Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lucas Arts knew SWTOR would bomb

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Tiller
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Btw you should mention that title of the article is

"Why Guild Wars 2 Triumphed Where Others Failed"

Edit. If the author was wrong about credits, his creditability went down the sink imo.

Ah but Madame, that is as illogical as to assume your statements are not credible, because you have a SWTOR signature. Why should someone make it so blatant and simple? No. If someone was to lie, I'd assume he would be elaborate as to say something so easy to check.

It is exactly this sort of what seems to be a small error which makes me believe the poster IS from EA and DOES report the truth. And it would be no means a surprise given how SWTOR fared, nes pa? And by all means we know nothing that EA meddled a lot in SWTOR, not Lucas. No, by all we know Bioware had the MAXIMUM of freedom, so there is only one culprit to blame and that is NOT EA but Bioware and Bioware alone. The entire SWTOR has all the good and bad sides all their previous RPGs since KOTOR had. Great character stories but horrible dull world design, and all the rest of the good, the bad and the ugly other Bioware single player RPGs had. SWTOR is the clear child of Bioware and not some evil influence of EA.

You are right, BW was good at telling stories, failed at creating engaging worlds I mean I spent $150 and played through 2 beta builds and through it all me and a few others pleaded and hoped they would fix stuff or the game would fail, or just go f2p. The world they built was just plain boring; nothing was going on in it. Even the heroic (world bosses) mobs just stood there waiting for someone to come along and kill them or die trying…no story behind that, other than it was just there.

I wanted SWTOR to be the biggest and best game ever so bad. I told my family and friends this is the game to watch....watch what? fail?  BioWare didn't listen to anyone and they really thought they were mighty and powerful, even more so with EA behind them.

The game was boring, me and a lot of other folks I knew all felt the same way. The NPC were static (I felt like I was walking through a diorama at times) The stories were ok, but some were really annoying...and I felt like I had to compete with my fellow players for resources (mats) and quest clickables...Made this experience even more terrible since it took 3 times the time to finish a quest....I found myself most times running to a quest item and if I saw someone else I would use force run and I felt like it was a marathon to get it first, the person who didn’t had to wait 5min, or at times infinitely as they went buggy.

This is where GW2 comes in. A game that does not punish you for NOT getting to something first. A game where you find yourself NOT hating your fellow player because they out damage you while killing a mob pushing you out of the loot roll.. A game where I can go back and play lower level content and still have a challenge instead of being able to just run through unskaved. A game where something is going on that engages the player in the open world. The stories may not all be as deep, but some are equal or better than anything TOR had to offer.. It's just a more rewarding experience for me all around, something SWTOR should have been but never was sadly.

How come that there is so many posts in GW2 forum, how this game sucks and how boring it is:) Almost like SWTOR forums /grin. Mind, that I do not play GW2 so I am not going to make any comments about it, but I saw many posts stating that GW2 is a big failure /grin

Edit: Why you can't understand that what is boring for you might be exciting for other person and vice versa?

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

Originally posted by Boldyn

I seriously doubt that was the writers agenda when he made that statement however, which is the agenda I was refering to.

He just wrote what was happening.

I dont really reckon how you find it so offensive, its not like everyone cant see for themselvs that its a WoW clone with tendency to zero for innovation and that it had to go F2P in under a year.

I never said I found it offensive. I do find it amusing though

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

You are right, BW was good at telling stories, failed at creating engaging worlds. I mean I spent $150 on CE and played through 2 beta builds and through it all me and a few others pleaded and hoped they would fix stuff or the game would fail, or just go f2p. The world they built was just plain boring; nothing was going on in it. Even the heroic (world bosses) mobs just stood there waiting for someone to come along and kill them or die trying…no story behind that, other than it was just there.

I wanted SWTOR to be the biggest and best game ever so bad. I told my family and friends this is the game to watch....watch what? fail?  BioWare didn't listen to anyone and they really thought they were mighty and powerful, even more so with EA behind them.

The game was boring, me and a lot of other folks I knew all felt the same way. The NPC were static (I felt like I was walking through a diorama at times) The stories were ok, but some were really annoying...and I felt like I had to compete with my fellow players for resources (mats) and quest clickables...Made this experience even more terrible since it took 3 times the time to finish a quest....I found myself most times running to a quest item and if I saw someone else I would use force run and I felt like it was a marathon to get it first, the person who didn’t had to wait 5min, or at times infinitely as they went buggy.

This is where GW2 comes in. A game that does not punish you for NOT getting to something first. A game where you find yourself NOT hating your fellow player because they out damage you while killing a mob pushing you out of the loot roll.. A game where I can go back and play lower level content and still have a challenge instead of being able to just run through unskaved. A game where something is going on that engages the player in the open world. The stories may not all be as deep, but some are equal or better than anything TOR had to offer.. It's just a more rewarding experience for me all around, something SWTOR should have been but never was sadly.

