Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is just a big fail *for me*

Comments

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

agree with OP.

*for me* too

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

I agree with a lot of what you said.  But I wouldn't call it a big "fail".  I enjoyed leveling my first character at least.

I think the combat is REALLY boring.  Spamming the same few weapon locked skills over and over again really isn't a strong design.  I guess they chose that route to make balancing PVP easier?  I don't mind being limited in skills in a game like D3, but then again they let you choose the skills you use, regardless of weapon type.

It's a nice world, but I also prefer the trinity.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    Originally posted by Elikal

I can just sum up some impressions.... get on my nerves and making me feel weak...There isn't much in terms of social gameplay experience either.... But as the sole system I found them too weak. And the events don't create any social experience either.... The last 20 level zones are tough, some impossible to solo, and I felt like I was way too easy overpowered by mobs. So endgame felt more like a chore to me. I wasn't even able to finish my stories, because in the last level the story instances are too tough for me, and nobody ever joined me to help. :/

That is my summary. A lot of weakness and inability to bo social - sound right? Heard several game is too hard complaints a while back..

Getting a a giant whale into space by yourself would be easier than trying to form a team in this game. People are not social in this game at all. Those of us who were silly enough to think "well this is an mmo, maybe i'll try teamiung up with people and maybe make a friend or two" have tried hundreds of times to simply team up with people, but failed to. the only thing worse than this game is its community. You can even see it in the forums how nasty GW2 fans can be, blindly defending this game's flaws. You shouldn't have to bend over backwards to be social in an MMO

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by jinxxed0
    Originally posted by Eluldor

I can just sum up some impressions.... get on my nerves and making me feel weak...There isn't much in terms of social gameplay experience either.... But as the sole system I found them too weak. And the events don't create any social experience either.... The last 20 level zones are tough, some impossible to solo, and I felt like I was way too easy overpowered by mobs. So endgame felt more like a chore to me. I wasn't even able to finish my stories, because in the last level the story instances are too tough for me, and nobody ever joined me to help. :/

That is my summary. A lot of weakness and inability to bo social - sound right? Heard several game is too hard complaints a while back..

Getting a a giant whale into space by yourself would be easier than trying to form a team in this game. People are not social in this game at all. Those of us who were silly enough to think "well this is an mmo, maybe i'll try teamiung up with people and maybe make a friend or two" have tried hundreds of times to simply team up with people, but failed to. the only thing worse than this game is its community. You can even see it in the forums how nasty GW2 fans can be, blindly defending this game's flaws. You shouldn't have to bend over backwards to be social in an MMO

I have had no issues getting a team. Maybe it is just you  or just me, it is not that hard - /map 'LFG to do.......'  it works everytime.

I find people very social - I have been bouncing servers, helping friends who just started in the game. People are very friendly and helpful. Not sure what you are doing wrong.....

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Thillian
    I like you Elikal, I really do, but it takes you so damn long to evaluate games, 6 weeks for GW2? Come on, it was an obvious "fail" right after a couple of hours. 

Tbh., I give MMOs a chance much longer. I played Vanguard for almost a year, always on and off in the last half year. I played WAR 5 months and SWTOR 4 months before I stopped, and heck even went back for a bit now. I tend to give MMOs a long chance to grow on me or change via patches and updates. Same with GW2. In all these MMOs I DO have fun a while, otherwise I would not stay. All of these have/had good qualities. It's always a mixed bag. Hardly any MMO is entirely trash or bad. GW2 like other AAA MMOs surely has a lot of good qualities, but with some things I just feel unwell with them over time. Like the grindy nature of the "events" or the combat system. I felt well at first, but after a time I began to feel how simplistic and boring it is.

As I said, just from my perspective. But I tend to give MMOs chances. So I return after a break and updates, giving it new chances again and again. I always have hope the devs get things better, so I try it out again. Hence my kinda repetitive posts. I see things more sharp and clear and feel I want to write about my insights anew, when I think I can say it more clearly than before.

As to the same-ish feel of classes: *shrug* it felt to me like that. If I take classes from WOW or EQ2 or even LOTRO, I felt the classes played more distinct. Especially the WOW classes. Each of them plays REALLY different, and compared to that I didn't feel the classes in GW2 felt distinct enough. Or interesting enough in the long run, partially, because with level 10 you have almost all skills you EVER get. There is no evolution anymore, no cool new attacks or skills to look forward to which make a gamechanging experience. When I learned to transform into a Seal as Druid with level whatever, it was a whole new experience because I could not safely travel rivers, passing by mobs. Just as a tiny sniplet. That is what I expect in class/level advance: real changing skills. Here I miss that. My level 20 Ranger knows the same than any level 70 Ranger, maybe he gets another trap, which really is just a miniature addition. You simply learn nothing really new anymore. And as I said, nothing distincts the combat enough for my taste. The enemy is always toe to toe with you in no time, you always circle, evade and run around the enemy and there is no really different way. As I said, compare it to how vastly individual each class fights in WOW. Sorry if that WOW comparision pisses some people off.

