Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online: Now Free to Play

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Mortal Online team has announced that the game will now feature a free to play option. Subscribers can continue their monthly plan with access to the full game and other subscriber benefits. 

Premium Account Benefits (monthly subscriptions):

• Maximum for all skills is 100

• Premium accounts may use thievery skills

• Premium accounts may loot expensive objects

• Premium accounts may trade expensive objects

Read the rest of the announcement on the Mortal Online site.

Thanks, Rohn, for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Although I subscribe to the game, it should be interesting to see what effect the new payment model will have on the game.

It's still not perfect, but it has come a long way from launch.  Personally, I enjoy it as something much different from the rest of the themepark-dominated genre.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• DukeDuDukeDu Member Posts: 73
    I might download it only to run around naked.
  • L0stL0st Member Posts: 77
    Never played it and still don't care to even if it's "free".  I was told it was like classic Ultima Online in many ways which was very tempting to me but still can't bring myself to try it out, too worried I'll be let down.
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    I remember logging in during beta, going "tee hee...penis" and then chop few trees, kill few squirrels, loot few noobs...realize ive now experience 100% of what the game has to offer and then uninstalling and only logging back in when they were going to "activate all preorders for us" because implementing cancel button was technically too difficult.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Curious... in the past the company stated that F2P was not a possibility because of the nature of the game.  I was under the impression that they felt free accounts in a FFAPvP FullLoot game would lead to trouble.

No chance that I will actually download this game given it's history and the shady background of the company (beware anyone who enters credit card info), but I will certainly watch from the sidelines with interest.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by SoraStar
    Never played it and still don't care to even if it's "free".  I was told it was like classic Ultima Online in many ways which was very tempting to me but still can't bring myself to try it out, too worried I'll be let down.

UO during its beta had eight times the content MO had at launch.

Originally posted by kishe
    I remember logging in during beta, going "tee hee...penis" and then chop few trees, kill few squirrels, loot few noobs...realize ive now experience 100% of what the game has to offer and then uninstalling and only logging back in when they were going to "activate all preorders for us" because implementing cancel button was technically too difficult.

It's a lot further along than it was in beta.  :)

Granted, it still can use more content and systems (just like every game out there, I suppose), and more polish, but it's not as starved as it was in beta, or at launch.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Oh, this is going to be hilarious.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I have never heard anything but bad things about Mortal

is it even worth trying? everything in the mini video seems cool

Originally posted by Myrdynn

That's a problem with forums - too filled with hyperbole and perception management from both sides.

I personally enjoy the game, but that's just my opinion.  It has the type of gameplay I like.

Just my opinion again, but the best way to find out is by actually trying a game.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

That's a problem with forums - too filled with hyperbole and perception management from both sides.

I personally enjoy the game, but that's just my opinion.  It has the type of gameplay I like.

Just my opinion again, but the best way to find out is by actually trying a game.

can I hit you up in game, for some pointers if need be? gonna download it now, what the hell

where do I download it?

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Nice of them to use their newly begged donation money on F2P transition. Must make those loyal subs feel goooood!

They should've done this like 2 years ago, while things still seemed to be in an upswing., Now the cat is out of the bag and laying dead on the table.

They crossover to P2W by enforcing low skill caps on people, which means they'll either be alts farming stuff or failing to PvP against subs. It's true SV logic.

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I tried the trial but didn't play enough to get the most out of it.. The F2P trial I am sure will be worth a shot.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Curious... in the past the company stated that F2P was not a possibility because of the nature of the game.  I was under the impression that they felt free accounts in a FFAPvP FullLoot game would lead to trouble.

No chance that I will actually download this game given it's history and the shady background of the company (beware anyone who enters credit card info), but I will certainly watch from the sidelines with interest.

Well they said that because a cash shop wasn't really an option. . this is really more of an extended trial. . not the skill limits etc.  I think it is a great step. . population was certainly an issue. . this provides more lambs for the slaughter.  Also I play very casually and just wasn't willing to pay a sub.  I might play now and then when I get to a point where it matters I could sub if I want to.