The best way to kill immersion and RPG are queues for clickies/quest monsters.

And SWTOR is full of them. Just do some dailies lol its frikin nightmare

Originally posted by Nukewrk

[mod edit]

LOTRO didnt go F2P in under a year because lack of subs. It didnt have to go F2P at all.

LOTRO didnt lose 85% of subs in 6 months.

SWTOR is so slow in releasing content that its awful.

6-8 weeks for miniscule update. lol

Originally posted by Boldyn

I never said I found it offensive. I do find it amusing though

Well, many people find SWTOR...amusing...its like a fish on land lol

Maybe it manages to squiggle itself back to water...but...its far far away and not very soon...to use their own words lol

• NukewrkNukewrk Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by mikahr

You are right, BW was good at telling stories, failed at creating engaging worlds. I mean I spent $150 on CE and played through 2 beta builds and through it all me and a few others pleaded and hoped they would fix stuff or the game would fail, or just go f2p. The world they built was just plain boring; nothing was going on in it. Even the heroic (world bosses) mobs just stood there waiting for someone to come along and kill them or die trying…no story behind that, other than it was just there.

The best way to kill immersion and RPG are queues for clickies/quest monsters.

And SWTOR is full of them. Just do some dailies lol its frikin nightmare

Well to use this point every mmo out there beside LOTRO (rohan area) and gw2(fails in other areas) are failures.. They all have tagging. 

Well to use this point every mmo out there beside LOTRO (rohan area) and gw2(fails in other areas) are failures.. They all have tagging. 

LOTRO doesnt have rush for clickies for years now, thank you.

And open tagging is best think in LOTRO...well...since launch.

Sooooooo...why SWTOR, game that is out in 2012 doesnt have things that other have for years now (public quests/rifts/open tagging/personalized clickies...to name a few)

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Edit. If the author was wrong about credits, his creditability went down the sink imo.

Ah but Madame, that is as illogical as to assume your statements are not credible, because you have a SWTOR signature. Why should someone make it so blatant and simple? No. If someone was to lie, I'd assume he would be elaborate as to say something so easy to check.

It is exactly this sort of what seems to be a small error which makes me believe the poster IS from EA and DOES report the truth. And it would be no means a surprise given how SWTOR fared, nes pa? And by all means we know nothing that EA meddled a lot in SWTOR, not Lucas. No, by all we know Bioware had the MAXIMUM of freedom, so there is only one culprit to blame and that is NOT EA but Bioware and Bioware alone. The entire SWTOR has all the good and bad sides all their previous RPGs since KOTOR had. Great character stories but horrible dull world design, and all the rest of the good, the bad and the ugly other Bioware single player RPGs had. SWTOR is the clear child of Bioware and not some evil influence of EA.

You are right, BW was good at telling stories, failed at creating engaging worlds I mean I spent $150 and played through 2 beta builds and through it all me and a few others pleaded and hoped they would fix stuff or the game would fail, or just go f2p. The world they built was just plain boring; nothing was going on in it. Even the heroic (world bosses) mobs just stood there waiting for someone to come along and kill them or die trying…no story behind that, other than it was just there.

How come that there is so many posts in GW2 forum, how this game sucks and how boring it is:) Almost like SWTOR forums /grin. Mind, that I do not play GW2 so I am not going to make any comments about it, but I saw many posts stating that GW2 is a big failure /grin

Because people here like to complain and that's all they do, the vocal minority, mostly people looking for sandbox and sick of themeparks, i was there, but tbh this game for me is the best value, and I get a lot out of it. I always find something to do because I set goals, like all exotic gear, leveling crafting to profs to 400, or 100% world completion (which I did)

My Server is in the top 10 WvWvW servers and we have no population issues, in fact most nights you still get pushed to overflow (btw that is way better than waiting outside a game for hours like I remember doing at the launch of SWTOR, why didn’t BW think of that?) in LA and queued for WvWvW. I went back and tried to play SWTOR recently, and I just can't, it just feels gross and overburdened to play. Honestly it’s just a better quality game, period, which is what I expected out of BW, and we did not get.

I don’t know if you know this or not, or care but I was one of the original supporters of SWTOR from waaay back in 06 when it was just a rumor that BW was making an MMO. Me and like 3 other folks knew it was gonna be based on The Old Republic when no one else did. I made the very first thread on the old BW forums called “What you would like to see in a  Star Wars MMO. This was back when they only allowed 10 page threads and like 2 guys moderated their forums (Stan Wo and Chris Preistly). We wanted this game to be the best thing ever, but BioWare failed to deliver.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by BlueLantern

and EA had little faith in it as well.