I simply want many abilites. It's what bored me quick of DCUO as well, having those 5-6 abilities only, and it's what I am very weary about hearing from Elder Scrolls Online. I simply love to have many abilities at hand, because I think it makes a more interesting combat than being narrowed down to a few.

Hey, if GW2 is a roaring financial success for Anet, that's good for them. They are passionate good people. Nice for them. And if you have a blast, that's fine. I am not passionate about GW2 as I was with other games. It's objective fail or success bother me not at all.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

What is up with reviews and impressions being in General Discussion as of late? Though to be fair it happens with every MMO on their forums.

By the way Elikal, it's cool that it failedfor [you] and a few others.

Sorry for late edit.

Peace out.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94

you not the only one OP. Though this site is GW2 pro. Ppl are blind and they think the fact that its a free of sub based mmo (if you can even call it a mmo) it makes up for all the black bagging of accts and poor lack of support this game has. I for one pray every night b 4 i go to bed that this company hits a hardship soon and goes under...

My old guild from DayZ (consist of 24 ppl) were all pumped up and hyped for GW2 saying its the best game ever created since running water! Now only 2-3 of them play it, the rest say its boring. DURRRR Glad i didnt spend my hard earnd cash on this joke...rather spend it on the new Family Guy game 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Arcondo87

you not the only one OP. Though this site is GW2 pro. Ppl are blind and they think the fact that its a free of sub based mmo (if you can even call it a mmo) it makes up for all the black bagging of accts and poor lack of support this game has. I for one pray every night b 4 i go to bed that this company hits a hardship soon and goes under...

My old guild from DayZ (consist of 24 ppl) were all pumped up and hyped for GW2 saying its the best game ever created since running water! Now only 2-3 of them play it, the rest say its boring. DURRRR Glad i didnt spend my hard earnd cash on this joke...rather spend it on the new Family Guy game 

Where to start. If you look at the site, this site is GW2 negative (the forum not the actual content). The content is neutral - the reviews are the reviewers opinion and it is just as valid as yours.

THe point is, this game is doing fine WITHOUT a sub and it brings up the question - why are the other games asking subs. Answer I came up with is because people like you think they HAVE to pay a sub. You think you get a better game because of it and it not neccessarilty true.

I don't wish bad on any company. There are too many unemployed people out there. Your attitude reminds of the little kid who couldn't have his way, so he stamped his feet and had temper tantrums non stop until he got is way.

My guild DvDF, was around 50 people  at the start of GW2 and we are now 250-300 people now because people like the game and want to be in a very active guild.

Spend you money on Family Guy - yoour choice. Just don't belittle other people's choice either.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Arcondo87

WTF? lol

Alright last post in this thread I promise, I know I said Peace out earlier, but this made my day.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

Emphasis on *for me*. I have no clue how active people are in general. Tho I'd like to know.

Really, it was just a short lived experienced, strangely even MUCH shorter than ANY other big MMO of the last years. Heck, I played SWTOR 4-5 months before I really had enough. Here, after 6 weeks I really began to feel tired and bored. I mean, don't get me wrong, visually and by design this is probably THE most beautiful game world, at least in fantasy. But so much other stuff just didn't work for me. I can just sum up some impressions.

- COMBAT SYSTEM: While I enjoyed the fresh and different feeling at first a lot, the longer I played the more bored I felt. In some way, most classes played way too similar. For instance, a WOW Druid or Mage REALLY play different. Not to speak of their various specializations. In GW2 a Warrior and Vanguard doesn't feel different, and even a Thief and a Ranger feel just a bit different. Not really overmuch. The few skills you have really limit the variaty, and I miss my 3-4 full skillbars and the many options how to fight. Any char loses health WAAAY too fast, so it forces you to lolcopter and evade, which over time just began to get on my nerves and making me feel weak.

- LACK OF TRINITY: Yeah I am an outspoken fan of the Trinity, because I love the REAL cooperation of teams it allows. Any other jack-of-all-trade system like GW2 never ever worked creating good teamplay. There isn't much in terms of social gameplay experience either. *shrug*

- EVENTS: At first this event system really looked pleasing and fun. But again, over time I began to feel dull and nauseated. I really stopped caring for the story, and just realized I was simply grinding that damn bar that filled as I did whatever the "event" told me to. I never thought I say that, but I actually miss real quests. Somehow I can't help but think a real quest can bring more diversity that these "fill bar X while doing Y" event stuff. Events would have been good additionally, like the Rifts. But as the sole system I found them too weak. And the events don't create any social experience either. Unlike in Rift people are not grouped and thus not inclined to do stuff together still. Everyone just silently works "together" a while and then runs off.

- BORING ENDGAME: As ever so often, GW2 didn't make much better endgame. I like the open world WvW a lot, but how long can you conquer the same castle over and over until it gets old? The last 20 level zones are tough, some impossible to solo, and I felt like I was way too easy overpowered by mobs. So endgame felt more like a chore to me. I wasn't even able to finish my stories, because in the last level the story instances are too tough for me, and nobody ever joined me to help. :/

*shrug* If you enjoy the game, thats really fine. But I am really let down. MORE than by SWTOR to be honest. I am not that angry because I was a huge Star Wars fan, and I never cared that much about GW2. I really wanted to like it, and at first I was totally thriled. But the longer I played the more I got bored, and I really never got bored THAT fast than with GW2. Just my two cents.

Funy thing is when i said almost the same things on the 1st glimp of a game and said what we will expect from GW2 when it goes live i got baned from moderators every time :D

It makes me wonder why is that?

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by botrytis

Where to start. If you look at the site, this site is GW2 negative (the forum not the actual content). The content is neutral - the reviews are the reviewers opinion and it is just as valid as yours.

GW2 negative? Oh it's say worse than that, this whole website is MMO negative. After trashing SWTOR for being a "WoW clone" (A term I still don't agree with) they now hate GW2 for being too different from WoW. Oh well, I'm sure next year the haters will go straight back into the WoW-clone mode, "WHY DID I PAY $60 FOR WOW IN CYRODIL!!! BLARG WOW CLONE BLARG"

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by UWNVME
    Originally posted by botrytis

GW2 negative? Oh it's say worse than that, this whole website is MMO negative. After trashing SWTOR for being a "WoW clone" (A term I still don't agree with) they now hate GW2 for being too different from WoW. Oh well, I'm sure next year the haters will go straight back into the WoW-clone mode, "WHY DID I PAY $60 FOR WOW IN CYRODIL!!! BLARG WOW CLONE BLARG"

I don't think this site is negative towards GW2.  Not if you don't count the same 5 to 10 people who repeatedly post negative stuff.  Once you dismiss the opinions or those people and their "Mr. 1 post alt" you are left with a very positive impression.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well i my age is over 500 hours so far, and still i didnt got bored the game...

maybe is cause i play with my gf who is noob, and i have slow rates of game exploration, maybe there is the pleasure, cause i never bored the game ... and my main is engineer with limited weapon choices ..!

anyway thats about personal taste, you stayed at SWtoR for 4 months i couldnt stay for 4 hours, thanks god they had open beta..

gl on your next game : )

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    The OP sums it up nicely for me.  Especially the lack of Trinity. 

You make me like charity

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Basically same here.   I'd go into more detail, but I've discussed this entire subject enough.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92

I got over 900hrs and I love it. I read what you said and I dont agree with it at all.

However this is just me. Without trinity is wonderful and yes because their no 100% you gotta fill this role. Group can really suck sometimes.

However, if you know the people and work together it way more fun then any trinity. You cover each other backs, keep changing roles and so on.

Again this is just how I see it, but it the best MMO Ive play yet.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,256
    It took me about 2 months to max cooking, hit 80 and get 93% map completion. Now I can't even bother to log in for the last 7%. I very much enjoyed playing the Necromancer and my guild is always buzzing with people (30 online normally and 450 in the guild). I just don't feel like running dungeons or more pvp. I can't blame Gw@, I seem to be like that with all games eventually but it just happened quickly with this game it seems.
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Captain Jean-Luc Picard:Sarek of Vulcan never confused what he wanted with the truth.

