Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Heroic Space Missions in v1.6 Detailed

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Zekiah
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Zekiah Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Zekiah I thought they were going to replace the space-on-rails system.
    Why would you think that? That doesn't make any more sense than the people who thought SWToR was going to be SWG2. ** edit ** The space missions are one of the few things that people actually like about the game. Why wouldn't they add to it?  
    People actually like Star Wars on rails eh?   God help us...
    The last time they published something related to players, it was five hundred thousand people. That seems like a good indicator that at least some of those people liked the space game. Certainly more people like the space game than post here on MMORPG.com. But again, why would anyone expect or even suspect that EA would change the space game from what it is?  
    Because space-on-rails doesn't belong in a Star Wars MMO, it belongs in Firefox. It's a disgrace and a slap in the face to Star Wars fans.

If you like it, good for you. I happen to find it detestable and a disgrace.

I understand not liking it. That makes perfect sense. People like and dislike things all the time. Expecting EA to spend millions of dollars on something because of you don't like it, with no evidence that the preference is shared by a significant number of people doesn't make sense.

Let's go with space missions are horrible and people in general don't like them. The space missions were known to be on rails before the game launched. Almost three million people bought the game anyway. If the system was horrible, it obviously wasn't important enough to prevent people from buying the game, so it's not important enough for EA to spend the money changing it.

Except the idea that space missions are horrible isn't shared by everyone. So we have the space missions are not that important, plus some people like them. It makes no sense to spend the resources to change them.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Zekiah I thought they were going to replace the space-on-rails system.
    Why would you think that? That doesn't make any more sense than the people who thought SWToR was going to be SWG2. ** edit ** The space missions are one of the few things that people actually like about the game. Why wouldn't they add to it?  
    The last time they published something related to players, it was five hundred thousand people. That seems like a good indicator that at least some of those people liked the space game. Certainly more people like the space game than post here on MMORPG.com. But again, why would anyone expect or even suspect that EA would change the space game from what it is?  
    Because space-on-rails doesn't belong in a Star Wars MMO, it belongs in Firefox. It's a disgrace and a slap in the face to Star Wars fans.

I understand not liking it. That makes perfect sense. People like and dislike things all the time. Expecting EA to spend millions of dollars on something because of you don't like it, with no evidence that the preference is shared by a significant number of people doesn't make sense.

Let's go with space missions are horrible and people in general don't like them. The space missions were known to be on rails before the game launched. Almost three million people bought the game anyway. If the system was horrible, it obviously wasn't important enough to prevent people from buying the game, so it's not important enough for EA to spend the money changing it.

Except the idea that space missions are horrible isn't shared by everyone. So we have the space missions are not that important, plus some people like them. It makes no sense to spend the resources to change them.

People gave the game a chance, even with information that suggested it was bad. When it was confirmed that the game was bad and that this was at odds with the level of anticipation/excitement, there was an immediate reaction against further posturing by the company to keep promoting this game as a great experience.

That they continue to promote the same bad features with ongoing development is an amazing piece of mendacity. Helping to promote this, even if you personally like those features, is a disservice to the community as a whole.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

ok let's spell it out for EA since they just don't seem to have gotten the message:

your space on rails sucks major donkey tail.Nobody likes it, and it's hands down the worst feature SWTOR ever came up with. period.

THROWING MONEY AT IT WONT MAKE ANY MORE POPULAR.

seriously! "on rail" space shooters were cool in 1990. now days it's just.... insulting, especially in an mmo. 

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Can people please stop to downtalk classic and modern on rail shooters?

They all got more depth and gameplay systems than swtor's "thing" could dream off.

For starters:

* The big enemy ship /stations actually blows up when i shoot it to pieces.
    * My rockets and lasers didn't fly through asteroids. I actually needed to wait to shoot
    * I couldn't just upgrade my shielding and go trolololol mouse button 1 spam

I understand most didn't bother to look close on swtor's "thing", but don't insult star fox over this.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Zekiah I thought they were going to replace the space-on-rails system.

Um, I don't see much support for space-on-rails in this thread other than you. The game has been failing since launch, even the *cough* free to play is failing.

Perhaps a new and vibrant free-roam, Star Wars like system would rejuvenate the dying game. But whatever, they're not going to do that and instead add missions to the crappy system.

At least one person will be happy with that decision. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by Alphamojo

I don't understand....since when was Star Wars ever a free fly system....hell even in the movies they were on rails....I don't see what everyone's beef is?!

If they allowed free fly, it'll just be a bunch of people flying around aimless....

There's a BIG BIG difference between fly-by-wire and fly-on-rails.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The first thing you can be sure of is:

They WILL add more "heroic" space missions !

The second thing you can be sure of:

The space game is always going to be a single-player "on-rails" shooter.

It will take a huge effort to develop a new free-form multiplayer space add-on to the existing game. The cost will never justify the returns. EA will gain far far more by spending that development time and money by expanding the "core" game.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

The problem I have with all this boils down to the statments we had durring beta, that seamed to have been a total lie.

