Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting

KhondorKhondor Member UncommonPosts: 51
Any chance this game will add crafting and maybe an economy?

Comments

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

I can just imagine myself mining ore or even hunting for boars in the middle of a firefight, lol

No ..no I don't think so.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Khondor

Its a shooter game, not a real mmo or should i say mmorpg for the ones that cant tell the difference.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    It's supposed to be an mmofps. Certain things that work in mmorpgs or would spice things up, may end up not working so much here.
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

It's a pure PVP game, everything is about pvp.
    You gain ressources by PVPing NOT PVE grinding materials.
    Your gear > from PVP.
    Your (temporary) vehicles, grenades everything is obtained by PVP (even if other players captured the ressource territory).

Everything that is temporary consumable to a permanent upgrade is obtained through PVP.
    Anything tried to fit into this game coming from "MMO Crafting" would completly break it.

The last thing the PS2 pvpers want to see are concepts like flower picking, clicking on buttons in your base and then spam healing potions from these.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Actually smedley has talked about adding sandbox continents where outfits gather their own resources and build their own bases.

There's nothing wrong with crafting and economy in a pvp game, hell games like eve and darkfall the economy and craft resources drive the pvp.

They should never add quests and dungeons and shit though. they should also never put in Esports imo.
    If you think about it, there's kinda fighting over resources now. You can only build tanks at facilities you own that produce them, same with aircraft. It's not a big step up to have mines and power plants etc.. that you must hold to gather resources, then have factories that use them.
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    I don't see crafting in this game, nor do I want it, unless they decide to completely overhaul it into an MMORPG.
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Engineers are tiny crafters allready,but much more is needed,and more uses for them

Vehicles should have some kind of damage system,slows them down ,makes targeting harder,something that makes them need engineers more.

And more player built structures is needed,maybe something like,if theres 5 engineers around or maybe 10,they could  build something more effective together than that 1 tiny miniturret.

Or something like that engineers ,if they are skilled enough or if theres more of them around,could upgrade tanks ,turrets or something like that.

Let's internet

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

So its not ok when mmorpg's get homogenised by the influence of other genres but it is ok to do this to the fps genre?

Well if you want to step out of a few hundred person pitched battle to hit some rocks - more power to you. I'll be playing the fps like a fps and enjoying the easy kills offered by the pick swinging genre confused.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Smedley has already talked about continents with alternative ruleset where players gather resources to build bases.

I think this is a smart move. The current setup for people who like ps1, daoc, bf etc.. the other continents for people that like games like darkfall, eve and perpetuum. What's cool is feel like rvr go the rvr continents, feel like sandbox pvp go the proposed sandbox continents.
    Aut:
    Why would you hot rocks. Couldn't you for example....

Invade a mine
    Deploy a harvester
    Kill players and get crafting loot from them.
    Take over an enemy base and dismantle it for components

You don't need to have "wow gathering"
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    The first thing SOE would do after adding nice crafted items to the game would be to add even better ones in the cash shop..  It's just better that they don't add it to the game because they would ruin it for sure.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I would love to have a robust crafting system.But only if you want players to play  the game for longer periods of time.it's a key element I look for in  any game I seriously consider.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Is a 100% PvP game, a Non-stop PvP action mmo. Crafting?, it wont happen. 
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Yap, Crafting will come, sooner or later. Check out Smed's Blog here and you can see whats on the List for PS2 in the next years.

http://john-smedley.livejournal.com/2412.html

Looks not that bad.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Going by various remarks made by Smed, they do have some future plan for tying resources to outfit-owned bases and such. Nobody knows how that will work, or even if it will ever make it into the game. It's on the long term wishlist...

However, I doubt that it will be "crafting as we know it" in standard MMO's.

Besides, players in PS2 don't have any inventory space. The team expressly designed it that way, even with the loud and constant objections from PS1 vets.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I crafted this badass liberator. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    I don't see how these future sandbox continents with base building and stuff stop the game being pvp orientated. The current rvr continents will still be there. It's not like crafting and pvp don't gel, look at eve.

Now if they were adding raids or quests or even arena pvp, THAT would take away from the game and water it down.
  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

*puts on Tinfoil hat*

closet thing of crafting youll get within this Universe would be the following:

Ant Driving with resources:   

If PS2/devs  went this route, the ANT vehicle would make a return, additionally, it would be plausible for them to have the ant continue its role as a resource gathering type vehicles (much like PS1, gathering NTU from warpgates and taking them back to bases).

Now if Auraxium were to make a return as well, with the addition of oufit player bases, the Ant would play a big role of going around certain territories (very dangerous territories)  to gather auraxium or other important resources, drive back to outfit base, and use those resources for maintaining power for say,  Sheilds, spawns, and maybe vehicles too -- some what in the vein of original planetside.

the other would be grabbing enemy vehicles through hacking.

Overall  this really falls under resource gathering more than crafting 

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

I'm pretty sure they mentioned crafting in a positive way.

I know they mentioned activing mining and mining vehicles in one chat.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    People forget TF2 has crafting and it works well. 
  • WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by Khondor

Tabula Rasa had crafting, and it wasn't too bad. As I recall it got streamlined and was better that way.

Perhaps just get drops, from kills, caps, and defending points, of different types which can be combined to create mats, subcomponents, and componets. Then assembly of the components into items.

Generic crafting. yeah maybe, but no node grinding. That would be too much for me.

And I wouldn't want a market or player trades.

EverythingI made is bound.

Maybe....

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

Article that talks about resource gathering,player bases, joining the continents with naval warfare and other stuff.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/01/planetside-2025-soes-big-plans-for-the-future/#more-133807

Personally I'm not keen on the Esports or npc armies stuff, but the rest sounds very cool.
  • DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

They need to go back and redo the resource system.  Diversify the 3 resource types into many more types and require multiple types to build vehicles.  Require conquering the resource sources as well as the labs and/or tech factories that enable the vehicles to be built.  This would also add a lot of incentive to actually hold more areas rather than capture, let fall, and then recapture for cert points.

Not exactly crafting, but it would have a lot more depth than the current system.  As I mainly play infantry I am 99% of the time capped out on all three resources.  I buy grenades by the dozen just to use up some infantry resources.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster