Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lucas Arts knew SWTOR would bomb

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by mikahr
    Originally posted by Nukewrk
    Originally posted by TheCrow2k
    Most people who knew it would bomb were drummed out of the official forms by staff & fanbois who had convinced themselves it would be the second coming.

Well at least they had forums open at launch unlike other second comings.

And its still biggest failure in MMO history.

Guess they used it as decoration.

[mod edit]
    Wow, you really have no aruments left.

lets see warhammer online and age of conan flopped way worse than swtor so not sure how its the largest failure in history. Why because it went free to play? You are seriously hateful because people do not agree with you . The game may not be some grand thing but its not failing Bioware is hiring for multiple positions on the EA site so not sure how a failing company would hire on new people...

It lost over 75% of its population (that is over 1.5 million people) in a very short time frame, Did the other games you mention  lose that many? Do they require the equivalent of 500K subs to break even?

It is the game that failed, no mention there about the company failing.

im not arguing with you man you are like the largest hater on this site for swtor , there is nothing at all anyone on this site can say to make you ever change your mind about the game so there is no point in even getting into this with you seriously.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

lets see warhammer online and age of conan flopped way worse than swtor so not sure how its the largest failure in history. Why because it went free to play? You are seriously hateful because people do not agree with you . The game may not be some grand thing but its not failing Bioware is hiring for multiple positions on the EA site so not sure how a failing company would hire on new people...

Really?

They spent 300-500m$ and lost 2,3m+players in 6 months?

Dont think so.

the game is still going and the population is not bad at all now free to play or not , its not the largest flop in history yet , it might be later down the road but they are pushing out patches once every 6 weeks now and promise to live by it so it has plenty of time and playerbase to turn it around and make it a solid game. People enjoy it , its not the largest flop in history of mmorpgs and how do you know 6 months from now EA might make its money back or more? I know players spending 100s of dollars just on gambling boxes in game so in a business standpoint its not flopping. I understand you obviously truely hate the game and have a bone to pick obviously , but just because they spent 300 mil on it and it lost players doesnt mean its a flop with EA hiring now all over their company site for devs for bioware austin.

History has proven that SWTOR loses players fast, and I do not see many people paying after a few months, unless some awesome changes are done to the game. F2P will not save SWTOR, awesome content will.

the game is still going and the population is not bad at all now free to play or not , its not the largest flop in history yet , it might be later down the road but they are pushing out patches once every 6 weeks now and promise to live by it so it has plenty of time and playerbase to turn it around and make it a solid game. People enjoy it , its not the largest flop in history of mmorpgs and how do you know 6 months from now EA might make its money back or more? I know players spending 100s of dollars just on gambling boxes in game so in a business standpoint its not flopping. I understand you obviously truely hate the game and have a bone to pick obviously , but just because they spent 300 mil on it and it lost players doesnt mean its a flop with EA hiring now all over their company site for devs for bioware austin.

Get your facts straight, they are NOT pushing patches every 6 weeks, its now altered to every 6-8 weeks. lol Last one WASNT 6 weeks.

And, just to note, those are miniscule updates, WZ, or OP or FP or fe dailies.

Ypu mentioned AoC and WHO in contest of biggest flops and SWTOR is bigger flop than those. Im sure there are people that enjoy AoC and WHO still. Its beside the point though.

And we shall see how it works out, but knowing SWTORs history...its not promising.

the last thing i seen on the forums from hickman was still every 6 weeks and thats all im saying to you man is wait and see , they are trying to fix major issues with the game that people are complaining the loudest about . Be optimistic instead of just being negative here and give it a chance.

Most people who knew it would bomb were drummed out of the official forms by staff & fanbois who had convinced themselves it would be the second coming.

[mod edit]

It lost over 75% of its population (that is over 1.5 million people) in a very short time frame, Did the other games you mention  lose that many? Do they require the equivalent of 500K subs to break even?

im not arguing with you man you are like the largest hater on this site for swtor , there is nothing at all anyone on this site can say to make you ever change your mind about the game so there is no point in even getting into this with you seriously.

There is nothing hateful I have posted, just pointing out the truth. I just want Bioware to actually expand / enhance SWTOR, into something worthwhile, as do 1.5 million other people

You are the ones who will do more damage to SWTOR, as it just stays stale, and drive people away, as history has proven

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

the last thing i seen on the forums from hickman was still every 6 weeks and thats all im saying to you man is wait and see , they are trying to fix major issues with the game that people are complaining the loudest about . Be optimistic instead of just being negative here and give it a chance.

Its been a year and they still didnt fixed stuff from beta. How many YEARS do you have to give it a chance lol

By this pace they will fix it around 2015-2016 lol

They went F2P without fixing what made people left in the first place. How smart is THAT?