We have a lot of banked content ready to go,  ummm yea where is it at.  Insted he were updating space.

Because space-on-rails doesn't belong in a Star Wars MMO, it belongs in Firefox. It's a disgrace and a slap in the face to Star Wars fans.   If you like it, good for you. I happen to find it detestable and a disgrace.
    I understand not liking it. That makes perfect sense. People like and dislike things all the time. Expecting EA to spend millions of dollars on something because of you don't like it, with no evidence that the preference is shared by a significant number of people doesn't make sense. Let's go with space missions are horrible and people in general don't like them. The space missions were known to be on rails before the game launched. Almost three million people bought the game anyway. If the system was horrible, it obviously wasn't important enough to prevent people from buying the game, so it's not important enough for EA to spend the money changing it. Except the idea that space missions are horrible isn't shared by everyone. So we have the space missions are not that important, plus some people like them. It makes no sense to spend the resources to change them.  
    Um, I don't see much support for space-on-rails in this thread other than you. The game has been failing since launch, even the *cough* free to play is failing.

Perhaps a new and vibrant free-roam, Star Wars like system would rejuvenate the dying game. But whatever, they're not going to do that and instead add missions to the crappy system.

At least one person will be happy with that decision. 

I don't even play the game. I haven't said anything about the space missions being good or bad, other than there are people who like the space missions. There are people who play and complete the space missions, or EA wouldn't spend any money on the space missions at all. They wouldn't bother with creating resources to upgrade the ships either. This is the company that wants to charge people for skill bars. They wouldn't spend the money on the current space missions if they didn't expect it to be worth it.

** edit **
    It's not for lack of trying, mind you. I just can't get into the questing outside of the character story line.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I don't understand....since when was Star Wars ever a free fly system....hell even in the movies they were on rails....I don't see what everyone's beef is?!

If they allowed free fly, it'll just be a bunch of people flying around aimless....

Huh?  It is a shame you never played SWG, the space portion was one of it's best points and you never flew around aimlessly ever.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Huh?  It is a shame you never played SWG, the space portion was one of it's best points and you never flew around aimlessly ever.

Hmmm I think I saw some videos of players trying to land on Tatooine. It looked pretty aimless to me LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g97RVEp1t6Q

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Hmmm I think I saw some videos of players trying to land on Tatooine. It looked pretty aimless to me LOL.

lol.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    I thought they were going to replace the space-on-rails system.

Nope, not only are they not going to replace it, they are adding to it.  This is something my kids had fun with 20 years ago in the arcade.  It has no place in a MMO, let alone a AAA MMO. 

Pretty much tells you what a bunch of imbeciles they have for developers in this game.

Basically.   Makes me wonder what games they play and what kind of gamers are telling them that their game and this type of system in the game is any good.  Cuz they need to stop listening to those customers, lol.  Talk about out of touch, wow.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Jonoku

lol.

Toooooooooo funny.

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

The Star Wars: The Old Republic blog has been updated with a new post that details some of the forthcoming heroic space missions in v1.6. Lead Designer Michael Backus relays the information that these new missions will be 'incredibly challenging' for high level players.

These missions will be repeatable, incredibly challenging, and reward players who enjoy the current Space Missions. Our goal is to make these missions worthy of the most skilled players, and completing them, along with their Bonus Objectives, should test the greatest pilots. To help in this endeavor, players will also be able to get new upgrades for their ship, attainable through various means like trade skills and specialty vendors. The rewards for these missions will also be increased, and hopefully provide new motivations for players who want to improve their gear for use in Flashpoints and Operations.

Read the full post on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

Thanks for the info, I'm unclear why conversation about an mmorpg on the website mmorpg causes so many tourists angst but keep up the good work.

They must get nerd points for saying the word fail and pointing out how the game sucks and so on. I would be happy to demonstrate how this could apply to anything anyone else is playing.

GW2 is overhyped fail, Eve is accounting online fail, Rift is Wow fail, Wow is kung fu panda fail, Secret word is not so secret fail, anything with a big player base is fail for sheeple, anything without a big player base is hipster fail.

Goofballs who dont play any mmorpgs but post about everyone elses are ignorant drones, atleast I didn't say fail. Let me beat them to it , this reply is fail.

It never gets old.......er wait yes it really does, now go play a game.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Well that's a single player game aspect .... So yeah I guess some MMO gamers wouldn't be happy about it. Cause it's not massive, nor multiplayer, and about as online as DRM for SP games which require a Internet connection ...

Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by Jonoku Originally posted by Sevenstar61 Hmmm I think I saw some videos of players trying to land on Tatooine. It looked pretty aimless to me LOL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g97RVEp1t6Q
    lol.
    Toooooooooo funny.

I think the best bits are the ones where it's obvious people just gave up and left their ships hanging in the air at odd angles. :-)

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

That was atmospheric flight, not space.

In my opinion, SWTOR has a long way to go with developing space before it can start scratching the surface of what SOE put out there nearly a decade ago.