I am guessing this has something to do with DF2 as well.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Rawiz

Nice of them to use their newly begged donation money on F2P transition. Must make those loyal subs feel goooood!

They should've done this like 2 years ago, while things still seemed to be in an upswing., Now the cat is out of the bag and laying dead on the table.

They crossover to P2W by enforcing low skill caps on people, which means they'll either be alts farming stuff or failing to PvP against subs. It's true SV logic.

THere would be no expense to this transition other than some coding hours.  They just basically extended the current trial.  I do expect a lot of "newbs" under protection farming things for sure.

It is not really pay to win. . it is sub for normal game and play for free to suck.  You can't pay more to be better than another subscriber. . you can't add skill points after the max etc.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    It is not really pay to win. . it is sub for normal game and play for free to suck.  You can't pay more to be better than another subscriber. . you can't add skill points after the max etc.

Way to get it wrong, Imay have  got it wrong but  it is good to be able in your free time to get to know a game and decide if you want to sub or not.  Why should you be able to pay more to be better than a sub?  and add SP after a max?  That is just plain silly......

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273

While I did enjoy what little time I spent in MO, there is no denying it was a mess and unstable, and it wasnt that long ago since I experienced that. 

I dont see this going well at all, but if they can find a way to save MO through it then good luck to them.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

This surprised me almost as much as when I strolled on to the forums only to find out that Turbine was converting LOTRO to "F2P". Considering the state of the game though, I doubt this will have a huge impact on it's health. But you never know, these are strange times for the genre. 

For my own selfish reasons I hope it doesn't work out as I would have no mmo whatsoever to call home if AV raised an eyebrow and followed in it's path down the line with DF:UW.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• LexiteLexite Member UncommonPosts: 165

Mo is pretty good, when i first tried it with my brother, we were laughing at how everything seems akward( nude character and stuff). Then, couple of hours in the game we realized that it could be a really great game. We then told all of our friend to download the trial and played with each other.

We had a lot of fun for a month, since we all made different specced characters we could all supply each other with food, armors weapons, money(carcass).

There was only 1 let down, no respeccing. I KNOW a lot of player will think it is a great idea, but the thing is, if you dont attribute every point in the PERFECT skills, you will be extremely disadvantage. I have myself made 3 different warriors character, wearing 2handed swords. Each of them had all of the same skills.. exept some minor difference that would make a big big difference in pvp.

For example, Since im not in a big guild and im just playing with friend, i needed to make a warrior that would be good in 1v1. Because of 1 skills i havent maxed, and 1 attribute i didnt put right in the creation of my character, my character was considered a good mounted archer. I made 3 characters, and even now, i remember someone from a big guild telling me my third one wasnt right So i left.

The difference is really noticable.. i remember doing some 1v1.. always close.. but i was always losing because of that only missing skills ( i tihnk it was athletic or whatever). 

So if you want to play, you really really need to get good informations otherwise you will be losing your time leveling a gimped character.

As for the trial, the skills are capped at 60, you cannot be competitive in any way with skills capped at 60, so its not really a F2P... its more of an unlimited trial.

Sorry for my english

I7 920 @ 2.7ghz (8 cpu total)
    12 gig DDR3 ram
    Nvidia Geforce 560 GTX TI
    window 7 64bit

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    i think it's great. however if you want to be even half pvp viable you pretty much have to sub as you cannot pvp with skills at 60.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         I thought MO went f2p awhile ago??
  • VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339
    I loved the music in the trailer, but hated everything else I saw in it.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• CheboyganCheboygan Member UncommonPosts: 36

so very typical

no obvious client download from account page - although the "donate" button is pretty obvious

edit - did find it under community "tab" - although if this works as well as a couple attempts i've made to download and play the trial i still will not get "in-game"

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    i think it's great. however if you want to be even half pvp viable you pretty much have to sub as you cannot pvp with skills at 60.

forgive my ignorance but how does only being able to lvl "Brownwood Lore" or "Alchemy" to lvl 60 affect pvp?  i chopped wood and mined for a bit today and my main attributes have been going past 60.  my strength is currently at 82.  for example.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

This... Will not end well in any way shape or form... But it will be such a riot to watch.

This have been a good conversation