"When I was in EA we were deeply concerned about how boring SWTOR’s gameplay was. And that was back in 2010. They finally realized the truth and decided to delay the game for another year to try to fix it. The final build was more fun by several orders of magnitude than the previous, but it was still not enough. It felt like another WoW. They failed to innovate in any sensible way. They bet everything on the franchise, the VO and Bioware’s signature narrative (which if you have played Mass Effect 3, you’ll know it’s not what it used to be anymore). Lucasarts realized the game was going to fail and forced a new deal in 2011 that would remove them from the production credits. George Lucas may be a bad moviemaker, but who can doubt he is a terrific businessman."

since some people still to this day claim EAlouse was discredited somehow, here's a revealing quote from a guy who worked there up until a few months ago.

Read the whole thread here and I have to admit this is an interesting quote. As always in those there's a part of truth the difficulty being which is it ;)

Anyway, whatever the game sucks now and it's delivering content and improvements so slowly that you'd got to be really bored by anything else to enjoy it atm.

Edit: Why you can't understand that what is boring for you might be exciting for other person and vice versa?

That's fine. I get that, Just realize in this case you are in the minority.

SWG Bloodfin vet

Sooooooo...why SWTOR, game that is out in 2012 doesnt have things that other have for years now (public quests/rifts/open tagging/personalized clickies...to name a few)

Open tagging in LOTRO has only been out for a couple months since ROHAN has launched.  So open tagging has not been out for years.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    this crowd of old schoolers here are so jaded , every day another thread like this just pops up with more hate for SWTOR. While the team can be complete idiots at times and customer service is terrible , the fact remains there is a lot of people who still enjoy the game and still like the common features of wow Rift and SWTOR like raiding and questing. We get it , you guys hate the game but the fact you have to keep nagging at it daily just shows how mature some of you here posting really are. Its not your cup of tea so just move on , to some of us its better than Rift WOW WAR GW2 etc . Also free to play isnt failing currently and they are still making content and have promised it already with a lot more to come so its far from dead. In fact go check the EA website for jobs , they seem to be hiring an aweful lot at Bioware to be dying....... please take off the tin foil hats.
  • DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Open tagging in LOTRO has only been out for a couple months since ROHAN has launched.  So open tagging has not been out for years.

Top of my hat, few things you wish TOR had from LotRO:

• Toggle hands, boots, cloak/back, shoulder slots
    • Gear dyes
    • Appearance tabs & a good Gear UI
    • Wardrobes
    • Recall to house (ie space ship)
    • Housing 
    • UI skins, addons
    • Target of target transfer
    • Interesting crafting
    • Sitting on chair
    • Chat bubbles
    • A world that feels alive
    • Good NPC AI
    • Socialisation tools
    • Day/night cycle
    • Swimming?
    • Pet classes (You can't use companions in full groups in TOR)
    • Non pet classes (You can't solo conveniently in TOR without companions)
    • Good FPS a myriad of graphics settings and a draw distance slider
    • Good network synchronisation
    • Nice environmental music
    • Fluff & minigames
    • More than one type of weapon per class
    • "Realistic" environments

Originally posted by Deewe

• Gear dyes
    • Wardrobes
    • Housing 
    • UI skins, addons
    • Interesting crafting
    • Sitting on chair
    • Chat bubbles
    • Good NPC AI
    • Socialisation tools
    • Day/night cycle
    • Swimming?
    • Fluff & minigames

All stuff we gave them feedback on in beta, they didn't listen.

SWG Bloodfin vet

Who said it had it for years?

L2Read bro

And whay coulnt THEY actually think of something instead blatantly copying WoW?

THATs where SWTOR fails hard, where its innovation TENDS to 0.

Originally posted by Deewe

• Gear dyes
    • Wardrobes
    • Housing 
    • UI skins, addons
    • Interesting crafting
    • Sitting on chair
    • Chat bubbles
    • Good NPC AI
    • Socialisation tools
    • Day/night cycle
    • Swimming?
    • Fluff & minigames

I agree 100% I think LOTRO is one of the top MMOS. I also think SWTOR is far from the worst.
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Most people who knew it would bomb were drummed out of the official forms by staff & fanbois who had convinced themselves it would be the second coming.
    Originally posted by TheCrow2k
    Most people who knew it would bomb were drummed out of the official forms by staff & fanbois who had convinced themselves it would be the second coming.

Well at least they had forums open at launch unlike other second comings.

And its still biggest failure in MMO history.

Guess they used it as decoration.

[mod edit]
    Wow, you really have no arguments left.

[mod edit]
    Wow, you really have no aruments left.

lets see warhammer online and age of conan flopped way worse than swtor so not sure how its the largest failure in history. Why because it went free to play? You are seriously hateful because people do not agree with you . The game may not be some grand thing but its not failing Bioware is hiring for multiple positions on the EA site so not sure how a failing company would hire on new people...

