity isn't evolution but de-evolution in gaming.

You should try playing it with other people and try the harder content as it is pretty fun. 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

My biggest complaint about GW2 is how dead the world feels when there aren't many around. I played from the 3 day headstart through level 50 (in the first month). Then took a break to get my guild together for raiding in Mists of Pandaria. Now that I am back and wanting to play a new character, the experience is very different, and lackluster.

Many of the events don't trigger often enough anymore, so while you were able to run around and run into numerous different DE's, you can now run through a zone and see very few. The ones you can trigger are nice, since they are sort of waiting there for you. Many of the Champion related DEs are extremely difficult solo, but it really depends on profession and the lay of the land (lots of aggroable mobs when attempting kite).

It seems pretty obvious that ANet didn't really appreciate how dead the lower level zones would become, and didn't give enough incentives for higher level characters to go back to the earlier zones. This is something that can be changed though.

GW2 is a solid game, and I enjoy my time in it (wvw is much better now, imo), but it could be much better. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the first expansion pack. It would be nice to have some more "traditional" questing to go along with the dynamic events. Perhaps some side-story quests to go along with the main story line.

Finally, I would also like to see more weapon skill sets added for current weapons. Granted, ANet is still working out the kinks with their current weapon system (some weapons are much better suited than others for many professions), but it would be cool if you could add a new line of skills for each weapon at levels 40/60/80 or something. I could swap from Greatsword skill set 1 to skill set 2 instead of switching between greatsword and then sword and shield. Just to add diversity.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

It is one of the few MMORPGs not using a random roll to hit system, but a real physics engine.

Just that detail makes it a top choice for me.

And from those not using a random roll to hit system is by far the best for my tastes.

Not having a sub is a plus, although it doesn't make me spend that much less than if I was paying a sub (well if I wasn't currently boycotting gems purchases with real money because of the ascended items, that is).

Let's be honest here. GW2 still uses a roll system. There are a few spells that don't lock on target. I don't know how much physics are involved.

When you speak of a no roll physics, that's planetside 2.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

If you like pve...you should like GW2

If you are expecting the game to be a great server vs server game(faction/realm conflict)....stop thinking about this game...NOW.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by killion81
    It does seem that "no subscription fee" is one of the most talked about "features" of the game, doesn't it?  I've never really been bothered by a subscription personally.  However, I do find it unfortunate that people use the payment model as a reason to play a game.  Games *should* be all about the fun they generate, in my opinion at least.

Som people are really cheap.

Personally I dont mind paying monthly fees and compared to freemium I easily prefer it. $15 a month is not so bad for the hours I usually play MMOs. Then again, it is a bonus that I dont have to reactivate a game if I have been taking a break which I usually do during summer and monthly fees have at times made me feel I at times have to play a little more than when I want to because I pay for it and wantto get value for my money, the bad part about that is that I might tire faster because for me breaks are kinda imprtant for me to play the same game for years and when it isnt fun to login it is the beginning of the end for any MMO.

Still, I enjoy GW2 a lot and that have nothing to do with money. I do think it will need an expansion or 2 like the first game to truly shine but it is the most fun I had in a MMO for many years.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by bcbully

It is one of the few MMORPGs not using a random roll to hit system, but a real physics engine.

And from those not using a random roll to hit system is by far the best for my tastes.

Not having a sub is a plus, although it doesn't make me spend that much less than if I was paying a sub (well if I wasn't currently boycotting gems purchases with real money because of the ascended items, that is).

Let's be honest here. GW2 still uses a roll system. There are a few spells that don't lock on target. I don't know how much physics are involved.

Some spells/skills home and there is auto aim bot for ranged.

That is different from a roll to hit.

But once the projectile is in the air it will hit whatever it is in its path and can be manualy dodged.

Not only that it also interacts with the environment.

So, no, no roll to hit system.

A pure hit role system is for example WoW - you have a target and you once you roll a hit it always hit, no matter if there is 30 people between you and your target.

That is why in GW2 the damage is applied when the animation hits while in WoW the damage is applied when you press the button.

One of the reasons for GW2 requiring a beefy CPU is the physics system, which is also is one of the reasons the world isn't seamless.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

GW2 is the best game in the market for what it is...

Its not niche game... it does not focus on hardcore players.. its a heaven for casual players and its awesome at that.. maybe later it will focus more on hardcore players as well... only time will tell.. :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

But once the projectile is in the air it will hit whatever it is in its path and can be manualy dodged.

A pure hit role system is for example WoW - you have a target and you once you roll a hit it always hit, no matter if there is 30 people between you and your target.

That is why in GW2 the damage is applied when the animation hits while in WoW the damage is applied when you press the button.

One of the reasons for GW2 requiring a beefy CPU is the physics system, which is also is one of the reasons the world isn't seamless.

1) Like I said a few spells do not home. The vast majority do. 

2) how do you think misses and resists happen to stationary targets?

3) WoW spells have travel time as well any raider will tell you this. You can get a DPS bump by standing closer, just like swtor, TSW, RIFT, and a number of other games. 

I know what your trying to say, this was part of the marketing train that just didn't quite turn out the way it was presented.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Great game, but other than the WvW, it's a terrible MMO.
  • zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Good game I guess although I stopped logging in after level 15
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

1) Like I said a few spells do not home. The vast majority do. 