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

How come that there is so many posts in GW2 forum, how this game sucks and how boring it is:) Almost like SWTOR forums /grin. Mind, that I do not play GW2 so I am not going to make any comments about it, but I saw many posts stating that GW2 is a big failure /grin

Edit: Why you can't understand that what is boring for you might be exciting for other person and vice versa?

Because the simple fact is people now a days deal or can only think in absolutes.

They either love GW2 or hate GW2

They either love ToR or they hate ToR

They either love WoW or hate WoW

It really is childish, either their opinion is all that matters if not everyone else is an idiot.

Ive seen you defend ToR on here, and Ive seen people attacking your opinions not because they believe what they're saying but because you dont agree with what they have to say.

I totally salute your tenacity when trying to talk to these people. Because I equate trying to talk to them to an adult in a 2nd grade classroom trying to have an intelligent conversation with a bunch of five yearolds.

Adult (7star61) "Greenbeans are good for you."

Class "Eewwwww...!"

Kid 1 "Greenbeans are yukie!"

Kid 2 "Yeah, greenbeans dont taste good, they taste yukie!"

Kids 3-10 "Yeah, they are yukie" (the parrot brigade)

Adult "No I said greenbeans are good for you."

Kid 1 *shakes head* "Nunt-uh, you said they were good!"

Kid 2 *shakes head*  "nunt-uh. They are yukie."

Kids 3-10 *turning it into a chant* "NUNT-UH!", "NUNT-UH!", "NUNT-UH!", "NUNT-UH!"

Thats how I see 90% of topics on this website start out as, turn into and, continune on as. People cant talk about a subject with the understanding that there is more than a single view on that topic. Its like actual thinking is beyond them, and all the can understand are absolutes, yes and nos, wrong or rights.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

[mod edit]

There is nothing hateful I have posted, just pointing out the truth. I just want Bioware to actually expand / enhance SWTOR, into something worthwhile, as do 1.5 million other people

You are the ones who will do more damage to SWTOR, as it just stays stale, and drive people away, as history has proven

Actually that would be a noble goal. So far though what I see is that your and others posts drive even more players out of trying the game and that theoretically decrease chances for improvements.

That's my 5c

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Get your facts straight, they are NOT pushing patches every 6 weeks, its now altered to every 6-8 weeks. lol Last one WASNT 6 weeks.

Ypu mentioned AoC and WHO in contest of biggest flops and SWTOR is bigger flop than those. Im sure there are people that enjoy AoC and WHO still. Its beside the point though.

And we shall see how it works out, but knowing SWTORs history...its not promising.

Last stance being:

17. How are we holding to our six week promise for game updates?

Jeff: I think it is going great right now. If you have being watching in the past 4-5 months we talked pretty aggressively about keeping to a 6-8 weeks schedule for updates and I think we hit that pretty darn good. It is diffcult, let me just put it that way. The development process to stay at quality can be very diffcult in that short amount of time.

We might have a 9 week over the holidays just because we actually let our guys spend a little time because last year we were all here. I think we will have a 9 week between the next update before the holidays and the update after that. But we should be back to 6-8 week updates after that. I see no reasons in the future that we won’t stay on that. We will keep trying to 6 but for the sake of quality go to 8 if we need to. 

We will be doing another one of these closer to our next Game update so we will be back!

BTW please allow me and the investors to disagree with your statement. TOR failed very hard on most people expectations. Seems to me the right word would be: deceived ;)

TOR development in short: 

• 6 years: started in Dec, 2005 
    • 200ish millions:  3+ times Rift budget, 5+ ttimes AoC
    • 800 people vs 200ish for other MMO

All that and they were bleeding subs even faster than SWG and had to go F2P even before the first year.
    To my knowledge none game whent that low that fast.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

It’s like swg all over again

People who dislike swtor: state their case

People who like swtor: defend it.

Thing is no other game since swg has lost players so fast, accept swtor

Will history repeat itself lol?

Time will tell.

As for GW2, it will do just fine since it seems to retain it's following from GW1, even if some outsiders still prefer WoW over it.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by furh98
    Originally posted by Deewe

Last stance being:

Jeff: I think it is going great right now. If you have being watching in the past 4-5 months we talked pretty aggressively about keeping to a 6-8 weeks schedule for updates and I think we hit that pretty darn good. It is diffcult, let me just put it that way. The development process to stay at quality can be very diffcult in that short amount of time.

We might have a 9 week over the holidays just because we actually let our guys spend a little time because last year we were all here. I think we will have a 9 week between the next update before the holidays and the update after that. But we should be back to 6-8 week updates after that. I see no reasons in the future that we won’t stay on that. We will keep trying to 6 but for the sake of quality go to 8 if we need to. 