Let's internet

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i tool a long break from this game and just went back starting over a new guardian to mess around on . I lasted about three days until i went back to swtor and that has to speak volumes in my eyes. The same 5 skill mashing with no progression at all was just outright boring to me now after i took a break . Combat didnt even feel fun it just felt gimickly like tera was now. Playing SWTOR again for awhile just makes me appriciate the trinity system and more defined class rolls and much better RP story than GW2 has. Like I said just an opinion but i feel like GW2 tried to do everything to make themselves different but did it all half assed and its just not fun to me. SWTOR has tons of issues to inlcuding a nitwit team that just doesnt get it , but the combat is still trinity based but has some action to it better than Rift wow etc.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by EsLafiel
    I got over 900hrs and I love it. I read what you said and I dont agree with it at all.However this is just me. Without trinity is wonderful and yes because their no 100% you gotta fill this role. Group can really suck sometimes. However, if you know the people and work together it way more fun then any trinity. You cover each other backs, keep changing roles and so on. Again this is just how I see it, but it the best MMO Ive play yet.

I would really like to see proof of that just out of sheer amazement. Over 900 hours? Thats ten hours a day, seven days a week for three months.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,764

I guess this is a very influential and well informed topic from the OP. I'm sold and I'll hang it up right here.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Yep, a big, big fail... buy to play, no subscription fee, and monthly FREE content patches (one is already planned for January, so that doesn't stop in December)... HOW DARE THEY? This is really total fail. Sub par service. I mean, I paid 60 bucks for this game, and I get free content thrown at me at least 3x faster than any other MMORPG on the market...That's it, I'm canceling my subscription as we speak.
    But what has that to do with the game play aspects? Does your list make a game good or bad or indifferent? In order to make a successful game in your eyes, all it needs is a box price and free monthly updates with no monthly sub?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by cronius77
    i tool a long break from this game and just went back starting over a new guardian to mess around on . I lasted about three days until i went back to swtor and that has to speak volumes in my eyes. The same 5 skill mashing with no progression at all was just outright boring to me now after i took a break . Combat didnt even feel fun it just felt gimickly like tera was now. Playing SWTOR again for awhile just makes me appriciate the trinity system and more defined class rolls and much better RP story than GW2 has. Like I said just an opinion but i feel like GW2 tried to do everything to make themselves different but did it all half assed and its just not fun to me. SWTOR has tons of issues to inlcuding a nitwit team that just doesnt get it , but the combat is still trinity based but has some action to it better than Rift wow etc.

See I really like the combat and the more action oriented RaiderZ style (I didn't play Tera).  When Iog into games that have target locked combat it just feels very formulaic and programatic.  Why move because the attack is going to hit me anyway.  I get the snare/cc to get out of melee range, but spells and ranged attacks don't miss unless the rng math formula dictates.  I still enjoy a couple games with that style of combat, but I don't enjoy them for that combat, but for whatever else they have to offer.

Again with the Trinity: it's not something I mind, but the way it's implemented in most games feels so cookie cutter and predefined.  I don't mind a soft trinity with classes that can absorb or mitigate damage, but the forced aggro mechanic just drives me crazy.  I actually like the aggro mechanic in GW2.  I do enjoy healing and miss that role, but I also enjoy the cc and shutdown roles too and GW2 does offer that.

I'm hoping games in the future (Neverwinter and Wildstar come to mind) will combine some more of the action oriented combat with some traditional roles but leave out the very dated forced aggro mechanic.  The forced aggro is something that either needs to evolve or die.

the one thing i did really like about Tera was the block mechanic on lancers , i know its just stand there but manually blocking big attacks was fun instead of having to dodge as a tank. Guild Wars 2 floating combat was great for the first month and during beta for me , but after going back to SWTOR and still having no auto attack it just felt better to me even though its kinda just standing there unless you play a ranged class. I'll tell you one thing swtor got right over a lot of games is there interrupt system . I see people on the forums complaining about how hard missions are all the time but if you use your interrupts , you can easily just about solo any elite or hero mob with no issues at all. I just wish guild wars 2 had a form of trinity system and more progression in terms of skills and feats . I enjoyed how beautiful the world was but like i said earlier the game to me just feels like it was so trying to be different than wow Rift WAR etc , that it missed the point entirely about what makes people still enjoy those games and go back to them.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

I guess this is a very influential and well informed topic from the OP. I'm sold and I'll hang it up right here.

He's welcome to his opinion.  If it hurts your feelings, don't contribute to the thread.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    The main problem I have with this game is the pathetic system of dropping your lvl to that of the area your in! For me a lot of the game is impossible to solo, so when you get to lvl 80, there is no going back to undiscovered areas to complete it. A lvl 80 char being killed by a lvl 20 boss is pathetic!