2) I do you think misses and resists happen to stationary targets?

3) WoW spells have travel time as well any raider will tell you this. You can get a DPS bump by standing closer, just like swtor, TSW, RIFT, and a number of other games. 

I know what your trying to say, this was part of the marketing train that just didn't quite turn out the way it was presented.

Again.

I'm here ----ArroW------------->         !bird flying!            Target

WoW - Hits target

GW2 - Hits bird.

Why?

Because there is a physic engine detecting collisions.

Aditionally, just by straffing you can move out of the path of some slow projectiles.

More, you can shoot without a target selected and the projectile will hit whatever is in its path.

In WoW you dodge based on a random roll determined by your stats and the mobs stats.

In GW2 you can dodge an attack by moving out of the way, using the dodge or getting something betweem you and the projectile.

The vast majority of spells doesn't home - you are confusing targetting aid with homing. Homing is the spell curving to hit the target.

Please dodge a spell in WoW by hidding behind an ally and then come back.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Voted "other"

Me too.  I prefer a mix of themepark/sandbox and while GW2 is fun for the first run through, hitting cap and then having nothing to do afterwards just sucks.  Where is the Longevity?  I don't consider PVP and rolling alts through the exact SAME content longevity.

How far have you gotten in Fractals? I'm still having a blast there, but only at Fractals 12... WvW takes a bunch of my time. Fractals, however, really gives me a lot of hope for future dungeon progression.

No where.  I don't run dungeons when the reward is just running them.  I'm not built that way.  Plus, I hate having no trinity for dungeon runs, it really makes me just not enjoy that aspect of the game in any way shape or form.

• DocDexterDocDexter Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Favorite MMO so far. But there are others on the horizon that look promising.
  • PsyentistPsyentist Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Fischer-Price, my first MMO. 
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Game is good for a month or two but then that is pretty much it. However you should be posting this in the general forum rather than in a GW 2 forum because most likely you will get skewed results here.
    Originally posted by sodade21

Its not niche game... it does not focus on hardcore players.. its a heaven for casual players and its awesome at that.. maybe later it will focus more on hardcore players as well... only time will tell.. :)

Every triple A game released since WoW have been catering to casual gamers. Dont see how that makes GW 2 special, rather it makes it the same as the others. Only major difference is that it does not require a sub fee but it has a cash shop instead so I dont see the advantage of this.

<mispost>
  • MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    Just compare it to other MMOs and the answer comes easy.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by sodade21

Every triple A game released since WoW have been catering to casual gamers. Dont see how that makes GW 2 special, rather it makes it the same as the others. Only major difference is that it does not require a sub fee but it has a cash shop instead so I dont see the advantage of this.

CS is OPTIONAL NOT REQUIRED so I don't see why people keep making a huge deal out of it. You don't need to spend any money in the CS to play all is optional. If you think you HAVE TO USE THE CS, you are deluded.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Best MMo played ever, with 100's bugs but overall its a master piece, i let here my recent built for pve necromancer: most addicted class on the game : http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQEQNAW7YjQah7ta2a07JCpHRjaPbSx3GHkC3LNA;TEBgyyuEcJ5S1liLqfM/I+x+j7H5PrCGGcKYDybBA
    Have fun and play more than discuss the game, ARENANET deserves some respect for their hard work and take it easy i guess we will get a even better product as it gets aged. I start to miss the WAR sound ambient from Orr. Its a epic zone with best meta chain quests.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by killion81
    It does seem that "no subscription fee" is one of the most talked about "features" of the game, doesn't it?  I've never really been bothered by a subscription personally.  However, I do find it unfortunate that people use the payment model as a reason to play a game.  Games *should* be all about the fun they generate, in my opinion at least.

Actually you have hit the nail on the head but didn't realize it the ''NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE” you have the greatest complaint about this game. How many butt hurt folks have to come and complain about GW2 just because it doesn't have a subscription fee let's face it nobody enjoys paying for an inferior product no matter what the cost be it $1 or $15 per month . The B2P model just makes folks playing similar games while paying a subscription fee feel stupid and it's forced them into a defensive shell .I mean the amount of folks that attack GW2 not because of GW2's faults but because they feel threatened and exposed by having been suckered and conned by companies into playing the subscription game .Let's face it anyone playing a theme park style game and paying a subscription fee is being suckered at least and in actual fact being ripped off ...it's just human nature to lash out when put on the spot .

The question that crosses my mind is instead of being butt hurt and coming and trying to downplay GW2 and pointing out all it errors why aren't all the haters going to the game forums of the games they are playing and asking "Why the hell are we paying subscription fee and lifetime memberships "

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

I like the game for what it is and am enjoying it. I don't see a noticeable deficit of content compared to subscription games of the same relative age.

But then, I'm a casual gamer now.  I don't play hardcore games any longer because I have a life to live.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    I think it's a great themepark for people who aren't yet tired of themeparks.  However, I think Guild Wars 1, for all its oldschool shortcomings by today's standards, is still a more interesting game with more soul.

I have to agree to an extent. The world in GW2 is simply amazing, but its missing some of the core ingredients of GW1. The PvP, character development and strategy of GW1 are sorely missing in GW2.