We will be doing another one of these closer to our next Game update so we will be back!

BTW please allow me and the investors to disagree with your statement. TOR failed very hard on most people expectations. Seems to me the right word would be: deceived ;)

All that and they were bleeding subs even faster than SWG and had to go F2P even before the first year.

[mod edit]

Hate? Why for?

These are just facts.

BTW check AoC and WAR...

Last stance being:

To my knowledge yours and others obsession to post hate about TOR is the saddest attempt I have ever seen at bashing a game.   

Hate? Why for?

These are just facts.

BTW check AoC and WAR...

Hate=obsession to post negative comments on a game you no longer play or like

Fact=there are still a lot of people who enjoy SWTOR.  Why do you care so much if people enjoy a video game you hate? 

The fun part is, that most of the haters are so obsessed with SWTOR that they actually still sub so they can post negative posts on SWTOR forums /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

** sarlacc ingested stuff **
    The fun part is, that most of the haters are so obsessed with SWTOR that they actually still sub so they can post negative posts on SWTOR forums /grin

We both know i'm no hater, just want the game to be much better ;)

The game won't improve if people keep praising BioWare when they keep half delivering.

(edit: half being generous)

We both know i'm no hater, just want the game to be much better ;)

The game won't improve if people keep praising BioWare when they keep half delivering.

And it will improve a lot if all you hear is: don't bother even to play it because it sucks and it' will  die soon or it's already dead.

/sarcasm

Constructive criticism is good. Mindless hating and bashing game is not going to make it better, it's going to discourage potential players to even try it. If company does not have money to invest in game, you won't see any improvement.

You can criticize the game and give a feedback and suggestions - that's welcomed. Nobody is going to disagree with that.

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234

I was a pretty big fan boy for SWTOR but eventually the shine wore off and I realized the sad truth..... the game was just terribly designed at its core. Unfortunately I dont think the game can improve enough to climb out of the giant hole that Bioware dug themselves in.

I havent played in about 3 months and watching the pace of the updates and the terrible implementation of F2P just tells me that this games going into maintenance mode, I wouldnt be surprised if it is shut down a year from now. Especially with Disney buying the IP, they may want better representation in the MMO scene.

For those that still enjoy it, congrats I guess.

Ive pretty much lost all hope that a good MMO will ever get released. I just play skyrim now lol. If only somehow that game was an mmo...

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Last stance being:

To my knowledge yours and others obsession to post hate about TOR is the saddest attempt I have ever seen at bashing a game.   

Hate? Why for?

These are just facts.

BTW check AoC and WAR...

Hate=obsession to post negative comments on a game you no longer play or like

Fact=there are still a lot of people who enjoy SWTOR.  Why do you care so much if people enjoy a video game you hate? 

Actually the free to play guys can post on the forums as well.  It let me log in there today without a sub to my surprise so this is no longer true. 

Actually the free to play guys can post on the forums as well.  It let me log in there today without a sub to my surprise so this is no longer true. 

No they can't. You have to have sub to be able to post on forum. It has to be glitch. 

You can log in to forum, but you cannot post.

Edit: there were few people who claimed they were F2P and could posted, but it was isolated incident and I think after they posted they access was cut off /grin

for me im no lover of swtor , i never had these high expectations that a lot of players here carry. So therefore i see the game as fine and a good game to enjoy a story and some okay pve. Its nowhere near as bad as people on this site make it out to be and i can agree with seven , if you want to really see it grow and become good or make it something entirely different the last thing people here are doing is promoting anything to do with fixing it. All senseless bashing without anything constructive at all said about it.

Ive been on this forum for years , on other older screen names and can tell you this has been going on here since wow was just out of beta . People destroy content as fast as possible then turn around and bash the games they played saying they should of added this or that. SWTOR is no different other than they spent more money on the budget and made bad design decisions on where the money went to . If people here really care about the game like they need to express whats wrong with it on the bioware forums and see what direction they take. Obviously people who created this had ego's and blame issues , but they are long gone and there seems to be content on the way and they seem to be receptive now to player suggestions. Space off rails is coming , they hinted at more factional pve and wars , and they already said illum is being redesiged months ago. So it sounds honestly like they are listening more now and people are coming back to play.

Also i agree content isnt that great for the quick releases but either was rifts fast patches , they tweek a few things add a raid or a chronicle and call it a day so how is it any different than other games. Hell to be honest if you want to talk about shakeup on content and making things decent for patches go look at the new lord of the rings patch on the public test server. While its raid content lite , its got tons of quality of life improvements to the game taken from other games .

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Btw you should mention that title of the article is

"Why Guild Wars 2 Triumphed Where Others Failed"

I'll be honest, I stopped reading based on the title myself.