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I honestly believe she works for ea, after all just look at her post history and how well put together her posts are done. I would almost believe she works in the pr department.  Any time  I see her post; I take witha grian of salt. 

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    I really wanted to like it but after getting my Jedi Knight to 50 and finishing the story I could not bring myself to finish leveling my other toons. I think if I had more leveling options instead of same zone and quest lines and please open up tatoonie enough with the invisible walls.
  • AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by BlueLantern

and EA had little faith in it as well.

"When I was in EA we were deeply concerned about how boring SWTOR’s gameplay was. And that was back in 2010. They finally realized the truth and decided to delay the game for another year to try to fix it. The final build was more fun by several orders of magnitude than the previous, but it was still not enough. It felt like another WoW. They failed to innovate in any sensible way. They bet everything on the franchise, the VO and Bioware’s signature narrative (which if you have played Mass Effect 3, you’ll know it’s not what it used to be anymore). Lucasarts realized the game was going to fail and forced a new deal in 2011 that would remove them from the production credits. George Lucas may be a bad moviemaker, but who can doubt he is a terrific businessman."

since some people still to this day claim EAlouse was discredited somehow, here's a revealing quote from a guy who worked there up until a few months ago.

Interesting, and if I had a bit more time I'd search around to verify that the 'deal' was altered.  I'm hearing Vader in my head, "pray I don't alter the deal any further." lol  The reality is LucasArts is still getting paid even if the game sucks balls, what do they care?  And now that Disney is the owner of the company they can care even less.  This business deal was pure gold for LucasArts from the get go.

Originally posted by cronius77

lets see warhammer online and age of conan flopped way worse than swtor so not sure how its the largest failure in history. Why because it went free to play? You are seriously hateful because people do not agree with you . The game may not be some grand thing but its not failing Bioware is hiring for multiple positions on the EA site so not sure how a failing company would hire on new people...

Really?

They spent 300-500m$ and lost 2,3m+players in 6 months?

Dont think so.

Originally posted by Airwren

Interesting, and if I had a bit more time I'd search around to verify that the 'deal' was altered.  I'm hearing Vader in my head, "pray I don't alter the deal any further." lol  The reality is LucasArts is still getting paid even if the game sucks balls, what do they care?  And now that Disney is the owner of the company they can care even less.  This business deal was pure gold for LucasArts from the get go.

How do you know LA gets paid?

Maybe they get only cut of the profit, and is game is losing money...

Many, many unknowns.

LA afaik was also investing their own money with BW.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

[mod edit]

Not even close.  You could combine the production costs for both those games and they still would've been cheaper to make than SW:TOR was.  You could also combine the number of subs they lost and it would still be lower than those SW:TOR lost.  And no, the F2P issue is not the reason (or the only reason) the game is a flop.

Really?

They spent 300-500m$ and lost 2,3m+players in 6 months?

Dont think so.

the game is still going and the population is not bad at all now free to play or not , its not the largest flop in history yet , it might be later down the road but they are pushing out patches once every 6 weeks now and promise to live by it so it has plenty of time and playerbase to turn it around and make it a solid game. People enjoy it , its not the largest flop in history of mmorpgs and how do you know 6 months from now EA might make its money back or more? I know players spending 100s of dollars just on gambling boxes in game so in a business standpoint its not flopping. I understand you obviously truely hate the game and have a bone to pick obviously , but just because they spent 300 mil on it and it lost players doesnt mean its a flop with EA hiring now all over their company site for devs for bioware austin.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

[mod edit]

It lost over 75% of its population (that is over 1.5 million people) in a very short time frame, Did the other games you mention  lose that many? Do they require the equivalent of 500K subs to break even?

It is the game that failed, no mention there about the company failing.

the game is still going and the population is not bad at all now free to play or not , its not the largest flop in history yet , it might be later down the road but they are pushing out patches once every 6 weeks now and promise to live by it so it has plenty of time and playerbase to turn it around and make it a solid game. People enjoy it , its not the largest flop in history of mmorpgs and how do you know 6 months from now EA might make its money back or more? I know players spending 100s of dollars just on gambling boxes in game so in a business standpoint its not flopping. I understand you obviously truely hate the game and have a bone to pick obviously , but just because they spent 300 mil on it and it lost players doesnt mean its a flop with EA hiring now all over their company site for devs for bioware austin.

Get your facts straight, they are NOT pushing patches every 6 weeks, its now altered to every 6-8 weeks. lol Last one WASNT 6 weeks.

And, just to note, those are miniscule updates, WZ, or OP or FP or few dailies. So aproper update every 6-8 MONTHS.

Thats VERY different than "1 UPDATE/MONTH" from launch.

Ypu mentioned AoC and WHO in contest of biggest flops and SWTOR is bigger flop than those. Im sure there are people that enjoy AoC and WHO still. Its beside the point though.

And we shall see how it works out, but knowing SWTORs history...its not promising.