Getting rid of the rails and the single-player aspects would be a good start.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Another uninformed post.  That was atmospheric flight.  Before embarrassing yourself you really should do more research.

Many of us actually resub'd to SWG, even after NGE, just for the space portion.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61 Originally posted by Ozmodan Originally posted by Alphamojo I don't understand....since when was Star Wars ever a free fly system....hell even in the movies they were on rails....I don't see what everyone's beef is?! If they allowed free fly, it'll just be a bunch of people flying around aimless....
    Hmmm I think I saw some videos of players trying to land on Tatooine. It looked pretty aimless to me LOL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g97RVEp1t6Q
    Another uninformed post.  That was atmospheric flight.  Before embarrassing yourself you really should do more research.

Why would those people be any less aimless using the space flight portion of the game?

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Originally posted by Alphamojo I don't understand....since when was Star Wars ever a free fly system....hell even in the movies they were on rails....I don't see what everyone's beef is?! If they allowed free fly, it'll just be a bunch of people flying around aimless....
    Hmmm I think I saw some videos of players trying to land on Tatooine. It looked pretty aimless to me LOL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g97RVEp1t6Q

Why would those people be any less aimless using the space flight portion of the game?

Targets, waypoints, objectives, resource nodes, etc...

Many people DID remain subbed after the NGE just for space. A ship was a mobile, customizable home.

After mastering the pilot profession, I enjoyed mastering shipcrafting where I could build customizable components tailored to the needs of my clients. I specialized in entry-level pilot ships and parts.

SWG's space game was anything but aimless.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Humour bypass, me thinks.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by Vayman

Originally posted by Alphamojo I don't understand....since when was Star Wars ever a free fly system....hell even in the movies they were on rails....I don't see what everyone's beef is?! If they allowed free fly, it'll just be a bunch of people flying around aimless....
    Another uninformed post.  That was atmospheric flight.  Before embarrassing yourself you really should do more research.   Many of us actually resub'd to SWG, even after NGE, just for the space portion.  
    Targets, waypoints, objectives, resource nodes, etc...

Many people DID remain subbed after the NGE just for space. A ship was a mobile, customizable home.

After mastering the pilot profession, I enjoyed mastering shipcrafting where I could build customizable components tailored to the needs of my clients. I specialized in entry-level pilot ships and parts.

SWG's space game was anything but aimless.

So you're saying the people in the video, who couldn't land their ships would be even better at a portion of the game where they have even more stuff to keep track of? That doesn't make sense. If they couldn't do one thing right, it stands to reason that giving them six things to do wouldn't work any better.

Also, statements like "many people DID remain subbed", are kind of pointless. Three hundred thousand people were playing the game at the its peak. Of course many people stayed subbed to play the space game. Many people left the game because of the space game. Many people stayed subbed for reasons that had nothing to do with the space game. Many people left the game for reasons that had nothing to do with the space game. For that matter, many people are playing SWToR because of the space game there. "Many" doesn't convey much in the way of meaning. That means zip in relation to SWToR's space game anyway.

SWG was a sandbox. An opened ended space game made sense in the context of the game. SWToR is not a sandbox. Many people on these forums won't even allow that it's an MMORPG. Adding an open ended space game makes as much sense as taking a mediocre MMORPG and adding layers of voice overs and cut scenes for every single quest.

If they did add an opened ended space game, using the Hero Engine, that would make them some sort of technological or developer geniuses. Call me pessimistic, but I don't really see that happening.

** edit **
    SWG died. It was just a game. Get over it because it's never coming back.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

SWTOR is not my type of game here either, and I can see what people are saying here, but a lot of the comments here are vastly mis-informed, or just people trolling games they don't like by expressing negative posts on a game they don't understand the concepts on or mechanics so everyone else has to dis-like it with them.

I wasn't going to mention it, but Right now Bioware are working on a large space project for SWTOR which won't be space on rails. It is something completly new, They had mentioned they were working on a "Super Space Project" which won't be out for quite some time. It will feature Heroic space missions were you can roam around with your friends, kind of like SWG had when they introduced the space flight. They are also adding in new species, and if the Cathar are sucsessful on the Market Place they will be adding more as adding in New Races to any MMO's are very expspensive and require a lot of resources, because they have to remodel all the wearables in the game (Quite a lot of work) They also are working on a new expansion, and I have a feeling part of the expansion will be the new space project they are working on. I'm not sure though as I don't work for Bioware.

Personally I'm kind of sick and tired of hearing the "fail" comments on every MMO on this site, especially from people who think they are clevar when they just look like trolling jackasses to the people who are actually playing the game, or subscribing to it. FYI when a MMO is fail, it's only fail when the company has desided to take down all the servers and stop funding it because the company has run out of resources to keep the game running. I'm not a fanboi of this game, I don't even like SWTOR myself as I prefer Sandbox MMO's. But please do some research and be constructive.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I thought they were going to replace the space-on-rails system.

You mean the super secret space project, from that we wont hear anything for some time.

This is just another mission but somewhat harder i heared.