Both SWTOR and GW2 failed to triumph.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Btw you should mention that title of the article is

"Why Guild Wars 2 Triumphed Where Others Failed"

Edit. If the author was wrong about credits, his creditability went down the sink imo.

the Op quoted the guy who wrote the article.  and the guy who wrote it didn't even work for EA in 2010.  op just trying to stir the pot.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

No they can't. You have to have sub to be able to post on forum. It has to be glitch. 

You can log in to forum, but you cannot post.

Edit: there were few people who claimed they were F2P and could posted, but it was isolated incident and I think after they posted they access was cut off /grin

Yep they fixed the glitch.  I can log into the forums, the new post button is there, but now when I click it it says yada yada yada you must have an account to post.  So it was glitchy for previous subscribers.  I also noticed that my thread from today is no longer there lol.  I guess free to play players are second class citizens as well. 

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

And it will improve a lot if all you hear is: don't bother even to play it because it sucks and it' will  die soon or it's already dead.

Because they need hard lesson and weve all witnesses that unless you hit em where it hurts (pocket) nothing will change.

SInce they decided to spend lot of resources on F2P instead fixing the game they need more hard lessons.

And if they dont learn it will die (which how they handle things is pretty possible, within next year).

Just look at this:

Short while ago: "We will release some update every 6 weeks"

Now: "We aim to release some update every 6-8 weeks with next being 9 weeks proabably"

And 6 weeks for MINISCULE updates is still SNAIL pace.

Yah, its that simple.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by Tiller

Time will tell.

As for GW2, it will do just fine since it seems to retain it's following from GW1, even if some outsiders still prefer WoW over it.

except SWG was a much more fun game and its potential was gigantic compared to SWTOR.

Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    Originally posted by Tiller

Time will tell.

except SWG was a much more fun game and its potential was gigantic compared to SWTOR.

Yep, and SOE focussed on updating/improving the game instead of server merges. Even with the NGE it took over 3 years from that to start merging servers.

Server merges may solve things short term, but not long term.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Has there ever been a single soul who has watched star wars and seen the name star wars ever disassociated it from Lucasarts ?

I am also very curious when people say most people or everyone or a majority exactly what statistic they are using.  By all accounts WoW would be much hated and despised and should have a population of a few hundred based on this site anyway , yet it thrives. Of course that is because Blizzard lies and cheats but their stockholders seem happy.

What one player enjoys is personal to them. As is evidenced games many others would not touch are enjoyed by others. Same with SWTOR there are people who love it even if many here are unable to grasp that and continue to shake their heads in disbelief that anyone can like SWTOR . There are players out there continuing to enjoy the game.

Games can also continue to make money even if they do not have a large number of people playing if they are making a profit and only EA knows what that is even if we would like to speculate we are not in a position to know what that figure is and if indeed the game has been considered by EA as a complete loss. However SWG was shut down that is a fact. So even if it had more potential or what have you that game had a very small population playing it and in the end it was shut down.

City of X was shut down eventhough it was still making money. So what keeps games up or whether EA has every intention of shutting down SWTOR is all up in the clouds. I do not see any credible post here about SWTOR or the success of its F2P or failure all we have are disgruntled exfans who have a bone to pick with the game and cannot get over the reality that others may have a different interest from their own . Well hardly surprising when you see the number of insults flung at WoW players questioning their intellect and earning capacity to lodgings.

Someone mentioned Age of Conan's budget ,can you link a source for it as well as a link to the budget for making SWTOR. No rumours please let's deal in facts.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by kitarad City of X was shut down eventhough it was still making money. So what keeps games up or whether EA has every intention of shutting down SWTOR is all up in the clouds. I do not see any credible post here about SWTOR or the success of its F2P or failure all we have are disgruntled exfans who have a bone to pick with the game and cannot get over the reality that others may have a different interest from their own . Well hardly surprising when you see the number of insults flung at WoW players questioning their intellect and earning capacity to lodgings.   Someone mentioned Age of Conan's budget ,can you link a source for it as well as a link to the budget for making SWTOR. No rumours please let's deal in facts.
    I don't know what AoC's budget was, but one can make a safe assumption that TOR won't be shut down any time soon because EA has a ton of money invested into it that they need to get back, not to mention actually make a profit. What this sadly means is that they'll put the game on skeleton crew in order to invest as little as possible into it since it didn't turn out to be a multimillion subscribers deal, as evident by the fact that in almost a year since its launch TOR has had miniscule content updates spread out over that time period.

I can only assume it's the Star Wars brand itself that's keeping the game from going down the Warhammer Online route which it has zealously mimicking so far otherwise. It's both ridiculous and sad.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.